• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Sony Group Corp. warned a group of analysts the PlayStation 5 will remain in short supply through 2022, suggesting the company will be constrained in its ability to boost sales targets for its latest games console.
"I don't think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn't be able to catch up with demand," Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said at the briefing, according to several people who attended and asked not to be named as it wasn't public.
www.bloomberg.com

Sony Warns Tight PlayStation 5 Supply to Extend Into Next Year

Sony Group Corp. warned a group of analysts the PlayStation 5 will remain in short supply through 2022, suggesting the company will be constrained in its ability to boost sales targets for its latest games console.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, glad I still have plenty of games to play on other platforms.

(My poor brother is going to be so frustrated.)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hunting for a PS5 during the Holiday season was the worst shit ever, I'm so glad I was able to get one so I didn't have to continue doing that.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
My dream of swapping out the disc version for the disc-less version will not come true in 2021.

sad.gif

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It makes a lot of sense considering the software lineup is only going to become even more compelling to more people, making demand soar even higher. Not to mention when a product is hard to find, there's a sense of rarity that draws even more people in acquiring said product just for the sake of owning it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, I expect it to be a hot holiday item all over again with not much pain in how they're obtained changing. The only next-gen system that seems to actually be a bit "cooled-off" on grabbing is the Series S and even that does sell out even if not in an instant.

Definitely starts to make more sense as to why some of the bigger stuff like Horizon 2 and maybe even GOW 2 are going to be cross-gen.

-------

I expect Sony will still lower some of their 1st party prices for BF deals. Could see Returnal, Ratchet, & Demons all being 50-60 each this holiday.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like they just completely whiffed on price given the lack of supply coming anywhere close to demand. I get -why- its $499 but it'd still be impossible to find it they charged $699

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I am glad I got one, but I feel for the people that have been hunting since day 1. XSX and GPUs will be the same too. It's going to be rough getting your hands on these products.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Happy I atleast managed to get a Series X. And I love my Switch.

But damn. Guess I'm not getting one until late 2022? There hasn't been any supply in my country for the whole of May. I gave up on actively checking every morning.

Wonder what the situation will be with the Switch Pro. I guess it'll be get a preorder in or forget it.

Michael

Oct 28, 2017
It feels like they just completely whiffed on price given the lack of supply coming anywhere close to demand. I get -why- its $499 but it'd still be impossible to find it they charged $699

a reasonable price builds loyal lifetime customers and hype.
At $699 hype would be way down, resentment would be up, and I don't think retail demand would support that price level for more than a couple months. JMO.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
699?

dear lord no stop

I mean scalper prices are still way north of that. Still.

a reasonable price builds loyal lifetime customers and hype.
At $699 hype would be way down, resentment would be up, and I don't think retail demand would support that price level for more than a couple months. JMO.

Right I mean I don't disagree. But the fact that its literally not in stock anywhere for more than 30 seconds at a time more than 6 months later means... they probably could have charged more

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The demand is really insane. Hopefully next year it will be easier to get one.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't that's really how things work. Announcing a $599 or $699 MSRP back in October (or whenever it was) hundreds of dollars more than the competition, would have hurt the brand and value perception, even if a lot of people are willing to pay more via scalpers.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
EWZdCA6.jpg

Right I mean I don't disagree. But the fact that its literally not in stock anywhere for more than 30 seconds at a time more than 6 months later means... they probably could have charged more
Just because they could've doesn't mean they "whiffed" it by not pricing it over $700 dollars.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I don't that's really how things work. Announcing a $599 or $699 MSRP back in October (or whenever it was) hundreds of dollars more than the competition, would have hurt the brand and value perception, even if a lot of people are willing to pay more via scalpers.

I mean they were straight up willing to charge a premium for software at the same time their competition was devaluing the price of their own software releases. Maybe $699 is a stretch but if PS5 was $100 more than XSX it'd still be impossible to find.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I expect it to be a hot holiday item all over again with not much pain in how they're obtained changing. The only next-gen system that seems to actually be a bit "cooled-off" on grabbing is the Series S and even that does sell out even if not in an instant.

Yeah Series S usually lasts like 40 minutes to an hour when they go up compared to the blink of an eye the PS5 and Series X go out.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It's thankfully not too hard to get one in Australia if you're willing to sit on a waiting list for a bit (A tip for those in Australia, I think it was about 6 weeks for me after I went into JB-HiFi and put my name down on the waiting list in early March so it's worth giving it a shot if you want one), but I know a lot of people in other countries that are having an absolute shit of a time trying to get one despite trying since launch. Demand really has been crazy, and scalpers have really been the scum of the earth with hardware these past 12 months or so. I've given up on a 3080 despite primarily being a PC gamer, I can stick out my 1080ti for a while longer - fuck the amount of mental energy trying to get one of those took last year and early this year.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Just be thankful if they keep the same prices. Looking at how GPU makers are literally scalping their own products...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm not planning to buy a PS5 until late 2022 at the earliest - I dont mind waiting till 2023 either but I hope the shortage issues get resolved at least by end of 2022.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I got 2 of them, 1 for me another for a friend. Felt pretty about doing that.

Yeah Series S usually lasts like 40 minutes to an hour when they go up compared to the blink of an eye the PS5 and Series X go out.

Never seen Series S out of stock where I'm from, on the contrary just a couple days ago they had them with 20% off lol

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Chip shortages are not going to improve for many more years so yeah its obvious.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks the heavens I was up when amazon pre-orders dropped....

PS5; more exclusive then its actual exclusives!

Nov 4, 2017
Me interacting with Nintendo and Steam for the rest of the year:
take-my-money.gif

I'll just keep myself busy on other platforms until I can get a PS5.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Good thing a lot of upcoming games are gonna be cross gen

I don't know what I'd do with myself if Lost Judgement was next gen only

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I got one the day they went up for preorders I guess :/ Was even miffed it arrived two days late.
The only next-gen system that seems to actually be a bit "cooled-off" on grabbing is the Series S and even that does sell out even if not in an instant.
Yeah, at least in Australia, the Series S never seems to go out of stock.