• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's $950 usd for those in the US who are still interested. Due July 12th - I'm not sure what Sony is doing... especially with no pre-order incentives.
You'd be better off importing it from Asia or the UK.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
You can't announce a phone and release it 6 months later and expect to sell a lot of them. I like Sony design and their approach to Android but come on.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's $950 usd for those in the US who are still interested. Due July 12th - I'm not sure what Sony is doing... especially with no pre-order incentives.
You'd be better off importing it from Asia or the UK.
In the UK at least if you preorder you get a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones.

EDIT: Should have read previous page before posting sorry

I actually decided just to go of it, my past three phones have been Smasungs (current one Note 9), all have had odd problems with car bluetooth and I fancied a changed. My wife got the S10 and I really dont like the hole for the front camera, I doubt they would do that on the Note 10 but again I wanted a change. Plus Knox annoys me something shocking.

Last edited:

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
You can't announce a phone and release it 6 months later and expect to sell a lot of them. I like Sony design and their approach to Android but come on.

This release is much worse than Xperia XZ2 Premium! They should have left MWC for xperia 10 and 10 plus announcements and held a private event for Xperia 1 launch! they juts did that for the sake of becoming first 4K OLED HDR (21:9) capable phone and first Eye AF in a smartphone

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I was sold more on this color after seeing this picture

dims
giphy.gif

Edit: Honestly, I'm more thinking about this for my fiancee.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

dims

One Phone to rule them all.

It's too bad the Sony Headphones bundle won't come to the US, as I'm in the market for an Xm3 at a good price. That bundle deal is unreal!.

Pre ordering the gorgeous Purple model today. Sony has the best phones and they last for years. So, this was a pretty easy choice.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's problem has always been announcing devices and then releasing them way later.

The Sony Xperia devices I have had were awesome but the delay always hurt them.

I decided to go for the Pixel 3A instead but I might pick one of these up depending how good it is

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

dims
That's a nice looking gradient-ish style. I thought it would like a flat purple. I wish they had an emerald green in this style. I'll likely go with black if I buy it.

I'm debating between the Oneplus7, X1 and a Pixel3A atm. It's a bit of a range of a budget, but I'm trying to figure out what will suit me best over the coming 3 years because I plan to use the phone for at least that long.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Sony just had their global strategy day and has confirmed that they are refocusing on Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, EU, and defocusing India, Australia, Canada, South America, Mexico, Africa, the Middle East and others regions.
0tBcz6K.png

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah that makes sense why Canada didn't get the phone for pre-order and why Sony pulled their phones from practically all carriers in recent months. It's a bummer for those regions as now they need to import it. Do you have a link to the presentation SilentPanda
Leaving markets with the whole Huawei situation is some bad timing.
Lol, couldn't be better said. This is a perfect time for them to leap in, but Sony seems adamant on just preserving what business they have instead of trying to grow it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Bummer about the news, but understandable.

Since the US is already a small presence for them, does this mean nothing changes in the US since they never really had much of a presence here? Is that what No Operator Business means (no carrier sold phones)?

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Is that what No Operator Business means (no carrier sold phones)?

That is correct, Xperia phones in the US are only sold as unlocked sim free phones. Last Xperia sold through a carrier was Xperia Z3v on Verizon Network.

The good news is that this Xperia will be the first flagship since Z3v that will support Verizon.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, couldn't be better said. This is a perfect time for them to leap in, but Sony seems adamant on just preserving what business they have instead of trying to grow it.

Bad timing indeed... But the last thing you want them is to get too excited and change their current strategy. Let them stabalize their business in it's current state first then go from there.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
That is correct, Xperia phones in the US are only sold as unlocked sim free phones. Last Xperia sold through a carrier was Xperia Z3v on Verizon Network.

The good news is that this Xperia will be the first flagship since Z3v that will support Verizon.

Yes, I remember that. Just wasn't sure that was what their wording implied. I ask because some articles online are saying North America support will be de focused, which makes no sense to me unless they stopped selling them unlocked here.

