• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Xbox I can still load up Shadowrun 2007, a game that:

1. Failed critically and commercially
2. Has probably 0 people playing at this moment
3. The developer that made it doesn't exist anymore

And still play it online with bots in case the one other person in the world playing wants to play a game.

There is no reason this should still be happening, regardless of what the player population is, because now the opportunity to even go back and try to play a match is gone. I'm still salty about about GR2 tbh.
You see things like this piss me off. Just why the hell is Sony like this?

I could maybe understand GR2 shutting down after a decade. But a couple of years??? Shame on them.
Damn, thank you! Will edit my post!
No worries. A lot of people don't know about it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Does it really cost that much to maintain servers? Not a good look for Sony
Not much.
And they may be leaps and bounds worse than Microsoft in this regard which also isn't really defendable other than the fact that they are much smaller. But support for things in industries dries up all the time as they age. Video games aren't really special in this regard.
I think your HBO example isn't a particular good one, because these streaming services pay a big fee to license the content or have to create them new. Your example is more equivalent to PS Now or Gamepass losing games or games getting delisted from the various online stores imo.

Putting up servers obviously cost money, but Sony earns a ton of money and other companies without PS+ money can keep servers alive. Blizzard for instance.

Then there is Microsoft, which has build a much better online service in Xbox Live, because their matchmaking servers take care of all the games and the backend uses VM. That's typical today and the scalability is awesome.

For example if someone doesn't play Shadowrun then it simply doesn't take up any resources on Azure. When people want to play a game, the services automatically scales up.

That's the reason they don't need to shut down servers and in 99% of the time they don't. I am not really frustrated by Killzone, but I think there are two valid demands as a consumer.

1. Announce the server shutdown or downtimes when they happen or beforehand.
2. For the love of gaming get PSN with the billions of PS+ money up to modern standards you see in different industries and then Sony wouldn't need to shut down servers.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Things would be better if they would give a notice for the closing ahead of time.

I said its anti-consumer in the fact they just shut it. No warning, no heads up. We don't have a say in it yet we are paying members of their online service. You will agree that at least grants us the ability to voice our concerns and disagreements on how they handle the games online servers? Specially when it comes to server closings.

So yea Sony can be great but they still have shitty practices specially when there is still active competition in the marketplace and they are not doing this which makes them look worse in this case.

I've been with Sony since ps1 but people here have to drop being on their side when it comes to sever closing. The least they could give us is a heads up ffs. I'm hoping the servers will come back. Nothing is 100% right now but I also doubt the server "crash" and its a matter of one of their dudes just flipping a switch back up next week.

Yeah, I think this is what makes the issue so grating. No previous warning. Servers for older games are closed every day. Nobody is saying that Sony needs to keep games running forever, even if other companies do keep servers up for games that probably literally nobody is playing. But, really, who benefits from closing the servers for this game without giving any warning? It just erodes goodwill and sets bad precedents.

Also, please: stop trying to push the narrative that this is good for us players. That Sony is saving big bucks by closing Killzone's servers and that they will reinvest them into something bigger and better.

Not much.
I think your HBO example isn't a particular good one, because these streaming services pay a big fee to license the content or have to create them new.

Putting up servers obviously cost money, but Sony earns a ton of money and other companies without PS+ money can keep servers alive. Blizzard for instance.

Then there is Microsoft, which has build a much better online service in Xbox Live, because their matchmaking servers take care of all the games and the backend uses VM. That's typical today and the scalability is awesome.

For example if someone doesn't play Shadowrun then it simply doesn't take up any resources on Azure. When people want to play a game, the services automatically scales up.

That's the reason they don't need to shut down servers and in 99% of the time they don't. I am not really frustrated by Killzone, but I think there are two valid demands as a consumer.

1. Announce the server shutdown or downtimes when they happen
2. For the love of gaming get PSN with the billions of PS+ money up to modern standards you see in different industries and then Sony wouldn't need to shut down servers.

Great, great post đź‘Ť

Still not up if anyone's wondering. If it does come back I might even be able to find a match lol

I just want to get those two MP Trophies, honestly. I think I'll start going for those whenever I get a game, especially if it's old, before doing anything that can be done alone and offline.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, It's Nintendo to blame for putting themselves at the mercy of a third party who could pull the plug on them instead of recruiting engineers and putting resources into making their own online service way back then. It also doesn't explain the Wii Shop Channel getting the axe.

Having first party games go offline is disappointing but it's not on the same level as actual consoles becoming offline only and all your digital purchases becoming inaccessible.
All digital Wii Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSiWare purchases are still accessible. The Wii Shop and DSi Shop channels are still there and functional, you can redownload but not purchase. Nintendo's cautioned they won't maintain functionality indefinitely but also confirmed they'll give forewarning before taking the shops offline. For reference they gave 1 year (DSi) and 1.5 years (Wii) warning before ending purchases.

