• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
No compact version (>5.0" ) No buy. Still can't understand how people can comfortably use huge phones like these.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Why do I need a 4k OLED display for a 6 and a half inch screen?"

Because in 20 years you will buy OLED wallpaper and turn entire rooms into low cost low energy high fidelity displays and you will be able to live at the top of the Old Luke's cliff from Star Wars or in blob whitegai's treetop house from Avatar.

Of all the maturing entertainment tech right now, I'm most excited about what happens with flexible display tech.

I got to see the Netflix lobby display in person and was so hypnotized that I missed a real life chance to spot Kurt Russel. This is the Salesforce lobby wall:

This is the Netflix wall.

Both displays are comparatively low resolution. And the tech is still teething on tiling and seams and so on. But the gaming, entertainment, art, decor and architecture applications are beyond obvious and limited by my shitty imagination. Being able to use entire rooms as displays, interfaces, environments and lighting and art installations is just thrilling to think about.

And with Sony and LG leading those charges with this stuff, it will take longer to get there.

However, removing headphoine jack is a dick move. If you're OK with it, then please enjoy your bluetooth solution but please don't dismiss the invonvenience and quality concerns raised by others. I can't even upgrade my iPad "Pro" because the new one deleted the 3.5 mm jack. If someone can explain to me when Bluetooth became the new "Pro" standard for audio/video pros then I will read that carefully. It's also ironic that the thickest edge of the new iPad Pro is much thicker than the old one and could easily contain a couple of dozen headphone jacks. And it's not waterproof. And it needs a dongle to use wired phones - and then you need another dongle to charge or power at the same time.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Updated the OP with newer images courtesy of KBadOne, thanks for all your hard work! :)

"Why do I need a 4k OLED display for a 6 and a half inch screen?"

Because in 20 years you will buy OLED wallpaper and turn entire rooms into low cost low energy high fidelity displays and you will be able to live at the top of the Old Luke's cliff from Star Wars or in blob whitegai's treetop house from Avatar.

Of all the maturing entertainment tech right now, I'm most excited about what happens with flexible display tech.

I got to see the Netflix lobby display in person and was so hypnotized that I missed a real life chance to spot Kurt Russel. This is the Salesforce lobby wall:

This is the Netflix wall.

Both displays are comparatively low resolution. And the tech is still teething on tiling and seams and so on. But the gaming, entertainment, art, decor and architecture applications are beyond obvious and limited by my shitty imagination. Being able to use entire rooms as displays, interfaces, environments and lighting and art installations is just thrilling to think about.

And with Sony and LG leading those charges with this stuff, it will take longer to get there.

However, removing headphoine jack is a dick move. If you're OK with it, then please enjoy your bluetooth solution but please don't dismiss the invonvenience and quality concerns raised by others. I can't even upgrade my iPad "Pro" because the new one deleted the 3.5 mm jack. If someone can explain to me when Bluetooth became the new "Pro" standard for audio/video pros then I will read that carefully. It's also ironic that the thickest edge of the new iPad Pro is much thicker than the old one and could easily contain a couple of dozen headphone jacks. And it's not waterproof. And it needs a dongle to use wired phones - and then you need another dongle to charge or power at the same time.

That wall is glorious! I've wanted to see a screen like that in person since I saw Sony's CLEDIS displays. I'm hoping in the not too distant future we'll have movie theaters where the screens and projectors are replaced by massive video walls. Oh what a glorious day that will be! Maybe with Sony creating their own Sony theaters we'll see that sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Xperia 1 goes on pre-order in Scandinavia, bundled with Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones

The Sony Xperia 1 will come bundled with Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, which many regard as the noise canceling king. However, at €300 or so, many may also regard them as pricey.

The bundle will sell for €1,000 on Finnish carrier Elisa. We also found them on Danish store Bilka for SEK 8,000 and Norway's Elkjop for NOK 10,000.

Both Elisa and Bilka list the delivery date as June 3, which is just a few days after the UK release.

Note that the headphones bundle is available only if you pre-order. If you can't shell out that kind of cash at once, the stores do offer monthly installment plans. We hope you didn't have your heart set on the Purple color, however.

Meanwhile in Japan, the Sony Xperia 1 will launch on carriers SoftBank and au. They miss the headphone bundle and only get 64GB of storage. SoftBank will start accepting pre-orders this Friday and has scheduled the release for mid-June.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm can you pre-order in the UK? Kinda tempted considering how good those headphones are...

ps3ud0 8)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xperia 1 goes on pre-order in Scandinavia, bundled with Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones

The Sony Xperia 1 will come bundled with Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, which many regard as the noise canceling king. However, at €300 or so, many may also regard them as pricey.