I still have my Z3V from Verizon in my drawer...it was the phone that sold me on Xperias in the first place.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I remember that. Just wasn't sure that was what their wording implied. I ask because some articles online are saying North America support will be de focused, which makes no sense to me unless they stopped selling them unlocked here.

I still have my Z3V from Verizon in my drawer...it was the phone that sold me on Xperias in the first place.

From the map posted, seems like they will still sell in the US at least for this year, but wont be their main focus. So you wont see any dedicated hubs or advertisements on the streets or in stores like in Europe, HK, TW and JP. They even removed their Display end caps at Best Buy as of recent

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bad timing indeed... But the last thing you want them is to get too excited and change their current strategy. Let them stabalize their business in it's current state first then go from there.
That's true. Hopefully they can. For all the hate we give them, the features they introduce to the market in a lot of their phones end up being copied and imitated by others. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple or Chinese manufactures come out with a 21:9 phone later this year and the market eats it up

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
That's true. Hopefully they can. For all the hate we give them, the features they introduce to the market in a lot of their phones end up being copied and imitated by others. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple or Chinese manufactures come out with a 21:9 phone later this year and the market eats it up
What features have been copied from Sony? I doubt 21:9 will become the future standard, it's just too tall. Possible that some other OEM's will release one-off models with 21:9. Also, can someone please explain how Sony still validates Sony Mobile as a worthwhile investment in their overall corporate strategy, especially with the recent news that they will only focus on EU/Japan.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the Samsung software interface and that hideous hole in the screen, don't know much about 1 + brand or how durable they are. The Xperia phones software is the closest you can get to a Pixel stock Android. Since Alpha and BRAVIA teams worked closely on this phone I'm expecting some really impressive results when it comes to camera and display

I might import one from the UK on May 30 if the preorder deals are sweet enough for me to justify importing it instead of waiting a month and a half extra.

You're aware Samsung changed their interface right? It's arguably better designed than stock Android in various areas. Maybe Android Q will change this, but stock Android doesn't mean anything these days. Yes, I'm serious.

One Plus has consistently put out solid phones that have been durable and have offered the best performance out of any Android smart phone including Pixels.

For the common person it would more wise to wait on reviews of this phone rather to blindly buy based on pontential.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What features have been copied from Sony? I doubt 21:9 will become the future standard, it's just too tall. Possible that some other OEM's will release one-off models with 21:9. Also, can someone please explain how Sony still validates Sony Mobile as a worthwhile investment in their overall corporate strategy, especially with the recent news that they will only focus on EU/Japan.
They definitely aren't as competitive as in the past but they've still brought a lot of great tech to the cellphone industry in the past few years. In recent years, they've brought in the best-in-class water resistance tech first, 3d face capture, superslow mo video, the first smarthphone watch with a built in gps and they were the first with a 4K screen. Their camera sensors are still the most sought after ones in the cellphone market for practically all the major players. If app support for 21:9 starts rolling in I think the ball will start moving faster to adoption for that ratio.

As for their reasoning on only focusing on EU/Japan, I think it's to focus on where their cellphone brand name/recognition is still strongest. They still push heavily marketing wise in the UK and Japan for their brand compared to NA. I'm not a fan of that strategy but I get why they wanna make their segment cashflow positive. Their cellphone sector was bleeding money way too fast, so it's not surprising they reigned it in.

If I do get the phone it'll have to be an import for me.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
They definitely aren't as competitive as in the past but they've still brought a lot of great tech to the cellphone industry in the past few years. In recent years, they've brought in the best-in-class water resistance tech first, 3d face capture, superslow mo video, the first smarthphone watch with a built in gps and they were the first with a 4K screen. Their camera sensors are still the most sought after ones in the cellphone market for practically all the major players. If app support for 21:9 starts rolling in I think the ball will start moving faster to adoption for that ratio.

As for their reasoning on only focusing on EU/Japan, I think it's to focus on where their cellphone brand name/recognition is still strongest. They still push heavily marketing wise in the UK and Japan for their brand compared to NA. I'm not a fan of that strategy but I get why they wanna make their segment cashflow positive. Their cellphone sector was bleeding money way too fast, so it's not surprising they reigned it in.

