• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Resident Evil directors cut on PS3 (EU psn store on console after adding funds to wallet). It was a nice bundle of 1, 2 and 3 for £12.

The interesting part is 2 and 3 are the NTSC versions. I guess because Virgin interactive published the PAL versions originally.

The bonus from this is that I can play RE1 on PS5 and see for myself the difference between playing the game on PS3 at actual 50hz and playing on PS5 with the 50hz game running in the 60hz container. It is unbelievable how poor of an experience the PS5 version is compared to the PS3.

Comparing the PAL RE1 versus NTSC RE2 also demonstrated the faster, smoother movement speed and no borders.

Hopefully the NTSC versions of PSone games come to PS5 soon. Any kind of time frame information from Sony would be nice but I think we just have to continue to be patient.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably saving the news for the theoretical september showcase. "We've been hard at work to bring our Premium members PS1 games that don't give you freaking headache. Also as an apology for adding no Premium games in august we're planning on adding twice as many games in September. Stay tuned for further updates when we fucking feel like we can be bothered to do the bare minimum."

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
The bonus from this is that I can play RE1 on PS5 and see for myself the difference between playing the game on PS3 at actual 50hz and playing on PS5 with the 50hz game running in the 60hz container. It is unbelievable how poor of an experience the PS5 version is compared to the PS3.
This has been the real issue since they started putting emulated PS2 games on PS4 in 2016. PAL games are far more playable when the console is actually outputting 50Hz. The judder introduced by the post-render conversion to 60Hz is unacceptable.

We know PS4 and PS5 are capable of outputting at 50Hz, since they can play DVDs and BDs at that refresh rate. They just need to be updated to support 50Hz while playing games, and that will instantly make the PAL PS Plus Premium games far more playable.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's disappointing that we're some 70 days out since that tweet and there's been nothing at all about how they intend to resolve this, and how long they expect it to take.

We know the NTSC versions of these games exist, and they are packaged up and working perfectly fine on PS4/PS5 in the regions they've already been released in. So are we just waiting for them to get legal clearance to release these versions of the games in PAL regions, or are they working on a broader range of changes to fix some of the emulation glitches at the same time as making both PAL and NTSC options available.

A little communication to set expectations would've gone a long way.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's disappointing that we're some 70 days out since that tweet and there's been nothing at all about how they intend to resolve this, and how long they expect it to take.

We know the NTSC versions of these games exist, and they are packaged up and working perfectly fine on PS4/PS5 in the regions they've already been released in. So are we just waiting for them to get legal clearance to release these versions of the games in PAL regions, or are they working on a broader range of changes to fix some of the emulation glitches at the same time as making both PAL and NTSC options available.

I'm hoping it's all being rolled in with improvements to the emulator.

Digital Foundry and other outlets did a good job of cataloguing problems with the current version.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
tbf look how many games they have to update they must be snowed under just trying to catch up with the monthly releases.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

My own unproved theory is that its legal or license related. As you say, the NTSC versions already exist and work on PS4/5. There really should be no miracle fix needed, just make those versions selectable in Europe... so I have to imagine they have some legal hurdle they cant clear (yet) to do that, else what's taking them so long?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
My own unproved theory is that its legal or license related. As you say, the NTSC versions already exist and work on PS4/5. There really should be no miracle fix needed, just make those versions selectable in Europe... so I have to imagine they have some legal hurdle they cant clear (yet) to do that, else what's taking them so long?
I doubt it's licensing, they already have some NTSC games available in Europe.

I think they might be struggling with either having NTSC and PAL ISOs in the same container file (and probably don't want to break them into separate files since they've already stupidly done that for PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game) or else maybe they're trying to figure out how not to break save files/states for people.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Resident Evil directors cut on PS3 (EU psn store on console after adding funds to wallet). It was a nice bundle of 1, 2 and 3 for £12.

The interesting part is 2 and 3 are the NTSC versions. I guess because Virgin interactive published the PAL versions originally.

Virgin published part 1 in Europe too, except for the Saturn version that was published by Sega. They were Capcom's European publisher for most of the PS1 generation, up to sometime in 2000 when Eidos briefly took over before Capcom started self-publishing in Europe (in fact RE3 was originally published by Eidos). So I have no idea why RE1 DC is PAL—the German and French versions at least had the uncut FMVs, but none of the English versions did.

