• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Does make me wonder if we'll eventually get a Premium variant or if that line is dead now

Also what i'm wondering as well, I waited for the premium versions of the the Z5 and XZ but I really really like the Purple version of the X1, not sure I will be able to resist upgrading when its available.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
21:9 video? Damn, I am glad this is missing a 3.5mm jack or i would start to think again about buying the s10+

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
When prices and release?

My XZ3 is falling apart and need a new phone stat!

Did you guys think I should get a cheap xperia xz premium ir pixel 3 or maybe s10? I know those phone's are more expensive but willing to shell $500 fir a new phone.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Compact version or bust, Sony.

Come on, you can't dissapoint me... The compact line is amazing. Small phone with top of the line specs.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
That screen panel looks amazing.

I can't wait for people to test it.

Still edging towards the Samsung but Sony has got my attention

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
When prices and release?

My XZ3 is falling apart and need a new phone stat!

Did you guys think I should get a cheap xperia xz premium ir pixel 3 or maybe s10? I know those phone's are more expensive but willing to shell $500 fir a new phone.
Dude, the xz3 is like 6 months and it's falling apart already? Did you mean the z3?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I wonder if I should stop being stubborn and get me one of these massive phones now that compact models are a thing of the past ;(

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if I should stop being stubborn and get me one of these massive phones now that compact models are a thing of the past ;(
I used to be a compact phone lover like you, then I started using a 6.2inch phone and never looked back.

The media consumption is amazing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be a compact phone lover like you, then I started using a 6.2inch phone and never looked back.

The media consumption is amazing.

Opposite here. Love smaller phones, but gave in and bought a larger one because my old one was getting a bit, well... old. I like it, but still wish it was smaller. The best phone I've ever had as far as form factor went was the original Moto X.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is super tempting on first impression. Would love to get my hands on it. Hoping it reminds of my S8+ which felt great in my hand with how tall it was.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might hang on to my XZP a little longer. No 3.5 and 21:9 are turning me off.

At least they went back and are putting the fingerprint reader on the side again.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I have owned a Z2, Z5, XZ, and XZ Premium (my current phone). I was critical of the XZ2 and XZ3 for lacking the usual Sony character as they did nothing particularly unique or interesting. X1 seems to capture the unique character again. I like it. For me, it's now a toss-up between this and waiting for the inevitable Sony phone with a Light camera array.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the new compact becomes vaporware, it looks like the only choice for a compact phone is the iPhone 8. That makes me sad.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
vivftp aren't you an active member at Esato? Thank God ADIDA does not have an account here lol

I can't decide whether to go with Black or Purple! Both look amazing IMO. If people think 6 GB of RAM is not enough, it is plenty! My XZ3 works just fine with 6GB of RAM. Sony usually bump up the RAM amount on their Asian variant. For Example the XZ3 was sold in the US and Europe with 4GB of RAM but in Asia they offered it with 6GB RAM and dual SIM

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
vivftp aren't you an active member at Esato? Thank God ADIDA does not have an account here lol

I can't decide whether to go with Black or Purple! Both look amazing IMO. If people think 6 GB of RAM is not enough, it is plenty! My XZ3 works just fine with 6GB of RAM. Sony usually bump up the RAM amount on their Asian variant. For Example the XZ3 was sold in the US and Europe with 4GB of RAM but in Asia they offered it with 6GB RAM and dual SIM

Yup, that's me 😃
I don't think nodar would last long here, the mods wouldn't take too kindly to his spamming

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Don't the companies send out phones well before MWC so the youtubers can have videos ready the second the announcements are made (embargo is down)?

I mean, that's what I would do to get attention (if I'm not Apple or Samsung that get that attention regardless).

They do that for non mwc announcements. The smaller the company, the more likely they send the phone to youtubers

Feb 10, 2018
Looks good apart from the battery life, unless there smart stamina tech is any good, but I have my doubts.
Phones with larger battery still have battery saving software.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Looks good apart from the battery life, unless there smart stamina tech is any good, but I have my doubts.
Phones with larger battery still have battery saving software.

Sony's been pretty good historically when it comes to battery life so it should be fine. Guessing it'll be a while before we can get any reviews since the phone isn't out until Spring.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Jesus christ why do they do shit like this? Lower the resolution, make it an IPS panel, and make it a better product. It's like, almost the perfect handset. So, so close! Seriously, this thing is gorgeous. THIS is what phones should strive to be.

