• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Phoronix: A Sony programmer has been working on AMD Ryzen LLVM Compiler improvements

One of Sony's compiler experts has taken to working on some tuning for the AMD Ryzen "znver1" microarchitecture support within the LLVM compiler stack. This begs the question why Sony is working on Ryzen improvements if not for a future product.

This may be a clue that implies the next PlayStation is going to utilize a Zen-based CPU, although to my knowledge there isn't anything else more recent and as advanced as Zen that they could use unless AMD reveal another microarchitecture a low-power architecture, or the consoles move away from x86 CPUs.

I've seen numerous people expressing their desire for a PlayStation 5, with anticipations of a 2019 launch. My question is, what's the hurry? And why would you prefer to see it launched sooner such as in 2019, or later (2020+)

The Console Gaming landscape has changed substantially, upgradable consoles of the past aside (Mega Drive, N64), no longer do we have to ride out one system configuration for the entire generation as Sony and Microsoft have introduced higher-end models such as the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X. One of the complaints of the last generation was how long it went on for in comparison to previous console generations, as well as the fact that the machines were old as dust and that technology had greatly advanced since the introduction of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The eighth home console generation lasted 8 years, from the introduction of the Xbox 360 in 2005 to the introduction of the Xbox One in 2013.

In this generation we have the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X for those who desire consoles built with faster GPUs and slightly improved CPUs, as well as more ram. Sure, they're shackled by the limitations of the base machines but the situation isn't exactly as dire as the previous generation as there is the option for console users to get a more powerful console should they desire one. But it's not quite the same as having a new generation as games are not built with the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X as if they were the base hardware of a new console generation.

With the push for live service games, and big budget games featuring higher development costs, and longer development times than ever before, we could be off to a slower start with next generation exclusives.
It could also mean that we see a wealth of cross generation AAA titles for a longer period of time into the ninth generation compared to the eighth generation, especially if eighth generation console owners continue to have a significant impact on the market, by purchasing games and subscribing to subscription services.
Subscription services such as Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus are significant revenue drivers, I'm not really sure about this but potentially alienating users by prioritizing next generation exclusive games over cross generation games could be a negative.

I would prefer that Sony and Microsoft ride out this console generation for a longer period of time if it means that we get consoles which are more powerful should they launch later rather than sooner and that developers get more time to work on games for the next generation consoles, whether they're exclusives or cross generation games.

I anticipate a 2020-2021 launch, with the hope that they may be able to take advantage of the further technological advancements made for PC and Console hardware.
Providing the next generation consoles stick with x86 hardware, it could potentially ease the challenge of transitioning to another generation for developers.

I would have posted this in the speculation thread but I think this could be something substantial to make a thread about and bring to the attention of people, I also wanted to the ask the question of whether people wanted to see a next generation console launched sooner than the eighth generation consoles did.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They can launch it whenever they want, but I hope (and expect) it to be a PS4 Pro V2 rather than a PS5.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was to be expected... I'd rather see a PS5 in 2020 at the earliest. The best shot for a big upgrade vs regular PS4, and from what I understand, there's no easy way to do a midgen upgrade like they did with the Pro, so...

They can launch it whenever they want, but I hope (and expect) it to be a PS4 Pro V2 rather than a PS5.
Why would they do that, though?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The only thing I need is for PS5 to absorb my PS4 investment.

Sony cannot fuck that up under any circumstance

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hoping for one in 2021-2022.

The performance improvements are still not enough. RAM prices are messed up, new wifi standard is not ready, wireless charging feature is questionable. If they release one within 19-20, I'm not even sure it's going to have GTX 1080 Ti level of power. When sold in a <400 package with everything else, I imagine the performance gains would hardly be noticeable.

I think they should release a PS4 Pro V2; smaller system, less noise and heat, and other improvements. More durable controller, more durable headset. These things would add a lot of value I think. Perhaps a higher clocked CPU/GPU with identical architecture that could help with better frames and some more ram.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be such a downer of a way to start a generation.

It'll be PS5 and hopefully be backwards compatible.

At this point we're just playing with semantics. A "PS5 with full BC" is the same exact thing as "PS4 Pro V2". Either way, developers can choose which minimum hardware spec they support.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point we're just playing with semantics. A "PS5 with full BC" is the same exact thing as "PS4 Pro V2". Either way, developers can choose which minimum hardware spec they support.

Except the PS5 will play games at some point the PS4 can't, which a PS4 Pro V2 wouldn't do, that's the key difference.

I'm hoping for BC too but both the PS2 and PS3 (60GB launch version anyway) had BC and they were still full fledged next gen machines.

