• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 20, 2019
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q3_sonyspeech.pdf

unknown.png

Select Sony Entertainment M&A:
Awal - $430mm / February 2021 (Sony Music)
Crunchyroll - $1.2bn / December 2020 (Sony Pictures/Sony Music)
Pureflix Entertainment - Undisclosed / November 2020 (Sony Pictures)
Eleven Films - Undisclosed / June 2020 (Sony Pictures)
Whisper Films - Undisclosed / February 2020 (Sony Pictures)
Silvergate Media - $195mm / December 2019 (Sony Pictures)
Game Show Network - $380mm (+$130mm in dividends/earnouts) / November 2019 (Sony Pictures)
Insomniac Games - $229mm / November 2019 (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Manga Entertainment - Undisclosed / May 2019 (Sony Pictures/Sony Music)
EMI - $3.7bn / May 2018 (Sony Music)
Peanuts (Charlie Brown) - $178mm / May 2018 (Sony Music)
Funimation - $143mm / July 2017 (Sony Pictures)

modiz found this on the Sony report.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Sony owns the Peanuts franchise???????

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Eh. Playstation operates independently from the rest of Sony. Which is weird considering they have anime in a stranglehold

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Looking at that list of stuff Sony bought recently, they got some real good deals. Insomniac for $230 million. The Peanuts franchise for less than $200 million!

I expect that's what we'll see going forward -- Sony will buy studios if they can get them at a deal. No Bethesda-style purchases.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at that list of stuff Sony bought recently, they got some real good deals. Insomniac for $230 million. The Peanuts franchise for less than $200 million!

I expect that's what we'll see going forward -- Sony will buy studios if they can get them at a deal. No Bethesda-style purchases.

They don't need a Bethesda size purchase. They already have a huge stable of beloved franchises and solid studios. They have the mindshare and user base to look for value acquisitions.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Getting Funimation for <$150K 4 years ago sure looks like a good investment given the CrunchyRoll acquisition.

I do wonder if there's a game studio that Sony would be willing to spend +$1 billion on.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think its more likely they spent more on gaming acquisitions in the mobile space than the console space. If they're really serious about leveraging anime then they need to be putting more content over there. Theres no reason they can't even more big hits like FGO and Twisted Wonderland but they're gonna have to spend some more to get there. You're already starting to see some of that with some of their recent moves.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
In short, Sony is planning to be more agressive in terms of entertainment investments than they were in the past 3 years.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
For a small-medium size company, Sony are doing okay for M&A and its reflected on its market cap of 138B. It will never be big enough to compete with Alphabet, Microsoft, or Amazon. Game fans will soon see what's going on.

Announce Bluepoint already

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
lol most of their investments was in other divisions
and people think Sony will make more acquisitions for the game division
the list just prove they will continue to investment more in other divisions

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Sony absolutely needs a publisher to remain relevant in the gaming space or MS will buy them for their Gamepass service, locking out major franchises off their console.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
They mean for Sony Pictures and Music 😂

I mean yeah?

If they're going to spend more on anime and want to spend more on anime games mobile makes more sense than console. At this point... they really can't compete with Nintendo on the console front in Japan so why not spend more in an area where they are currently doing quite well?

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
They seem more focused on purchases for their other divisions than with Playstation.

I see them getting Bluepoint then calling it a day.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It speaks volumes that Sony are building up their Music division with diverse acquisitions but seem like they are letting their Pictures division die on the vine.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Getting Funimation for <$150K 4 years ago sure looks like a good investment given the CrunchyRoll acquisition.

I do wonder if there's a game studio that Sony would be willing to spend +$1 billion on.
Funimation is surely a great buy

As for Crunchyroll I think the price is right especially they have 4 Million paid subscribers

And them acquiring crunchyroll eliminates alot of potential bid wars for shows which caused the bubble burst previously

Netflix is going with a different route on producing shows rather fighting other licensors

Amazon was DoA and Disney nor Apple doesn't seem to be interested at the moment

Sentai/Hidive is too small to fight Funi/Crunchy by Sony but they do have a backing by CoolJapan which is funded by the Japanese Government so they will still get some titles by default

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
They really did get a good score with Insomniac, lot of bang for their buck there. I don't see Sony ponying up for any kind of big Bethesda type purchase, but with MS threatening another big ass pick, their hand might get forced to take a big risk. But I'm not sure who they could get that would be such a net-positive for Sony as Insomniac was.

Yeah Bluepoint seems obvious, but that's small potatoes by comparison.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok Sony, pick up ViacomCBS, Square Enix, Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arrowhead, Kadokawa, KojiPro and work out an arrangement for WB Games with an extended license to use their IP and we good 😄

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah?

If they're going to spend more on anime and want to spend more on anime games mobile makes more sense than console. At this point... they really can't compete with Nintendo on the console front in Japan so why not spend more in an area where they are currently doing quite well?

Sony is more then just Japan. Also I never said it was a bad thing, just poking fun at the recent Sony Pictures and Sony Music purchases streaks beyond just anime. I mean two days ago they bought a record company for Sony Music.

If they do toss some cash to SIE for acquisition, etc... then it wouldn't be because they want to "reclaim" Japan neither do they have to for SIE's continued future growth.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
They really did get a good score with Insomniac, lot of bang for their buck there. I don't see Sony ponying up for any kind of big Bethesda type purchase, but with MS threatening another big ass pick, their hand might get forced to take a big risk. But I'm not sure who they could get that would be such a net-positive for Sony as Insomniac was.

Yeah Bluepoint seems obvious, but that's small potatoes by comparison.
They are not idiots and that's why they are the leaders of this industry.

Playstation is the most important business for Sony in terms of revenue.

Of course they will not let MS consolidate the industry and they have cash for that.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
User Warned - Inappropriate Abbreviation
I misread the title and was thinking midtier devs. Was hoping they were about to pick up a few AA JPN devs. 😔

Last edited by a moderator:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna continue to say that I hate the era of studio acquisition wars, no matter who is making the acquisition.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Why did the Music section of Sony bought a stake in Peanuts? Does the Peanuts license got anything to do with music?

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Remind me: why are people championing studio acquisitions? Why would anyone want that?

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remind me: why are people championing studio acquisitions? Why would anyone want that?

Sony tend to buy studios that work with them almost exclusively so then buying studios doesn't tend to take games or IP off of other systems.
Ninja Theory, Bethesda, Double Fine etc does the opposite of that. Microsoft buying Playground Games made a lot of sense.

Whether Sony is looking outside of their partners for acquisitions is up for debate.

For some, a studio like BluePoint or Housemarque getting a full on PlayStation Studios budget, access to their facilities and the opportunity for growth is exciting. I personally prefer Sony's (up to this moment) organic way of doing things, but I understand why others feel differently.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Because Sony Music of Japan had been licensing Peanuts for a decade for consumer products.

Sony is unnecessarily complicated

Yes, everyone else has stream lined and Sony is still a weird hodge podge of different assets that don't quite fit together. Also they obviously don't see a long term future in their Pictures division so all their investment has been in the super profitable music division which requires less capital to operate.

Yes, I know I have been saying this for literally years (all the way back to GAF if you can believe it) but that's because I was ahead of the ball on all this consolidation stuff. Or something.