If I do get the phone it'll have to be an import for me.

I always thought their designs with port-flaps (which I assume was because water resistance) was a bad and ugly solution. Whenever I've seen such devices in the wild the flaps have been torn off. 3D face capture is just a gimmick mentioned in reviews, never seen it implemented by other OEM's or used by anyone. Their first to 4K was neat I guess but at that time DPI was already sufficiently high that it wasn't really a useful feature but again more of a gimmick. The 21:9 display feels like the same in that regard. The camera-business is separate from Sony Mobile and they've struggled for ages to make as good a use of the Sony-sensors as many of their mobile-competitors.

I get why they would want to focus on EU/JP given the state of their other markets, especially the US. However, given that their mobile division is in such a dire state (and have been for years), what values or synergies are Sony seeing from this division that makes it worth keeping at all? They aren't competitive in the global mobile-market and sales are as marginal as they've ever been. Their phones have failed historically at being any kind of halo-device for their camera-sensor business, not that they need it as Sony-sensors are flying off the shelves as-is. Not sure what synergy they have with their TV/Display-business. I know they've used their Bravia-engine software previously but that isn't a thing anymore AFAIK. Are Sony even producing their own display-hardware these days? Their services (Playstation, Music, Movies/TV) would be better off being hardware agnostic and being on all mobile-devices so tying it to their underperforming mobile-brand is not a useful strategy.

Disclaimer: Not meaning to completely shit on Sony Mobile here, I have appreciated and owned several of their phones. Especially like their Compact-phones and them pushing small form-factor phones when nobody else does.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
You're aware Samsung changed their interface right? It's arguably better designed than stock Android in various areas. Maybe Android Q will change this, but stock Android doesn't mean anything these days. Yes, I'm serious.

One Plus has consistently put out solid phones that have been durable and have offered the best performance out of any Android smart phone including Pixels.

For the common person it would more wise to wait on reviews of this phone rather to blindly buy based on pontential.

Yes, I'm fully aware :) It evolved from "Touch Wiz" to the more streamlined "One" UI. Even though it changed still not a big fan of the Fisher Price style icons and the bold colors they use. Looks too cartoonsh to my taste, and themes never been an option I would consider. I just prefer the default or stock UI that Google uses.

Android software updates are slow as hell too. My Xperia XZ Premium and XZ2 received their Android 8 and 9 updates 5-6 months before the S8 and S9. Hope it changes when it comes to Android 10 update!

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Yes, I'm fully aware :) It evolved from "Touch Wiz" to the more streamlined "One" UI. Even though it changed still not a big fan of the Fisher Price style icons and the bold colors they use. Looks too cartoonsh to my taste, and themes never been an option I would consider. I just prefer the default or stock UI that Google uses.

Android software updates are slow as hell too. My Xperia XZ Premium and XZ2 received their Android 8 and 9 updates 5-6 months before the S8 and S9. Hope it changes when it comes to Android 10 update!
When is the last time you used an Android Samsung interface? How are these icons "Fisher Price"?

samsung-galaxy-s9-one-ui-icons.jpg

Pretty standard flat icons with muted colours and a quirky squircle shape. The rest of the UI on my Samsung phone with One UI is OLED-black with an in-offensive blue as accent so not sure what you're meaning with the bold colours again. Sounds like you are referencing the TouchWiz of yore, cirka S5-period. More OneUI:

one-ui-dark-100788737-large.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I always thought their designs with port-flaps (which I assume was because water resistance) was a bad and ugly solution. Whenever I've seen such devices in the wild the flaps have been torn off. 3D face capture is just a gimmick mentioned in reviews, never seen it implemented by other OEM's or used by anyone. Their first to 4K was neat I guess but at that time DPI was already sufficiently high that it wasn't really a useful feature but again more of a gimmick. The 21:9 display feels like the same in that regard. The camera-business is separate from Sony Mobile and they've struggled for ages to make as good a use of the Sony-sensors as many of their mobile-competitors.

