• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coolclimate0

Oct 27, 2017
So-Cal
Apparently Sony rewards is going to reward you for collecting your trophies. I've used Sony rewards quite a few times, a thousand points can get you a $10 card. This is good news for anyone who is hunted trophies in the past. And now when people ask you why do you care about trophies, you've got a legitimate answer.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/04/playstation-trophies-sony-rewards/

• 100 Silver trophies – 100 points
  • 25 Gold trophies – 250 points
  • 10 Platinum trophies – 1000 points

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there some kind of save editor out there that will let you get any trophy you want? I'm pretty sure that's what fucked up that auction Sony did a few years back where you bid using Platinum trophies. The same will likely happen with this.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmm that's 60 platinum trophies to earn enough to buy one full price game (at $60). Doesn't seem particularly generous. Unless I'm missing something.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally my obsession with trying to plat every game I play will do something good for me.

Let me guess though our current lists won't count at all it'll just be from whenever this starts right?

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trophy Hunters are gonna have a field day with this.

I don't see how; most platinums take at least 15-20 hours each, and that's generally with "rushing." So 150 hours for a $10 bonus, which is good for people who would've been doing it anyway and hopefully enjoying the games they're playing, but going out of your way for this by spamming easy games wouldn't make much sense, as you'd likely invest much more into buying them beforehand.

It would've been cool to have been retroactive, even with a hard cap of say 5000 points or so. But as it stands, a lot of trophy hunters have probably already earned most of the trophies they wanted, so...

Isn't there some kind of save editor out there that will let you get any trophy you want? I'm pretty sure that's what fucked up that auction Sony did a few years back where you bid using Platinum trophies. The same will likely happen with this.

On PS4, it can assist in speeding through certain games that are supported with cheats, and people share their saves which can unlock most trophies, but the software costs like $60 itself, so ignoring the cost of the games it'd take 60 platinums to get your money back and you'd only be able to spend it on PSN lol

Edit: I forgot that technically if you still have a PS3, then I think there are still purely hackable trophies...

Last edited:

Supersnazzi

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Holy smokes this is pretty darn cool. However, I'm guessing that if you link accounts if won't count the trophies the player has already unlocked?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that's 60 platinum trophies to earn enough to buy one full price game (at $60). Doesn't seem particularly generous. Unless I'm missing something.

No it's not generous at all. I "only" have 65 platinums total through like 10 years of PSN. I don't think this is meant to be something to be taken advantage of, just a nice bonus you get naturally over time as you game. That is if there's no time limit on these at least.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I remember doing a similar thing on the xbox360 years ago. Got the 1000 achievment points needed for whatever it was and then realised ithe promotion was only for the USA

Redevil

Oct 31, 2017
I wish it was more similar to Ubisoft Points, where you earn trophies/accomplish specific objectives and you accumulate points that you can redeem for 20% discount in the shop, including collectibles, games etc...

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sucks that this isnt retroactive. Oh well i got a backlog of a ton of new games to still play.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how; most platinums take at least 15-20 hours each, and that's generally with "rushing." So 150 hours for a $10 bonus, which is good for people who would've been doing it anyway and hopefully enjoying the games they're playing, but going out of your way for this by spamming easy games wouldn't make much sense, as you'd likely invest much more into buying them beforehand.

It would've been cool to have been retroactive, even with a hard cap of say 5000 points or so. But as it stands, a lot of trophy hunters have probably already earned most of the trophies they wanted, so...
Even without it being retroactive, they'll still stand to benefit the most from this system. If they don't have Gamefly accounts now, they will soon.

Ithaca

Oct 28, 2017
It's nice that Sony is making a move in this direction though. I only have 600ish reward points from PSN purchases to date.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's neat but as someone who already has 40 Platniums this is pretty deflating that none of that work retroactively matters.