Online gaming service for DS and Wii ending is unfortunate but we're also talking about a partnership inked in the early 2000s (originally for Gamecube actually although Nintendo decided against it and to start fresh on DS instead). You're right that consumers could/should blame Nintendo for that but at least they (1) gave a reasonable rationale (aka: Gamespy closing) and (2) gave some warning ahead of time (4 months). And online services not reliant on Gamespy were maintained past that point (shops, browsers, some 3p games like DQX or Goldeneye, streaming apps like Youtube or Netflix, etc). Again, there's a world of difference here in how Nintendo and Sony are handling customer service.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
That's... weird? I thought there was a small community that still played it? Kind of an arrogant move to close without warning.
According to the leaderboard on the website, 6 people played the game online during the last 7 days. I'm not quite sure how its being measured though. I mean, if you look at the leaderboard for the individual maps and modes, theres only two entries (two maps has 1 entry each), while the "overall" tab has 6 entries. And on one of the maps where theres just one guy registerd, it says that he got 6 kills. Unless the game has bots online, he/she must have played with someone else. Its safe to say that the game is pretty much dead online however, even if the servers were still online (and just to point out, i agree that Sony should have given a notice anyway, even just for the sake of it being more of a formality). Thats for the public matches at least. I have no idea if anyone still play this on private matches.

Last edited:

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
These are pretty early shutdowns. Driveclub and now Killzone Mercenary. I guess they simply can't afford to leave them running.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
First party games shouldn't have shut downs, the shutdowns like Gravity Rush 2 are part of the reason I moved away from Sony.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Things would be better if they would give a notice for the closing ahead of time.

I said its anti-consumer in the fact they just shut it. No warning, no heads up. We don't have a say in it yet we are paying members of their online service. You will agree that at least grants us the ability to voice our concerns and disagreements on how they handle the games online servers? Specially when it comes to server closings.

So yea Sony can be great but they still have shitty practices specially when there is still active competition in the marketplace and they are not doing this which makes them look worse in this case.

I've been with Sony since ps1 but people here have to drop being on their side when it comes to sever closing. The least they could give us is a heads up ffs. I'm hoping the servers will come back. Nothing is 100% right now but I also doubt the server "crash" and its a matter of one of their dudes just flipping a switch back up next week.

I completely agree with it being bullshit as I stated that they didn't even mention it. Hell I'm not on their side about closing anything either. More looking at the fact that keeping servers open for eternity isn't an expectation we should have as gamers.

I believe I also acknowledged that it's not a good look if they are shittier than the completion in this regard. But we can't look at something that costs a company money and not expect them to weigh if the benefits outweigh the costs. It should absolutely be 100% standard practice for everyone to say when something is shutting down. But third parties shut down their support on things a lot.

when is the proper time to shutdown a server if it seems like few to no people are playing? 10 years? 50 years? It's never ok? Don't get me wrong despite me not having a vita or even ps plus at the moment I'm not happy to see any games servers ever shut down. It just seems like an unrealistic expectation for companies to continuously provide options for games that are very old.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Don't get me wrong I don't like Sony shutting down servers without some way to continue playing multiplayer, like a P2P system, but whenever a game gets so barren that it's impossible to find a full match or very rarely, I think the consternation from some comes across as very hollow.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Not much.
I think your HBO example isn't a particular good one, because these streaming services pay a big fee to license the content or have to create them new. Your example is more equivalent to PS Now or Gamepass losing games or games getting delisted from the various online stores imo.

That's the reason they don't need to shut down servers and in 99% of the time they don't. I am not really frustrated by Killzone, but I think there are two valid demand
1. Announce the server shutdown or downtimes when they happen or beforehand.

It may have been a crappy comparison, but my point was that eventually experiences you have on old technology goes away. Your 7 years old iPhone eventually stops getting updates. It's a cost-benefit analysis. I think it would be good if the iPhone 4 was still getting updates for the latest iOS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Apple certainly has the money.

I 100% feel the same way as you do about your demands. I think it's inexcusable to not announce a server shutdown even if they haven't seen a single person log on in three years. And clearly Sony is behind their competition on a lot of this and needs to do much better. But I still find it unreasonable to expect that every game that has a server should be maintained for eternity.

I'm really not trying to come off as defending giant corporations as much as saying the practice is pretty common across industries. I can't buy the latest Green Day album on my cassette player.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
It may have been a crappy comparison, but my point was that eventually experiences you have on old technology goes away. Your 7 years old iPhone eventually stops getting updates. It's a cost-benefit analysis. I think it would be good if the iPhone 4 was still getting updates for the latest iOS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Apple certainly has the money.