Oct 27, 2017
Virgin published part 1 in Europe too, except for the Saturn version that was published by Sega. They were Capcom's European publisher for most of the PS1 generation, up to sometime in 2000 when Eidos briefly took over before Capcom started self-publishing in Europe (in fact RE3 was originally published by Eidos). So I have no idea why RE1 DC is PAL—the German and French versions at least had the uncut FMVs, but none of the English versions did.
That's interesting. I had the Saturn version of 1 so that explains why I didn't remember seeing a Virgin logo.

When you boot the Director's Cut on PS5 there isn't any mention of Virgin. Nor in the legal document. Publisher is CE Europe limited.

They didn't have the original RE1 on the PS3 store, just Director's Cut. I guessed that the original version was also published by Virgin but DC was Sony.

I didn't realise the French version has the uncut scenes. I just changed my PS5 system language to French, booted the game and it's now playing the intro in colour. Cool. Thanks!

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise the French version has the uncut scenes. I just changed my PS5 system language to French, booted the game and it's now playing the intro in colour. Cool. Thanks!

A rare benefit to having the PAL versions it seems.

Regarding Virgin publishing, RE1 DC does have their logo on the original PAL box but I don't recall it being mentioned in-game. But equally I don't recall the PAL RE2/RE3 mentioning Virgin in-game either (if that was the reason they opted for the NTSC version of those on PS3 instead of PAL). The PAL version of RE3 used libcrypt copy protection which I believe did not work with their emulator on PS3 (I don't think you could even play the original disc version) so that is likely why they had to use the NTSC version for that, and they may have then opted for RE2 being NTSC too at the same time because they had somebody who actually cared in charge of things then....

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
So Syphon Filter 2 - the first game released since this announcement - is now available and they have added a change region option in the emulators menu to allow you to switch between PAL and NTSC.

Finally some progress!

It seems like which PAL version you get is still tired to your consoles language with no way to switch that within the emulator itself.

View: https://imgur.com/kI7Nz2Q

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So Syphon Filter 2 - the first game released since this announcement - is now available and they have added a change region option in the emulators menu to allow you to switch between PAL and NTSC.

Finally some progress!

It seems like which PAL version you get is still tired to your consoles language with no way to switch that within the emulator itself.

🥳

Maybe they'll have this sorted once and for all by next month

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Finally some progress!

It's something at least, but I'd really appreciate if they gave some information when the original titles were getting the option. 3 months waiting to get to play Ape Escape is killing me.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Finally some progress!

Brilliant news! I planned to replay the Syphon Filter games but put that on pause pending the NTSC update, hopefully the first game will get the same emulator option soon.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's something at least, but I'd really appreciate if they gave some information when the original titles were getting the option. 3 months waiting to get to play Ape Escape is killing me.

Same! Especially if it's effectively an ISO switch. Not sure why the wait.

Great to see progress though!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Finally some progress!

Giving an option to choose between the versions is pretty nice.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Finally some progress!

Fucking A. Can't wait for the rest to get this option. Dying to play RE and Ape Escape.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Finally some progress!

Whatt?!!? So you have to download the PAL version anyway and THEN change it in-game?
I hope those are true NTSC version and not some weird conversions... the trophy list stay the same?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hopefully the original releases get patched today.
Hopefully.
🥺

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Whatt?!!? So you have to download the PAL version anyway and THEN change it in-game?
I hope those are true NTSC version and not some weird conversions... the trophy list stay the same?

It's effectively just swapping disc images internally so yes this will be the proper original NTSC release.

The game defaulted to booting the NTSC version. It's possible that if your console is set to one of the European languages which used to get their own localised releases (eg. French, German, Italian, Spanish) that the game may default to booting the PAL version for that region if one is available. If only English is available I'd expect it to always prefer the NTSC version.

There is still a single trophy list (but this has always been the case, the different PAL and NTSC PS1 and PS2 games previously released all shared a single trophy list).

Save states and game saves are not compatible with each other if you switch regions.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I confirm it works on Syphon Filter 2, it even directly start with the NTSC version.
I did some switches and saw that the NTSC version is slower than the PAL, so I thought they fucked up something with either the PAL or NTSC version.

I did some searches and apparently back then the PAL version of Syphon Filter 2 was actually faster than NTSC.
I guess that the original team tried to compensate the fact that the game could have ran slower due to the lower framerate of PAL conversion (like happened with games like Crash) but they speed it up too much?

