• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
meh, I'm ok with that. I know some people will want it to render in a lower resolution.

Also do you mean scaled up?

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
meh, I'm ok with that. I know some people will want it to render in a lower resolution.

Also do you mean scaled up?

Well, the app would be scaled down from the 4K resolution that he phone will use for everything else I suppose. But then that scaled down rendered app will be displayed on the 4k display.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
For those of us who prefer a smaller (but still pretty powerful phone), how do you guys feel about the Xperia XZ2 Compact?

I have one. It's a terrific phone. My only issue is the lack of the headphone jack, but I'm living with that.

The phone is always snappy and fast, camera is great, battery life is excellent. Some would say it's too thick, but it doesn't bother me at all. Screen and stereo speakers are all top notch. With the current pricing it is a steal.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have one. It's a terrific phone. My only issue is the lack of the headphone jack, but I'm living with that.

The phone is always snappy and fast, camera is great, battery life is excellent. Some would say it's too thick, but it doesn't bother me at all. Screen and stereo speakers are all top notch. With the current pricing it is a steal.

Whats the best price on this currently (US market)?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've seen it as low as under $400 (US model) on Amazon. Price fluctuates every couple weeks between 4-500 recently.

Yeah it's like $465 or so currently for new. There is one for $330 refurbished which is a pretty huge savings, think it's safe? Like I want one in mint condition with little to no scratches/damage:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-...a+XZ2+Compact&qid=1553483803&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Worth the risk? Money is tigh so that's a decent amount of money saved...

Last edited:
OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For those of us who prefer a smaller (but still pretty powerful phone), how do you guys feel about the Xperia XZ2 Compact?

Take this with a very big grain of salt but there're rumors of an Xperia 4 model that is basically the replacement of the Compact. It's only a rumor right now as the source is a new and unproven source from another forum I visit, but the story did get picked up by other sites:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperi...ct_line_will_have_a_219_screen-news-36104.php

gsmarena-002.jpg

The specs and release date info are spotty and there's a question of whether the device is only meant for Japan or if it'll go global.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Yeah it's like $465 or so currently for new. There is one for $330 refurbished which is a pretty huge savings, think it's safe? Like I want one in mint condition with little to no scratches/damage:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-...a+XZ2+Compact&qid=1553483803&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Swappa has one in mint condition for about $310 with box and picture of the phone
https://swappa.com/listing/view/LRRG99797

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

The international versions are $389, only $60 more for a brand new one. The only thing you'll need is a US adapter and it's just a USB one. The only thing I've found with international versions is sometimes you will not get local emergency alerts like weather /missile alert type stuff.

Refurbished you take your chances, might be great, might be bad.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Take this with a very big grain of salt but there're rumors of an Xperia 4 model that is basically the replacement of the Compact. It's only a rumor right now as the source is a new and unproven source from another forum I visit, but the story did get picked up by other sites:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperi...ct_line_will_have_a_219_screen-news-36104.php

gsmarena-002.jpg

The specs and release date info are spotty and there's a question of whether the device is only meant for Japan or if it'll go global.
That is skinny as heck... seems an odd design choice if that's a real device.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The international versions are $389, only $60 more for a brand new one. The only thing you'll need is a US adapter and it's just a USB one. The only thing I've found with international versions is sometimes you will not get local emergency alerts like weather /missile alert type stuff.

Refurbished you take your chances, might be great, might be bad.

Yeah this is the one I found as well. I already have usb adapters already and it seems compatible with US services like AT&T and others. Price isn't too bad for new. Might go with this option. Just hope I like the phone.

This is essentially replacing my iPod Touch which is croaking. Was hoping for the 7th gen to finally be announced and yet it didn't happen. I'm use to ios though and Apple phones are expensive as I wouldn't bother with anything older then an iPhone 8 at this point.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance of a compact variant? The phone's incredible but checked on GSM Arena and it's huge. The Xperia 10 is good but also a little too big also.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No word yet. Sony's Xperia market market has been shrinking over the last little bit so I don't know if I'd expect them to push aggressively with a ton of different models. I think those days are done. Their phone business has been going down so much that it's basically netting out all the crazy traction they've gained from their gaming division alone over the last year. However Sony has never been one to shy away from taking those risks so I personally am expecting a smaller phone.

