• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Personally from my own perspective, the biggest issue I think Sony have failed to do this generation is backwards compatibility. PSV has both PS1 and PSP support. I don't even see why especially with the rise of digital purchases that they would not have better support. PS console being able to play PS1,PS2, PSP and PSV games would be incredible. I've bought plenty of games for the PSV and it would have been good to have it transfer to the other systems and would have bought much more as well for the PS4.

Studio closures is a disappointment as they're some of my favourite games but it's something I'm not even sure why consumers should be concerned about as long as their exclusive lineup remains strong and these closures don't happen for no reason either. Take Evolution Studios for instance. They went through Motorstorm Apocalypse, Motorstorm RC and then Driveclub. It's actually even a surprise they even survived as long as they did after Apocalypse bombed and DC did burn huge amount of goodwill for consumers for not only going through a long delay but having lack of content at launch, poorly reviewed, PS+ controversy, having online disaster. I love playing Driveclub but given the situation of some of these studios, bring up studio closure seems like having the opposite effect of the intentions of the topic as there's actually good reason for shutting these studios down.

I find it kind of hilarious bringing up inventive smaller games because they still exist just as much this generation than the previous. The reason why you don't even hear about them is because they're small and they under perform. Just like Tokyo Jungle which not many people even know about either. It also ties in with the next point which is VR as well.
That is probably the worst point in OP especially after describing smaller inventive titles just two points before as that's also where there's been plenty of incredibly inventive titles which can't be found on any other console platform. For one, they're the only major console manufacturer that has even released a VR product which means they're far ahead of competition, making a lower entry priced VR means higher audience able to even afford the device. Making VR device far more expensive while also strictly relegating it to PSPro is a quick way to kill the VR system entirely and is literally corporates sleeping on a wheel not conscious of consumers.

I can kind of agree/disagree with PS+. I used to use PS+ strictly for the PSV as I found the lineup and games each month well worth the price. I stopped around the start of PS4 launch as I didn't find the games worthwhile. The worth of the service is entirely depend on the quality of games. The only way to improve PS+ would be to include more games each month that's newer as well.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
It made me sad too because Driveclub is the only racing game that stuck with me.

People say Sony has a diverse 1st party lineup but I dont see it.

Indeed. I don't have any insight into Sony's business dealings, but I feel Sony made a bluder closing evolution down. There was a great deal of mindshare involved with the studio, and despite the terrible Driveclub launch, it all came good in time and a lot of goodwill came off it. Goodwill that now has no value. Driveclub 2 would have been a smash hit.

There seems to be a sizeable gap in Sony's portfolio due to this.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Personally from my own perspective, the biggest issue I think Sony have failed to do this generation is backwards compatibility. PSV has both PS1 and PSP support. I don't even see why especially with the rise of digital purchases that they would not have better support. PS console being able to play PS1,PS2, PSP and PSV games would be incredible. I've bought plenty of games for the PSV and it would have been good to have it transfer to the other systems and would have bought much more as well for the PS4.

Studio closures is a disappointment as they're some of my favourite games but it's something I'm not even sure why consumers should be concerned about as long as their exclusive lineup remains strong and these closures don't happen for no reason either. Take Evolution Studios for instance. They went through Motorstorm Apocalypse, Motorstorm RC and then Driveclub. It's actually even a surprise they even survived as long as they did after Apocalypse bombed and DC did burn huge amount of goodwill for consumers for not only going through a long delay but having lack of content at launch, poorly reviewed, PS+ controversy, having online disaster. I love playing Driveclub but given the situation of some of these studios, bring up studio closure seems like having the opposite effect of the intentions of the topic as there's actually good reason for shutting these studios down.

I find it kind of hilarious bringing up inventive smaller games because they still exist just as much this generation than the previous. The reason why you don't even hear about them is because they're small and they under perform. Just like Tokyo Jungle which not many people even know about either. It also ties in with the next point which is VR as well.
That is probably the worst point in OP especially after describing smaller inventive titles just two points before as that's also where there's been plenty of incredibly inventive titles which can't be found on any other console platform. For one, they're the only major console manufacturer that has even released a VR product which means they're far ahead of competition, making a lower entry priced VR means higher audience able to even afford the device. Making VR device far more expensive while also strictly relegating it to PSPro is a quick way to kill the VR system entirely and is literally corporates sleeping on a wheel not conscious of consumers.