The bundle will sell for €1,000 on Finnish carrier Elisa. We also found them on Danish store Bilka for SEK 8,000 and Norway's Elkjop for NOK 10,000.

Both Elisa and Bilka list the delivery date as June 3, which is just a few days after the UK release.

Note that the headphones bundle is available only if you pre-order. If you can't shell out that kind of cash at once, the stores do offer monthly installment plans. We hope you didn't have your heart set on the Purple color, however.

Meanwhile in Japan, the Sony Xperia 1 will launch on carriers SoftBank and au. They miss the headphone bundle and only get 64GB of storage. SoftBank will start accepting pre-orders this Friday and has scheduled the release for mid-June.

Those are great headphones. I ended up picking the Bose qc35 iis because the app was more useful for device management and charging was better but honestly there wasn't much more between them. The Sony audio quality sounded a little bassier and the noise canceling was almost as good. But again you can't really go wrong with them. Great for telephony too, importantly.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! Does this pre-order come with the headphones?

Also, any more pre-release reviews?

Afraid us North Americans don't usually get those cool bundle deals like our European cousins. I am tempted by the Xperia 1 but I'm still rocking my XZ Premium from a couple years ago and it's doing an amazing job. I'll probably wait another year, in the back of my mind I still have hopes that Sony Mobile might collaborate with PlayStation to some degree to make a proper Xperia Play 2 that can stream PS Now games over 5G with physical controls.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I have the WH-1000XM3 headphones, they're amazing. Used them on my last trip (6 hours to Panamá) and they made all the difference. Their ANC is truly on another level - I slept 3 or 4 hours when I usually don't sleep at all when sleeping.
Plus, they sound great. For audiophiles there are surely better options, but for me the clarity in the audio was great.

If you want the phone and can shell out the cash for the headphones go for it. They're truly worth it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sony Xperia 2 just leaked, with Xperia 1 pre-orders still not shipping in US

"leaks" but whatever

64XStF9.jpg

QdnHaVk.jpg

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
That's a damn nice looking phone. I'd take super thin top and bottom bezels over all notches any day.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Why is Sony so far behind on designs? They are so insistent on these anachronistic rectangular chassises for their devices. At least they're getting with the times in regards to them slimming the bezels down.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why is Sony so far behind on designs? They are so insistent on these anachronistic rectangular chassises for their devices. At least they're getting with the times in regards to them slimming the bezels down.
It looks archaic because the corners aren't as round as the s10+ or something?

I think it looks good. Not every device needs to look identical, even though this isn't that different from everything else.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It looks archaic because the corners aren't as round as the s10+ or something?

I think it looks good. Not every device needs to look identical, even though this isn't that different from everything else.

Yes because that whole aesthetic is something from the past that most manufacturers have moved on from. I'm sure that's appealing to some people but it just looks ugly to me.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because that whole aesthetic is something from the past that most manufacturers have moved on from. I'm sure that's appealing to some people but it just looks ugly to me.
Most of the other phone manufacturers appeal to your tastes.... I like that Sony keeps this aesthetic, I don't like the rounded edges or notches that other brands use.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony Xperia 1 + WH-1000XM bundle expands to UK, the Netherlands and Sweden

The Sony Xperia 1 bundles are spreading – in several countries pre-ordering the flagship nets you Sony's best noise-canceling headphones, the WH-1000XM3, for free. Today, we've dug up more deals.

Express UK reports that Brits will be given a choice – the 1000XM3 headphones or a free PlayStation 4. Vodafone offers an Xperia 1, PlayStation 4 and Marvel's Spider-Man game for £49 upfront and £54 a month for 15GB of data. O2 and Carphone Warehouse will bundle the headphones instead.

Dutch store Belsimpel has a special deal too - for €950, it will bundle not only the headphones, but a fast charger as well (USB Power Delivery, worth €60). Note that the retail package of the Xperia 1 differs by country, most only get a regular charger.

Yesterday, we saw the headphone bundle in Finland, Denmark and Norway. Now Swedish carrier Tele2 has joined in, asking SEK 10,000 for the combo.

In addition to Elisa, Finns can also check out DNA and Verkkokauppa for the headphone bundle. In Denmark, the deal is also available on Telenor, Elgiganten and Telia. Telia Norwayoffers it too.

We haven't seen the PlayStation 4 deal outside of the UK, however. Leave a comment if you spot it somewhere else.

By the way, British retailer Mobile Phones Direct offers the Xperia 10 Plus for £336 upfront and £19 a month (for 24 months), which it bundles with a PlayStation 4. The phone costs about £300 SIM-free, the PlayStation 4 appears to be the non-Pro model.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt we will see something like that in the US, I hope I am wrong! These are some pretty sweet bundles!

