• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021

Really curious about this studio, they are expanding really fast and they have several projects in development with one of them only announced at the moment (Horizon VR).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have a feeling they're going to be extremely important for Sony in the mid term future.

Velgo

Dec 9, 2021
The real war this generation won't be for games or exclusives. It'll be for developers

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
This is the largest lease in Liverpool in 3 years...since Sony acquired a 65000 sq ft space in Liverpool in 2018.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I imagine this means they are opening a bunch of stuff like mocap/audio recording offices and so on and make a second part of Firesprite that, like VASG offers a robust asset creation pipeline for First and Third Party studios in the UK to use.
Are they the ones working on the MP game?
You are confusing with Firewalk, Firesprite has a bunch of projects, including Horizon Call of he Mountains.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
im that guy. I don't like twisted metal's edgIness. If the tv show is good, maybe I'll be into it but right now, I'd have preferred a wipeout

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
The Ropewalks is a bit of a rough area in Liverpool so they probably got the space for a bit cheaper. There are semi-regular stabbings.

I understand that the Playstation Liverpool office (XDEV, etc) also had big renovation recently, so they must be investing heavily in the area.

Very jealous that their office is next door to The Merchant though. Cracking Bar with some great pizza.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Its crazy how much Sony seems to be investing in them going by what they have already put out. They must see a huge amount of potential, which is a good thing!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Firesprite comes across as something of a wildcard studio. I think we'll see the most games out of them this gen just behind Insomniac.

OP
OP
Portodutch

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I imagine this means they are opening a bunch of stuff like mocap/audio recording offices and so on and make a second part of Firesprite that, like VASG offers a robust asset creation pipeline for First and Third Party studios in the UK to use.

Didnt think of that but that could be it, because so much space just for employees is really allot.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty crazy timeline. Studio Liverpool shut -> Firesprite formed -> Firesprite develop various titles for Sony -> Firesprite bought by Sony - > Firesprite expand.

I'll have to go check out where their new office is. I may be wrong but I recall Studio Liverpool being in the old Littlewood building, which got wrecked by a fire a few weeks back. Duke Street is pretty central, not sure where the Vanilla Factory is.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Ropewalks is a bit of a rough area in Liverpool so they probably got the space for a bit cheaper. There are semi-regular stabbings.

I understand that the Playstation Liverpool office (XDEV, etc) also had big renovation recently, so they must be investing heavily in the area.

Very jealous that their office is next door to The Merchant though. Cracking Bar with some great pizza.
A bit of a stabbing would help their creative process.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

Rough area?! Only in so much that it is the main nightlife area of a major European city. No rougher than the Northern Quarter in Manchester or SoHo in London. But it is indeed next to a load of good spots. Duke St market for grub, Jacaranda Phase 1 for records etc, FACT for film and exhibitions etc. It's a great place to work, definitely.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They could be working in Buckingham for all I care, SHOW ME THE GAMEEEEEEE

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty crazy timeline. Studio Liverpool shut -> Firesprite formed -> Firesprite develop various titles for Sony -> Firesprite bought by Sony - > Firesprite expand.

I'll have to go check out where their new office is. I may be wrong but I recall Studio Liverpool being in the old Littlewood building, which got wrecked by a fire a few weeks back. Duke Street is pretty central, not sure where the Vanilla Factory is.

Vanilla Factory was really close, on Fleet Street, off St Peter's Square. 2 minute walks away from their new venue.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Rough area?! Only in so much that it is the main nightlife area of a major European city. No rougher than the Northern Quarter in Manchester or SoHo in London. But it is indeed next to a load of good spots. Duke St market for grub, Jacaranda Phase 1 for records etc, FACT for film and exhibitions etc. It's a great place to work, definitely.

Of course. I only mean in comparison to the Playstation Liverpool Office which is on Old Hall Street, and thus probably much more expensive.

www.explore-liverpool.com

First look at Sony PlayStation’s new Old Hall Street office space

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that they will be opening a new office in the Liverpool ECHO's former home on Old Hall Street.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Of course. I only mean in comparison to the Playstation Liverpool Office which is on Old Hall Street, and thus probably much more expensive.

www.explore-liverpool.com

First look at Sony PlayStation’s new Old Hall Street office space

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that they will be opening a new office in the Liverpool ECHO's former home on Old Hall Street.

Yeah, true. Old Hall St is much more "traditional CBD". Suits and ties etc. I guess that fits in with the nature of the Sony office and that the creatives are out where all the partying happens.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It's pretty much in the same area, a little closer to the Baltic Triangle, but doesn't really make a big difference, it's like minutes away.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Its crazy how much Sony seems to be investing in them going by what they have already put out. They must see a huge amount of potential, which is a good thing!
I'm wondering if Sony will try ubisoft approach and Firesprite will also be supporting other Sony studio. They're already collaborating with Guerilla to make Horizon VR. I wonder if this will happen with other studio as well. Maybe they'll be the one making new Uncharted, co develop with Naughty Dog, or maybe TLoU remake VR conversion, etc

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have friends that work there. I hear that they have 400+ employees and aim to be much larger. They have several games in production and others in pre-prod.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I have friends that work there. I hear that they have 400+ employees and aim to be much larger. They have several games in production and others in pre-prod.

They've got over 50 open positions right now so definitely growing at a massive rate! They're almost twice the size of Rare, to give some perspective.

I imagine they've grown massively over the two years that we've been working from home in the UK (acquisition or not) and simply couldn't fit into their old office now that folks are starting to return to shared working in one place. I know of a few studios who are in that situation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if Sony will try ubisoft approach and Firesprite will also be supporting other Sony studio. They're already collaborating with Guerilla to make Horizon VR.

Firesprite have done tons of co-dev/support work so I wouldn't be surprised if they continue that.

They were one of the co-devs on Sea of Thieves!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They've got over 50 open positions right now so definitely growing at a massive rate! They're almost twice the size of Rare, to give some perspective.

I imagine they've grown massively over the two years that we've been working from home in the UK (acquisition or not) and simply couldn't fit into their old office now that folks are starting to return to shared working in one place. I know of a few studios who are in that situation.

Sometimes that kind of growth can be bad. For instance I know Media Tonic hired a lot of people that they couldn't manage well. A friend of mine was let go at Media Tonic after his manager said they did not understand what his role was in the company, or why he was hired.

He's fine now though, works for Ubisoft Annecy and gets to go snowboarding every weekend.

Not to say it's that way for Firesprite, I haven't heard bad things and I'm optimistic they might revive some old Playstation franchises. A lot of folks there are ex studio liverpool, ex evolution and so forth, so a Wipeout title focused on VR feels inevitable.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Thats way higher than i thought they were. Werent they around 250 when they got acquired by sony in September? That would be nearly doubling their size in 9 months.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Thats way higher than i thought they were. Werent they around 250 when they got acquired by sony in September? That would be nearly doubling their size in 9 months.

265 with Fabrik I believe. They've consistently had 40-50+ openings ever since so wouldn't surprise me, especially with WFH opening up the talent pool base.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
They acquired Fabrik games at the end of September bringing them up to ~265.
Job listing in March said they were over 300, and still growing fast.

I kind of got the impression that hiring had slowed down recently but maybe that's not the case. They're hiring for more positions now than in September, and they seem to be filling them.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize Firesprite was comprised of ex-studio liverpool folks, I guess Sony had some sellers remorse there.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Great for the UK. I'd love to see some of the stuff they are working on, they must have impressed Sony for the speed they are growing.