• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
via Wario 64

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1109211277975416832

"GameStop stores just got a memo saying that Sony will no longer provide full game digital download codes to retailers (not just GameStop) starting April 1st. Digital games will only be available straight from PSN after that date. Add-on content/PSN $ cards will still be available"
"Here is the full text outlining these changes (Sony full game digital codes at retail)"
D2S1whsUcAAGuzv.jpg:large

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Fewer ways for brick and mortars to bridge the gap between physical and digital customers. That's rough.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they feel that digital store adoption is high enough that it's worth it to cut out retailers.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I never saw the point of these as they were almost always 100% full price.

I guess gifts or something? Can you gift games on PSN now?

Still, the removal of choice is never a good thing.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't steam just come out and say that 90% of the ways customers pay is through digital code cards? Such an anti-consumer thing for sony to do.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly, the decision was made due to announcing on the 25th as part of the State of Play, they'll finally add gifting to PSN.

Should be stated that add-on content & PSN currency cards will still be sold.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
These always seemed pointless to me. They were always full price even for stuff on sale, there wasn't ever any reason to buy these over PSN cards

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wonder if this affects Green Man Gaming? I got some good deals from them before.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Such a bad move. I hope this doesn't include amazon. Probably does. Yeah arrogant sony is making a comeback.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were pointless anyways mostly because they were never on sale while PSN has constant sales.
You have better luck getting discounted PSN cards than actual discounted store bought digital games.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
At least at the moment it's only full game digital codes. Though Sony should really give us the option to gift games now as some sort of tiny compensation.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Doesn't really effect me, but still a bit lame. Also want to point out people people said Sony wasn't responsible for us losing BBGCU and Amazon 20% discount even though they(and Rockstar) were exclusively not letting their games be preordered and magically went up once the 20% dissapeared. Sony does nothing but benefit from killing off retailers, particurally Gamestop since they have their own storefront to push.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I personally never really saw the use for this, but I guess taking away a way of buying a game is obnoxious for those who did do it

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
These always seemed pointless to me. They were always full price even for stuff on sale, there wasn't ever any reason to buy these over PSN cards

You could buy the game outright for store credit.

You could buy someone else a digital copy of the game.

PSN cards don't even come in the 60 dollar denomination, let alone a demomnination that might include a digital sales tax.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Makes sense. I have no idea why you'd go to a brick and mortar store to purchase a digital game anyway (vs. a physical game) unless you had trade-ins. I used to just trade in my stuff for PSN cards anyway.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this as a big deal unless you are buying it to give to someone. In that case just give them the currency to buy it themselves on the console until Sony adds a way to do gifts.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
Always see them at the store but the only one that looked like it sold was the yearly CoD one the other ones would just stay there till they got replaced with new ones for newer games.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like taking choice away from people.

That being said it's not like they took digital cards away. Just per game cards. You can still buy PSN bux.

Feels like a good move in that Sony isn't wasting space on specific game cards. Rather they can just sell the digital currency at physical stores instead.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
These were a great option to have imo.
Especially if you had gift cards for the specific retailers, or store credit, or just general store promotions.

Really sucks that they're taking them away.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
PSN is easily the worst of all platforms (eg. eShop, Steam, Uplay, Origin, etc) I've used for buying games, and this just makes it even worse.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So they are cutting out the middle man with this (Amazon, Gamestop, etc.) . You buy from PSN through payment method or get the physical if it exists.

Those PSN cards will likely skyrocket up the rankings.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That makes sense. It's too much of a hassle to print individual game codes for every single game when the PSN $ codes do the exact same job.

OP
OP
AR Starts

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Epic Games Store is coming to PS4 in April.

Not a great move by Sony. These digital codes would often show up cheaper via online retailers.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
So much for (already limited) price competition. As these closed-platforms inch closer to making their online stores the only way to purchase games, it'll only get worse for customers.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I have no idea why you'd go to a brick and mortar store to purchase a digital game anyway (vs. a physical game) unless you had trade-ins. I used to just trade in my stuff for PSN cards anyway.

What about places like Green Man Gaming who actually had deals on these codes? They are most likely done now too.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is some epic store levels of shit, locking out retailers and legitimate key sellers from your store is scummy as hell. Especially because that store will eventually be the only place to buy PlayStation games

darkside

Oct 26, 2017