• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. Sony has some amazing mirrorless cameras. They have the tech to do it
Google surpassed their competition due to their computational photography being light years ahead of everyone else, and not strictly their phone camera sensor quality(which Sony BTW). Just look at the results of night sight from Google. It's mind blowing.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Google surpassed their competition due to their computational photography being light years ahead of everyone else, and not strictly their phone camera sensor quality(which Sony BTW). Just look at the results of night sight from Google. It's mind blowing.

You're vastly overstating their computational photography. There's no magic sauce that magically makes their photos that much better.

Computational photography is best suited for things like image stacking and image-specific processing, such as light-painting modes, astrophotography, and so on. Otherwise it's just color science and sharpening.

edit: Super-upscaling is another one, but that falls more under AI image processing than photography.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You're vastly overstating their computational photography. There's no magic sauce that magically makes their photos that much better.

Computational photography is best suited for things like image stacking and image-specific processing, such as light-painting modes, astrophotography, and so on. Otherwise it's just color science and sharpening.

edit: Super-upscaling is another one, but that falls more under AI image processing than photography.
Except the fact that Googles wipes the competition with the quality of their image processing. They don't have superior sensors to competitors but they still produce better images. You are claiming it's that I am overestimating without providing any evidence. The Pixel 2/3 have plenty to show for on the web.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Except the fact that Googles wipes the competition with the quality of their image processing. They don't have superior sensors to competitors but they still produce better images. You are claiming it's that I am overestimating without providing any evidence. The Pixel 2/3 have plenty to show for on the web.

There are a lot reviews out there that support what I'm saying, but I'll choose this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgOYaUuiSc&list=PLJw2-YrAPHYEA1uimd6P7oqtZGCItycAN&index=3&t=0s

Like I mentioned, a lot of it is just comes down to color science for the Pixel. And even that's a later review of the P20 Pro too, because other cameras at that time were already leapfrogging the Pixel -- Note 9 and Mate 20 Pro come to mind. (edit: Can't forget the XS Max!)

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Umm, I'm sorry but I'm pretty certain every single one of these comparisons is fake. These people put out comparisons like this all the time when a phone is announced. As of right now there absolutely no verified picture or video media from the Xperia 1's camera.

If a camera comparison can't prove to me that they have the actual device in hand I don't pay them much attention. I've seen more than enough videos like this to just ignore them now. It's also worth keeping in mind the phone isn't out til late Spring, it's not finalized yet. Sony isn't giving these phones to anyone to go take samples like this.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, I'm sorry but I'm pretty certain every single one of these comparisons is fake. These people put out comparisons like this all the time when a phone is announced. As of right now there absolutely no verified picture or video media from the Xperia 1's camera.

If a camera comparison can't prove to me that they have the actual device in hand I don't pay them much attention. I've seen more than enough videos like this to just ignore them now. It's also worth keeping in mind the phone isn't out til late Spring, it's not finalized yet. Sony isn't giving these phones to anyone to go take samples like this.

That's very true. There was a phone near the end of last year where a lot of Youtubers were running around with the same leaked photos.

I'm trying to remember which phone it was for the life of me.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That's very true. There was a phone near the end of last year where a lot of Youtubers were running around with the same leaked photos.

I'm trying to remember which phone it was for the life of me.

Yeah, believe me I used to get suckered into these videos when the previous Xperias were announced and I was desperate for info. Ah well, all we can do is wait for the real deal.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, believe me I used to get suckered into these videos when the previous Xperias were announced and I was desperate for info. Ah well, all we can do is wait for the real deal.

I'm not really holding my breath if it's only 12MP for all three sensors. The Quad-Bayer sensors with binning are the ones currently holding my curiosity.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not really holding my breath if it's only 12MP for all three sensors. The Quad-Bayer sensors with binning are the ones currently holding my curiosity.

