• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
OP EDIT: ITS OVER 26/09/18

OP EDIT: Sony's New Response 27/06/18

"We're hearing it. We're looking at a lot of the possibilities. You can imagine that the circumstances around that affect a lot more than just one game. I'm confident we'll get to a solution which will be understood and accepted by our gaming community, while at the same time supporting our business."

Eurogamer:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ent-it-will-deliver-a-ps4-cross-play-solution

MOD EDIT: Sony's Response

"We're always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience," Sony said in a statement to the BBC. "With ... more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we've built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles. We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms," Sony stated. "We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point."

hiLiB0f.jpg

—————————————————

Sony chiefs are under pressure to respond to complaints about "cross-play" restrictions imposed on Fortnite.

Gamers have discovered that if they had first played the title on a PlayStation console, they are unable to use the same Fortnite account with the newly released Nintendo Switch edition.

This prevents them from being able to make use of outfits and other in-game purchases and rewards they had accrued.

There is no such limitation when moving between the Xbox One and Switch.

Gamers were already unable to share a Fortnite account between Microsoft and Sony's platforms.

BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44477524

Players of the popular survival game Fortnite are complaining to Sony that they cannot use the same accounts on different consoles.

Gamers are frustrated because they can't transfer their accounts between the PS4 version of the game to the Nintendo Switch, a ban which some have accused Sony of making to undercut the success of its rival.

Many have argued that the Switch, as a mobile console, appeals to a different market segment than the PS4 and note how Microsoft has made no such ban for Xbox-based accounts.

Sky News
https://news.sky.com/story/fortnite...t-account-cross-compatibility-issues-11404268

Sony shares slide amid gamer backlash over 'Fortnite' PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch issue
  • Players have expressed anger over a so-called cross-play issue with "Fortnite" which doesn't allow them to use an account associated with a Sony PlayStation 4 to play the game on the Nintendo Switch.
  • This means progress and in-game purchases on "Fortnite" on the PS4 can't be carried over to the Switch.
  • Sony shares fell 2 percent.

CNBC
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/for...rs-outraged-over-switch-cross-play-issue.html

Why some 'Fortnite' players are mad at Sony, PlayStation

Some PlayStation 4 owners who enjoy the red-hot video game Fortnite are upset with Sony after learning their account is blocked on the Nintendo Switch.

USA Today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...rtnite-players-mad-sony-playstation/701728002

Fox Business with Reggie (Click to watch in YouTube)

Sony Mired in Controversy in 'Fortnite' Nintendo Switch Debacle

Sony is in deep trouble with gamers, and things only appear to be getting worse.

The game company is facing backlash from PlayStation 4 players who are disappointed that they can't access their PlayStation 4 accounts for the wildly popular battle royale game Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch. Sony has decided to block those players from cross-play or being able to access and sync their gamer accounts between consoles. That means that all of the progress, purchases, and other content on PlayStation 4 Fortnite accounts won't be accessible on the Nintendo Switch or Xbox One.

Fortune
http://fortune.com/2018/06/14/sony-playstation-fortnite-nintendo-switch/

PlayStation refuse to allow Fortnite cross-platform play with Xbox or Nintendo

FORTNITE players have unleased a tirade of abuse at Sony for its "ridiculous" decision to force gamers to start all over again.

news.com.au
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...o/news-story/bfdcc6d8db3093e1db36eb6ad250a1ee

Fortnite players aren't satisfied with Sony's response to the PlayStation-Nintendo Switch controversy

After facing a wave of backlash, Sony issued a response on Thursday to its controversial decision to bar Fortnite accounts on PlayStation from being used to play Fortnite on Nintendo Switch, a problem that Fortnite players on Xbox won't face if they want to play the game on the Switch.

Many players, however, feel Sony didn't adequately address the issue.

Business Insider
http://uk.businessinsider.com/fortn...o-switch-account-controversy-2018-6?r=US&IR=T

—————————————————
Not Mainstream Media but Head of Xbox Phil Spencer's comments:

Here is the timestamp of the Phil Spencer interview with Jeff from Giant Bomb talking about the whole Fortnite situation, I think it should be on the OP

—————————————————

EDIT: Mainstream News StilL Writing About it 29th June

But even with that hardware advantage, its plan to be the one-stop shop for their community of "Fortnite" players may end up doing more harm than good. Sony's crossplay ban may end up isolating the gaming giant from the wider world of "Fortnite."