I get why they would want to focus on EU/JP given the state of their other markets, especially the US. However, given that their mobile division is in such a dire state (and have been for years), what values or synergies are Sony seeing from this division that makes it worth keeping at all? They aren't competitive in the global mobile-market and sales are as marginal as they've ever been. Their phones have failed historically at being any kind of halo-device for their camera-sensor business, not that they need it as Sony-sensors are flying off the shelves as-is. Not sure what synergy they have with their TV/Display-business. I know they've used their Bravia-engine software previously but that isn't a thing anymore AFAIK. Are Sony even producing their own display-hardware these days? Their services (Playstation, Music, Movies/TV) would be better off being hardware agnostic and being on all mobile-devices so tying it to their underperforming mobile-brand is not a useful strategy.

Disclaimer: Not meaning to completely shit on Sony Mobile here, I have appreciated and owned several of their phones. Especially like their Compact-phones and them pushing small form-factor phones when nobody else does.
This is intended to change with the Xperia 1. Essentially, Sony Alpha intentionally restricted Sony Mobile from accessing its camera technologies for fear of Xperias cannibalizing sales of their digital cameras, but now Sony Mobile has been moved under the same umbrella as Sony Alpha, with the two sharing technology.

XDA-Developers:

During the interview, we learned that there were internal barriers between the camera and smartphone teams. This resulted in data and information that wasn't allowed to be passed between teams. Since a lot of the photo quality of a smartphone camera has to do with post-processing, this was a huge issue for their smartphone team.

This decision was made because the company did not want to cannibalize its more expensive Alpha cameras. They thought that if their smartphones were taking good enough photos then they would lose sales of their regular cameras. However, we have learned that with the Xperia 1 the teams are now allowed to have a much closer collaboration which should result in better photos compared to previous Xperia devices.

Digital Camera World:

With the change in leadership last year, some company restructuring took place: Sony's Mobile division is now under the same umbrella as Imaging, with Alpha's Kimio Maki heading up product development.

"He said, 'Okay, so we work with Alpha here, let's take this bit, we work with the CineAlta brand, let's bring this bit,'" Marsh told Trusted Reviews (hat tip Sony Rumors). "He opened up the whole of digital imaging for us… Because that imaging team is all together, they can share that experience across Cybershot, Alpha and Xperia."

Sony Mobile:

Precision autofocus technologies taken from our Alpha range of cameras keep your photos in focus—even in scenes with fast movement. It's the professional Sony® camera experience in your smartphone.

This new BIONZ X® for mobile image-processing engine brings Sony's Alpha technologies to Xperia®. With new RAW noise reduction and the world's first Eye AF (Auto Focus) and 10FPS AF/AE (Auto Focus and Auto Exposure) it gives you precision focus for striking portraits and high speed shooting.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
They also began incorporating Bravia software technology into their phones when switching to OLED screens with the XZ3s late last year (mainly for "upgrading" SDR content to look better on an HDR screen).

That makes the Xperia 1 the first phone to utilize considerable technology from all of Sony's other major hardware divisions. It's taken a long time to get there given how long ago the Sony-Ericsson partnership ended.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
They also began incorporating Bravia software technology into their phones when switching to OLED screens with the XZ3s late last year (mainly for "upgrading" SDR content to look better on an HDR screen).

That makes the Xperia 1 the first phone to utilize considerable technology from all of Sony's other major hardware divisions. It's taken a long time to get there given how long ago the Sony-Ericsson partnership ended.
They should have done that from the start.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(I know this is an old OP)

Didn't know SOny's keyboard looke so much like an iPhone keyboard

J7ShS7N.png

gf0esn1l.png
Yeah that's Gboard. It has two options for customizations. 1. With the "Bubble" around each letter. 2. Without the "bubble" around each letter (which I prefer, I think it looks cleaner) there are also color (themes) options to choose from in the settings.

Here's option 2:

nexus2cee_gboard.jpg

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
This is intended to change with the Xperia 1. Essentially, Sony Alpha intentionally restricted Sony Mobile from accessing its camera technologies for fear of Xperias cannibalizing sales of their digital cameras, but now Sony Mobile has been moved under the same umbrella as Sony Alpha, with the two sharing technology.

