• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/for...rs-outraged-over-switch-cross-play-issue.html

Sony shares were down over 2 percent after the backlash.

"I was a tester on PC whos (sic) finished every season and spent hundreds of dollars on the game but nope no Switch play for me since I played once on a PS4," on person on Reddit wrote.

Such limitations don't exist when playing on Microsoft's Xbox One first and then the Swtich.

A Sony spokesperson was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC, but issued a statement to the BBC explaining how it has 80 million monthly active users on its PlayStation Network and is always interested in hearing feedback from the gaming community.

"We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms," the spokesperson said.

"We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point."

A spokesperson for Epic Games, the developer behind "Fortnite" was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.

Not entirely sure both (Shared Down X Fortnite Xplay Backslash) are direct cause and effect, but if it is, better be a wake up call for Sony to embrace the multi platform cross play. Sony likely keep it closed to keep the Peer Pressure Factor, but if future games were Log In to PS even ones blocks you out from any other possible system with other friends is likely to loose em fans in the long run

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more criticism they get for this, the more chance we get to see them drop these stupid limitations. I understand them blocking crossplay to an extent (though, as a consumer, I'm not interested in their motivations as to why I should get fucked), but limiting cross-progression and holding accounts hostage is a really dumb way to impose your market leadership imho, especially in light of the major backlash they're getting for it. It's consumer and press pressure that brought Xbox to drop the Xbox One DRM, for EA to stop with the lootboxes, for Warner Bros. to change the terms on the charity item in Shadow Of War and so on. The more this problems gets mainstream interest, the more chance players get to end up winning.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony doesn't want to be looked as the bad guy when the new gen arrives and loose their spot at the sun, they need to fix this asap.
Right now Microsoft is doing everything right and preparing for the next gen, while Sony sill has no BC-feature, blocks crossplay
and will likely have the weaker platform.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Did all 3 dip in shares after E3? MS had very positive receptions all around, considered to be the "winner" by many.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
A Sony spokesperson was not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC, but issued a statement to the BBC explaining how it has 80 million monthly active users on its PlayStation Network and is always interested in hearing feedback from the gaming community.

Good grief :-D

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the pressure continues to mount. Open the floodgates, get all games cross platform.

Sony need to respond with action.

Edit: but yeah I don't think there's enough information to infer causality here.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If Sony doesn't want to be looked as the bad guy when the new gen arrives and loose their spot at the sun, they need to fix this asap.
Right now Microsoft is doing everything right and preparing for the next gen, while Sony sill has no BC-feature, blocks crossplay
and will likely have the weaker platform.
What if they intend to start next-gen with crossplay? I don't think not allowing crossplay for 2 more years will negatively impact them.

Locking accounts is the more egregious offense here. That should be addressed ASAP.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it's even close to enough to make them care.

They did release a (admittedly PR BS) statement to the BBC at least, which I didn't expect, so a chance if it keeps up. But it just further convinced me they aren't changing their stance.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony won't care, they're on top of the console chain and have no reason to change their policy.

It sucks for Fortnite PS4 players/owners who also want to play on Switch. I feel this wouldn't be the case if they weren't so far ahead in the console race.

It'll take something bigger for them to budge on their stance, not sure I can see it happening to be honest.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
2% is pretty big considering this is during E3 when I bet they expected a nice little stock price surge after showing their future lineup (which is admittedly pretty good).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more criticism they get for this, the more chance we get to see them drop these stupid limitations. I understand them blocking crossplay to an extent (though, as a consumer, I'm not interested in their motivations as to why I should get fucked), but limiting cross-progression and holding accounts hostage is a really dumb way to impose your market leadership imho, especially in light of the major backlash they're getting for it. It's consumer and press pressure that brought Xbox to drop the Xbox One DRM, for EA to stop with the lootboxes, for Warner Bros. to change the terms on the charity item in Shadow Of War and so on. The more this problems gets mainstream interest, the more chance players get to end up winning.

