• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if all of them are games as a service with a ton of microtransactions....

Sony hasn't written GaaS titles off, but it's not their focus either

"My philosophy is to play to my strengths," he argues. "And if you look at the studios we have - Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Santa Monica Studios, Japan Studios - that's what we do well. We do story. We create characters. I was so gratified to see the response to [Horizon Zero Dawn protagonist] Aloy when she showed up on the screen and the crowd went wild.

"Those are the kind of things we do well. It's what we're known for. It really speaks to our entertainment DNA. We wish to entertain. We wish to make you happy. We wish to make you cry. That whole range of emotions we can pluck at to make you have a great experience.

"Games as a service? We have a bit of that with our MLB [The Show] title - it's got the same virtual currency a lot of sports have - and we have other titles that come up that play in that space. But if you want to make a big generalisation about what does Worldwide Studios do? We're big on character. We're big on story."

So you are happy to concede that ground to Microsoft?

"I'm not conceding anything," Layden snaps back. "I reserve the right to enter anything at any time if I have a team and a concept that works in that space."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ions-shawn-layden-death-stranding-spider-man/

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Can't see anything megaton huge appearing at PGW - surely the real juice will be kept for PSX.

That said I'm curious at the way they have characterised this. 21 "game updates" including "7 new PS4/VR titles" in the pre-show livestream? Okay, fine, that's becoming a familiar MO, but to say nothing of the main briefing is...odd.

Not sure I subscribe to the view that if that's the pre-show, the main briefing will be even bigger. I hope I'm wrong but I'm suspicious that first reveals in the main briefing will be very limited/entirely absent. Sure I expect them to show us some cool stuff, but cool new stuff? Not convinced.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's absurd to assume all the announces are first-party, much less necessarily an exclusive.

It'll be a mix of first-party, third-party, indies for PS4/PSVR. If Sony has a platform to announce games, why wouldn't partner titles take advantage of the timing.

That said I'm curious at the way they have characterised this. 21 "game updates" including "7 new PS4/VR titles" in the pre-show livestream? Okay, fine, that's becoming a familiar MO, but to say nothing of the main briefing is...odd.

Sony has rarely ever described or hinted to the kind of content that will be on their main-stage briefings, ever.

The reason why this pre-show got so much detail is pretty obvious. Sony wants to make their pre-show a thing, but it was ignored during E3 for assumptions that it'll have nothing of merit/will just be talking heads hyping up the conference.

So emphasising early on that the pre-show will have updates AND new stuff will get people paying attention.

I don't expect Sony to be this detailed again next time, once they've set a precedent that their pre-shows will have new content worth tuning in to.

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the assumption it's only first party titles come from and where's the assumption only psx will hold AAA or worthwhile game announcements?

2015 for pgw was pretty good
Matterfall
Wild
Gt sport
Detriot
Boundless
Robinson the journey
Tekken 7 officially announced for a console
That's new announcements, trailers were good too

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
These press conferences are only as good as Sony wants them to be. And frankly, each one of them have a stake on the table.

You think that Jim Ryan wants to host a terrible show with lousy content? If he can't get a good platform to showcase SIEE properly, they woud rather just skip having a conference altogether, just like last year.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Can't see anything megaton huge appearing at PGW - surely the real juice will be kept for PSX.

Not sure I subscribe to the view that if that's the pre-show, the main briefing will be even bigger. I hope I'm wrong but I'm suspicious that first reveals in the main briefing will be very limited/entirely absent. Sure I expect them to show us some cool stuff, but cool new stuff? Not convinced.

I would hope lessons learned from 2015 which had a fairly weak PSG and PSX.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
These press conferences are only as good as Sony wants them to be. And frankly, each one of them have a stake on the table.

You think that Jim Ryan wants to host a terrible show with lousy content? If he can't get a good platform to showcase SIEE properly, they woud rather just skip having a conference altogether, just like last year.

Where is the assumption it's only first party titles come from and where's the assumption only psx will hold AAA or worthwhile game announcements?

2015 for pgw was pretty good
Matterfall
Wild
Gt sport
Detriot
Boundless
Robinson the journey
Tekken 7 officially announced for a console
That's new announcements, trailers were good too

Good points. Memory playing tricks on me clearly.

I'm mainly just salty I'll miss the entire thing due to being in work.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suckerpunch, it's time.

Realistically, we probably won't hear from them till PSX though.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Should we hold our breath for a Ps4 Pro Pro?

On another note, I don't even know if I can keep getting my hopes up for Kingdom Hearts anymore. My hype can only be stretched so thin.
Nah, I don't think we'll see a PS4 Pro^2. At best, we'll see a Pro slim sometime next year. Mayyybe we'll see an official price cut across the board in the wake of the XB1X's release.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it... Sly Cooper, handled by a European dev, is going to be announced!

... Probably not but there will be some cool stuff so long as expectations are in check. Hell, a Dreams re-reveal would basically feel like a new game at this point.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For PSX probably yeah, but I think PGW could be anything.
I think it's probably the other way around actually. Last year's PSX gave us MvC:I which was a multiplatform game. I don't remember many third party multiplat announcements form PGW 2015.
Just out of curiosity, but why is everyone clamoring suddenly for DMC5 to appear at this? It's not just on here but Gamefaqs as well. It's a bit random is all.
People are losing their minds lol

Honestly, you should not expect DMC5 at PGW no matter what. Like, I wouldn't expect to see it here even if it was already announced.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony hasn't written GaaS titles off, but it's not their focus either

"My philosophy is to play to my strengths," he argues. "And if you look at the studios we have - Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Santa Monica Studios, Japan Studios - that's what we do well. We do story. We create characters. I was so gratified to see the response to [Horizon Zero Dawn protagonist] Aloy when she showed up on the screen and the crowd went wild.

