• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I even changed accounts before leaving behind all my digital goods, simply because my name had fallen out of favor with me. I'd very welcome this.

Jan 11, 2018
I wasn't able to get the user name I wanted. Someone else had already taken it, played two games and obtained 2-3 trophies - and was only active for like a month tops back in 2009. If Sony makes it an option to change our user names, I also hope they do a purge of really old, inactive accounts (with a fair warning in advance).

Luckily, my second choice was available. But I'd rather switch to the other name if possible.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this comment from the Sony shutting down the Counterspy servers thread is something to do with it.

x286iq.png

I've mentioned this before but here is my theory
I dont think we will be able to change names till have they turn off the ps3s multiplayer. Reason being is even if they were to add a new name field (one that can be changed) and point to that instead of where it was(they had to do this at the launch of the ps4), any online game on the ps3 would still point to the old name field. Every online game would need to be updated to the new name field and that's not going to happen So in essence you would have your old name on the ps3 and your new name on the ps4. I'm guessing they are trying to avoid this. Also Layden did not say changing names would come this year. He said a change could happen that would allow them to do it. I think that change is shutting down ps3s online.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
I think for some people they chose a name of something they were into all those years ago. Or maybe a nickname an ex might have picked. And as they've got older they're sick of looking at it or aren't fans of what they had now.

Then there's all those people that had Xx xX in their names when they played a lot of CoD and it might remind them how stupid they were!

Bottom line is that all of the console manufacturers see their users as lifetime relationships. Typically, people get their first PS console or Xbox when they're kids, but if they stay in their respective ecosystems, they want the system to reflect their own changes in life. The username you pick as a 13 y/o that has "booger" or "spongebob" in it may not be the name you want to use when you're 25 or 35 or 50. So, the flexibility to change one's name is reflective of the ability to stay loyal and remain a part of an evolving community that you joined decades earlier.

OP
OP
Magoo

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Bottom line is that all of the console manufacturers see their users as lifetime relationships. Typically, people get their first PS console or Xbox when they're kids, but if they stay in their respective ecosystems, they want the system to reflect their own changes in life. The username you pick as a 13 y/o that has "booger" or "spongebob" in it may not be the name you want to use when you're 25 or 35 or 50. So, the flexibility to change one's name is reflective of the ability to stay loyal and remain a part of an evolving community that you joined decades earlier.

True. It's definitely a feature that doesn't have any drawbacks.

On my PS4 now I just use the real name setting.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sacrifice PS3 multiplayer for name changes, but I would love to not have to say "it's a yinyang, not a 69" anymore

Though it might not be that bad of a trade since PS3 online is a ghost town and most of the online games themselves are a goddamn shitshow nowadays, full of glitches, lag, and exploits

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I don't want to sacrifice PS3 multiplayer for name changes, but I would love to not have to say "it's a yinyang, not a 69" anymore

Though it might not be that bad of a trade since PS3 online is a ghost town and most of the online games themselves are a goddamn shitshow nowadays, full of glitches, lag, and exploits

I just hope they don't shut down PS3 PSN Store etc.. I use mine almost every day.
But I can sacrifice online gaming which I don't do anyway on the PS3 for the ability of others to change their nick. I'm glad I was an adult when I made mine :)

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking nickname change, that shit should have been a billion years ago.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't shut down PS3 PSN Store etc.. I use mine almost every day.
But I can sacrifice online gaming which I don't do anyway on the PS3 for the ability of others to change their nick. I'm glad I was an adult when I made mine :)

Yeah I think based on the scuttlebutt it would be just the way the PS3 game itself displays your name that is the issue, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to change it on a system wide level via firmware update but the way individual games handle it is probably where the problems arise. So things like PSN store, syncing trophies, etc shouldn't be too troublesome, but playing Battlefield 3 or Black Ops or something online and the game looking for your PSN ID might be tricky.

Yeah unfortunately I got a PSP back when it was the thing to get and being a very early 20s guy meant hurr durr 69 lolz. I'm 32 now and yeah love ya Sony but please it's time.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
the wording in the pic makes me believe it's fake.

Why is it written in third person? Is Sony/Playstation not conducting the survey themselves?

Playstation voice is a legitimate site comissioned by sony interactive entertainment. Its a closed community full of polls and surveys for unreleased material to give constructive feedback back to sony ill give you their about us as to what they are.

Welcome to the PlayStation Voice community!

Commissioned by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) and run by Join the Dots (a Market Research company), we have invited players across the UK to come together and help PlayStation develop the best possible products and services they can.

It's incredibly important to PlayStation to listen and act on what their players tell them and by joining this community you'll be able to help shape the way they do things – what they create and how they tell players about them.

And as our way of saying thanks, you'll get an early look at what's happening at PlayStation HQ and be in with a chance of winning a bunch of exclusive loot and vouchers every month.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I didn't pick my nickname, a friend did it for and it's very bad (short story I was away overseas, he was staying home. can I register you for PSN? I need to update some games, yeah sure). When I came back I told him you know it's impossible to change nicknames on this. So here I am.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Layden made it super clear at the last PSX, that name changing is a big goal for 2018, at least to the point people will stop asking. Surprised they are wasting their time with a survey, my insanely cynical guess is they are just seeing how badly people want it, to see how much they charge.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They surveyed people about PS NOW in the last firmware beta and some presumed this would mean something in the future updates like Tidux who claimed Sony would offer 2 PS NOW games of choice and 2 movies of choice per month but this never happened.

Last edited:

Yukiido

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I regretted the name I made on the PS3 back in 2007, so I created a new account so I could have a different name when I got a PS4. I hope Sony implement this as it's long overdue - and that they don't charge us to change.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no need for name changes anyway. Instead what they should be doing is applying a system similar to Steam where your login name and profile name can be separated. That way people can change username freely and there can be more than one instance of the same name and people won't have to fight for usernames anymore.

It's such an easier solution I've no idea why they haven't already implemented it. We already have the real name option after all.