Amazon, BH Photo and Clove UK should update their pages by next week. Best Buy on the other hand might not list the phone until it's day of release.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised that we haven't seen any proper reviews for this phone. What's going on?

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still surprised that we haven't seen any proper reviews for this phone. What's going on?

For whatever reason the phone's taken a long time to get on the market. Now that pre-orders are being taken and that we're only a couple weeks or so from it hitting consumers we should begin to see reviews. I'll update the OP when I see 'em

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wait,it hasn't come out?

lol, nope! We dunno what the holdup was, but guessing it was either one of the components wasn't ready, or some of the software wasn't ready. It was a similar delay last year with the XZ2 Premium taking forever to hit the market. That's definitely one area where Sony Mobile needs to get their act together.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
For whatever reason the phone's taken a long time to get on the market. Now that pre-orders are being taken and that we're only a couple weeks or so from it hitting consumers we should begin to see reviews. I'll update the OP when I see 'em

At the last live event in Taiwan, they Sony engineer say that it was delayed from the origional april release date, becuase of some problem with the camera(Not sure if software or hardware)

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
From what I heard, The camera software was not ready for production and it was in the diagnostics stage for the last month or so.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
At the last live event in Taiwan, they Sony engineer say that it was delayed from the origional april release date, becuase of some problem with the camera(Not sure if software or hardware)

The camera is the only reason why I'm considering this phone, since they're borrowing stuff from their mirrorless cameras.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Compact version or bust, Sony.

Come on, you can't dissapoint me... The compact line is amazing. Small phone with top of the line specs.
I was really hoping they would announce a new Compact (with headphone jack). I've been wanting to replace my XZ1 Compact because one of the speakers has a wonky connection. So, I'll just replace the speaker myself. Thanks for saving me $500+, Sony, I guess.
Stoked to see the compact version.
Take this with a very big grain of salt but there're rumors of an Xperia 4 model that is basically the replacement of the Compact. It's only a rumor right now as the source is a new and unproven source from another forum I visit, but the story did get picked up by other sites:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperi...ct_line_will_have_a_219_screen-news-36104.php

gsmarena-002.jpg

The specs and release date info are spotty and there's a question of whether the device is only meant for Japan or if it'll go global.
Any chance of a compact variant? The phone's incredible but checked on GSM Arena and it's huge. The Xperia 10 is good but also a little too big also.
Still hoping the Compact will show its head again.
It's a wrap folks. No compact this year unless you're in Japan.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2019/05/16/xperia-ace-announced-japan-exclusive-for-now/

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony's super tall Xperia 1 flagship will be available on July 12th for $949

Sony's flagship Xperia 1 handset will go on sale in the US for $949 on July 12th, the company announced today. The phone was first announced back in February, and it features a super tall 21:9 4K HDR OLED display, which Sony claims is a first for a mobile device.

That means it'll be able to show most films without the need for any letterboxing, but it will also give you extra vertical space while you're browsing Twitter or looking through your inbox. In the UK, the handset is expected to start shipping on May 30th, and retailers are currently listing it for £899.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
July that's later then here in Taiwan which should release end of mau

Twd is $30990

But there's a pre-order and buyer gift bonus

Pre-order between 5/17-5/16
Get $3000 (about 100usd)gift card to be used as a Cosby in the store
1year free replacentnon screen

Buy and register between 5/31-06/30
Get a Sony brand 10000mah battery worth $1650 Twd and 1 year free screen replacement

https://www.sony-xperia.com.tw/productdetail.aspx?id=109#/info

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
July 12! I was expecting it June! Looks like I'll be importing again this year from Clove, hope they through in some nice preorder bonus!

The funny thing the Xperia 1 SCTI30 Case is arriving in 3 days in my mailbox

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Up for pre order with the headphones on the UK O2 store now. Ordered mine in purple, releases on the 30th.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering if anyone in the US is still planning on getting this after this after the One Plus 7 Pro and discounts on the S10+ has been coming through.

I'm assuming the ONLY reason has to be the camera on the chance that they finally deliver something better than Google/Samsung/Apple?

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Just wondering if anyone in the US is still planning on getting this after this after the One Plus 7 Pro and discounts on the S10+ has been coming through.

I'm assuming the ONLY reason has to be the camera on the chance that they finally deliver something better than Google/Samsung/Apple?

I hate the Samsung software interface and that hideous hole in the screen, don't know much about 1 + brand or how durable they are. The Xperia phones software is the closest you can get to a Pixel stock Android. Since Alpha and BRAVIA teams worked closely on this phone I'm expecting some really impressive results when it comes to camera and display

I might import one from the UK on May 30 if the preorder deals are sweet enough for me to justify importing it instead of waiting a month and a half extra.