• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 7, 2020
I don't know if this was posted already but its not too surprising by how well Returnal did financially. I also posted the link to the original article but its in Swedish Finnish I believe, so if someone is able to translate then that would be wonderful. Close if already posted.

thegamepost.com

Sony Has Not Been The Only Party Interested In Housemarque, Co-Founder Says

Housemarque CEO says that Sony was not the only party interested in acquiring the studio behind PlayStation exclusive, Returnal.

Edit: Fixed the URL to the original interview. Also someone mentioned that its written in Finnish.
yle.fi

Nyt Housemarque kertoo kesän kohutuimmasta pelikaupasta: “Sony osti meidät, koska teemme jotakin sellaista, mitä muut eivät tee”

Yle haastatteli Housemarquen Ilari Kuittista ja Mikael Haveria tuoreen yrityskaupan tiimoilta. Kauppa kuuluu Suomen pelialan historian suurimpiin.

Last edited:

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
I wonder who was interested in them as well. I mean no other publishers really worked with them

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet it was Tencent. They invested in 62 companies this year alone, and wants to get into the console AAA business.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
I don't know if this was posted already but its not too surprising by how well Returnal did financially. I also posted the link to the original article but its in Swedish I believe, so if someone is able to translate then that would be wonderful. Close if already posted.

thegamepost.com

Sony Has Not Been The Only Party Interested In Housemarque, Co-Founder Says

Housemarque CEO says that Sony was not the only party interested in acquiring the studio behind PlayStation exclusive, Returnal.

We don't know how well Returnal did financially. We weren't told any sales numbers

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Article says companies from China, Sweden and the US. So Tencent, Embracer and Microsoft?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They were too invested with Sony's studios already. Sony seems to buy studios that they already have a good relationship.
(Although the Nixxes one was out of nowhere lol)

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The full quote using google translate.
(''Waste'' should probably be ''parties'' or ''companies'')
However, according to Ilari Kuittinen, another founder and CEO of Housemarque, Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque, but other gaming waste has also been involved.
-Usual Suspects , ie major players in the field from China, Sweden and the United States. I have to say that there is a very special spring behind us and the fact that we have been competing even feels a little surreal.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tencent and Embracer for sure, MS probably but could be Epic. Usual Suspects makes me think MS though.

Wonder at what point these companies reached out, given that Sony wanted to acquire them last year.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That would be ballsy for Microsoft to go after Housemarque, means nothing is off the table.

would be like Sony trying to buy playground before they were brought in house

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Huh? they own alot of the games HM made already so that makes no sense
Obviously, we can't say one way or another. But it seems plausible to me. Housemarque were already basically doing what Sony wanted from them but if they were looking to sell there is no guarantee the new management would continue with their Sony partnership in the long term. Therefore, even if Sony hadn't necessarily planned on acquiring Housemarque, they could have been forced to in order to prevent someone else from doing so.

The alternative is of course that Sony just thought up some big plans for Housemarque and wanted to invest in them for the future. Both scenarios are things that happen fairly regularly.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I know it's just speculation that they were interested but just imagining the insanity on here if MS picked up Housemarque 🙃 would probably need to take a vacation from the internet lol

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder who was interested in them as well. I mean no other publishers really worked with them

Given Housemarque past history, I would guess Ubisoft. They did develop Outland for them.

Housemarque also worked with Activision on a few games (Angry Birds Trilogy) but unless they worked with them on COD, Activision probably wouldn't be interested.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, we can't say one way or another. But it seems plausible to me. Housemarque were already basically doing what Sony wanted from them but if they were looking to sell there is no guarantee the new management would continue with their Sony partnership in the long term. Therefore, even if Sony hadn't necessarily planned on acquiring Housemarque, they could have been forced to in order to prevent someone else from doing so.

The alternative is of course that Sony just thought up some big plans for Housemarque and wanted to invest in them for the future. Both scenarios are things that happen fairly regularly.
Sony wanted to buy Housemarque before Returnal was finished, HM just said put talks on hold until they are finished with the game before diving into those talks, probably due to not really having the staff to do both. So pretty unlikely it was reactionary.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The article specifically states that these are "usual suspects" from China, US and Sweden. China is probably referring Tencent and Sweden is most definitely referring to Embracer Group. US can be a bunch of options.

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
China: Tencet or NetEase
Sweden: Embracer (They did say they talked to 100+ studios not to long ago)
USA: Much harder to figure out who the most likely candidate is.

Activision, Take-Two, Epic, Microsoft, EA and Amazon Games are one way or another potential buyers on paper.

I know this is kinda repeat but I wanted to say my thoughts.

Bigfoot

Dec 4, 2020
Now Housemarque talks about the most sensational game story of the summer: "Sony bought us because we do something others don't do"

Yle interviewed Housemarque's Ilari Kuittinen and Mikael Haveri about the recent acquisition. The deal is one of the largest in the history of the Finnish gaming industry.

The hottest game news of the summer was heard last Tuesday, when the gaming company Sony Interactive Entertainment announced that it had bought Housemarque, the oldest and one of the largest gaming companies in Finland, founded in 1995.

However, according to Ilari Kuittinen, co-founder and CEO of Housemarque, Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque, and that other gaming giants had also been involved.

- "Usual Suspects, ie major players in the field from China, Sweden and the United States. I have to say that it's been a very unusual spring for us and the fact that there has been competition to get us feels a little surreal."

The giant deal, the price of which is secret, could be said to be a logical continuation to Housemarque's operations and development.

