• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
UxqYDK0.jpg

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Really like it, homage or not. Looks very clean, and will work on multiple fronts.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
love it. simple and looks videogamey. i don't think the resemblance to that old logo is even a conversation worth having though. if it ended up being a real product and the trademark/logo was still in use maybe.

also: yuck at assholes on twitter.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool logo and I'm glad we're hopefully moving beyond the age of ridiculously minimalist logos.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
There's no way that's a coincidence.

Probably Sony taking a dig at Nintendo for the old project. There's no way Sony doesn't see there resemblance and then blatantly calling it out on twitter

The old San Diego Studios logo did the same thing, with an S on top of a D. It just wasn't as legible.

I think saying this is "Sony taking a dig at Nintendo" is sort of reading into things a bit. It…doesn't really make sense.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Following the Nintendo filosophy of never throwing away anything, just repurpose for something else, I see.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Tbh, I would not even mind a Breath of the Wild 2 on a much more powerful console. Oh, unfortunately we can only dream..

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like Sony studios using the name of their residing city as their name. Feels kinda soulless. Wish them the best tho, Rock on.

Uggh, don't remind me of that atrocity. I will never forgive them for killing this PIECE OF FUCKING ART :

images

While I don't think the new Santa Monica logo is amazing I'll take anything over that early 2000s looking logo. I'm pretty sure I hear Godsmack emanating from that logo. Are they a video game studio or a tattoo shop? Sorry I just am not a fan of that logo.
Yes, Sony and Nintendo are merging. Switch will be renamed to Vita Switch.

No, it'll be called the Switch Vita, translating to Switch Life cause we're all living that Switch Life. lol

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is this a slap in the face? Or is this simply an homage to the peripheral that started the ball rolling for Sony and video games, ultimately leading to every job at Sony Santa Monica, thus being why they would want to honor it. I lean toward the latter, but I'm sure some will misrepresent it.

Thoughts?
whose face even?!?!?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I was waiting when they'd support USB optical drives on Switch. Fuckin' finally. Now to read the thread.

But no seriously that's a cool logo and I wonder if anyone even looked at the superdisc logo first.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What inspiration?

Original logo and tech were designed by Sony.
NVAc2b3.png

And same for PS1, they basically started from scratch after that.

... and their short lived alliance. You stopped reading at Nintendo, didn't you.

It's very likely that an employee of Sony also came up with the name PlayStation, but that is something that was carried on from the time of their alliance.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably coincidence, but pretty funny in light of how many times Sony has looked at Nintendo and their short lived alliance for inspiration.
What does this even mean?
... and their short lived alliance. You stopped reading at Nintendo, didn't you.

It's very likely that an employee of Sony also came up with the name PlayStation, but that is something that was carried on from the time of their alliance.
This explains nothing.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
New logo:

The Super Disc:

NVAc2b3.png

From Wikipedia,

Is this a slap in the face? Or is this simply an homage to the peripheral that started the ball rolling for Sony and video games, ultimately leading to every job at Sony Santa Monica, thus being why they would want to honor it. I lean toward the latter, but I'm sure some will misrepresent it.

Thoughts?

Wtf? Haha...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it. Its a very "Sony" logo.

Looks like something you would see printed on a MiniDisc

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
You can already drop "very likely", because that name (PlayStation) was Kutaragi's idea.
And idea behind PS name was quite simple actually (from Reiji Asakura's book):

MTmjrA8.jpg

^ phrase in the quote is Kutaragi's words.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Which one is San Diego studio ? What games they have done previously? Vr stuff ?don't remember them at all

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Designed by the talented Cory Schmitz.

Also, this is probably just coincidence. Not everything has a hidden meaning.
Cory is hit and miss for me. Often I can look at his work and think it's derivative of other pieces he's designed. For example you could switch out the typeface between the Polygon and SSM logos and you'd not be able to tell which company should have which brand mark. This is clearly a derivative mark, and Sony probably said "please modernise"

If he worked on this good job. But let's not pretend it's an amazing reinvention when most of the work was already done.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
If a company's new logo is completely lacking in design, you can always tell that useless fucking hack Cory Schmitz was involved.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Nintendo Land Orlando to feature sister Sony World. See Mario, Tingle, Peach walk about with Kratos, Parappa and Blasto!

Switch Mini secretly Vita 2 with full Vita BC. 😭