• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Normally, consoles are only delivered by sea freight, being cheaper than air freight but slower. I think Sony may be using this to complement their sea freight shipments and make sure there's enough stock everywhere, because it's been rumored stock might be low for both next-gen consoles. This is also ONLY for the US.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure feels like a $599 console is coming alright.

I'm being sarcastic in case someone couldn't tell

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, is this because they want a really high supply compared to past launches and traditional methods can't handle the load, or is it because manufacturing is coming in hot and they have to do this in order to deliver supply quickly?

Or a mix of both?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like 399/499 might be the case. i doubt theres going to be much a demand if the price is higher than that but who knows.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
This for sure puts more confidence that Sony is not going to release a expensive console like some wants to believe.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems needlessly expensive but maybe they were able to get a deal because of decreasing flights during COVID?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if these costs will factor into the PS5's pricing... or if this is part of the justification for a higher price. That can't be cheap.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's an expensive move. I freight stuff around the world semi-regularly (not millions of consoles obviously) and sea freight is a lot cheaper than air freight. Just takes fucking ages.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
very. My uncle works in air and sea freight and i interned there a while back. Air freight is like 4-5X more expensive. At least it used to be precovid. Not sure what it is now.

Sea freight takes like nearly a month to get here while air freight can be days

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Console coming in Hot! Gonna have to have gloves to pick it up. It will be right out of the oven.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, is this because they want a really high supply compared to past launches and traditional methods can't handle the load, or is it because manufacturing is coming in hot and they have to do this in order to deliver supply quickly?

Or a mix of both?

Could be either honestly. Sea freight can take like a month to get across the world. It's really slow.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
If we cross analyse this with the article on the 10M produced by December: That told us they wanted 5M produced by September's end, those units were meant for launch and would likely get there in time by boat.

If they're using air freight in October and beyond, it means they want units from the second 5M (those produced in October and very early November, so 1/2M?) on shelves at launch too. They're aiming to sell 6+M AT LAUNCH, with many more coming in for Xmas too. They want this launch to be absolutely massive.

The PS4 was the fastest selling console of its time when it launched, and it passed 10M in sales in August, the PS5 is looking like it's aiming to get there by the end of February at the latest.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Wonder if these costs will factor into the PS5's pricing... or if this is part of the justification for a higher price. That can't be cheap.
I really don't think you deicde the console price, that usually lasts for 2 year at least, because of how you ship first batch of consoles

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I wonder if the rates have gotten better since airlines are dire for any business right now, probably made it a more viable move

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Increasing production and delivering by plane to meet the demand. They are confident as hell this will sell like hot cakes.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
That's an expensive move. I freight stuff around the world semi-regularly (not millions of consoles obviously) and sea freight is a lot cheaper than air freight. Just takes fucking ages.

They're probably using a mix of both to make sure there's enough stock going around, because as you said, sea freight is really slow and going by social network messages and all that, there's a lot of people that wants one.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
As maybe 10 PS5's can fit on a plane that does not seem to good

I kid, I kid!

Good news, hopefully there are no artificial shortages caused by scalpers