• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having really difficulty adjusting to the side mounted finger print reader, this might be down to me not being used to it, I've registered 4 different prints and it seems very hit and miss.

On my Sony phones with side finger print readers, I found it worked best to register the same finger that you want to use for unlocking multiple times, as though they were different fingers. Try that.

The reader may also be unreliable if your finger is is wet or sweaty.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look's like there's a ton of media on the phone out now.

OK I haven't get a chance to really mess around however here is a few quick (personal!) points:
  • Going back to a screen which is flat is great, I've been using phone with curved sides and while they look pretty the can 100% distort an image at the edges.
  • Not having a hole in the screen for the camera is good! Wife has an s10 and I really don't care what anyone says having a black hole on a white background or when scrolling trough a website is stupid as fuck.
  • I'm having really difficulty adjusting to the side mounted finger print reader, this might be down to me not being used to it, I've registered 4 different prints and it seems very hit and miss.
  • I was worried after reading some online previews about this size and 'pocket-ability' of the phone, coming from a Note 9 this phone is so much nicer in the hand and pocket.
  • Talking about size the height of the screen hasn't really been an issue with apps, the only one which had black bars was google authenticator, all other app work not problems (I haven't tried games).
  • Netflix refuses to install…
  • The screen… wow, coming from a Note 9 I wasn't really expecting much of a difference but flicking Creator mode is like night and day. It's like when you have a TV correctly calibrated and the image is just so much better.
  • Phone is snappy as fuck, Note 9 was no slouch but this feels so much faster.
  • Im digging Sonys OS launcher design, its pretty much stock android but its so clean, nicer than Samsungs new One UI (which isn't bad).
  • However there doesn't seem to be a system dark mode…
  • I kinda wish that there was an option to have SMS/email/etc sorted with newest closest to the keyboard, I've wanted this for a long time but with the extra height this was be a real boon.
  • Sony still have such random apps that cannot be uninstalled, why Sony!?
  • Haven't had a chance to play with the camera.
I haven't been able to register for the free headphones, I keep getting an error that my IMEI is incorrect, anyone else in the UK having this problem?
Thanks for the impressions. Most of that sounds positive.
-hopefully the Netflix issue is resolved quick, cause that's one of the selling points for me
-I don't normally use dark mode but I wanted to switch to it for my next phone to preserve more OLED life
-That's a smart QoL feature. Is there any other custom OS's that do that?
-That's a slight bummer. What extra bloat is there?

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look's like there's a ton of media on the phone out now.

Thanks for the impressions. Most of that sounds positive.
-hopefully the Netflix issue is resolved quick, cause that's one of the selling points for me
-I don't normally use dark mode but I wanted to switch to it for my next phone to preserve more OLED life
-That's a smart QoL feature. Is there any other custom OS's that do that?
-That's a slight bummer. What extra bloat is there?
In regards to the dark mode some of the system apps have it, SMS, Album and Music of the top of my head. In regards to bloat its not horrible, dumb stuff that I have no interest in like the Fortnite installer... like... why can I not remove that lol.

I might try and find a netflix apk file, its odd as it says installed successfully but just doesn't, when I check the store it's at 'install' rather then 'open'.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
But with that case, won't you not have to clean it anyways?

The Samsungs have other unique benefits to them like Dex Mode and you are guaranteed more updates/software support from the standard screen ratios.
Thanks. Dex mode isn't something I'm interested in, but lack of updates and support is a concern.
OK I haven't get a chance to really mess around however here is a few quick (personal!) points:
  • Going back to a screen which is flat is great, I've been using phone with curved sides and while they look pretty the can 100% distort an image at the edges.
  • Not having a hole in the screen for the camera is good! Wife has an s10 and I really don't care what anyone says having a black hole on a white background or when scrolling trough a website is stupid as fuck.
  • I'm having really difficulty adjusting to the side mounted finger print reader, this might be down to me not being used to it, I've registered 4 different prints and it seems very hit and miss.
  • I was worried after reading some online previews about this size and 'pocket-ability' of the phone, coming from a Note 9 this phone is so much nicer in the hand and pocket.
  • Talking about size the height of the screen hasn't really been an issue with apps, the only one which had black bars was google authenticator, all other app work not problems (I haven't tried games).
  • The screen… wow, coming from a Note 9 I wasn't really expecting much of a difference but flicking Creator mode is like night and day. It's like when you have a TV correctly calibrated and the image is just so much better.
  • Im digging Sonys OS launcher design, its pretty much stock android but its so clean, nicer than Samsungs new One UI (which isn't bad).
  • I kinda wish that there was an option to have SMS/email/etc sorted with newest closest to the keyboard, I've wanted this for a long time but with the extra height this was be a real boon.
I haven't been able to register for the free headphones, I keep getting an error that my IMEI is incorrect, anyone else in the UK having this problem?
Thank you for the impressions. I'm very close to getting this over an S10+

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. Dex mode isn't something I'm interested in, but lack of updates and support is a concern.