I think that a more compact variant would offset some of the issues people are already reporting with the Xperia 10 (and likely soon the 1) which is the dated Android UI drop down menu being less and less useful for the increasingly longer phones. A compact would maintain the nice ratio of the 21:9 with it's features and still be tall enough to not be uncomfortable with 1 hand use.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The 10 is about the right size for me, being about the size of my HTC One M8 but it's just screen on the front instead. However, it seems to be underpowered for the price and I dunno how well it could be supported with custom OS builds in the future vs the 1 or insert old flagship here

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And yet Bluetooth still fails a sound quality standard set nearly 30 years ago *shrugs*
I never got the whole hype of the Hi-Res audio. How can Sony tout that for the Xperia 1 if it's still using Bluetooth. I know Bluetooth standards have improved over time, but I thought they still lagged a bit behind the more premium wired Cans

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
And yet Bluetooth still fails a sound quality standard set nearly 30 years ago *shrugs*
Not the Sony Bluetooth earphone I'm using ( you have to spend a little more) . Sound is incredible. And I don't have to deal with them horrible wires.

But if people want to use ancient stuff, Sony provides the dongle.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Not the Sony Bluetooth earphone I'm using ( you have to spend a little more) . Sound is incredible. And I don't have to deal with them horrible wires.

But if people want to use ancient stuff, Sony provides the dongle.
They may sound better than other BT devices but still, technically, they can't match pure LPCM 48khz 16bit Stereo with near zero latency. Once they do I'll be happy to use them but right now they're style over function and transcoding on top of lossy is a big no no.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
I use WI-1000X wireless headphones with my phone, so much easier to use on the go for day to day usage! I honestly find it sound as good as wired headphones thanks to LDAC codec Sony uses in their phones. The only time I use wire headphones is when I listen to my NW-WM1A Walkman at home.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth headphones >>>> that prehistoric shyt with wires..

You will never go back.

unless you actually like decent sound without having to pay an arm and a leg for the sony phones with all the fancy shit in them to make them sound as good as a 100 dollar pair of wired cans or IEMs.

Getting tired of this shit

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like just buying the USB C -to-headphone port Jack is a risk in case Sony stops supporting it on future devices which kills the use of it. It's only worthwhile if it's not too pricey. I think I'll have to wait and see when I get the phone at this point. Without knowing the cost of anything it makes making a decision harder for me now as I don't have any good headphones on me(Bluetooth or wired).

I hope Sony makes a pre order date soon for Canada. The lack of marketing makes me wonder why they are waiting so long.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Even though my Sony WI-1000x wireless earbuds are awesome...there are situations where I miss being able to plug in a pair of my wired ones. I have the USB C adapters, but once I wanted to use my phone as a source at work for something and I needed a 3.5mm jack. I didn't bring my wired headphones that day so no adapter. You can still have the wireless and the 3.5. It's not like you won't be able to use BT if the phone has a jack.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Just read on the Xperia blog that Sony have halved their mobile work force, shutdown their Shanghai plant and merged mobile in to other divisions amidst pressure from shareholders to shutter mobile. And apparently the Xperia Twitter handle disappeared?

Honestly hope this doesn't signal the end of Xperia. Been a fan for such a long time via multiple devices and was hoping they'd be around forever.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just read on the Xperia blog that Sony have halved their mobile work force, shutdown their Shanghai plant and merged mobile in to other divisions amidst pressure from shareholders to shutter mobile. And apparently the Xperia Twitter handle disappeared?

Honestly hope this doesn't signal the end of Xperia. Been a fan for such a long time via multiple devices and was hoping they'd be around forever.

The main Sony Xperia Twitter account will be moving to another in June. That's the only thing I recall. And it's still there now.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
The main Sony Xperia Twitter account will be moving to another in June. That's the only thing I recall. And it's still there now.

Ah, very good to know. Thanks dude. Yeah that was the most worrying thing so glad it was just a false alarm.

Also I've read that apparently the merging of mobile was to specifically hide mobile's continued losses from shareholders to keep the pressure off because presumably Sony want to keep mobile around, so perhaps Xperia's future is actually okay for now.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017

There is a rumor going around that Sony might detch the xperia brand next year and just stick with SONY as their brand for phones! Maybe that's why they are changing their Twitter handle!...they are not going anywhere anytime soon

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I suppose the era of Xperia/Bravia/Vaio/Vita is coming to a close. Vaio was sold off, Vita is dead, and Bravia is still used but no longer emphasized like it was a decade ago.

Maybe Xperia will live on but they'll just emphasize the Sony brand over it like they do with Bravia now.

I hope it lives on. Xperia is just a cool name. Easily my favorite of the Sony-isms.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017