I have no idea, especially since the PAL version seems smoother as well, so maybe they just gone from the supposedly 20FPS of the NTSC version to the 25FPS of PAL (instead of using the infamous 16.6/17FPS that was used on the fist Syphon Filter) and that would explain why is smoother and faster.

I have to see at how many FPS the PAL version runs on an emulator, I'm curious now.

Surely this isn't the easiest game to see the NTSC and PAL differences, I think that a lot of people will get confused by doing home made comparison X'D

EDIT: tried on Duckstation, both versions actually runs at 20FPS, the PAL runs at 21FPS tho, so there are a lot of frame skips compared to the NTSC, that is smooth in comparison (considering that those are 20FPS, but I'm on a 120Hz resolution so it fits).
Don't know if the 21FPS thing is an emulator thing or not but yeah, that's it.
It should look even worse on real hardware since the PAL PS1 would have used a 50Hz signal to run the PAL version of SF2... it's weird.

Now I don't understand why the NTSC version on PS5 looks less smooth tho, since they originally both ran at 20FPS... I need to do more testing.

EDIT2: ok, on emulator both versions seems to have the same game speed, so I don't know what to trust now.
Surely on PS5 the NTSC version is visibly slower, and I think it's less "smooth" since it lacks the frame interpolation they have add on PAL versions of the games on PS5 (I guess it's still a thing, right?).

To have a definitive answer they should be tried on real hardware I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I confirm it works on Syphon Filter 2, it even directly start with the NTSC version.
I did some switches and saw that the NTSC version is slower than the PAL and I thought they fucked up something with either the PAL or NTSC version.

I did some searches and apparently back then the PAL version Syphon Filter 2 was actually faster than NTSC.
I guess that the original team tried to compensate the fact that the game could have ran slower due to the lower framerate of PAL conversion (like happened with games like Crash) but they speed it up too much?

I have no idea, especially since the PAL version seems smoother as well, so maybe they just gone from the supposedly 20FPS of the NTSC version to the 25FPS of PAL (instead of using the infamous 16.6/17FPS that was used on the fist Syphon Filter) and that would explain why is smoother and faster.

I have to see at how many FPS the PAL version runs on an emulator, I'm curious now.

Surely this isn't the easiest game to see the NTSC and PAL differences, I think that a lot of people will get confused by doing home made comparison X'D

I've never looked at Syphon Filter differences but the PAL game did release 6 months after the US version. It's possible they improved the framerate and altered the game speed while doing the localised version. However I'd still expect the PAL version to be noticeably worse due to the 50hz -> 60hz interpolation.

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this has been the reason PS1 roll out. Trying to ensure no oneis getting a bad impression going forward

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I've never looked at Syphon Filter differences but the PAL game did release 6 months after the US version. It's possible they improved the framerate and altered the game speed while doing the localised version. However I'd still expect the PAL version to be noticeably worse due to the 50hz -> 60hz interpolation.

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.
I've edited my post again, give it a look, to summarize:

-The NTSC version on PS5 is definitely slower and it fits what was told on the speedrun.com forum.
-The PAL version on PS5 looks "smoother" probably due to the interpolation, but since the PAL version runs at 20FPS then it fits the 60Hz signal and doesn't look that bad, at least on my Plasma.
-On DuckStation both versions runs at the same speed and I don't know why (I don't have any overclock or sort of).
-Both PAL and NTSC versions on PS5 doesn't have a proper DualShock support, the analog stick actually emulate the d-pad with 8 directions, it plays like ass compared to DuckStation.

They probably need to be tested on real hardware to have more definitive answer, would be nice to see Dark1x give it a look.

Oct 27, 2017
I just made quick tests with Duckstation.

Internal framerate is 19.98 fps for NTSC version and 20.91 fps for PAL version. So, PAL version is just slightly faster. I just tested the very first area.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I just made quick tests with Duckstation.

Internal framerate is 19.98 fps for NTSC version and 20.91 fps for PAL version. So, PAL version is just slightly faster. I just tested the very first area.
On DuckStation the speed between the two version is almost the same yeah, I noticed a very slightly faster speed on PAL version but nothing compared to what it looks comparint PS5 PAL and PS5 NTSC.

If you try on PS5 tho, the NTSC version is much slower in comparison to both PAL version on PS5 and NTSC and PAL versions on DuckStation, which speed wise looks more in like with the PAL version on PS5.

Something is actually wrong with the NTSC version of the game on PS5 (at least the NTSC version present in the European package via) if the speed of DuckStation is coherent with the original hardware, which would make sense since how accurate DuckStation is.

