• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Haven't encountered this issue with my Xbox and I bounce from SDR to HDR often.
Patiently waiting for the Dolby Vision fix from Sony/Dolby though...

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's happening with my TV, too (900E). Every time I load up Horizon, the TV shuts down and I get the flashing red light, then have to reboot the TV from scratch. I can confirm it is being caused by shifting from non-HDR to HDR content, because I turned off HDR in the PS4 menu, then I turned it back on, and the TV shut down on the spot. It was even a bigger shutdown that before, because the remote wouldn't reboot it. It just kept flashing red. I got scared for a second. I had to unplug it from the wall before it would reboot.

Very disappointing.

So, Sony is supposedly "working on it"? Any idea how long it will take for them to get a fix out?
The only thing that Sony reps say on their forum is that "our engineers are looking into it."

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that Sony reps say on their forum is that "our engineers are looking into it."

Sigh. Well, someone please post when a fix is issued. I'd like to be able to use HDR without having my TV crap out. As it is, I've just turned HDR off.

p.s. I saw someone else on that thread say he was also experiencing the same thing (a shutdown) when he put in a 4K/HDR movie.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about signing up for the Sony forums to complain -- to make sure they weren't overlooking this -- but a browse of those forums http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/bd-p/4K-Ultra-HD-TV showed me 3 or 4 threads complaining about this issue, with a Sony rep responding in a few of them, saying they're working on it. So I guess they're sufficiently alerted.

Probably a silly question but is there a way to roll back the firmware?

I'm not a tech guy, but people on that Sony forum say no.

Someone apparently posted that a fix is coming in Feb., but who knows. I hope so. I bought this TV specifically to enjoy HDR in gaming, and now I have to turn that feature off. It's ironic that the TV seems to pair fine with the Xbox, but not with the PS4. lol.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I have the a x900e and am running version 7.0. Where do I find out which is latest firmware and what improvements it brings to the table?

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&icid=home|type1_us_en|drivers

Haven't had an update pushed here. Thanks for the warning though.

updates get pushed at various times for different people. the latest update for my 850D was released on the 16th but my tv wont download it yet.

i can however go get it and install manually from the support site.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
No problemo on my end too. Today I played AC: Origins and CoD: WW II on my 55" X9005E and was bueno. Although I have not updated to a new firmware. Based EU and will check when I get home from work.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
My TV updated to this firmware early last week. I hadn't noticed a problem yet because I've been playing Civ 6 on the PC and hadn't turned on my PS4 Pro in a couple weeks. After seeing this thread I tried loading into Horizon: Zero Dawn and the TV crashes just like was reported earlier in the thread. Strangely, HDR on the TV's native Netflix app is working fine and doesn't cause the issue.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Figures the time that I purchase a Sony 900e earlier this month for MHW that an issue would pop up for it weeks later...

That said, I can't say I've seen any issues with my TV after the update. I'll cross my fingers that either no additional issues pop up, or that another update will come up soon so that it can resolve an issue waiting for happen.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I turned off updates a little while ago. Not going to bother until HDR support is included streaming apps like Google Play and YouTube. I wish I bought a Chromecast Ultra or something during the Christmas sales. The apps on this TV fucking suck.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had any problems with my 55X900E that I bought around Black Friday. I updated the firmware initially but haven't seen any subsequent alerts to update. No issues with HDR on my PS4 Pro or the Android Netflix app.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
this tv is great but the android OS is complete shit, my only gripe with this set.

Either way, no issues on my end with the latest firmware. Thanks for the heads up though OP.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That happend to me this weekend. I saw the red light and didnt understood what it was, so I just turned on the Tv and never thought about it until I saw the thread...

Oct 25, 2017
Checking in again. Tested out Horizon and Uncharted TLL on PS4 Pro and AC Origins on 1X with HDR on. No issues with either console.

I wonder why it's affecting some and not others.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the update just now. I am really bummed that it does not give the X900E Dolby Vision support. I thought I read somewhere or was told by a rep that our model would get Dolby Vision via an update not just the model after ours.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this issue aswell,and from the looks of it,its game mode thats doing it,i put mine on standard and it hasnt done it .

Hey, thanks for posting that! It turns out it fixed it for me, too.

Anyone who's having the problem, check your settings. Action menu (while on PS4) -> Picture Settings -> Picture Mode. I had mine set to "Game" mode. When I switched it to "Standard" mode, the problem disappeared.

I'm happy to have HDR back! Thanks again!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Anyone who's having the problem, check your settings. Action menu (while on PS4) -> Picture Settings -> Picture Mode. I had mine set to "Game" mode. When I switched it to "Standard" mode, the problem disappeared.

