• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Why why why does this phone only have a 3300mah battery, I wonder how the battery life will actually be like on this thing.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I would trade that for battery life all day every day. Heck, I'm ok with 720p on a phone. Give me a phone that lasts more than a day and a half with heavy use.

Moto G7 Power with 5000 mah battery coming in spring. You're welcome :)
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-power-gen-7

A 4K display on a phone? WHY??????????????

bragging rights? marketing? to stand out in an ocean of similar glass rectangular phones?

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always love the look and the color choices for sony phones but my god this sounds expensive
that purple one is dope
also, 6.5 inches? remember when 7" tablets were a thing? granted they had massive bezels but wow

Feb 10, 2018
Unless they've added it with the Xperia 1, no you can't disable the adaptive resolution in settings.

Anyways, the phone is only 70mAh less than the Galaxy S10. I think it'll be fine.

Its more comparible to the Samsung s10+ which has a 6.4inch screen and 4100mah battery.
But who knows maybe sony's smart stamina may be the bees knees.

----
On a separate note I don't know why ppl are still fussed about stock android, 7nm chips are so fast now that all android variants react instantly.

Slackerish

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I haven't bought a Sony phone since my Z3 which I loved. It was also a pain in the ass that only T Mobile carried and then after that it seemed like Sony didn't bother or most carriers didn't give a shit. Was wondering if that had changed at all in the years since. This phone does look sleek as hell.

T-Mobile didn't carry the XZ2 last year or the models that came after. I had to buy it at Amazon. Had issues with it, T-Mobile couldn't give me any details on what may be going on since they didn't carry it.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest I was surprised Sony didn't slap their new 48 megapixel sensors into this phone. This is the first flagship from them in a couple years that doesn't use the IMX400 sensor, so I'm curious to see what this one can do.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping they would announce a new Compact (with headphone jack). I've been wanting to replace my XZ1 Compact because one of the speakers has a wonky connection. So, I'll just replace the speaker myself. Thanks for saving me $500+, Sony, I guess.
We'll have to wait for IFA in September and hope for a release in early October like the xz1 compact.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Switched to Sony several years ago and never looked back. The best and most underrated phones in existence IMO.

I tend to be a fan of the Compact line, but something about a larger "cinema" style screen is very tempting. I watched The Matrix recently on my XZ1 Compact and whilst I enjoyed it I could have done with the larger screen - phone size be damned - so this new phone is very alluring.

That said I'm expecting the price of this to be quite high - if the mid-range variant (Xperia 10) is ~£300.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just double checked, the Xperia 1 is only 7mm wider than the XZ2 Compact and about 5mm less wide than my XZ Premium. That's actually pretty damned good for being able to hold the device one handed IMO.

I probably still won't be upgrading for another year but I like that direction. I don't have giant hands, but I'd say they're on the larger side and I can sometimes find it difficult to use my phone one handed because of its width.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just double checked, the Xperia 1 is only 7mm wider than the XZ2 Compact and about 5mm less wide than my XZ Premium. That's actually pretty damned good for being able to hold the device one handed IMO.

I probably still won't be upgrading for another year but I like that direction. I don't have giant hands, but I'd say they're on the larger side and I can sometimes find it difficult to use my phone one handed because of its width.
Phonearena is your friend. I always go to compare phone sizes.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I was able to find a video demonstrating the eye auto focus tech used on the Xperia 1 that's brought over from Sony's Alpha line of pro cameras:

Pretty damn impressive to have this on a phone.

Found another one that's a bit more in-depth with the eye AF and also shows off using the crazy burst shooting mode with it. It also shows off what each of the 3 lenses look like when shooting (wide, ultra wide and telephoto)

Interesting to note at the end they ask why Sony went with Dolby Atmos when they have their reality audio tech. The answer is reality audio is more geared for music and Doby Atmos is more for cinema.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I was able to find a video demonstrating the eye auto focus tech used on the Xperia 1 that's brought over from Sony's Alpha line of pro cameras:

Pretty damn impressive to have this on a phone.

Found another one that's a bit more in-depth with the eye AF and also shows off using the crazy burst shooting mode with it. It also shows off what each of the 3 lenses look like when shooting (wide, ultra wide and telephoto)

Interesting to note at the end they ask why Sony went with Dolby Atmos when they have their reality audio tech. The answer is reality audio is more geared for music and Doby Atmos is more for cinema.

I really like Sony's cameras so seeing more of the tech finally making its way into their phones is great

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Found this article where Trustedreviews spoke with Adam Marsh, Sony's sensior manager of global marketing about this phone:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-xperia-phones-finally-getting-alpha-style-cameras-3666962

Some highlights:

The Sony Xperia 1 also processes photos in the same way as Alpha cameras, according to March. "Normally when you take a picture, the phone will then compress it into a JPEG and then add the noise reduction. How Alpha does it is that it takes the Raw image, adds the algorithm to reduce the noise on the Raw image, then compresses it to JPEG, then you put noise reduction on top. That's how Alpha is doing it. From Xperia 1, that's how Xperia 1 will do it as well", he said.

Also

There have also previously been issues with interdepartmental rivalry stifling collaboration, Marsh admitted. "Even though we're one company, there are still sometimes barriers that Alpha doesn't want to give Mobile certain things, because all of a sudden you have the same as what a £3,000 camera's got.