Like, I know it's not just Sony but with the subpixel layout and arrangements (pentile and such) on some OLEDs, you have to go a lot higher in resolution to make it look as clear as an IPS panel on the same size. More pixels also means more stuff to render, which means taxing the processor and battery. There is a point where the numbers really don't matter with pixel density on a phone handset. I mean, some of these things have like 500+ PPI, it's getting ridiculous. Waste of performance battery and money.

Helllllll naw.

I don't know why anyone would want an LCD over an OLED unless their phone's CPU/GPU doesn't have the chops to drive such a high resolution display. After owning a phone with a quality OLED screen (iPhone X and now XS Max), I'm never going back to an LCD.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I was really hoping they would announce a new Compact (with headphone jack). I've been wanting to replace my XZ1 Compact because one of the speakers has a wonky connection. So, I'll just replace the speaker myself. Thanks for saving me $500+, Sony, I guess.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not too sure about just 6GB of RAM, but I'm liking everything else about the phone.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
21:9 4K HDR ? Who makes this type of OLED screen? O_o

Samsung? LG? Or Japanese Display (which Sony is part of)

Edit- and for those who complain about the resolution being too high and the effect on Battery... well with my S8+ I have it on HD+ on default....and when I want to watch something on Youtube that is a higher resolution, I turn on the Entertainment Mode...which Boosts the Resolution and other pictures effects. It doesn't take long... just click... then watch the Video..and when I'm done watching stuff... just click back to default video settings.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's been pretty good historically when it comes to battery life so it should be fine. Guessing it'll be a while before we can get any reviews since the phone isn't out until Spring.
A lot of the drain, however, must be fairly out of their control. S855, a large screen pushing a lot of pixels, etc... I can't imagine it coming at all close to the S10, let alone the S10+ in terms of battery life, even though those phones are (in terms of screen size), slightly smaller.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
21:9 4K HDR ? Who makes this type of OLED screen? O_o

Samsung? LG? Or Japanese Display (which Sony is part of)

Edit- and for those who complain about the resolution being too high and the effect on Battery... well with my S8+ I have it on HD+ on default....and when I want to watch something on Youtube that is a higher resolution, I turn on the Entertainment Mode...which Boosts the Resolution and other pictures effects. It doesn't take long... just click... then watch the Video..and when I'm done watching stuff... just click back to default video settings.

From the esato forums one of the insider people says the screen comes from Samsung.

As for why 4K screen, Sony's been doing this for many years now and this is the 4th model with a 4K display. The phone will only render content in 4K when it's actually trying to display 4K content (photos, movies...). In the normal UI the phone renders at a lower resolution to save battery life

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So how available will this be in the US? Any of the major carriers actually going to support this in an official manner?

Feb 10, 2018
I would trade that for battery life all day every day. Heck, I'm ok with 720p on a phone. Give me a phone that lasts more than a day and a half with heavy use.

I get about 12-15hrs continuous use from my mate 20 pro, which has 4200mah battery and the Huawei battery saving AI is quite active.

Maybe sony's stamina tech will make it keep up with bigger batteries but I doubt it, also the it will probably adjust the resolution to save battery life, I would imagine 4k will eat up battery quickly.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So how available will this be in the US? Any of the major carriers actually going to support this in an official manner?

Afraid we don't have that info yet.

I get about 12-15hrs continuous use from my mate 20 pro, which has 4200mah battery and the Huawei battery saving AI is quite active.

Maybe sony's stamina tech will make it keep up with bigger batteries but I doubt it, also the it will probably adjust the resolution to save battery life, I would imagine 4k will eat up battery quickly.

IIRC people were able to mod previous 4K Xperias to run at 4K all the time and it had a minimal impact on performance and battery life. My XZ Premium is a 4K phone and battery life is just hunky dory

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't bought a Sony phone since my Z3 which I loved. It was also a pain in the ass that only T Mobile carried and then after that it seemed like Sony didn't bother or most carriers didn't give a shit. Was wondering if that had changed at all in the years since. This phone does look sleek as hell.

Feb 10, 2018

IIRC people were able to mod previous 4K Xperias to run at 4K all the time and it had a minimal impact on performance and battery life. My XZ Premium is a 4K phone and battery life is just hunky dory

What, you can't disable adaptive resolution in the settings?

But for a 6.5 inch phone 3300mah is low.