• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I don't want to spoil the show for you guys, but...

Killzone 2
60fps
PSVR

I would love this game at 60fps (my fav ps3 shooter), but if is PSVR only, I would be really pissed off.

I hope they reveal release dates for Jak 2,3 and X ps4 versions. Only the first game is out for Ps4 currently.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Got to disagree. Sony has content for US, Asia, and Europe with some overlap thrown in there. It makes sense to focus in on specific areas depending on the particular game. It also gives developers more time to prepare their game for a showing. If a dev isn't quite ready once E3 rolls around, they can push it to PSX, for example.

The reveal trailer for TLoU II has ~13M views between the PS channel and the MathChief guy who got the vid up early. How much more "impact" are you saying it would have had?
Except we know that Sony held back game announcements on purpose, not because they weren't ready, just because they wanted to announce them in another conference.

I really don't see how you can argue that TLOU II wouldn't have been more impactful at E3. It should be pretty simple, more people watching E3 vs PSX = more views.

Oct 25, 2017
Except we know that Sony held back game announcements on purpose, not because they weren't ready, just because they wanted to announce them in another conference.

I really don't see how you can argue that TLOU II wouldn't have been more impactful at E3. It should be pretty simple, more people watching E3 vs PSX = more views.
I never claimed they weren't ready. I said it gives them another option if they aren't.

I never said it wouldn't have more impact. I was asking you to speak on how much of a difference it would have made. ~13M is huge no matter how you slice it.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's hard to predict what's gonna be in this when PSX is so close.

It's only a month away guys.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I never claimed they weren't ready. I said it gives them another option if they aren't.

I never said it wouldn't have more impact. I was asking you to speak on how much of a difference it would have made. ~13M is huge no matter how you slice it.
"It also gives developers more time to prepare their game for a showing. If a dev isn't quite ready once E3 rolls around, they can push it to PSX, for example."
"How much more "impact" are you saying it would have had?"

I'm very confused on what you're going on about, you keep saying "I never said", yet you clearly do say those things.
You're clearly implying that it wouldn't have been different in views if the game was announced at E3 instead. Yes, it obviously would have, it should be common sense, more people watch E3, ie more views.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It is time.

ZUNYYIx.png

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
"It also gives developers more time to prepare their game for a showing. If a dev isn't quite ready once E3 rolls around, they can push it to PSX, for example."

I'm very confused on what you're going on about, you keep saying "I never said", yet you clearly do say those things.
You're clearly implying that it wouldn't have been different in views if the game was announced at E3 instead. Yes, it obviously would have, it should be common sense, more people watch E3, ie more views.

And yet, they still put lots of reveals at PSX and other places. It's a good thing, because you're overestimating the importance of E3. It's huge, but the hardcore gaming crowd is larger than ever. There's a reason why they stream Gamescom, PGW, PSX, and have English translators for TGS. They think that's worth the effort. Because people are watching in droves.

And the reality is, they reveal games at one conference and then it pops up several times later. I watched Sony's last PGW and their last PSX to get an idea of the kind of stuff that was at those conferences. Gravity Rush 2 was at both. GT Sport was at both. Horizon was at both. Sony will introduce something at one conference and hype it until it comes out to make sure tons of people know about it. That's the point of it all.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, they still put lots of reveals at PSX and other places. It's a good thing, because you're overestimating the importance of E3. It's huge, but the hardcore gaming crowd is larger than ever. There's a reason why they stream Gamescom, PGW, PSX, and have English translators for TGS. They think that's worth the effort. Because people are watching in droves.

And the reality is, they reveal games at one conference and then it pops up several times later. I watched Sony's last PGW and their last PSX to get an idea of the kind of stuff that was at those conferences. Gravity Rush 2 was at both. GT Sport was at both. Horizon was at both. Sony will introduce something at one conference and hype it until it comes out to make sure tons of people know about it. That's the point of it all.

Last year, sony skipped both gamescom and paris games week. and their psx show was better for it in my opinion.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017

What? That makes no sense, hardcore gamers would watch all their conferences so that wouldn't make a difference. E3 on the other hand, you have the general public, and YouTubers talking about E3, while you don't for the other press conferences. So no, I'm not "overestimating the importance of E3", it's very obvious you're underestimating it. I've seen casual friends of video games talk about E3 yet none know of the other conferences.

They stream Games/PGW, PSX, and TGS, because they're press conferences, so obviously they would stream them.

And as HellofaMouse said, PSX was amazing because they had one less conference, and more announcements for PSX, which made it better.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling most of them are VR games and no major titles. Otherwise PSX will have no value at this point

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

What? That makes no sense, hardcore gamers would watch all their conferences so that wouldn't make a difference. E3 on the other hand, you have the general public, and YouTubers talking about E3, while you don't for the other press conferences. So no, I'm not "overestimating the importance of E3", it's very obvious you're underestimating it. I've seen casual friends of video games talk about E3 yet none know of the other conferences.

