• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You think MSFT and Google would develop a streaming platform without adequate market research or anticipated market penetration in their overall projections?

They understand the current and future potential better than anyone here on ERA. Not sure where you're pulling these expectations from (not Google or MSFT) certainly.

I'm sorry but this is a dumb argument. So..no forum users should analyse and criticise EA's decisions because they have vastly superior data and know best? Also, Microsoft knows better than anyone here regarding Kinect which is why it is such a massive success /s.

What exactly does an attempt at a social media platform have to do with Cloud and streaming tech though?

Are you suggesting that streamable gaming content (not unlike video and music today) will remain out of reach and lack penetration in future markets?

Not following your logic on this one.

There are multiple key differences between games as a medium, versus music and video. One, latency affects gaming. Two, game streaming fundamentally makes less economic sense than music/video. Unlike a movie, downloading a game will always cost less bandwidth than streaming it for 20-30hrs. You are basically investing loads of money in the server's computational power in the hopes that the market appreciates the added power...which leads to my next point.

I don't think there's any pent-up demand for AAA game among the general populace. Do the billions of mobile-only gamers give a shit about halo? I doubt so. Jacking up the graphics (and maybe complexity?) of mobile games might not be a solution to anyone's problem. I haven't seen any evidence at the very least. So maybe the intended audience is for core gamers (basically what PS Now is targetting). If so, the audience should remain niche until the internet infrastructure catches up for the rest of the world.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
I'm sorry but this is a dumb argument. So..no forum users should analyse and criticise EA's decisions because they have vastly superior data and know best? Also, Microsoft knows better than anyone here regarding Kinect ...

You and other posters are free to "analyze and criticize" any decision you like. I'm just commenting that random ERA poster's opinion has literally no weight or value on those decisions being made by companies that invest billions into infrastructure (like Google and MSFT) to scale out cloud tech globally.

IOW, random ERA poster has zero insight into the how, what and why these business are engaging in development and claiming they (random poster) understands the market and viability of the tech (more so than a Google or MS) is so asinine it's not even worth responding to.

But yes, you're free to share any opinion you wish. I'm certainly not stopping you, haha.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You and other posters are free to "analyze and criticize" any decision you like. I'm just commenting that random ERA poster's opinion has literally no weight or value on those decisions being made by companies that invest billions into infrastructure (like Google and MSFT) to scale out cloud tech globally.

IOW, random ERA poster has zero insight into the how, what and why these business are engaging in development and claiming they (random poster) understands the market and viability of the tech (more so than a Google or MS) is so asinine it's not even worth responding to.

But yes, you're free to share any opinion you wish. I'm certainly not stopping you, haha.

The user you quoted didn't claim to know better than MS/Google.

'Those players may not actually be out there.' I'm not seeing any problem with this statement.