S10+ is a great phone no doubt about it, my wife loves her S10 and I've had the S8+, S9+ and Note 9. My biggest issue with them was bluetooth connectivity.

All three phone had issues with my Mazda 6 where it would take about 10 mins from start to have actually connect and be usable.I change cars to a Jag, same sort of problems with the Note 9. It would connect-disconnect for 10-15 mins at the beginning of every journey. I tested the car with an old Windows phone, no issues. So far the Xperia has worked flawlessly.

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really curious about the battery life.
I reluctantly went from a XZ1 to iPhone X because of that, so I'm looking for any reason to come back, haha.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017

I had the same problem, I was off work today for my delivery and started on the beers a little delivery but I sorted it, just a little shakey on the order. I tried the options that are suggested after the failed install but the didnt work. It does seem to download but the installation does not finish, but if you go into the phone settings then apps and notifications, you will find Netflix, disable and force stop Netflix. Go back to the play store and install again. After this I opened Netflix, it said I had to update, install the update and it worked.

The headphone problem I had as well, I just tried again a few hours later and it worked.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Got mines delivered today. Wow is the screen big and beautiful. Definitely going to take some time to get used to the big size but it looks amazing.

Only gripe is the Gboard. Preferred the Xperia Keyboard

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017

Xperia phones gets monthly security updates. At least for 2 years. Also, they are one of the first Android OEM manufacturer that rolls out new version Android after Google Pixel devices, much much faster than LG and Samsung.

So I wouldn't be concerned about software updates.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
As someone who had a Z5 and XZ1 with a sidemounted fingerprint sensor and currently has an XZ3 with a back mounted sensor, I think this is due to the size of the sensor. The side sensor on the Z5/XZ1 was super spotty and required very specific finger placement to get it to work, while the back sensor on my XZ3 works almost 100% of the time.

Which is disappointing, because I love the placement on the side.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017

Congrats on the phone!
  1. Flat screen is big welcome, I have the XZ3 and the curved display looks nice big its not practical. I keep accidentally opening apps on the edge of the screen.
  2. That hole in the screen is big no no for me, looks stupid AF!
  3. I'll take a side mounted fingerprint over the rear! my XZ3 is pain to unlock because of the rear fingerprint scanner. Its hard to unlock the phone sitting on the table without lifting it up! Try registering multiple fingerprints using the same finger.
  4. The size is not that much bigger than a note 9 its skinnier and should be easier to hold (Click for size comparison)
  5. Do the media apps such as Music and Album look weird on it? Also, can you try remote play app and see how it performs and displays if you have a PS4. Also, is it easy to launch multi-screen view on this phone?
  6. Thats odd! Usually they come pre-installed!
  7. The screen is the main reason I am getting this phone! Glad to hear it looks stunning!
  8. Expected from 855 snapdragon
  9. Launcher is similar to the pill launcher on pixel phones. Haven't played around much with it, but good to hear its easy to use.
  10. As far as I know its only available for Android messages, YouTube, Music and Album apps on Sony devices
  11. "SMS/email/etc sorted" Can you elaborate on this?
  12. I find Sony media apps are the best in the market, specially the Music and Album apps! It actually varies by region, which apps are pre-installed?
  13. Please test this out when you get a chance. I'm mostly concerned about video recording and picture quality when it comes to taking pictures of food lol

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Gsmarena is OG.

They have came in handy for me over the years, since the early 2000s.

I'm really glad they have been able to adjust with the times and stay relevant. (if not the leader?)

Most of the times, these original websites from the 2000s get passed over by others...and don't cash in like they deserve to.

:(

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Got mines delivered today. Wow is the screen big and beautiful. Definitely going to take some time to get used to the big size but it looks amazing.

Only gripe is the Gboard. Preferred the Xperia Keyboard
Just go download Xperia Keyboard apk, it is the first thing I did when I bought my new Xperia, works flawlessly

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Gsmarena is OG.

They have came in handy for me over the years, since the early 2000s.