I can kind of agree/disagree with PS+. I used to use PS+ strictly for the PSV as I found the lineup and games each month well worth the price. I stopped around the start of PS4 launch as I didn't find the games worthwhile. The worth of the service is entirely depend on the quality of games. The only way to improve PS+ would be to include more games each month that's newer as well.

PSVR is not in any way relegated to Pro, they have the exact same performance profiles and requirement. The only thing is that the pro can have a higher peripheral resolution or even oversampling.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Indeed. I don't have any insight into Sony's business dealings, but I feel Sony made a bluder closing evolution down. There was a great deal of mindshare involved with the studio, and despite the terrible Driveclub launch, it all came good in time and a lot of goodwill came off it. Goodwill that now has no value. Driveclub 2 would have been a smash hit.

There seems to be a sizeable gap in Sony's portfolio due to this.

Two things:

Evolution were bleeding red on their balance sheets for about 3 years. The bad launch of DC was the end of a long road of tolerance within Sony for talent over profit.

The arcade racing genre isn't anywhere near as big as it was. Look at the sales of things like NFS - the audience size just isn't there anymore.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a DC2, or another (proper) Burnout or NFS - but I don't think missing a studio dedicated to a shrinking genre is a massive hole in Sony's studio lineup

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
The reality is that sony have been incredibly poor this gen, it's just that they've had no competition

Next gen is looking far more interesting for nlme with a resurgent microsoft and nintendo on the ball

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony has been incredibly poor this generation. lol this thread just gets better and better.

I know right? I mean if Sony have been incredibly poor this gen (with good exclusives released/releasing left and right) and selling gangbusters, you have to wonder how would he asses MS this gen then? Really crazy reasons some peps comes up with.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
Two things:

Evolution were bleeding red on their balance sheets for about 3 years. The bad launch of DC was the end of a long road of tolerance within Sony for talent over profit.

The arcade racing genre isn't anywhere near as big as it was. Look at the sales of things like NFS - the audience size just isn't there anymore.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a DC2, or another (proper) Burnout or NFS - but I don't think missing a studio dedicated to a shrinking genre is a massive hole in Sony's studio lineup

Perhaps they should have remastered the Motorstorm trilogy and used that to generate some revenue during their pillar title development. I mean, a 60fps, improved iq triple pack Motorstorm? Who wouldn't bite.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Perhaps they should have remastered the Motorstorm trilogy and used that to generate some revenue during their pillar title development. I mean, a 60fps, improved iq triple pack Motorstorm? Who wouldn't bite.
A lot of people actually...The genre is not that big period.

And 3 years is crazy long to allow talent to overcome. I mean, can that be verified? That's pretty generous if accurate. Unfortunately Sony isn't Apple and you need to eventually make a profit.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
A lot of people actually...The genre is not that big period.

And 3 years is crazy long to allow talent to overcome. I mean, can that be verified? That's pretty generous if accurate. Unfortunately Sony isn't Apple and you need to eventually make a profit.

In this case I don't understand how Microsoft can make racers one of their pillar franchises year on year? Is it truly not selling and only in the spotlight due to a lack of other titles?

Regarding losses, I always found Sony synonymous with risk and creating loss leaders to gain mindshare and generate a halo effect for the brand. Lack of this is what's caused Microsoft to be in such a strife.

Sony closing Evolution, dropping Ryme and Edith Finch, together with their anti consumer account locks is a troubling sign for the road ahead however.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
In this case I don't understand how Microsoft can make racers one of their pillar franchises year on year? Is it truly not selling and only in the spotlight due to a lack of other titles?

Regarding losses, I always found Sony synonymous with risk and creating loss leaders to gain mindshare and generate a halo effect for the brand. Lack of this is what's caused Microsoft to be in such a strife.

Sony closing Evolution, dropping Ryme and Edith Finch, together with their anti consumer account locks is a troubling sign for the road ahead however.

FH is an established franchise on Xbox and performs well critically and commercially. Playground are also being tasked with creating a non-driving open world game so we'll see how long MS' largesse lasts if it runs into development issues.

If you look where Sony is putting its 'indie' dev money/loss leader stuff it's going to PSVR. I don't think their policy of creating niche games has gone away, just changed in focus.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
The lack of diversity was so clear at this E3. I would like to have more variety of games to play on PS4.