Interesting. However, at this point I would ask what do Sony Mobile actually bring to the table? So they are finally figuring out how to utilize tech from their other branches and bringing it to Mobile but what do Mobile bring to the rest of the branches? Android/Software know-how? Is the hardware business necessary for that? At this point Sony Mobile has been in free-fall for years and they have been forced to bow out of every market except EU/JP and are projected to sell a total of five million units in 2019 worldwide. How can they even get out of that slump and how is it worthwhile pumping money into a venture like that?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Interesting. However, at this point I would ask what do Sony Mobile actually bring to the table? So they are finally figuring out how to utilize tech from their other branches and bringing it to Mobile but what do Mobile bring to the rest of the branches? Android/Software know-how? Is the hardware business necessary for that? At this point Sony Mobile has been in free-fall for years and they have been forced to bow out of every market except EU/JP and are projected to sell a total of five million units in 2019 worldwide. How can they even get out of that slump and how is it worthwhile pumping money into a venture like that?

Two reason given by Sony why they stay in Smartphone
Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki
5G, is one of the reason, they don't want to depend on foreign company to provide it
"I would like to say a few things about the importance of 5G wireless technology in the context of our strategy for the smartphone business going forward. By enabling high-speed communication, low-latency and simultaneous connectivity, 5G, which is expected to be commercialized in the near future, is a technology which we view as having immense potential, since it can connect all portable devices to the cloud.
"In order to fully utilize this leading-edge technology, we need to retain in-house our fundamental research capability and capability to create related applications. By continuing to work on 5G in our smartphone business, we are aiming to develop 5G technology as a competency that can be used across the Sony Group."​
CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said, "we see smartphones as hardware for entertainment and a component necessary to make our hardware brand sustainable. And younger generations no longer watch TV. Their first touch point is smartphone."

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Two reason given by Sony why they stay in Smartphone
Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki
5G, is one of the reason, they don't want to depend on foreign company to provide it
"I would like to say a few things about the importance of 5G wireless technology in the context of our strategy for the smartphone business going forward. By enabling high-speed communication, low-latency and simultaneous connectivity, 5G, which is expected to be commercialized in the near future, is a technology which we view as having immense potential, since it can connect all portable devices to the cloud.​
"In order to fully utilize this leading-edge technology, we need to retain in-house our fundamental research capability and capability to create related applications. By continuing to work on 5G in our smartphone business, we are aiming to develop 5G technology as a competency that can be used across the Sony Group."​
CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said, "we see smartphones as hardware for entertainment and a component necessary to make our hardware brand sustainable. And younger generations no longer watch TV. Their first touch point is smartphone."
So they are going to leverage 5G to build their IoT-portfolio... Is there anything inherent with 5G that allows for SIM-less devices or eSIM? Because I doubt people are going to load their fridges and TV's with SIM-cards and data-plans, unless I'm missing something. I really don't see how 5G is going to be anymore revolutionary to IoT than existing 4G, especially for the home-market. Do you have a link to the source of that 5G-quote? Would be interesting to read the whole thing :)

I read the article with that second argument/quote. Really it's nothing more than "mobile is the future so we should have a stake", disregarding that they are basically non-existant in the mobil-market and have no hope or strategy of improving their numbers. Younger generations' first touch point is not going to be an Xperia. Yoshida also says "We see smartphones as hardware for entertainment and a component necessary to make our hardware brand sustainable," . Problem is that brand-recognition of Xperia and Sony in the mobile-market is again pretty much non-existant and has been for years.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
When I went to Fukuoka for EVO Japan thsi year, I noticed two phones while I was up there used by people on trains and walking around etc. iPhones and Xperias. Saw no Samsung Galaxy phones or anything else. Just iPhones and Xperias. In Bic Camera, the mobile floor was filled with Xperia and iPhone accesories. Guessing Xperias are still popular in the home country which makes sense.

I wish they were more popular in the US.