• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
9IBdE2M.jpg

Exciting :D

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's always a possibility when studios have major hirings - that being said, I dunno if those jobs alone mean it's bulking up for a 2nd project. SSM isn't that big in terms of internal staff headcount to begin with.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe GOw2 being most likely cross gen means needing to get more people to ensure both versions are optimised

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2 is 100% certain, but a second project would be cool too. Especially if it's an RPG.

Yes, I'm going to keep banging that drum until Sony listens.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, don't these companies typically lose a lot of staff after a big game ships? 15+ new job placements doesn't seem that large, when they could have shed a similar number after GoW shipped and now they're ready to re-hire again in preparation of their next development.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Sony going tall instead of wide with there studios. Might need to change the name Worldwide studios to Worldtall Studios.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they are going all out on God of War Part 2.

Like Open World, even bigger budget, etc.

I dont think they are going to make 2 projects at the same time when GOW2 needs to be absolutely awesome.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like when studios are able to work on different projects rather than being a factory for a single IP. It'd be great if SSM's next release is a new IP, then GOW2 after that.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was said around the time GoW released that Cory was pushing to work on a new IP but that he and the writers pretty much had the next like 4 GoW's already planned out story-wise. So this would be my guess as to the 2 teams they'd have. One for GoW and one for whatever Cory's working on.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah.

Looks like Sony are expanding their studios rather than buying new ones. They are doing the same at Guerilla and they have that other mysterious studio in San Diego working with their visual arts group.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5447306/sony-santa-monica-layoffs

After Ascension, Stig Admunsen worked with a big team on a new SF IP. That project failed, lots of people got fired, and all the rest were thrown to recently returned Corey Barlog, who had to scramble to give them something to do.

Stig is now at Respawn, working on a new action Star Wars game.
He mentioned people leaving after GoW shipped. This was before. I was wondering if the studio had another mass reduction in force after GoW.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This.

God of War 2 and Spider Man 2 are guarantees for two reasons.

The first games this year sold very well so far, and.... their "secret endings" suggest next games. (TBH, they need to continue where they left off)
Hyping up something like GoW did with it's ending should be illegal.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call that hiring spree. Naughty Dog regularly has more open positions that this (and they hired around 20 new people in august alone) :P

Last edited:

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I would be pissed if they didn't at least plan on rolling out a trilogy, nevemind just a sequel to GoW.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hyping up something like GoW did with it's ending should be illegal.
the idea of them not continuing what happened
and implying that Atreus and Kratos would eventually fight each other as Atreus grows as well as Thor and Odin needing to take their wraith out on Kratos and son... plus Freya being their enemy now..

if they did not continue this, that would be the crime./

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible they're thinking of a second team, but like, when you hire up for a second team, it's not uncommon to have 50+ job openings.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I hope so, but it could also be just them bulking up for next gen development, they need more bodies for longer dev cycles. SSM is also known for helping smaller studios with development, it's possible they're hiring for that too. I sincerely hope they are producing 2 AAA projects, but I'm also going to remain cautiously optimistic.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, but it could also be just them bulking up for next gen development, they need more bodies for longer dev cycles. SSM is also known for helping smaller studios with development, it's possible they're hiring for that too. I sincerely hope they are producing 2 AAA projects, but I'm also going to remain cautiously optimistic.

I think they don't do that anymore.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2 is 100% certain, but a second project would be cool too. Especially if it's an RPG.

Yes, I'm going to keep banging that drum until Sony listens.
You have my drum as well, I think RPG would be a great genre to invest to given that Sony's strenght is it's stories. I prefer a more 'deeper' one, Horizon is very lite in rpg mechanics even though Imlove the game

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Santa Monica still doing their partnerships with indie developers that resulted in stuff like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Bound ?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War in Egypt lets go.
god-of-war-egypt-07a9.jpg

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Really? Was that ever confirmed? They've been helping indie studios for a long time.
They haven't done it for a few years now, most of that team are heading up Annapurna Interactive these days.

It'd make a lot of sense for SSM to form a second team since Barlog has made it pretty clear he wants to stick with tradition and let someone else direct the next GoW and create a new IP, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens. I always feel like it's important to point out it wouldn't be a full second team though, it'd be more in line with Naughty Dog's 1.5 team structure. Most of the studio would work on GoW2 while a small team headed up by Barlog begins pre-production on the new IP.