• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Thanks to u/YouRedditHereFirst on r/PS4:

I just took a survey for Sony regarding their Remote Play and there were some interesting questions that possibly hint at upcoming features.
  1. Using Remote Play with a PS4 not connected to the Internet.
  2. Playing Remote Play on a Switch, AppleTV, AndroidTV
  3. Hiding unused controls for the game to allow for more screen real estate
  4. A slim/portable DualShock controller for portable gaming
  5. Exclusive maps/accessories for Remote Play
  6. Customizable button layout
  7. Connecting other controllers (Xbox) and mouse/keyboard
  8. Offline Remote Play
  9. PS1 and PS2 games
  10. Parental controls to allow for multiple users to use Remote Play at the same time.

I took some screenshots of one section of the rather lengthy survey. There were several questions about PS1 and PS2 games, as well as being able to adjust video and sound quality to help with any lag.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, but even a downgrade to 540p and outputting on switch would be insanely awesome. A lot of those do seem like great ideas though and hopefully this is improved on ps5

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use Remote Play with my Vita, but I would definitely play it on Switch if possible.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
My dream is that I take my Switch with me while traveling and can use Xcloud and PS Remote Play from the Switch. Please let it happen.

EDIT: I'm still salty that only the Gamecube had analog triggers Nintendo you had it whyyyyyy

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
"Playing Remote Play on a Switch, AppleTV, AndroidTV"

Just like that a thousand clickbait blog entries and youtube videos were created, "PS5 games on your Switch confirmed!"

Oct 27, 2017
Plz do all this. I'd buy a $100 DualShock that had a small screen in it, an ARM chip that plays PS1 games, and does remote play.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Please for the love of god bring back PS1 games....I bought so damn many of them and they are stuck on my PS3/Vita

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Have any of these surveys resulted in future features?
Yes.

Name change , wishlist and other stuff
2955787-8284038279-14458.jpg

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Remote play on switch and mention of ps1/ps2 games is, interesting to say the least
They had a similar survey for PS4, basically "Hey which of these features would you like the most?" Thay've at most done half of them, and done some of them pretty late
edit: Actually it seems like they did more than I remembered, even though those were done not how one would like (ie what's the point of a wish list if you don't get notified?) or some of them should have been there day 1 (like notifications when friends go online)

sony-ps4-survey.png

Sadly the ones that I'd like the most weren't done or they were half-assed (PS1 and PS2 respectively)

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Being able to Remote Play onto my Switch would be one of the greatest things ever. Remote Play on Vita is already nice, but the Switch would be above and beyond. Already use my phone for portable wi-fi when I'm out with my Switch, but being able to access not just all my Switch games, but my Playstation games too would be fantastic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would love Remote Play on Switch, was planning to get a Vita pretty much just for that, but never did. I doubt it'd ever happen though.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love remote play on the switch but first what would sony's Motivation even be to do that and would NIntendo allow it?
If you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock streaming access and still have to buy the games, it sounds like a winner to me. The last bit is my biggest question - obviously Nintendo doesn't have a Hulu competitor so having a non-Nintendo subscription isn't a conflict of interest, but games are a completely different story.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'd love remote play on the switch but first what would sony's Motivation even be to do that and would NIntendo allow it?

Well, you still have to own a PlayStation console to use Remote Play. I don't think they'll change that in the future.

Maybe people mistake Remote Play with PS Now.
Remote Play: An app that "turns" the PS4 into a server to stream your games to another device (Android, iOS and PC for now)
PS Now: A service that uses Amazon/Azure servers to stream any game on the service to a device (PS4 and PC for now)

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder if Sony is pondering the idea of offering the PS1 and PS2 catalogs natively on Switch. Imagine that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock streaming access and still have to buy the games, it sounds like a winner to me. The last bit is my biggest question - obviously Nintendo doesn't have a Hulu competitor so having a non-Nintendo subscription isn't a conflict of interest, but games are a completely different story.
Remote Play isn't behind a subscription. It makes complete sense for Sony though you are still technically just playing your PlayStation. I'd imagine Nintendo would say no, as there's really no benefit in it for them outside of having a selling point they'd never use (play your PlayStation games on the Switch) and one that didn't really help the Vita overall.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well an app has to go on the eshop right?
Yeah but that app would be free and unmonetizable'

Maybe Sony would be interested in Remote Play on Switch but Nintendo isn't, they don't want you to stream Doom from your PS4 to Switch, they want you to buy it on the eShop

xCloud on the other hand is probably more enticing to Nintendo if they can negotiate for a satisfactory piece of the pie