I get what you're saying and all I just hope we don't get a machine that feels like a PS4 Pro V2.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2020 seeing how they broke sales record in April for ps4 sales .and of course Sony is working on ryzen .improvement doesnt happen over night .they need to be prepared

SuperSplit

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Hoping new consoles hit in 2019, as long as backwards compatible is taken into consideration sooner is always better than later

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It needs to feel like a proper evolution.

1. BC across all games.
2. Keep exclusives coming.
3. Keep PS Plus great games bonus coming.
4. Improved controller with more buttons on the back.
5. Beastly Specs.

100M sales locked.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
PS5 can play all PS4 games and that fine.

But exclusive PS5 games will be playable only on PS5 and that defines a new generation.

There is no semantics things here.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
"pro2" capable of running PS4 30FPS titles at 60 would be a good thing, and Zen CPU would easily be capable of that.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Except the PS5 will play games at some point the PS4 can't, which a PS4 Pro V2 wouldn't do, that's the key difference.

I'm hoping for BC too but both the PS2 and PS3 (60GB launch version anyway) had BC and they were still full fledged next gen machines.

I get what you're saying and all I just hope we don't get a machine that feels like a PS4 Pro V2.
Who is going to make those games that aren't on PS4? Third parties aren't going to be ready to abandon PS4 until a PS5 has a sizable install base, and Sony still have quite a few years of commitment to PS4 left.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Who is going to make those games that aren't on PS4? Third parties aren't going to be ready to abandon PS4 until a PS5 has a sizable install base, and Sony still have quite a few years of commitment to PS4 left.
All first party exclusives will only play on PS5.

C'mon that is not even a question.

And multiplatforms will drop PS4/Pro support in 2-3 years into the generation.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
What benefit to Sony is there in not doing 720p 30fps versions of those games for of PS4?
What benefices they will have doing cross-gen games?

A new generation starts they drop the last one because you need to sell their new hardware.

After GT6 launch PS3 didn't receive more games from Sony (well they received The Show for two years but that a sport game).

BTW beneficies to have exclusive games:
+ Sell hardware
+ Smaller team focused in a single platform
+ Lower dev costs and time
+ Showcase of new techs
+ No old tech limiting development

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It cannot be anything other than Zen, AMD is all-in on it.

As for the timing, 2019 is unlikely.
What benefit to Sony is there in not doing 720p 30fps versions of those games for of PS4?

Downporting the game on much weaker CPU is not possible for all games. Some games rely on high number of characters, objects, gameworld size... The only example of this kind of aggressive downporting when two versions of the game were drastically different happened with Shadow of Mordor. Gen7 versions were severely gimped.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My main hope for next gen is improving the PS4 controller
- not have a cheap af controller in the first year of release, breaking down like trash
- keep the trackpad!! It has a lot of potential. It needs to be as sensitive as my macbook trackpad in terms of movement and button pressing. Should be able to easily use as a navigation tool on the OS. Include weight of press for interaction.
- improve rumble feature when pressing R1, R2, L1, L2
- improve battery life for 2 extra hours
- improve motion when you move the controller

Also, they better offer BC for PS4 games.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Whenever they can hit 2xXbox One X performance, think it's gonna be fall 2019.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
By 'pro v2' I think LewieP means it'll be fully backward compatible and playing ps4 games at higher res, frames than a 'ps5' starting from 0. Ofcourse the console will be named ps5 and have specs to show but I think that's what the poster means.

2020 is when I expect ps5 to launch. Perfect timing as well. Start of a new decade with a new console also 25th year of PlayStation (as per global release date of ps1).

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen already proved a amazing cpu. Can't see other best choise here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just make it a true next gen system with none of the baggage of the previous generation attached to it.

And include BC otherwise MS will rip you apart at e3.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Hoping for one in 2021-2022.

The performance improvements are still not enough. RAM prices are messed up, new wifi standard is not ready, wireless charging feature is questionable. If they release one within 19-20, I'm not even sure it's going to have GTX 1080 Ti level of power. When sold in a <400 package with everything else, I imagine the performance gains would hardly be noticeable.

I think they should release a PS4 Pro V2; smaller system, less noise and heat, and other improvements. More durable controller, more durable headset. These things would add a lot of value I think. Perhaps a higher clocked CPU/GPU with identical architecture that could help with better frames and some more ram.
The CPU upgrade would be huge, especially given games wouldn't have to support standard ps4 anymore. Cpu is where the problems lie.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
If visuals keep improving at the usual rate Ps4 would have to drop resolution in order to be able to somewhat keep up.
It can run Ps4 games at 1080p, it won't be able to run Ps5 games at 1080p.

So all of 2020 without first party exclusives?
Days Gone, Ghost Of Tsushima and Dreams in 2019.
The Last Of Us 2 and Death Stranding in 2020.
Ps5 in late 2020.