I will add another complain, that many of you don't know and probably don't care but I'm from Mexico and the PlayStation Store is payed with dollars. That's expensive as ... you can't imagine. Each day the dollar varies and the bank takes the highest value of it. I have a Vita and I just can't buy games for it because I don't want to pay the excesive prices. Xbox Marketplace and Nintendo eShop are payed with pesos (my national currency) and sometimes devs adjust their prices like Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and Paladins on Nintendo Switch so they are way more accesible.

I just... Don't like the attitude of Sony regarding the videogame market. PlayStation 4 was the first console I bought with my money and it's the only one unplugged in my closet because I'm tired of the same third person action cinematic game with realistic graphics and heavy narrative.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The lack of diversity was so clear at this E3. I would like to have more variety of games to play on PS4.

I just... Don't like the attitude of Sony regarding the videogame market. PlayStation 4 was the first console I bought with my money and it's the only one unplugged in my closet because I'm tired of the same third person action cinematic game with realistic graphics and heavy narrative.

I guess you like non-third person games with crappy graphics then and no story at all? because it's obvious seeing you in previous threads you
simply don't like Sony games in general

About TLOU2 kissing scene, here's what you said...

"I thing that beign so open minded it's just a way for then to be polemic and bring attention to their game. They could be way more respectful about this topics but never mind.

Ghost was... Weird. The problem here is that every game now is a full cinematic, heavy narrative, third person view with realistic graphics game. Although they aren't the same, they all look similar. Wish they showed they can do something different. Not everything has to be so serious and ""hardcore"".

Also, I love music but... The E3 showcase is not the place. I mean, one song is OK but three was just too much.

"Microsoft was about the games. And we had developers on stage talking about what are they doing and that was great."

I think it's odd you like developers just talking about their "future" games and not games you will be able to play this this year and next year....ok now that is weird

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017

I see your comment and i look at games developed and published by Sony since the launch of the PS4 and go what? lol...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games#PlayStation_4

Yup... all the same shit... Spider-Man, Days Gone, The last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima... all the same shit lmao... Sure they all have different types of game-play, i hope they have shit narratives too. Man what realistic hyper stylized graphics all these games have.

II think it's odd you like developers just talking about their "future" games and not games you will be able to play this this year and next year....ok now that is weird

Some people like being sold hopes and dreams, that's basically how lots of people are operating and have been. Just wait until E3 every single year, its gotta be a meme by now. While Sony delivers year in and out for over 3 years now and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with PS webstore? Besides being slightly slower to login, it does everything I want perfectly. Heck I don't even remember the last time I used the store on PS4 itself.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
I guess you like non-third person games with crappy graphics then and no story at all? because it's obvious seeing you in previous threads you
simply don't like Sony games in general

About TLOU2 kissing scene, here's what you said...

"I thing that beign so open minded it's just a way for then to be polemic and bring attention to their game. They could be way more respectful about this topics but never mind.

Ghost was... Weird. The problem here is that every game now is a full cinematic, heavy narrative, third person view with realistic graphics game. Although they aren't the same, they all look similar. Wish they showed they can do something different. Not everything has to be so serious and ""hardcore"".

Also, I love music but... The E3 showcase is not the place. I mean, one song is OK but three was just too much.

"Microsoft was about the games. And we had developers on stage talking about what are they doing and that was great."

I think it's odd you like developers just talking about their "future" games and not games you will be able to play this this year and next year....ok now that is weird

If you are SO into my posts, then you must now I like niche games and not the games announced five years ealier, you know. Because if we're talking about announcing early... that Spider Man game, The Last of Us and Death Stranding have some stories to share about multiple E3.

You know? This is the problem about PlayStation. The users defend them without even noticing what they do. I liked Legend of Dragoon, Jak and Daxter, Unfinished Swan, Gravity Rush, Journey, Freedom Wars... But that's fine. At least I can criticize Nintendo, even as a fan.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
If you are SO into my posts, then you must now I like niche games and not the games announced five years ealier, you know. Because if we're talking about announcing early... that Spider Man game, The Last of Us and Death Stranding have some stories to share about multiple E3.

You know? This is the problem about PlayStation. The users defend them without even noticing what they do. I liked Legend of Dragoon, Jak and Daxter, Unfinished Swan, Gravity Rush, Journey, Freedom Wars... But that's fine. At least I can criticize Nintendo, even as a fan.