They stream Games/PGW, PSX, and TGS, because they're press conferences, so obviously they would stream them.

And as HellofaMouse said, PSX was amazing because they had one less conference, and more announcements for PSX, which made it better.

Dude you are totally overestimating the importance, or revelance of E3. Sony could drop a new Spider-Man trailer right now at 3 in the morning and next week it'll have 20 million views.

Nintendo does their own thing with "Nintendo Direct", which is feeding the public directly, and still attain millions upon millions of views without a press conference. And they are killing the game right now. Holding back announcements to feed their fan base "directly" is the goal.

No matter what event tlou2 shows up at, it's still gonna be all eyes on them, and everyone is invited. It does not need to be at e3 to get noticed and I'm sure your friends will catch it on YouTube.

One thing about E3 is some good stuff can get lost in all the chaos, which is one reason Nintendo decided to stop having pressers. More people watch E3 cause of the amount stuff released at one time... doesn't necessarily mean that everything gets it's fair share in the light.
Spider-Man, GOW, Mario etc., gets millions of views, while the other thousand indie games barley scratching at 100 views..

Then people wonder why indies on Switch are selling so well.. lol. It's cause they show all games on an even slate in a direct, one second you're looking at rocket league, the next Mario Odyssey.

PSX is like a direct but on a bigger scale and if they want it to be taken seriously, then they have to drop some bombs there. So it only makes sense if they break from the norm to put more effort into it.

How could that not make sense?

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont have high hopes for this one. Not because Sony will not have the output (It has all the 3Ps behind it after all), but because it is so close to PSX.

PSX is where they want to drop all the major bombs. For this one, I expect a major title or two, whose launch date is between February to April next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Was it confirmed these 7 announcements were all going to be pre-conference announcements? If true, that kinda kills the hype for me heh.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Keeping my hype in check as always. In fact I would be happy enough with a release date for Detroit and the re-appearance of Wild. In terms of these new game announcements, I have no expectations either way.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean that there won't be announcements in the main show.

True, but I find it weird that they would go all out to make us aware of the 7 announcements with stuff like, "E3 was only half the story...", and then get up there and give us the next 7 games in the PlayLink line. There's no baseline and that is what makes me worried this is going to be underwhelming.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Based on history I can't see any major announcements coming out of PGW. It's been years since any big game was announced in Europe (if ever). Having said that, I am one of those guys that enjoyed this years' E3 because I appreciate seeing some gameplay of already announced titles.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
True, but I find it weird that they would go all out to make us aware of the 7 announcements with stuff like, "E3 was only half the story...", and then get up there and give us the next 7 games in the PlayLink line. There's no baseline and that is what makes me worried this is going to be underwhelming.

They probably specified the number of games because they want people to watch the pre-show. If they put all those updates and game announcements in the conference, it would be too long.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Dude you are totally overestimating the importance, or revelance of E3. Sony could drop a new Spider-Man trailer right now at 3 in the morning and next week it'll have 20 million views.

Nintendo does their own thing with "Nintendo Direct", which is feeding the public directly, and still attain millions upon millions of views without a press conference. And they are killing the game right now. Holding back announcements to feed their fan base "directly" is the goal.

No matter what event tlou2 shows up at, it's still gonna be all eyes on them, and everyone is invited. It does not need to be at e3 to get noticed and I'm sure your friends will catch it on YouTube.

One thing about E3 is some good stuff can get lost in all the chaos, which is one reason Nintendo decided to stop having pressers. More people watch E3 cause of the amount stuff released at one time... doesn't necessarily mean that everything gets it's fair share in the light.
Spider-Man, GOW, Mario etc., gets millions of views, while the other thousand indie games barley scratching at 100 views..

Then people wonder why indies on Switch are selling so well.. lol. It's cause they show all games on an even slate in a direct, one second you're looking at rocket league, the next Mario Odyssey.

PSX is like a direct but on a bigger scale and if they want it to be taken seriously, then they have to drop some bombs there. So it only makes sense if they break from the norm to put more effort into it.

How could that not make sense?
Man this is getting real tiring, repeating the same thing over and over.
Common sense, what I've been saying should be common sense. No, if Sony released a new Spider-Man trailer right now at 3, it wouldn't have 20 million views. The only people that would watch that trailer would be hardcore gamers. Now, if it was released on E3, it'd be hardcore gamers, plus casual gamers, plus viewers from YouTubers that talk/advertise the game.