Well that's the interesting thing, why didn't they use those shiny new 48MP sensors that they're selling to everyone else? We don't yet know which sensors are in this phone so it raises a few possibilities

1) They didn't go with the 48MP sensors because doing so with the new optical image stabilization would have made the phone too thick

2) Cost savings, which is pretty silly since they make the sensors

3) They determined they could get better results from these sensors

Dunno which it is yet, but I am intrigued to find out.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the interesting thing, why didn't they use those shiny new 48MP sensors that they're selling to everyone else? We don't yet know which sensors are in this phone so it raises a few possibilities

1) They didn't go with the 48MP sensors because doing so with the new optical image stabilization would have made the phone too thick

2) Cost savings, which is pretty silly since they make the sensors

3) They determined they could get better results from these sensors

Dunno which it is yet, but I am intrigued to find out.

Sony, as always, seems to put the worst implementation of their own camera sensors on their Xperia line. I don't even know why they keep their Xperia line alive at this point.

(I wouldn't doubt that these 12MP sensors are their own sensors, although I'm not familiar with any Sony 12MP sensor products... I'll have to dig up some old documents later/tomorrow.)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony, as always, seems to put the worst implementation of their own camera sensors on their Xperia line. I don't even know why they keep their Xperia line alive at this point.

(I wouldn't doubt that these 12MP sensors are their own sensors, although I'm not familiar with any Sony 12MP sensor products... I'll have to dig up some old documents later/tomorrow.)

The ultrawide and telephoto lenses are the same size and MIGHT be the same sensor, but the wide one is a different size. It'll probably be a while before we learn which sensors are in the phone

12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1/2.6", 1.4µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4", 1.0µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/3.4", 1.0µm

With the shift in focus that began last year they also began borrowing more from their professional line of cameras, so we don't know how good the processing algorithm is going to be on this phone yet. We know for the naming scheme of the Xperia 1 and Xperia 10 they're mirroring the names of the point and shoot cameras with the RX1 and RX10. We know they've tapped their Cinealta folks for the Cinema Pro app. Supposedly there's more integration with the Alpha division, so we'll have to wait and see.

As for why keep the mobile division around, they've stated numerous times that they see it as a vital division to keep around for the 5G future to come. My take on it is that they can treat the mobile division as an in-house R&D division that also produces some products. The other arms of Sony can tap the mobile division for their expertise in 5G when developing their products and services that will take advantage of the tech. One obvious example is PlayStation with PS Now. 5G is going to be key to that service being on mobile phones and PlayStation will be able to tap into the mobile division for their knowledge on 5G, Android and possibly hardware if a PlayStation tablet is going to be made.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The ultrawide and telephoto lenses are the same size and MIGHT be the same sensor, but the wide one is a different size. It'll probably be a while before we learn which sensors are in the phone

12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1/2.6", 1.4µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4", 1.0µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/3.4", 1.0µm

With the shift in focus that began last year they also began borrowing more from their professional line of cameras, so we don't know how good the processing algorithm is going to be on this phone yet. We know for the naming scheme of the Xperia 1 and Xperia 10 they're mirroring the names of the point and shoot cameras with the RX1 and RX10. We know they've tapped their Cinealta folks for the Cinema Pro app. Supposedly there's more integration with the Alpha division, so we'll have to wait and see.

As for why keep the mobile division around, they've stated numerous times that they see it as a vital division to keep around for the 5G future to come. My take on it is that they can treat the mobile division as an in-house R&D division that also produces some products. The other arms of Sony can tap the mobile division for their expertise in 5G when developing their products and services that will take advantage of the tech. One obvious example is PlayStation with PS Now. 5G is going to be key to that service being on mobile phones and PlayStation will be able to tap into the mobile division for their knowledge on 5G, Android and possibly hardware if a PlayStation tablet is going to be made.

Yeah, the mirroring of the RX and their other consumer line numbering makes sense. I personally wonder whether they'll eventually include some sort of image co-processor into their Xperia line, because some of their stuff they're able to accomplish on their BIONZ image processors is nuts.