I 100% feel the same way as you do about your demands. I think it's inexcusable to not announce a server shutdown even if they haven't seen a single person log on in three years. And clearly Sony is behind their competition on a lot of this and needs to do much better. But I still find it unreasonable to expect that every game that has a server should be maintained for eternity.
Neither the Vita or the game is receiving updates so breaking compatibility or upkeep on that end isn't even in the conversation. It's a clear trend on how Sony handles their products. When your direct competition is keeping their own services up for over a decade (and for the foreseeable future), I don't know why expecting the same from a different company is so bad.

Oct 31, 2017
Only if you've kept those licenses on the Wii. If you've moved them to the Wii portion of a Wii U you can no longer download them to your Wii.

Which is my case, and isn't consumer friendly at all.

Pretty sure Nintendo is clear on what's happening when you do that Wii-Wii U transfer. And you can still redownload your Wii games on Wii U via the Wii portion.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Neither the Vita or the game is receiving updates so breaking compatibility or upkeep on that end isn't even in the conversation. It's a clear trend on how Sony handles their products. When your direct competition is keeping their own services up for over a decade (and for the foreseeable future), I don't know why expecting the same from a different company is so bad.

Oh I'm certainly not saying they shouldn't be better or more like their competition. I also don't know the cost of maintaining something like this. But lots of third party companies shut down servers. Again I think it becomes a cost benefit analysis. I'm not sure this would even qualify as much news if they said 6 months ago "we will be closing killzone mercenaries down in June."

Expecting Sony to be better and closer to Microsoft is reasonable to me. Expecting companies to keep servers open forever if the player base is next to zero doesn't seem to be. The only scenario that should be expected in is a scenario where maintaining the server is free.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Next time a PlayStation game becomes unplayable online and Sony hasn't made an announcement it would be better to wait until we have more information. Keep applying pressure to Sony for the way in which they shut down game servers, but there's no point in adding misinformation to the discussion.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, surely some blame can be placed on Sony for being a bit notorious with the server shutdowns and not clarifying this sooner.

Don't they usually announce it though? They've even delayed shutting down servers for games after people made a stink. I'm sure I'm missing some more negative and sudden examples but I didn't realize they had a reputation for just shutting them off overnight with no warning.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Don't they usually announce it though? They've even delayed shutting down servers for games after people made a stink. I'm sure I'm missing some more negative and sudden examples but I didn't realize they had a reputation for just shutting them off overnight with no warning.

They usually do, yes. I believe it's required by law in the EU to give warning when closing/shutting down something as well.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth the 20 euro it costs on the PS Store? Would be nice to download it onto my Vita.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
7 pages of absolute OUTRAGE for a server maintenance on a Vita game.

"Jumping into conclusions" is starting to fall short for gaming side these days.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
so era wrote 7 pages about nothing

should have wrote 7 pages about playing Killzone Mercenary instead.

Priorities.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
How many have they shut down without notice? Plus it was the weekend.
The shortest time I've found on Google is one day, for Starhawk. But that's a weird case, because all the rest of games have at least a couple of months of warning.

should have wrote 7 page about playing Killzone Mercenary instead.

Priorities.
This thread wouldn't have reached 7 pages if it was only about Killzone Mercenary, sadly. And I think the game is great.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it jumping to conclusions when the OP states that a rep said the servers were being shut down? The conclusion had been presented when people entered the thread. Feels strangely petty to be finger wagging over manufactured drama when there's a much more straightforward response of expressing happiness over a better outcome.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, surely some blame can be placed on Sony for being a bit notorious with the server shutdowns and not clarifying this sooner.
I don't think that's fair. They have always informed people of these things in advance and set a precedent for what to expect. They are to blame as much as they were to blame for the way people reacted to thinking just 100 PS4 games would be playable on PS5 at the launch when that is not what was said. People are just very eager to react to things without clarification.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

should have wrote 7 pages about playing Killzone Mercenary instead.

Priorities.

Just like how people complain about the Vita dying early but barely anyone supporting it seriously.

Vocal minority can only mean so much in a vacuum. This game will maybe finally have some people playing it for a few days before it back to being dead for months again like usual.

Jan 3, 2019
Why is it jumping to conclusions when the OP states that a rep said the servers were being shut down? The conclusion had been presented when people entered the thread. Feels strangely petty to be finger wagging over manufactured drama when there's a much more straightforward response of expressing happiness over a better outcome.
But if I did that I wouldn't get to be smug on the internet by dunking on these fools who care about a thing I don't care about.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well, there's multiple issues here:

1) Tier 1 CS reps rarely have all the info and straight up may have been wrong.
2) It being the weekend, the CS rep may not have had access to all the info.
3) Reddit is hardly a bastion of truth and accuracy.