• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So by registering my Epic account to my Xbox profile, Sony is actually locking it to Xbox?

Now I can see why people are upset. I can't believe how Sony could do this (on a technical level) or how Epic could, or even would, facilitate it...

You can't use your xbox linked account on ps4 because sony doesn't like it, yes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So by registering my Epic account to my Xbox profile, Sony is actually locking it to Xbox?

Now I can see why people are upset. I can't believe how Sony could do this (on a technical level) or how Epic could, or even would, facilitate it...

No. You can't just keep repeating that and hoping it'll become true. By playing Fortnite on an Xbox, Sony will forever ban it from being used on your PS4. Literally every other platform will still happily accept the account. But take it to a PS4 and it won't be allowed in.

The only 'locking' happens on the PS4 when you try to log-in and you're locked out.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope that guy in the tweet didn't sell his PS4 and wants to play the exclusives coming out in the next 2 years...because there's nothing quite like lining Sony's pockets multiple times in defiance over a free to play game lol.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What am I missing? How is this not ludicrous?
How IS it ludicrous? Company treats you poorly, another company sells a product that is nearly identical and doesn't treat you poorly, if you can afford it why not switch? If you can't, don't do it, obviously.

Ludicrous is choosing to throw your hat in and accept whatever they do to anyone simply because you decided to attach yourself to a brand for some reason.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
I really hope that guy in the tweet didn't sell his PS4 and wants to play the exclusives coming out in the next 2 years...because there's nothing quite like lining Sony's pockets multiple times in defiance over a free to play game lol.

Fortnite is behind a XBL paywall on Xbox..

No. You can't just keep repeating that and hoping it'll become true. By playing Fortnite on an Xbox, Sony will forever ban it from being used on your PS4. Literally every other platform will still happily accept the account. But take it to a PS4 and it won't be allowed in.

The only 'locking' happens on the PS4 when you try to log-in and you're locked out.

I see, the way some people were explaining it is like this:
People linked their epic account to Xbox and were happily playing, until one day they played a single game (by accident) on PS4, and then they could never play on their Xbox again.

Now I know that this scenario would have never been possible, as the single, accidental / unintended play on PS4 with the Xbox-linked account could have never happened.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I would hope he's done what I've done. Cancelled my plus subscription and will only play single player exclusive games like god of war. I also buy my ps4 games on disk and lend them to my friends then trade them in after. Quite a few of us have said this is what we will do. My friend bought Detroit the other day and we are going to pass it around before he trades it.

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people targeting that person on Twitter. So what if he sold his PS4 for a Xbox to play Fortnite with cross play. He may genuinely have mates on Xbox and Switch playing. And Fortnite may be his main game he plays.

If for example he doesn't have friends on Xbox or Switch he gebuingen wants to play with and it's just randoms and he isn't into Xbox exclusives and doesn't care for big games like Spiderman, then I'll say I don't get the switching systems lol, especially this late into a generation.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
People linked their epic account to Xbox and were happily playing, until one day they played a single game (by accident) on PS4, and then they could never play on their Xbox again.

Now I know that this scenario would have never been possible, as the single, accidental / unintended play on PS4 with the Xbox-linked account could have never happened.

The concern was more that people played one game using their Epic account on PS4 only to find out they couldn't use it on Switch because PSN infected the Epic account unbeknowningly to them at the time. When it was just Xbox and PS4, I had just assumed it was some weird glitch that Epic had yet to sort out but the Switch is when people started realizing it was actually Sony.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope he's done what I've done. Cancelled my plus subscription and will only play single player exclusive games like god of war. I also buy my ps4 games on disk and lend them to my friends then trade them in after. Quite a few of us have said this is what we will do. My friend bought Detroit the other day and we are going to pass it around before he trades it.

Still seems like Sony's getting paid with that strategy, boycotting their big first party games would probably be the only thing to seriously move them on this issue before next gen or another stock market dive.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Still seems like Sony's getting paid with that strategy, boycotting their big first party games would probably be the only thing to seriously move them on this issue before next gen or another stock market dive.

I agree. You're still given Sony money even if it isn't as much.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
The concern was more that people played one game using their Epic account on PS4 only to find out they couldn't use it on Switch because PSN infected the Epic account unbeknowningly to them at the time. When it was just Xbox and PS4, I had just assumed it was some weird glitch that Epic had yet to sort out but the Switch is when people started realizing it was actually Sony.

Yes, that I understand, but I could have sworn I read the scenario which I described many times..

Did anyone try emailing Epic?

Psykodoughboy

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I'm assuming the only way to solve these kinds of issues is government regulation or bad pr. (pr is the only good option)

Either way this will happen again. My prediction is that Nintendo is going to fuck up next.

#sony4life

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK

PSN infected it......?

Hopefully Sony will change it, but from a business perspective I can see why they aren't.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol this forum is filled with rich dudes. 700 dollars ain't shit to them.

Eh it's not really about price, it's just that the X doesn't really offer any additional performance benefits. He could've bought the base model or a slim and still had the basic experience.

I just find it weird that he bought the high end version of the console for a F2P game without grabbing any additional titles that would see performance benefits.

You literally said that the simple act of someone buying an Xbox is 'ridiculous'. There's one ludicrous thing in this thread.

Buying an Xbox is fine. Buying the premium one in protest for an F2P game when he already owns a switch seems ridiculous to me.

How IS it ludicrous? Company treats you poorly, another company sells a product that is nearly identical and doesn't treat you poorly, if you can afford it why not switch? If you can't, don't do it, obviously.