I want you and everyone else, to prove to me, that something that should be common sense, which is if more people know about a video, vs less people, that obviously that the more people knowing, means more views. I want an argument against on how what I'm pretty much saying that if 1000 people knew about a trailer, vs 100, obviously 1000 people know about it would mean more views.

What you're basically also arguing against is also advertisement. Are you going to tell me that if a game has $10 million budget for advertisement vs 0, that the game with $0 advertisement budget would have gotten more or just as much as a the game with $10 million. Please don't tell me you think it'd get just as much.

Mdk7

Oct 27, 2017
Novara, Italy
I hope at least one of the PSVR titles is a major effort on that side entirely made by Sony.
A full blown version of platform from Playroom VR would be killer, for example.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling most of them are VR games and no major titles. Otherwise PSX will have no value at this point
PSX is not only about game reveals or the conference, it´s also about PS fans going there meeting their favorite devs, meet other gaming fans and playing games, like Blizzcon or any other fan driven event.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Last year, sony skipped both gamescom and paris games week. and their psx show was better for it in my opinion.

PSX was pretty good last year, but I'm confident there's enough games coming out next year + 2019 that they could do both shows this year and be fine.

Eh. When PSX first started there simply weren't as many new games--everyone was quiet, because everyone was figuring things out. It's no coincidence that the more they do it, the better the show gets.

Also, you ignored what I said so you could harp on this casual vs. core gamers thing. Doesn't matter when they reveal a game. Ultimately my 52 year old uncle who just bought Wolfenstein: TNC didn't learn about it from watching E3. He learned about it from the buttload of commercials they aired for it. The thing is, as long as you get the sale it doesn't matter where the reveal was. You talked about marketing but marketing doesn't just stop with "show it off at E3". It's, "initial reveal, push it at every conference, give a release date and push that, push DLC as a way to push the game after we've released it", etc. etc.

Spreading the reveals out is to keep core gamers happy. Learn to relax, they're (semi-) catering to us.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
PSX is not only about game reveals or the conference, it´s also about PS fans going there meeting their favorite devs, meet other gaming fans and playing games, like Blizzcon or any other fan driven event.
I know but thats Playstation's main event. Why would they announce anything big in Paris rather than PSX? Doesn't make any sense

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

They won't be major titles, because the thread title is referring to the pre-show and not the main event. So yeah, I expect mostly VR games and indies/smaller-scale titles to be shown. Hopefully the presser itself will have a couple of big announcements for new games though.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Most of us can't actually attend PSX in person, so the reveals and whatnot certainly matter. But usually PSX is one or two major surprises alongside a bunch of indie stuff, Japanese titles, and DLC announcements. Looking back at PSX 2016, the biggest announcements were Lost Legacy, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, and The Last of Us Part II. The rest of it was considerably smaller reveals, looks at games that were due out in Q1, and the stuff I mentioned before. People thought it was a good show. You could easily hold back one or two surprises and snag some third-party reveal and that would be more than enough to leave people impressed.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if we will finally get Dreams release date. This project is still a mystery to me even though I saw the presentation once behind closed doors. They want to create a set of tools for people to create various stages and scenarios (well... "Dreams") to share with others etc. What's taking so long though? Have Sony lost faith in the game? MM seems active on Twitter so I guess it's still coming.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Has this been posted yet? A list of what appeared at the last time Sony did Paris Games Week:

CoD: Zombies map
Star Wars: Battlefront
Street Fighter V Dhalsim Announcement (S1 DLC mention)
Tekken 7
Battleborn
Boundless
Vector
No Man's Sky
Matterfall
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters
Drive Club Bikes
Gravity Rush 2
Uncharted 4
Dreams
RIGS
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Robinson VR
Battle Zone
GT Sport
Wild
Detroit

This actually wasn't terrible. Sony's got a lot to live up to between this and the whole "half the story" bit.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we will finally get Dreams release date. This project is still a mystery to me even though I saw the presentation once behind closed doors. They want to create a set of tools for people to create various stages and scenarios (well... "Dreams") to share with others etc. What's taking so long though? Have Sony lost faith in the game? MM seems active on Twitter so I guess it's still coming.

It's taking so long because it's a complicated game. They're essentially making a game in which you can create other games. And they're presumably also adding a single-player campaign, so it's taking even longer.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the "pre-show exclusives reveal stream" is true, that I really don't understand Sony ... same with E3 this year, arguably their biggest 2017 title; GT:Sport wasn't shown during the main show..
What is the reasoning behind that?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just got on question for this thread:

DMC5..... or nah?

If DMC5 is unveiled before Dec 31st 2018 then I win and you have to wear an avatar of my chosing for a month

If not then I have to wear an avatar of your choosing for a month.

Now that's just cruel, Dah.