• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
My phone shipment got delayed again! I called BB and they have more demand for the Purple variant than what they have in stock! I have to wait for second wave of shipment! Might as well wait for IFA!

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it looks like I'm not getting a new phone this year...

Because Sony Alpha just announced a camera event tomorrow!

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating between spending $1300 on this, or spending $900 on a HTC U12+. 🤔 Both have some cool shit.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating between spending $1300 on this, or spending $900 on a HTC U12+. 🤔 Both have some cool shit.
HTC is barely in business. And as far as I know, they haven't updated the U12+ in some time.

Even if the Xperia 1 needs some work, it's arguably the better buy since it's guaranteed it'll be updated. Plus the software, hardware is newer. The cost will hurt but the long run will be worth it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phone came in and I put it through a bunch of testing yesterday

-UI is silky smooth. I can open/close apps lighting quick and I can toggle between them really fast.
-The fingerprint scanner feels snappy to me(I must be on the latest firmware because I heard earlier reviews saying they wish it was faster).
-I'm not ultra keen on the keyboard in wide mode (but that's a common complaint I have on all phones).
-The multi app function is so much easier and snappier to use with a dedicated shortcut compared to Samsung phones. I say this as someone who heavily used it before on a Samsung.
-Gaming on 21:9 rocks in the apps that support it. I'm baffled at how smooth Fortnite, Asphalt and PUBG seem to run. It's embarrassing looking back at playing PUBG on a console now. I don't mind the game enhancer icon however I'm sure it'll bother some people. I do think they need to allow it to be toggled off or on with some sort of shortcut because it would be hindersome if we ever get proper cinematic games on phones.
-The OLED is beautiful but it doesn't reach the same brightness levels of something like an S10(I have an S10 as well), however I love the color profile of the screen.
-Camera has produced pleasing photos for me however the S10 beats it out in some areas like the bokeh effect. I really dig the eye auto-focus because it makes the burst shot function actually useful on a cellphone for once. I do wish the Ultra wide lens was even more versatile than it is. Even with the cinema pro app it isn't as versatile as the other 2 lens. I wouldn't call it a major disappointment for the uses I'll mainly have for the lens(outdoor daytime shots) but I do wish it was better. I heard the nighttime photography was decent on the Xperia 1 but I've found that to be the opposite. I'll install the google pixel's nighttime app and see if that helps later this week, but as it stands I couldn't get any pleasing night time shots from the phone.
-The aspect ratio is amazing for films and is wonderful fore multitasking for me. I find the trade off of not having a fullscreen on 16:9 vids worth it(even if the majority of youtube is in that ratio). The issues I do have are for other apps like Instagram and Snapchat which seem to crop the sides of the videos/images of stories & snaps I view. Slight dealbreaker for me and I hope IG updates the app to just fit it inside the screen with a black bar instead of cropping. Games are a big issue the phone has(older ones in particular where developers didn't have the foresight to add 21:9 options.... which is perfectly understandable). As mentioned earlier though, the games that do support it rock. If more games start supporting 21:9 this phone will benefit a ton from it but I wouldn't personally count on that if I were buying this phones for games. I'll have to test more apps but most other apps I've tested have worked perfectly with 21:9 so far, so as far as productivity and movie watching goes, this phone is hitting all the right marks for me.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've learnt it's not officially for sale in Canada...how does this work for warranty? I just don't get one? Or I'd have to ship it back to country of origin in order to use it?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Mine came in as well. I took it to Cricket along with my pos flip-phone and they switched the sim card for me. I am not going to mess with it too much until the 512g V30 card arrives. Holding it in my hand, it does feel right. It is smaller then my Vita, although a little heavier. I look forward to trying out PPSSPP on it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I also wanna add that I regret getting a flip cover case. Go for a standard case + screen protector instead if you are deciding what case to get

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which flip cover case did you get?
The official Sony one. It's cumbersome when trying to shoot photos/video as it's just dangling under(can't fold it over like I do when I'm using the phone in landscape mode for anything else). Also trying to enter inputs through the cover's touch capacitive screen is really hit or miss in terms of registering inputs

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I could use a new phone this year, and this thing makes me want to switch from Apple. However, I'll get ~$700 Canadian from Orchard for my current 256GB X. Do Sony's phones hold that kind of resale value? At this point, that's just about the only thing keeping me from switching. I love iOS, but Apple's hardware is fucking stale, especially compared to a phone like this, or the new OnePlus.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested in buying the black variant for a bit off retail, I made a post in the b/s/t thread. Lovely phone but my hands aren't meant for this 🤣

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could use a new phone this year, and this thing makes me want to switch from Apple. However, I'll get ~$700 Canadian from Orchard for my current 256GB X. Do Sony's phones hold that kind of resale value? At this point, that's just about the only thing keeping me from switching. I love iOS, but Apple's hardware is fucking stale, especially compared to a phone like this, or the new OnePlus.

No not at all. Well any Android phone except for Samsungs which don't fall that much as other Android phones.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
No not at all. Well any Android phone except for Samsungs which don't fall that much as other Android phones.