Except, I'm unsure if the Standard mode has the same latency figures as Game mode (can be found on rtings.com).

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Do you know what the difference between the two modes is?

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what the difference between the two modes is?

No, I don't.

Others are saying there is more input lag with Standard. Anyone have the actual numerical differences?

I didn't notice any input lag, but I tend not to be all that sensitive to those things.

And if anyone can confirm Sports or some other mode works and also reduces lag, that would be swell. Now that I've got HDR working again, I don't feel like tempting fate.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I never updated to the latest firmware and so I've yet to encounter this issue.

Edit: okay so according to this outside game mode using 4K@60hz has a latency of 109ms and at 1080p@60hz the latency is 105.5ms.

Yes, but it also says this....

Very good input lag overall. In game or graphics mode the input lag is always lower than 35 ms, which should be good enough for all but the most competitive gamers.

So if the HDR bug doesn't affect graphics mode, that'd be the one to use until game is fixed.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
This is happening to me with AC Origins on PC. Game doesn't start there's a black screen until I end the application from the task manager. I don't get an error it's just black. I have the latest update and ithergames work fine.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had this issue with my X930, guess it's because of the slightly different hardware.

I did have a weird issue where the image would start flickering out and eventually just go black with 4K video (changing back to TV would fix it), but it didn't crash the TV, and it was sorted with a system reboot.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
no problems here at all on One X.

What setting should I use for movies/tv shows? While we are talking about this tv.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned before, switching to Standard (rather than Game mode) fixed the problem for me. I tested Graphics mode as well, and that booted up without a crash, too. And as others have mentioned, Graphics mode has the advantage of reduced latency. However, I didn't like the look of it; it was too flat. I'd rather take the increased latency with Standard.

One option I found, which may work for people concerned about latency but who aren't happy with the Graphics mode picture, is to boot the game up in Standard mode (or some other mode that doesn't cause a crash), then switch to Game mode. I did that, and I didn't get a crash. The problem there is that you have to remember to switch back to Standard (or some other non-crash mode) each time you boot up a game. Seemed like a hassle to me, so I'm just sticking with Standard for now.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As I mentioned before, switching to Standard (rather than Game mode) fixed the problem for me. I tested Graphics mode as well, and that booted up without a crash, too. And as others have mentioned, Graphics mode has the advantage of reduced latency. However, I didn't like the look of it; it was too flat. I'd rather take the increased latency with Standard.

One option I found, which may work for people concerned about latency but who aren't happy with the Graphics mode picture, is to boot the game up in Standard mode (or some other mode that doesn't cause a crash), then switch to Game mode. I did that, and I didn't get a crash. The problem there is that you have to remember to switch back to Standard (or some other non-crash mode) each time you boot up a game. Seemed like a hassle to me, so I'm just sticking with Standard for now.

Aren't all the calibration settings that are available in the "Game" mode also available under the "Graphics" mode?

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't all the calibration settings that are available in the "Game" mode also available under the "Graphics" mode?

Yes, that's right, they probably are.

I played with the Standard mode, and the input lag is quite noticeable, compared to Game mode. I guess I didn't expect it to be that noticeable. So I'll try to monkey with the Graphics mode settings, see if I can get the picture looking better...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes, that's right, they probably are.

I played with the Standard mode, and the input lag is quite noticeable vs. Game mode. I guess I didn't expect it to be that noticeable. So I'll try to monkey with the Graphics mode settings, see if I can get the picture looking better...

Copy pasta the settings you've got in game mode onto graphics mode et voila!

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copy pasta the settings you've got in game mode onto graphics mode et voila!

Yes, that's what I did. I only ended up needing to change a few settings (which came from rtings, I think). Graphics mode is now a duplicate of Game mode.

Thank you and everyone else for helping to sort this out. I'd be pretty annoyed and lost, if I had to figure this stuff out on my own or try to get on the phone to Sony tech support. It ticked me off at first, but now all is well. Good picture, low input latency -- basically just the same as it was before.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes, that's what I did. I only ended up needing to change a few settings (which came from rtings, I think). Graphics mode is now a duplicate of Game mode.

Thank you and everyone else for helping to sort this out. I'd be pretty annoyed and lost, if I had to figure this stuff out on my own or try to get on the phone to Sony tech support. It ticked me off at first, but now all is well. Good picture, low input latency -- basically just the same as it was before.

Awesome mate! This is a great way to circumvent the current issue for the time being. Let's hope they develop a new fix asap.

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
As you can see at 00.02" the screen flicks for one second.... It happens randomly when you use the browser,specially in white background pages like Google news or else...

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Updating your TV...
...TV crashing...

I've never felt so old. (And I'm not that old, but I am when it comes to upgrading electronics)