CNBC
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/fortnite-playstation-crossplay-sony-xbox-nintendo-switch-gaming.html

Last edited:

Hero.of.Lgnd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is great to see.

Has Sony commented yet? It has been a couple days since the outrage started, I would have thought we'd have heard something by now.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No reason why the accounts have to be locked out like this. Sony baby what is you doing?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. Lack of crossplay is one (bad) thing, but blocking accounts from ever using other systems is really ridiculous. The more flak they get, the more chance of them acting sooner, so keep it up, press.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't eypect them to allow cross play until next gen when they will have to start playing nice too.

But at least they have to able the cross progression. It just seems petty.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is great to see.

Has Sony commented yet? It has been a couple days since the outrage started, I would have thought we'd have heard something by now.

Only with this so far.

"We're always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience," it said.

"With... more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we've built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

"We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms."

"We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point," a spokeswoman added.

Oct 27, 2017
Pressure needs to stay on Sony in this regard - they have come out strong against cross-play for bs reasons so it will take a lot to make them go back on this. Just keep tweeting the leading individuals who could influence the change and keep discussing it.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
they'll probably save a crossplay announcement for ps5 for the good press but I hope they change it now.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nice, hope social outrage will make them change their stance.
I doubt it though.

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
For the past 5 or so years Sony has done such an impeccable job earning gamers' trust and favor, it seems so anticlimactic for them to try and pull this off in this day and age.
It seems like something MS would have done a couple of years ago, but it appears even Sony is afraid of losing customers to Nintendo and the Switch.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's THE story coming out of e3.

I hope Sony responds and doesn't continue to keep it's head in the sand like it has since console cross play became a reality.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
lol Sony getting raked through the coals

#fthegamers

#DRMpart2

Crossplay Is Growing And The Industry Will Leave You Behind

Edit (mods please add to the OP)

Edit #2 Click on the Youtube video link because Fox does not allow embeds
REGGIE ON FOX REGARDING THE ISSUE

Last edited:

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pressure is mounting. Sony's ridiculous stance on all things crossplay is really biting them in the ass sooner than I thought.

Question is, just how stubborn is Sony going to be?

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Sony pretended to be open to cross play like 2 years ago?
Then everyone did it but THEY were the ones to refuse in order to "protect the children".
I don't think anything is going to come out of this in terms of cross play, but I hope they at least get so much shit that they will have to let people use their accounts that they sunk time and money into on whatever platform they want.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Hope it happens in the states too. Deny crossplay all you want, but not allowing people to jump between using the same account on multiple consoles is gross and pathetic. Even Apple, a company that doesn't even allow you to buy Kindle books in the app because they want a cut, isn't going this far.

It's lame. Market leader or not. Most of these service games will out last the platforms they're on, so they shouldn't be tied to them.

Nov 18, 2017
If they back down now this will create a new problem.

People who created a second account to circumvent this and have purchases on both.

Epic need to allow the transfer or merging of accounts.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good. This is my takeaway from Sony's E3, and it needs to be addressed properly. Stop holding my account hostage.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's quite ridiculous that it's come to this. This is trivial and Sony just need to get with program and stop acting like dicks.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Sony are in a very difficult position. It is like EA with battlefront. MS and Nintendo are making them look very anti consumer but you can understand their reluctance. Do nothing and sony could be in trouble come the next generation.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And minecraft better together releases for switch on the 21st which will just add more to the mix

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Good. Hope it happens in the states too. Deny crossplay all you want, but not allowing people to jump between using the same account on multiple consoles is gross and pathetic. Even Apple, a company that doesn't even allow you to buy Kindle books in the app because they want a cut, isn't going this far.

It's lame. Market leader or not. Most of these service games will out last the platforms they're on, so they shouldn't be tied to them.
Said it better than I could have.

Nice to see this is gaining traction in the press. Just a senseless decision to lock people's accounts like this.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Good, this need to be big so Sony has to change their politic toward crossplay. They really fucked-up on this subject.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Sony has been absolute shit with their cross platform policy to the point you can't even play with Nintendo Switch users in Phantasy Star Online 2 despite being on the same server.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat off-topic, but how do you party up with people in Fortnite across platforms? I just started Fortnite on PS4, and i can only see an invite option from people on my PSN friends list.