I've made a comparison between the PS5 PAL and PS5 NTSC version.
You have to click play on all the videos, wait a couple of seconds and then press the play button on bottom to start the videos in sync. Refresh the page to resync since if the "resync" button doesn't work (like in my case):

viewsync.net

ViewSync - Multiple YouTube Viewer

Streamlined multiple YouTube viewer with built-in support for content creators.

In this case the PAL version is not only "slightly" faster, the NTSC in comparison is super slow and NOT on pair to what DuckStation is showing. I did another comparison between DuckStation PAL and DuckStation NTSC:

viewsync.net

To finish it I've did a 4 way comparison as well, from top left to bottom right you have PS5 NTSC, PS5 PAL, DuckStation NTSC, DuckStation PAL:

viewsync.net

As you can see, both PS5 Pal and DuckStation PAL finish at the same time, while the PS5 NTSC is much slower then DuckStation NTSC.

So yeah, something is wrong with the PS5 NTSC version of Syphon Filter 2, at least the one accessible in Europe.
I don't know if this is this case with the one present on USA store as well.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On DuckStation the speed between the two version is almost the same yeah, I noticed a very slightly faster speed on PAL version but nothing compared to what it looks on PS5.
If you try on PS5 tho, the NTSC version is much slower in comparison to both PAL version on PS5 and NTSC and PAL versions on DuckStation, which speed wise looks more in like with the PAL version on PS5.

Maybe something is actually wrong with the NTSC version of the game on PS5 (are least the NTSC version present in the European package via) and the speed of DuckStation is coherent with the original hardware, which would make more sense since how accurate DuckStation is.

I've made a comparison between the PS5 PAL and PS5 NTSC version.
You have to click play on all the videos, wait a couple of seconds and then press the play button on bottom to start the videos in sync. Refresh the page to resync since if the "resync" button doesn't work (like in my case):

viewsync.net

In this case the PAL version is not only "slightly" faster, the NTSC in comparison is super slow and NOT on pair to what DuckStation is showing. I did another comparison between DuckStation PAL and DuckStation NTSC:

viewsync.net

To finish it I've did a 4 way comparison as well, from top left to bottom right you have PS5 NTSC, PS5 PAL, DuckStation NTSC, DuckStation PAL:

viewsync.net

As you can see, both PS5 Pal and DuckStation PAL finish at the same time, while the PS5 NTSC is much slower then DuckStation NTSC.

So yeah, something is wrong with the NTSC version of Syphon Filter 2, at least the one accessible in Europe.

Jeeze, don't tell me they've caused new and unexpected problems

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

viewsync.net

So yeah, something is wrong with the PS5 NTSC version of Syphon Filter 2, at least the one accessible in Europe.

Yeah, the NTSC versions are much slower than the PAL equivalents in any regards. Just watching the 4 way comparison is all enough to convince me that.

Aug 9, 2020
Yeah, the NTSC versions are much slower than the PAL equivalents in any regards. Just watching the 4 way comparison is all enough to convince me that.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Does VRR affect the playability of 50hz PAL versions on VRR-capable screens?

VRR is explicitly disabled when you're playing the games, but if you could enable it they would be outside the VRR range in the majority of cases anyway (eg. the minimum range is 48hz or 48 FPS, with PAL games mostly in the 25 FPS range).

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
SixelAlexiS regarding your testing, I agree something is definitely off with the NTSC version running within this European release. I can only compare to the PSX core on Mister FPGA but it is very sluggish compared with that.

The American / NTSC-only version is up for download now so hopefully it won't be long until people have given it a try. If it is OK then I wonder if they've made a mistake in their emulator configuration where it's inadvertently picking up some PAL-specific settings and applying them to the NTSC disc.

Interestingly the 20 FPS for NTSC and ~21 FPS for PAL seems to also be how Syphon Filter 1 worked.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
SixelAlexiS regarding your testing, I agree something is definitely off with the NTSC version running within this European release. I can only compare to the PSX core on Mister FPGA but it is very sluggish compared with that.

The American / NTSC-only version is up for download now so hopefully it won't be long until people have given it a try. If it is OK then I wonder if they've made a mistake in their emulator configuration where it's inadvertently picking up some PAL-specific settings and applying them to the NTSC disc.

Interestingly the 20 FPS for NTSC and ~21 FPS for PAL seems to also be how Syphon Filter 1 worked.
Yeah, but I doubt people will make the same exact test as I did, maybe someone on this topic can, I'll gladly give them instruction to repeat it in the same way.