Agreed.

On a side note, I'm not sure if this drop can necessarily be attributed to any of this backlash. The Nikkei as a whole is down 1% and a range of Japanese tech companies are getting hit. Panasonic down 1.9%, Sharp down 2.4%, Hitachi down 2% etc.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...verage-closes-down-0-99-percent-idUSKBN1JA06E

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nah.
The Asia stock market is down because the US interest is higher and the continuing decline of exchange rate with the dollars.

The US Feds just announced that they will continue to increase rate as a higher pace than before, this spook the market.
And of course, combining with a potential trade war after G7 with China/JP, a lot of fear in the current Asia market.

So to see a 2% drop during the Feds announcement, it is normal for most Asian companies.

But saying that FN causing this mess while Sony business isn't just videogame and a weaker yen+higher interest+market fear...come on guys.
FN has that much power?

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Agree with all of this.

It benefits nobody other than them.

Oct 26, 2017
They're going to cave eventually, maybe not with this game, but it'll happen.

Then rather than being seen as catching up with a trend and discarding a shitty practice they'll be praised for being pro gamer.

Hops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the "backlash". Stocks are constantly going up and down, especially something as small as 2%. What a weird article.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
CNBC? lol Sony is absolutely screwed.

Not because of the 2% stock drop, but because their name is being dragged through the mud about this by the mainstream press at this point.

This is #DRM all over again. Anti-consumer up the wazoo.

Sony also turned the Switch version of Fortnite into an overnight phenomenon thanks to all the free press

backfire of the century

Last edited:

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They're going to cave eventually, maybe not with this game, but it'll happen.

Then rather than being seen as catching up with a trend and discarding a shitty practice they'll be praised for being pro gamer.
We've had this same lengthy discussion involving Minecraft and Rocket League. If Fortnite can't do it, nothing will.

They're saving crossplay as a bulletpoint for the PS5.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This has absolutely nothing to do with the "backlash". Stocks are constantly going up and down, especially something as small as 2%. What a weird article.

Yup.
Or this guy writing the article is really clueless, and didn't realize that 90%+ of Asia are down as well because of the US feds interest hike.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/for...rs-outraged-over-switch-cross-play-issue.html

Not entirely sure both (Shared Down X Fortnite Xplay Backslash) are direct cause and effect, but if it is, better be a wake up call for Sony to embrace the multi platform cross play. Sony likely keep it closed to keep the Peer Pressure Factor, but if future games were Log In to PS even ones blocks you out from any other possible system with other friends is likely to loose em fans in the long run

Dont see any correlation. Someone could make a article Saying Nintendo Shares slide 5 % after allow cross play. 2 % up and down happen 10's of times a year..

PS. As a PS4 owner I dont like that Sony blocks the crossplay, even if for me its not a problem. My friend list is all on PS4

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think shares news aren't a great idea for this forum, because shares fluctuate constantly and do not mean as much as make them out to mean in here. I would probably recommend toning down on these.

I don't think investors will react negatively to a policy that ultimately benefits Sony, until it is proven to actually reduce sales and drive away consumers. I'm not sure we are there yet, unfortunately, as I wish they would change their mind sooner rather than later for the benefit of all of us.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
This is something Epic should take care of their own users with, there is nothing keeping Epic from unlocking their own accounts for play on other systems, even if they have no ability to force playstation users to join other platforms, they do have the ability to unlock these accounts to be USED on other platforms. This is going to have big backlash on Sony, and Epic needs to get out of the way of this one before they start becoming a target as well.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they intend to start next-gen with crossplay? I don't think not allowing crossplay for 2 more years will negatively impact them.

Locking accounts is the more egregious offense here. That should be addressed ASAP.
People will remember this, especially with the biggest game on earth right now.
You don't want this negative stigma when trying to convince people at launch that your console is the place to got.
But yeah, they should fix this shit and don't held 3rd Party accounts hostage

Status
Not open for further replies.