I'm really glad they have been able to adjust with the times and stay relevant. (if not the leader?)

Most of the times, these original websites from the 2000s get passed over by others...and don't cash in like they deserve to.

:(

Gsmarena is also great for considering international phones too since they have a very wide reach.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Supposedly an update for the Xperia 1 coming out on the 6th. Don't know specifically what it addresses yet.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Have you done this one the Xperia 1? If so is there a way to do it officially?
I have done it on my XZ3, I don't think there is official way to do it but really the apk is just repack of the Xperia Keyboard from the old phone you won't notice anything there is no new icon or anything you just go to settings keyboard and you will see a new keyboard option beside the G-board. I have been using it since day 1 it feels like a built-in feature

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I really hope it doesn't take long for Sony Mobile to get their affairs sorted out so they can begin expanding again. Now that there's more collaboration between that division and Sony as a whole I'm hoping the expansion can happen as early as next year.

And as always, still REALLY hoping for some PlayStation crossover action in some way, shape or form. I'd give my nipples to be able to eventually play PS5 games on a spiritual successor to the Xperia Play over 5G. Give it a folding screen too, just for compactness and portability :D

EDIT

Looks like the GSM Arena review shouldn't be too far away. They've already got the Xperia 1 loaded into their photo comparison tool for those who want to check it out. I have it compared against the Galaxy S10+ and iPhone XS Max but you can choose whatever you want from the list

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 1 is so tempting, but it's too tall and no 3.5 jack. I might as well get an iphone X/XS or Pixel 3 at that rate.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, great review overall. Wonder why Sony is sticking to no 3.5in on the high end phones but the mid range gets them still. Maybe it's an actual space issue inside.

I don't think is a space issue. I think it's sony being sony. Hell, how cam they justify a 3300mah inside that large body?

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
GSMArena updated their score from 4.6 to 4.2 due to the outcry of fanboys in the comments section. But here is what they wrote:

"Update: We found an error in the review score calculation. One of the sub-scores was doubled by mistake and some of our readers were quick to spot that something was wrong. This has now been corrected and it led to devaluation of the score from 4.6 to 4.2."

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GSMArena updated their score from 4.6 to 4.2 due to the outcry of fanboys in the comments section. But here is what they wrote:

"Update: We found an error in the review score calculation. One of the sub-scores was doubled by mistake and some of our readers were quick to spot that something was wrong. This has now been corrected and it led to devaluation of the score from 4.6 to 4.2."
It dropped but 0.4... brb gonna see if mine is still within the return window!

EDIT: While I'm back in this thread has anyone found any wet applied screen protectors for this phone? They are my favourite. Currently I have just a normal screen protector on but it's not great (lifting at the bottom), I did have a tempered glass one a week or so ago however same issue.

EDIT 2: After taking advice from you guys I registered the same fingerprint a few times... omg where has side mounted fingerprinter readers been all my life!?! Thanks guys.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
It dropped but 0.4... brb gonna see if mine is still within the return window!

EDIT: While I'm back in this thread has anyone found any wet applied screen protectors for this phone? They are my favourite. Currently I have just a normal screen protector on but it's not great (lifting at the bottom), I did have a tempered glass one a week or so ago however same issue.

EDIT 2: After taking advice from you guys I registered the same fingerprint a few times... omg where has side mounted fingerprinter readers been all my life!?! Thanks guys.

Glad the fingerprint issue is fixed! I agree having it on the side is much easier than the back. I cant unlock my XZ3 without lifting it off the table (super annoying!)

Dunno about any wet application screen protector, I bought a set made by Olixar from Mobilefun but turned out to be dry application, which I don't mind! If I find something ill let you know.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
More comments from GSMArena staff regarding the score change posted by Kaloyan:

"Our scoring system is internal, you see only the final number. I tried to explain why a mistake was possible. That's it. You can't see the subscores, they have never been public, and whether you decide to believe the reviewer or not - it's up to you. The same thing happened once before - with the iPhone X review.

And people did notice the higher than expected score - both readers and fellow colleagues, and so we sat down and went through the calculation once more and found what's wrong.

Finally! It's just a number. It doesn't change none of the review findings. The review is still the same, and still describes the best Sony phone we've seen so far, and without a doubt - worth having right now. "

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I really miss the side fingerprint readers found on the sony phones. My old XZ unlocks much faster than my new Samsung's A50's in screen fingerprint sensor. Might have something to do with the A50 being lower end phone I guess lol.