- "This deal gives us the financial freedom to develop the company towards being like the best gaming studios in the world. It allows us to create new gaming experiences that are even bigger and more ambitious" Kuittinen says.

Housemarque's latest game, Returnal, gives an indication of the future. The unique Returnal was done in four years and cost tens of millions of euros to make. At the same time, the critically acclaimed game elevated Housemarque to the AAA Series, the maker of big-budget games.

Sony has been a long-term partner

Housemarque has been working closely with Sony for fifteen years, since the days of the Playstation 3. In addition, Sony was a sponsor and publisher of Returnal. According to Housemarque Marketing Manager Mikael Haveri, in addition to a long history, trust has developed between the companies, and now was the right time to join forces.

- "We have never been this big as a company and Returnal is our biggest output so far. One could talk about some kind of climax: we are now looking at the potential future. What if we put even more ammunition in and made games for large audiences with high goals in terms of artistry and innovation as well?" Haveri anticipates

Sony-owned gaming houses include the Dutch Guerrilla Games as well as the American Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games.

- "This is already the first class based on numerous international awards. It's pretty nice to be in a family like this", Mikael Haveri sums up.

One of the sources of inspiration for Returnal's scary monsters has been the gloomy surreal and disturbing nightmares of Polish contemporary artist Zdzisław Beksiński. Seeking inspiration from such a source brings a clear distinction to Housemarque.

A game house of its own kind

Trade invariably involves mutual benefits, as is the case with Housemarque and Sony. According to Ilari Kuittinen, Sony will now get a gaming company in its portfolio that does completely unique games .

- "In our discussions, it became clear that Sony wanted to buy us because we are doing something that others are not doing. Their starting point has not been that we would start making games according to the formula defined by Sony."

According to Mikael Haveri, the diversity and distinctiveness of Housemarque has also been beneficial.

- "We have not been the biggest product, but we have managed to activate players for an exchange of opinions. This has its advantages."

Sony is a Japanese company, and the Japanese are known to have sympathies for Finns. This is also probably some kind of point of attraction between Sony and Housemarque.

- "Just over ten years ago, the Japanese FromSoftware brought the challenge back to the game world with its game Dark Souls. In this sense, we can also find relatives there" Ilari Kuittinen says.

According to Kuittinen, there are other common factors.

- "For example, work culture and fascination with technological development are such things. On the other hand, it is difficult to say what kind of benefit could be talked about in the case of Finnishness, and whether the benefit comes through something indirectly."

Housemarque has got into the top club

According to game editor and author Juho Kuorikoski, the deal between Sony and Housemarque has nothing but benefits for both parties.

- "This is a really big deal. Sony now has its own gaming studio in Finland, and although Housemarque has been an important partner for Sony in the past, it is now an insider and has gained access to a great group."

According to Kuorikoski, for Housemarque, above all, the trade means stability and continuity.

- "Four years ago, Housemarque had quite difficult moments with its game Nex Machina, but at the moment, the company's future is secured."

Large game deals have been made in Finland before. Supercell was taken over by Chinese Tencent in 2016, and American company Zynga bought Small Giant Games a couple of years ago. These are mobile gaming companies.

- "If you think of Housemarque, a console game deal of this size class has hardly been made in Finland before" Juho Kuorikoski says.

But what kind of future plans does the now Sony-owned Housemarque have?

- "Now we sit back, take a summer vacation and in the autumn we develop and try new ideas. Something bigger and more ambitious is coming, Ilari Kuittinen says."

Translation Google Translate with some translation errors fixed.

Edit: Some grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ran the article through google translate and read through it and compared it to the original , gets the point across well enough I think.
It's kind of broken in terms of grammar and some words here and there are just ??? but I'm too lazy to actually translate it.

edit: Bigfoot did what I was originally going to do until I got lazy. :D

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to imagine someone like Devolver Digital, another primarily indie publisher.

Maybe prior to Returnal they would've been interested, but Housemarque have been clear that they like the AAA approach of that game and it's the direction hey want to continue in. Particularly since they're able to incorporate their arcade gameplay into a AAA product.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
wccftech.com

Housemarque CEO: “The Usual” Major Other Players Were Interested in Purchasing Us as Well

According to Housemargue co-founder Ilari Kuittinen, Sony wasn't the only major player interested in purchasing the Returnal developer.

Housemargue was recently acquired by Sony as part of its PlayStation Studios, but according to the CEO of the Finish studio, Sony wasn't the only company that was interested in a purchase.

Following the announcement of the deal between Sony and Housemarque, Finish outlet interview founders Ilari Kuittinen and Mikael Haveri about the acquisition, and according to co-founder, the multiple major companies expressed their interest in the development studio.

"Usual Suspects", Kuittinen said in the interview."[That is] major players in the field from China, Sweden, and the United States. I have to say that there is a very special spring behind us and the fact that we have been competing even feels a little surreal."

The co-founder added, "this deal gives us the financial freedom to develop the company towards the best gaming studios in the world. It allows us to create new gaming experiences that are even bigger and more ambitious."

Major players from the above-mentioned countries could possibly include Tencent, the Embracer Group (former Nordic), and possibly Microsoft.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably EA, Activision, Embracer, Tencent, etc

EDIT: definitely Embracer and Tencent

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
I think they went with the most logical choice. Happy they will continue working with sony. Returnal was awesome.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume Embracer has a standing offer with every AA independent studio in EU

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
There's already been a thread on this. Also are we supposed to be shocked more companies were interested..?