• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that really feels worrisome about the battery is it's ability to record and view 21:9 content. When the primary marketing element of it is the 21:9 you'd think they would put a sizeable battery to support that feature well, as its a battery drainer for sure

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yeah, it's baffling for sure. As is the no 3.5mm when the 10 still has it. Flagship gets less features in some ways.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
looks like the US and EU models will be single sim and the Asian variant will have dual sim....That's the major difference

Decided to get the purple model!

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I can actually upgrade so I'm spoilt for choice.

I haven't had a Sony phone since the Xperia Arc.

I'm going to wait for the reviews before I decide.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Updated the OP with a ton of amazing new pictures created by KBadOne. Thank you very much for that, they're all amazing!

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
this phone is tempting me to break my vow of never buying a phone without a 3.5mm jack

Personally I don't think I'd mind it much. Admittedly I don't use the 3.5mm jack on my XZ Premium often but if I did I'd just be sure to stick the dongle on my headphone wire so they'd be good to go whenever. Or worst case I'd stick the dongle in my wallet so it's always with me. I know more choices are always better, but I also do think some people out there (in general, not referring to you) do make a bigger deal out of it than necessary.

Stoked to see the compact version.

As of this moment there is no compact variant, but the rumor mills are hinting at a compact model later in the year, but it MIGHT just be for Japan. Lots of uncertainty there since some of the rumors are coming from new sources so we'll have to wait and see.

6.5 inch screen with a 3300mAh battery?

Eeeehhhhhhhhh.

Looks nice I guess but an iPhone level battery I a big screened android device designed for media consumption makes absolutely no sense.

Sony have historically been pretty good at maximizing battery life so I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt. If I had to take a guess I'd imagine it'll be in the same ballpark as the Galaxy S10 for battery life, so good enough but not mindblowing.

I wish Sony would let me pay them money for the remote play app for any android phone. It's a shame it's limited only to Sony phones that don't sell in huge numbers.

They did just add remote play to iOS devices today so I have to imagine Android devices in general can't be far away. I imagine iOS was just easier to implement due to the limited number of devices to have to program for compared to the multitude of devices on Android.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Phones are getting expensive! That's equivalent to $1100 USD! I hope I can get some good cash from selling my XZ3.

I am not planning to import this year. The colors I need will be sold in the US, don't care much about Dual SIM capability either...I say 2nd week of June in the US market

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Headphone jack and I might have skipped the s10+ for the 24fps HDR video recording.
But that was my dealbreaker, that and the smaller battery.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the NA versions likely to release around the same time as UK? I'm not sure how it typically works for phone releases. I went ahead and switched providers today to save about 80 bucks over the next 2+ months which I'll put towards the Xperia 1's upfront cost whenever it comes out.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Is the NA versions likely to release around the same time as UK? I'm not sure how it typically works for phone releases. I went ahead and switched providers today to save about 80 bucks over the next 2+ months which I'll put towards the Xperia 1's upfront cost whenever it comes out.

They usually around 1-2 weeks apart. Hopefully it's compatible with Verizon Network as well

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

We don't know yet. It probably will be close though.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I like the case more than the phone.

The phone is OK. I guess if you're particular about screen ratio for movies on the phone, it's a good deal.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the case more than the phone.

The phone is OK. I guess if you're particular about screen ratio for movies on the phone, it's a good deal.
I'm more interested in having the 21:9 ratio+HDR for video/film making purposes. It's going to be more of a pain in the ass to frame and shoot, but the results will hopefuly pay off when viewing on an ultrawide monitor.

The other thing is, I really enjoy multi-app use on my android. Being able to maintain a Whatsapp convo while watching Youtube or browsing while having Youtube open is so clutch. Getting that extra real estate will be useful for me.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
I would wait until they have an actual date set and see what pre-order deals they will have! Just to note, only Black and Purple will be available in the US (Single SIM)

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm interested in hearing about battery life impressions in real world use.

Though even if they are great, I'm hoping for a Compact coming down the line again.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
While we're waiting for reviews on the Xperia 1 we can take a peak at reviews for the Xperia 10 Plus:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_10_plus-review-1906.php

Not too shabby for an upper mid-range phone. I do like what I'm seeing on the post processing in the camera pics. The low light pics are garbage, but for normal lighting conditions the amount of noise is quite good while maintaining detail. I used their comparison tool to compare the Xperia 10, the Xperia XZ3 and the Galaxy S10+ and in terms of noise in the image the Xperia 10 was closer to the S10+ than the XZ3, but didn't have the same annoying smoothness to objects that the S10+ has, which was good. It makes me very hopeful for the Xperia 1 as it'll have superior cameras and I don't think the 10 even uses the new post-processing method that the 1 will be using.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Saw this video posted elsewhere but it seems to give a great overview of the Xperia 1 with a lot of comparison footage. It's not in English, but the footage is still worth watching:

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how this resolution would look on a VR headset that could hold the phone? Would there still be a noticeable screen door effect?

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
A post on Weibo claims the Xperia 1's release date has been bumped up and is now expected at the end of April.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I really like the idea of a 21:9 phone, but that's so far outside my budget. Just not happening.

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Looks so good. If only it was 100% compatibly with google Fi (aka allowed the VPN features which is big for going to the middle east).

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well if the phone is due out end of April I have to imagine we'll be seeing retail samples leak out in the next week or maybe two. I'm very interested to see how the new camera performs.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how well it does with night photography.
I really want to see some real world night shots with it

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the s10e today but this phone keeps tempting me. I think im going to buy it as well and then sell whichever phone loses.