• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
Yesssssssss finally. Havent watched the video yet but i hope its implemented well. Heck after this wait it better be lol

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe now that sony has devices that support it they will finally add VRR to the ps5. Next we need a 1440p sony monitor and w3e'll get 1440p!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The initial reports at avsforum says VRR disables local dimming, Also 4k120 blur still not fixed.

Pretty big compromise.

Edit: there are apparently other TVs with the same SoC like 2021 Hisense models that also disable local dimming with VRR, so it seems like a hardware limitation.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'm really glad this is finally coming out for people with the X900H. I was very close to getting one but went with the CX instead. It's got a great picture at a great price though and this makes things much better.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Great!

Will update when other people do first lol

Does the ps5 support vrr?
Or does this only benefit xbox consoles?

Nothing for PS5 yet. I'd imagine there will be a firmware update for PS5 later this year that should add VRR support now that Sony's TVs are getting the feature.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY

Honestly kind of gave up hope a while ago for VRR on the X900H, but really glad Sony came through

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
The initial reports at avsforum says VRR disables local dimming, Also 4k120 blur still not fixed.

Pretty big compromise.

Edit: there are apparently other TVs with the same SoC like 2021 Hisense models that also disable local dimming with VRR, so it seems like a hardware limitation.
That really sucks... Sony should have included that in their documentation because that's a big caveat for a FALD TV. Basically just makes it a bog standard LCD TV with VRR.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]

Pretty big compromise.

Hope that isn't true...

barf-sick.gif

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it'll be better on the J series. Though, at this point, I might as well wait for next year's line up.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

Pretty big compromise.

I may just replace this thing. Or wait a year or two till things things get sorted out in the AV-world too, so I can buy a set of things I know are going to work right.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was watching a review from Rtings a day or two ago, and the person reviewing one of their newer TVs had mentioned that VRR hadn't yet been rolled out to these TVs yet and to "not hold your breath" for it. The timing is funny in that respect. What concerns me is that the TV they were reviewing is apparently one of the best for local dimming. While I find local dimming pretty distracting (since it's often not handled well on most TVs that would benefit from it), it'll be a shame if their new TVs can't even manage VRR with local dimming enabled.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Ridiculous that VRR disables local dimming. TV looks terrible with local dimming and the great black levels for an LED were a main draw of the TV.

Hopefully this update at least fixes the local dimming bug the last update had introduced. That's been a hassle for me with it randomly coming back after reboots and having to reboot several times to get it to go away again.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Disabling local dimming makes this shit largely pointless. Aside from the fact that shit is just going to look worse, you also basically can't use HDR without LD.

I'm glad I made my peace with my 900H a long time ago but this is still wack.

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
I thought local dimming gets automatically disabled in game mode anyway to significantly reduce input lag? To those complaining about VRR disabling it, I'm assuming ya'll don't care much about input lag?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, I honestly thought I'd never see the day. The 4K, 120 Hz mode will probably never be fixed though.

Edit - Wait, this disables local dimming? Never mind then. Fuck that.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Lmfao

Never, ever trust a TV manufacturer to add features in future updates. There might be compromises or they just won't end up doing anything

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Local dimming already takes a huge hit when running at 4K120Hz, so it's not surprising it's completely disabled when using VRR.

A friend of mine offered to buy my X900H for $800 and I've been mulling it over.

Hopefully I can find a good deal for a C1 in November.

The X950H doesn't have a 2.1 port right? That's the TV I got :(

Unfortunately, no.

I thought local dimming gets automatically disabled in game mode anyway to significantly reduce input lag? To those complaining about VRR disabling it, I'm assuming ya'll don't care much about input lag?

Local DImming absolutely works in game mode and it doesn't introduce any input lag.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As long as the PS5 gets an update soon this is perfect for that native 4k death stranding mode. Should smooth it out nicely.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Finally. Glad that is finally coming for owners of that set. Let's hope when people get their hands on the update that it is not f'd up in some manner. Hope it is VRR with a good range at both 60 and 120fps and full 4k...not this half resolution bullshit that some sets had issues when trying to do 4k/120.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Pretty big compromise.

yep sounds like its the mediatek chips i guess. Def why I usually wait on these HDMI changes, I was around when they first went to 4k and it was a shit show then. Sucks to see people have these compromises yet again.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

Pretty big compromise.

No big deal. It's a broken feature anyway🤷‍♂️

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Let this be a lesson to never buy based on the promise of a future update. You never know if you're going to actually get it and if you do, how well the implementation is.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I may just replace this thing. Or wait a year or two till things things get sorted out in the AV-world too, so I can buy a set of things I know are going to work right.
Yeah im waiting until 2023 to upgrade, im sure the chip shortages will also have an impact. 2.1 has been so slow to have stuff for it, even hard to come by a 2.1 switch.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Let this be a lesson to never buy based on the promise of a future update. You never know if you're going to actually get it and if you do, how well the implementation is.

Guilty as charged. I just wanted something to take full advantage of the PS5 at launch.
Thankfully, between selling my 900E and picking up the X900H at a launch discount. I'm only out $250.

I'm definitely on the market for a 2022/23 upgrade.