Btw I think that that single frame of difference is in fact the cause on the original PAL version being faster since in this case one frame of difference means that the game is 5% faster than the original USA version and I think it checks out with my DuckStation comparisons.

Another doubt I have about PS5 version is how the PAL version on PS5 looks smooth especially since the 21FPS thing, since it should have those frame skips just like it happen on DuckStation considering you play on a 60Hz signal on PS5.

Last thing is still about fluidity, as I said the PS5 PAL version is very fluid considering it's 20FPS (21FPS in theory), but is it really the frame interpolation? Didn't Sony removed that on the PS1 classic games at some point?
My theory is that PS5 NTSC version of the game actually runs at a lower framerate for some reason (so under the 20FPS) and this is why it looks more choppy and is much slower than the original NTSC version.

By looking roughly at the walk times of my comparison, it looks like the PS5 NTSC version is roughly 18% slower then the original NTSC version, which would coincidentally checks out with how much slower PAL games usually were compared to the NTSC versions.
Maybe the PS5 NTSC version is converted back to a PAL format in some way? I really don't know...

I've send a very brief tweet to John Linneman about my discovery, hopefully he will gave a look at it since this need some framerate monitoring to better understand the situation.

p.s. I've tested the PS4 version as well and it has the same issues, NTSC version is super slow, PAL is fine but no DualShock support in both analog controls and vibration on both versions, what a disaster...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
p.s. I've tested the PS4 version as well and it has the same issues, NTSC version is super slow, PAL is fine but no DualShock support in both analog controls and vibration on both versions, what a disaster...
Feels like this entire thing is a monkey paw situation... I dont get why its such a seemingly hard thing for Sony to achieve... Its a real shame, with no legit way of playing these games on modern hardware, a solid emulation method + tons of releases would be the next best thing - but Sony seems unable to get the emulation correct, and the release schedule has been abysmal thus far.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why am I suddenly getting the feeling that they're somehow running the NTSC ISO in a PAL container and this feature wasn't supposed to go live yet?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Feels like this entire thing is a monkey paw situation... I dont get why its such a seemingly hard thing for Sony to achieve... Its a real shame, with no legit way of playing these games on modern hardware, a solid emulation method + tons of releases would be the next best thing - but Sony seems unable to get the emulation correct, and the release schedule has been abysmal thus far.
The most shitty thing is that on original hardware (PS1 and PS2) and on DuckStation, if you use a DualShock on a game that doesn't support it, the controller doesn't work at all so you have to disable it and go on "regular" controller mode (d-pad).

In this case the analog stick actually emulate the d-pad, so either the PS4/PS5 emulator emulate d-pad on left stick on games that doesn't support the DualShock natively or with SF2 they just said "fuck the dualshock, just emulate the dpad and call it a day".

I don't have experience with PS4/PS5 emulation of PS1 classics but this is such a sloppy and disrespectful job.

Why am I suddenly getting the feeling that they're somehow running the NTSC ISO in a PAL container and this feature wasn't supposed to go live yet?

Yep, that's what I've thought from my previous post, the speed % decrease of the NTSC version seems to check out to something like this but I'm not sure.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
NTSC version feels like the pal version of the original I played. Just switched to pal on this and it feels way faster. Is much nicer

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I'm a bit confused. I'm playing Syphon Filter 2 (US download of PS4 version, not PS5) on my PS5 and it doesn't seem slow to me?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm a bit confused. I'm playing Syphon Filter 2 (US download of PS4 version, not PS5) on my PS5 and it doesn't seem slow to me?
So you downloaded the game from the US PSN Store?
If so and you want to help, record a video similar to mine by going in this corner, rotate by looking at the flare camp and by using the d-pad start running forward and never stop until you get the cutscene and share the video, I'll do then a comparison.

Here a simple video showing the process:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPXQZvGj7E

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
So you downloaded the game from the US PSN Store?
If so and you want to help, record a video similar to mine by going in this corner, rotate by looking at the flare camp and by using the d-pad start running forward and never stop until you get the cutscene and share the video, I'll do then a comparison.

Here a simple video showing the process:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPXQZvGj7E

Here's a clip from US release NTSC-only version of the game for you. As far as I can tell this is running faster than the NTSC version within the European release.

youtu.be

Syphon Filter 2 - PS5 US NTSC Version Running Test

UP9000-PPSA06695_00-SCUS944510000000