Ugh, I thought as much. The Apple Tax rebate (as I have just decided to call it) is a super compelling reason to stick with them. But man do I wish they'd make something as rad as this thing. The slim-but-long design is such a great way to increase one-handed usability while still increasing screen size.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Headphones arrived. They are super comfy and nice. I also picked up a Spigen case and it really makes the Xperia 1 easier to hold and the buttons easier to push. I dont have a screen protector yet. What do you all recommend?

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
The official Sony one. It's cumbersome when trying to shoot photos/video as it's just dangling under(can't fold it over like I do when I'm using the phone in landscape mode for anything else). Also trying to enter inputs through the cover's touch capacitive screen is really hit or miss in terms of registering inputs

I received my phone today, happy with it so far! love the screen but its dimmer than my XZ3! I tried the Style Cover touch case, its not bad but I have one issue with it! I got black spots on the cover and looks like its fused inside the silicon clear cover! Do you have that problem with yours? When I close the case and use it looks like black dead pixels on the screen (very annoying!)

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017

I always upgrade my xperia phones every year. I tend to sell them around 50-60% of the original price even though they are used in excellent condition, I through in a couple of freebies like a case or SD card to sweeten the deal

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking about getting this temper glass screen TopACE
Too complicated for me. I just had my local cell phone shop apply a liquid glass solution to mine.

This is my first android device (not counting my Chromebook). I kind of dont like the default android UI. Luckily I found Microsoft Launcher and I like it much better. Overall, I am fairly satisfied with the Xperia. Hopefully it lasts a good 5 years, because I dont plan to replace every two years.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I received my phone today, happy with it so far! love the screen but its dimmer than my XZ3! I tried the Style Cover touch case, its not bad but I have one issue with it! I got black spots on the cover and looks like its fused inside the silicon clear cover! Do you have that problem with yours? When I close the case and use it looks like black dead pixels on the screen (very annoying!)
I haven't had that issue. I"m only bothered by the case when trying to take photos at this point

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
So, this is Sony's latest voice recorder which has a bunch of good reviews.

71RLKej1u1L._SL1500_.jpg

I want to use the Xperia to record video (school stuff) and put this on myself (with clippy microphone) to record the audio. I believe that is the correct way to make sure that the audio is clearly heard, while the Xperia should record good quality video. I think I will have to edit the sound and video file together afterward. I have not done this before, but am I on the right track so far?

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I sent in my Xperia XZ2 for repair, and they lost it somewhere in their sorting process. Now they gave me 799 euros to buy a new phone. Honestly, I've been looking forward to the Xperia 2, because supposedly it has wireless charging, which I loved. But unfortunately it wasn't announced at IFA.
Now my question is, when do you think it will release?
Or would I be better off with pre-ordering a Xperia 5 (which is 799 and comes with those incredible wireless earphones, which I wanted)?
Now, I know the Xperia 2 will also be more expensive than 799, but if the wait isn't that long, I might just pass on the Xperia 5.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I sent in my Xperia XZ2 for repair, and they lost it somewhere in their sorting process. Now they gave me 799 euros to buy a new phone. Honestly, I've been looking forward to the Xperia 2, because supposedly it has wireless charging, which I loved. But unfortunately it wasn't announced at IFA.
Now my question is, when do you think it will release?
Or would I be better off with pre-ordering a Xperia 5 (which is 799 and comes with those incredible wireless earphones, which I wanted)?
Now, I know the Xperia 2 will also be more expensive than 799, but if the wait isn't that long, I might just pass on the Xperia 5.

I would prob go for the 5. Though as soon as you order it, the 2 will be surprise announced lol.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, this is Sony's latest voice recorder which has a bunch of good reviews.

71RLKej1u1L._SL1500_.jpg

I want to use the Xperia to record video (school stuff) and put this on myself (with clippy microphone) to record the audio. I believe that is the correct way to make sure that the audio is clearly heard, while the Xperia should record good quality video. I think I will have to edit the sound and video file together afterward. I have not done this before, but am I on the right track so far?

This is beautiful.

KBadOne

Oct 28, 2017
Got a notification for new system update - is this the latest version of Android? Android 10?

Android 10 won't be out till Oct/Nov. This is the update log for the Sept firmware

– Improved Stability of connecting Bluetooth headset signal (especially in AAC connection mode)

– Improved background control capability, optimize power saving of native system

– Improved preview speed of camera interface and camera stability

– Improved zoom framing and image quality

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Just had 55.0.A.10.26 software update installed - does anyone know what this does and is it Android 10?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
As my first smart phone, this has been good. Although, I worry about the battery. I like being able to read manga and novels with the Kindle App, but I worry that using it too much is going to kill the battery. I want this phone to last at least 4-5 years, but I have a feeling the battery wont hold a charge past 2 years. Is battery replacement pretty simple?

Also, the headphones that came with the deal are amazing.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
As my first smart phone, this has been good. Although, I worry about the battery. I like being able to read manga and novels with the Kindle App, but I worry that using it too much is going to kill the battery. I want this phone to last at least 4-5 years, but I have a feeling the battery wont hold a charge past 2 years. Is battery replacement pretty simple?

Also, the headphones that came with the deal are amazing.

4-5 years seems quite optimistic. Three for sure. Batteries aren't removable so you'd have to send it to Sony or have someone familiar with the Xperias do it. It would be easier to replace the phone.