• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Foveated rendering will mean a massive jump for game graphics. It will come a point where playing a 2D/3D traditional game using the headset will allow developers to access a lot more performance out of the same hardware.

PS5 set for wireless PSVR headset with powerful next-gen graphics

"a new patent, published on April 4, 2019, and belonging to Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. Tokyo, has revealed technology designed for a brand-new PlayStation VR headset that includes an integrated eye tracker and delivers super powerful new "foveated rendering" graphics."

I cannot stress this point enough. Once VR headsets starts to include Foveated Rendering, it will be game over for regular screens on regards to gaming performance. Having a GPU not render 95% of the pixels and you not noticing a difference will mean a massive, massive jump in performance.

Full Res Image
Full-Res.png

95% of the pixels removed
qzesut.jpg

Missing Pixels filled by Machine learning (You wont notice as the pixels that you are looking at will be rendered in full detail).
2r7aqgk.jpg

https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-set-for...nbQDBOi6cLd3MO0io6p9pihJcKV3_qSDV3YoS3M-4SgpM

Direct link to the patent:
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?OS=DN/20190101980&RS=DN/20190101980&Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&f=G&l=50&p=1&r=1&s1="20190101980".PGNR.&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to use foveated rendering to enhance 2D games' visuals but I do think it's going to be amazing for VR games. Wireless is also going to be HUGE for VR.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't really care for more "powerful graphics", the limitations of PSVR so far has forced a lot of devs to experiment with different visual styles and I am thankful for that. Wireless on the other hand, it would be a huge thing.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I both love and hate Sony's current direction with VR. Love that its getting a niche properly explored in the gaming space, but i cant bring myself to care about it in the least

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I both love and hate Sony's current direction with VR. Love that its getting a niche properly explored in the gaming space, but i cant bring myself to care about it in the least
It's a very cool, very unique experience that I love but it does bum me out that most of their indie support has moved toward securing VR games instead of funding games more people will be able to play.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
So long as they're not still tethered to the Move controllers, this'll be quite exciting. Seeing what's on the horizon with the Valve Index and the (what used to be called) Knuckles controllers it's hard to imagine them offering huge leaps like wireless and eye tracking but skimp on the user input side of things.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Missing a "Rumor" in the title. Sony patents a lot and while indicative for what areas they are pursuing, this is in no way a guarantee this patent will directly apply to a PSVR2.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While it would be a MASSIVE leap forward I don't believe that Sony would sell a wireless headset with foveated rendering for PS5 within the next few years, the tech isn't there yet for a headset like that at a consumer price point.

That said if they somehow made that miracle happen I'd be there day one.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So long as they're not still tethered to the Move controllers, this'll be quite exciting. Seeing what's on the horizon with the Valve Index and the (what used to be called) Knuckles controllers it's hard to imagine them offering huge leaps like wireless and eye tracking but skimp on the user input side of things.
We've seen patents for PSVR grip controllers, I'm pretty sure new inputs are a lock for PSVR2.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If this happens.....I'll be glad I held off on PSVR.

Because it's getting harder n harder to not jump in right now, lol.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think they're going to use foveated rendering to enhance 2D games' visuals but I do think it's going to be amazing for VR games. Wireless is also going to be HUGE for VR.

The Vive Pro Eye is already doing Foveated Rendering to some extent. Check the video below from Michael Abrash talking about the massive potential gains to performance that Foveated Rendering will allow, we're talking about not having to render 90% of the pixels in a frame.

HTC Vive Pro Eye hands-on: Gaze into VR's future with foveated rendering
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/10/...gaze-into-vrs-future-with-foveated-rendering/

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the point here is that 2D games can be converted to VR games, because eye-tracking allows foveated rendering to reduce rendering load without compromising graphics.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
wow if true and the product delivers. i hope ms has big plans but if not, this could be my entry into vr (and a return to being a multiconsole owner!)

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't really care for more "powerful graphics", the limitations of PSVR so far has forced a lot of devs to experiment with different visual styles and I am thankful for that. Wireless on the other hand, it would be a huge thing.

Check the video I posted from Michael Abrash talking about foveated rendering. The gains can be so big that eventually developers will be able to do more in a VR game graphically, than on a traditional 2D screen, on the same hardware. That applies to playing a 2D game using a VR headset.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The timing on release for PSVR 2 is going to be interesting. Do you launch it alongside the PS5, likely at $399 like PSVR launched at, or do you wait say 6 months to get away from people claiming PS5 costs $800 to be all in due to PSVR2?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome if true and that they'll double down in the tech. I have a rift and it is awesome but wireless and improved graphics will make psvr2 very tempting. I'm already sure I'll get a ps5 as well.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
The timing on release for PSVR 2 is going to be interesting. Do you launch it alongside the PS5, likely at $399 like PSVR launched at, or do you wait say 6 months to get away from people claiming PS5 costs $800 to be all in due to PSVR2?

Hopefully they learned from MS and don't try to bundle it and sell the console around it.

I am EXTREMELY skeptical of this though. If the promises are true this thing is going to cost as much as the console. So really rough market penetration because of that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Some ppl will claim that regardless of when it launched. Just go back to when it launched this gen.

This gen it was the PSVR costs plus the cost of the console.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they learned from MS and don't try to bundle it and sell the console around it.

I am EXTREMELY skeptical of this though. If the promises are true this thing is going to cost as much as the console. So really rough market penetration because of that.

If it truly ends up being wireless, I have no idea how it can't be as expensive or more expensive than the console especially when you look at the Vive Pro and the ridiculous wireless accessory for that. I would love to be proven wrong by Sony but I can't see it happening.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I doubt they even announce a PSVR2 in the same year as the PS5 launch. I give it 2 years to release after the PS5 launches. Sony would be insane to muddle the waters releasing a brand new system and a brand new expensive peripheral at the same time.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

If Sony makes the PSVR2 a stand alone unit, I think they can announce it and launch it on the same day or close to the PS5. A stand alone unit allows Sony to sell the PSVR2 as separate platform.

Feb 10, 2018
Great news, Now Sony just need to give an extra push and release AAA VR titles (or at least 1 per year and several AA)
Astro bot and other PSVR titles are great in there own right, but they are not games that can really push a gaming platform like God of war, uncharted and horizon do.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Having jumped in with a PSVR sale combo last year, I am definitely interested in what they will bring next gen. If they can get more of their AAA games to at least offer something with well implemented VR, it can work to spread awareness.

They've done great this gen with it. I want more...