"Now that barrier's gone a little bit. They're saying "okay, we see that having a smartphone and camera that gives you the same experience is a good thing", he added.

Great news all around. Previous Xperia's have typically retained more detail at full zoom than most other phones, but they also normally had more noise as well. Hopefully this switch to the way the Alpha cameras do things will yield better, cleaner results. Also good to see there's confirmation that there were some barriers between the mobile group and the rest of Sonys camera arms, and that they're starting to tear those barriers down.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Considering how much gaming on Android has evolved over the years, they should really do a sequel to this, it'd do much better now:

250px-Sony-Xperia-Play-Open-FL.jpg

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Found this article where Trustedreviews spoke with Adam Marsh, Sony's sensior manager of global marketing about this phone:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-xperia-phones-finally-getting-alpha-style-cameras-3666962

Some highlights:

The Sony Xperia 1 also processes photos in the same way as Alpha cameras, according to March. "Normally when you take a picture, the phone will then compress it into a JPEG and then add the noise reduction. How Alpha does it is that it takes the Raw image, adds the algorithm to reduce the noise on the Raw image, then compresses it to JPEG, then you put noise reduction on top. That's how Alpha is doing it. From Xperia 1, that's how Xperia 1 will do it as well", he said.

Also

There have also previously been issues with interdepartmental rivalry stifling collaboration, Marsh admitted. "Even though we're one company, there are still sometimes barriers that Alpha doesn't want to give Mobile certain things, because all of a sudden you have the same as what a £3,000 camera's got.

"Now that barrier's gone a little bit. They're saying "okay, we see that having a smartphone and camera that gives you the same experience is a good thing", he added.

Great news all around. Previous Xperia's have typically retained more detail at full zoom than most other phones, but they also normally had more noise as well. Hopefully this switch to the way the Alpha cameras do things will yield better, cleaner results. Also good to see there's confirmation that there were some barriers between the mobile group and the rest of Sonys camera arms, and that they're starting to tear those barriers down.

Sounds like the internal moves of Sony trying to get its different departments to interact and combine their different specialties is starting to bare fruit.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the alternative that's out now, the Xperia 10, is any good? Seems to offer something similar with the "cinema" style screen.

Currently have an XZ1 Compact and the Xperia 1, whilst amazing, is far too large for me. The 10 is much smaller, and seems more suitable.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
The 10 is a mid range phone, but should be fine for most people honestly.

Thanks dude. Yeah I think it'll be good and a nice upgrade. The "cinema" style screens Sony are pushing are very tempting. Films in their native aspect ratio. The Xperia 1, whilst high-end and very superior, is just a bit too large for me. So thinking the Xperia 10 might be more suitable for now.

Also still a fan of the 3.5mm jack that my current XZ1 Compact still has, and the Xperia 10 thankfully still has also.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Why do I need a 6.5" screen in my pocket?

Whatever happened to reasonable screen sizes?

Nobody brought them.

It's a shame, but true. Not enough people want phones under 5 inches to make such a phone viable. I haven't even seen any successful kickstarters for small smartphones. For the foreseeable future, it's a dead market.

Loved my iPhone but jumped to a Nokia 8 last year, can't say I missed having a smaller phone compared to the bigger screen real estate. People are slowly migrating to phones for everyday computing, so they want, and need, bigger screen sizes.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6.5 inch screen with a 3300mAh battery?

Eeeehhhhhhhhh.

Looks nice I guess but an iPhone level battery I a big screened android device designed for media consumption makes absolutely no sense.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6.5 inch screen with a 3300mAh battery?

Eeeehhhhhhhhh.

Looks nice I guess but an iPhone level battery I a big screened android device designed for media consumption makes absolutely no sense.
I'm hoping that the long ratio and thus number of pixels being lit sort of reduces that overall load but 3300mAH does seem to be somewhat low overall for the foot print of the screen. I refuse to believe the fancy marketing claims of their battery software solution being able to save that much battery life.

I think the app used to work on non Sony phones before, but I believe now it only works on Sony phones.
Awesome. I don't know if I'll find much use for it but I'll give it a whirl I guess.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm hoping that the long ratio and thus number of pixels being lit sort of reduces that overall load but 3300mAH does seem to be somewhat low overall for the foot print of the screen. I refuse to believe the fancy marketing claims of their battery software solution being able to save that much battery life.

Awesome. I don't know if I'll find much use for it but I'll give it a whirl I guess.

The battery size is surprising indeed. I'm interested in seeing real life usage once it releases.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The battery size is surprising indeed. I'm interested in seeing real life usage once it releases.
I'm guessing it's not going to be pretty, and no smart battery tech or otherwise clutter free OS will be able to make up for it. If I want to guess: Sony put the development money towards standing out, rather than into ways to put a larger battery in.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm guessing it's not going to be pretty, and no smart battery tech or otherwise clutter free OS will be able to make up for it. If I want to guess: Sony put the development money towards standing out, rather than into ways to put a larger battery in.

It's surprising since that used to be a feature of Xperias. Then again, no one bought them outside of Japan mostly so maybe they decided against that.