"Those are the kind of things we do well. It's what we're known for. It really speaks to our entertainment DNA. We wish to entertain. We wish to make you happy. We wish to make you cry. That whole range of emotions we can pluck at to make you have a great experience.

"Games as a service? We have a bit of that with our MLB [The Show] title - it's got the same virtual currency a lot of sports have - and we have other titles that come up that play in that space. But if you want to make a big generalisation about what does Worldwide Studios do? We're big on character. We're big on story."

So you are happy to concede that ground to Microsoft?

"I'm not conceding anything," Layden snaps back. "I reserve the right to enter anything at any time if I have a team and a concept that works in that space."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ions-shawn-layden-death-stranding-spider-man/
Based Layden. What he's saying is exactly why I love Playstation ever since the PSX days. I'm just can't get into any F2P, GaaS, microtransaction ridden bullshit.

Nah, I don't think we'll see a PS4 Pro^2. At best, we'll see a Pro slim sometime next year. Mayyybe we'll see an official price cut across the board in the wake of the XB1X's release.
Looking at how slick and slim the One X turned out I'm kind of bummed about the Pro's size. A PS4 Pro slim would be great, but since I have a Pro already I probably wouldn't buy it :P

PsVita 2!!
Let me dream :P
I dream with you ... !

Oct 27, 2017
I dont wanna be that guy but does 'new game announcements' actually means what we think it means? What if they show a new character in Detroit for example. Isnt that seen as a new game announcement? The 'new' could mean that the announcement is new... not the game. Lol maybe i'm reading too much into it. I would expect them to say the words 'new games reveals'...

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
People mentioning WiLD, I had completely forgotten about that game but it would be a perfect fit for PGW. I think anything from Sonys US based teams (Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend) would be saved for E3 OR PSX. But I have high hopes any European based studios could be good candidates for reveals at this event. Interested to see how Dreams is shaping up. I'm guessing new reveals will be smaller titles and some VR stuff.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
most games come out 18 to 24 months after their anouncement. most games get a release date around a year after their anouncement. dreams doesnt even have a release window yet. it definately wasnt all smooth sailing for this game.

That's the thing though, you can't compare the development of Dreams to other games imo. It's a game that is also capable of creating entirely new games, in any genre, any kind of perspective, in any style you can imagine and not just games but also music and movies. Expecting this to work with no problems within 24 months is how you get crap like Project Spark. As bad as I want Dreams I want them to take as much time as possible, there's literally no one else that makes the type of games they do at the quality they do. It taking a long time doesn't = they're having problems, especially when they've been so open about the games development and progress.

All the gloom and doom talk or "concern" around Dreams is unwarranted if you ask me.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though, you can't compare the development of Dreams to other games imo. It's a game that is also capable of creating entirely new games, in any genre, any kind of perspective, in any style you can imagine and not just games but also music and movies. Expecting this to work with no problems within 24 months is how you get crap like Project Spark. As bad as I want Dreams I want them to take as much time as possible, there's literally no one else that makes the type of games they do at the quality they do. It taking a long time doesn't = they're having problems, especially when they've been so open about the games development and progress.

All the gloom and doom talk or "concern" around Dreams is unwarranted if you ask me.
Preach egg preach

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
It must just be me. I don't get Dreams. At all. It's not for want of trying either.

Far more interested in seeing some more Wild

Remnant

Oct 26, 2017
They've been saying E3 was just the beginning. I'm hoping we'll get more info about Sucker Punch's new IP.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Love the support PSVR is getting. Hopefully get some more aim controller supported games announced.

I've been pretty impressed with the software support as well, but I'm still holding out hope for Colony Wars. A proper space combat cockpit sim with an actual, full-length single player campaign should have been available much earlier in PSVR's life, and I'm still surprised we don't have a major title that does this. I know End Space tried to fill the void, but it shows its budget roots.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Give me more Co-op campaign VR games, Arizona &a Farpoint was so much fun with a friend.

Nothing tops Resi 7 though, What an experience that was!

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
The nature of the announcement really seemed like they were focusing solely on their own titles.
All they said was they were announcing 7 new games.....at their pre conference show. The only real difference from their other conferences is that they're actually hyping up this conference, they're tweeting about it every day, which they don't usually do.

Also, the 7 announcements are for the pre-show, like Sony's E3 2017 pre show. We got PlayLink games, which are exclusive, but they're really meh. The other announcements were all multiplats, games like Tropico, Undertale etc.

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping for more solid, non-gimmick-based PSVR games. Mine's been collecting dust ever since finishing Rez Infinite and RE7.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
All they said was they were announcing 7 new games.....at their pre conference show. The only real difference from their other conferences is that they're actually hyping up this conference, they're tweeting about it every day, which they don't usually do.

Also, the 7 announcements are for the pre-show, like Sony's E3 2017 pre show. We got PlayLink games, which are exclusive, but they're really meh. The other announcements were all multiplats, games like Tropico, Undertale etc.
Yeah lol, they don't do that usually. That's what gave me my impression. Well, we'll know in a day and a half. If it's anything major, you'd probably start seeing curious trademarks begin popping up. Usually.