Your taste in games... i pretty own and like all the games you like beside unfinished swan... I also own Gravity Rush 2, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2, soul sacrifice, Digimon CS and TNO, Danganronpa, Dragon Quest Heros 1 &2, Yakuza series etc. Like you can't expect SuckerPunch, Sony Bend, Naughty Dog, SSM, or Kojima to all be making niche games. They are huge studios and have to be responsible for their employees who have been working on their own games for the past 5 years on new IP/reboots. Sony Japan recently just pushed out Gravity Rush 2 and Everybody's Golf and are working on unannounced projects, your statement about lack of diversity just isn't true and games take longer to make too, Sony is no exception to this rule. Sony lacking diversity is just untrue, there are lots of diversity that is also provided by 3rd party developers, my own library of Japanese games is proof of this, but i don't expect Sony to provide every single game. I mean they still have Concrete Genie and Dreams coming along with their big titles... Plus there is still PSX.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
The reality is that sony have been incredibly poor this gen, it's just that they've had no competition

Next gen is looking far more interesting for nlme with a resurgent microsoft and nintendo on the ball
Please. Please explain your personal reasoning behind this statement besides what was said in the OP because there has been many rebuttals in this very same thread already that I don't believe you've read at all.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017

The reality is that Sony is knocking it out of the park this gen with some of the best games ever created. Can't wait for 2020, when next gen starts, to see what Sony's first party studios can do with even more powerful hardware.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Please. Please explain your personal reasoning behind this statement besides what was said in the OP because there has been many rebuttals in this very same thread already that I don't believe you've read at all.

Certainly. Although i would please request that ps4 owners don't take my comments personally as they have done in every other thread i've made them.

It's a given that both Nintendo and Microsoft shit the bed this gen. However Nintendo are doing very well with the switch. Microsoft are aggresively pursuing first party and japanese content, have a better controller, better online, a more powerful system, an excellent bc solution, gamepass, crossplay etc. I expect both to be much stronger going into the future.

I feel that Sony have coasted by on ports and remakes this gen ( sotc, gravity rush, god of war, journey etc). I also dont view the vast majority of sonys new first party games (knack, until dawn, driveclub, the order, killzone etc) as the masterpieces that many on this board do. This is in line with critical consensus and other messageboards i visit.

Sony cant coast by on ports/remakes next gen if they have some sort of backward. compatibility. They've dedicated a fair bit of resources to their unsuccessful vr headset. They've shuttered quite a few studios.

So yeah, i dont think things are going to be as easy for them next gen.

Feb 26, 2018
Certainly. Although i would please request that ps4 owners don't take my comments personally as they have done in every other thread i've made them.

It's a given that both Nintendo and Microsoft shit the bed this gen. However Nintendo are doing very well with the switch. Microsoft are aggresively pursuing first party and japanese content, have a better controller, better online, a more powerful system, an excellent bc solution, gamepass, crossplay etc. I expect both to be much stronger going into the future.

I feel that Sony have coasted by on ports and remakes this gen ( sotc, gravity rush, god of war, journey etc). I also dont view the vast majority of sonys new first party games (knack, until dawn, driveclub, the order, killzone etc) as the masterpieces that many on this board do. This is in line with critical consensus and other messageboards i visit.

Sony cant coast by on ports/remakes next gen if they have some sort of backward. compatibility. They've dedicated a fair bit of resources to their unsuccessful vr headset. They've shuttered quite a few studios.

dodgeThisMatrix_00.jpg

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I believe I said it in the old place, but again, the Xbox One is a superior system to use. It's better at everything but the games. Sony has never been particularly good on the Software/UI side of the console. And PSN is still a mess and more than archaic on the back end.
This is so untrue. Not to mention the main reason to own a game console is... Games?

And the op.. Just to pick one... Why should be cloud storage free? I mean, i like free stuff, but what logic dictates that storage should be free and f2p has to be behind a paywall for example?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

The ports/remakes can be seen as fan services, and some are quit good and well respected (sotc for example). BC with last gen is overrated and a narrative created by Era.
Sony has one of the highest valued games of this gen and if they continue on that with the PS5 with bc with ps4, acceptable price and power… it's a win out of the gate for them.

Don't forget, and most people on era do, ms still has to proof their acquisitions and output. I find it also funny;

Pre E3
Sony: "We're gonna show the four games and some other stuff"
MS: "We're gonna go proof ourselves"

E3
Sony: "Here are our four great looking games with gameplay and some other stuff"
MS: "Here are a shitload of third party titles that's also available on Ps4 and some promises"

After E3
Booooo Sony!