Ludicrous is choosing to throw your hat in and accept whatever they do to anyone simply because you decided to attach yourself to a brand for some reason.

I agree, attaching oneself to a corporate brand and fighting for it is also ludicrous.

I personally think that Sony's behaviour in this matter although understandable from a business perspective is very anti consumer and not particularly defensible.

I was under the impression that the Twitter user already owned a Switch, did not own a PlayStation, and had purchased an Xbox One X.

He's not switching from PS to Xbox. He bought a supplementary piece of hardware which was unnecessary. His actions in no way negatively effect Sony and as such will not create change.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Seems a bit weak principled if you and your friends are still buying exclusives at all tbh. That's still money you're giving Sony. That's not really sticking it to the man. Lol

Based on the outrage in the thread is it reasonable to expect to see Xbox and switch leading the charge in next month's NPD numbers?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Seems a bit weak principled if you and your friends are still buying exclusives at all tbh. That's still money you're giving Sony. That's not really sticking it to the man. Lol

Based on the outrage in the thread is it reasonable to expect to see Xbox and switch leading the charge in next month's NPD numbers?

No. I don't see this affecting Sony in the short term.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. I don't see this affecting Sony in the short term.

I don't think it's going to affect them long term either really? Will Fortnite even be a thing in upwards of three years time for people to even remember this when they're showing off some amazing god of war ps5 launch title that looks like nothing we've ever seen before visually? Gamers are fickle. Hell, people are fickle. If Facebook account numbers can increase during the period where they're talking about millions of users data being stolen and used against them...i think it's safe to say Sony have nothing to worry about over limiting cross play in a free to play title.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i think it's safe to say Sony have nothing to worry about over limiting cross play in a free to play title.

That's cool for Sony but, in the meantime, PS4 users who want to play on Switch or Xbox are finding that their accounts are completely locked out of every other console because they're associated with PS4s. There are some links in the OP with more information on what the thread is actually about if you wanna know more.

Everyone else - wrap up the thread. We're done here. Apparently Sony 'have nothing to worry about'. Phew! And here we all were worried about that.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That's cool for Sony but, in the meantime, PS4 users who want to play on Switch or Xbox are finding that their accounts are completely locked out of every other console because they're associated with PS4s. There are some links in the OP with more information on what the thread is actually about if you wanna know more.

Everyone else - wrap up the thread. We're done here. Apparently Sony 'have nothing to worry about'. Phew! And here we all were worried about that.
The vast majority of PS4 owners don't care enough about it to abandon the platform. Sony doesn't have to worry about this issue affecting them in the long run.

I so think however they will allow crossplay in some manner later on, but that announcement will be saved for a more opportune time as it is effectively free positive PR.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's going to affect them long term either really? Will Fortnite even be a thing in upwards of three years time for people to even remember this when they're showing off some amazing god of war ps5 launch title that looks like nothing we've ever seen before visually? Gamers are fickle. Hell, people are fickle. If Facebook account numbers can increase during the period where they're talking about millions of users data being stolen and used against them...i think it's safe to say Sony have nothing to worry about over limiting cross play in a free to play title.
You really think this is just about Fortnite?
In the long term, what happens when the next huge third party GaaS game come out? Or the one after that one? Or the one after THAT one?
Do you really think the problem would disappear by ignoring it?
GaaS games are best served by third party studios. Sony's policy is hurting GaaS on its platform and makes other consoles more attractive, for BOTH players and Game Studios.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody report this post so that a Mod will read it?

Is it possible, just for archival reasons, that the full Sony response is included in the starting post?

I believe the abridged version, which the BBC now hosts, sends a slightly different message.
The verge has the original official Sony BBC quote before BBC changed it

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17462932/fortnite-nintendo-switch-block-sony-response-comment

You want the rest of their ad spot in the OP?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If one person moves thier primary console to the competition then it's a loss for Sony. I've seen multiple cases of people showing images of their Xbox ones they've purchased. Sure it may not be millions but it's still numbers.

I personally don't know if it will change in the npds or not but I know I'm moving away from the platform as much as I can. At the end of the day I'm a gamer and I'm not going to miss out on the next big single player game like the last of us 2 or God of war (top 5 game of the generation for me). I got to experience it and platinumed it. I lost no money playing that game. I lent it two friends and still got 36 pounds trade back for it.

My friends all agree we will take turns to buy an exclusive and pass it around. It's cool that Sony's main first party games are one and done as it makes it easier to do.

I honestly think Sony will 180 on this within the next year. If not they will just look stupid.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"Vote with your wallet" usually means not using your wallet at all. Selling his PS4 would have sent the same message while costing a lot less money to do.

If you loved shopping at Walmart but just learned how shitty they treat employees (which you obviously don't like), so you decide to 'vote with your wallet'...

Do you:

a) shop somewhere else instead
b) don't buy things anymore
c) pick (a)

Did he really need an Xbox X and an additional controller for that?

Absolutely.

I can only assume he's replacing a PS4 (or Pro) he owned with two controllers.

Someone else in this thread picked up a Switch. Either way, it's effectively voting with your wallet.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
You want the rest of their ad spot in the OP?

I believe having the actual response is better is all. in the redacted version it says "80 million players" most persons would interpret that as 80 milion consoles sold, but in the actual response they write only 79 million consoles sold.
If anything, the redacted version makes Sony look better, aside from not mentioning the true free-to-play reference.

Even if you don't agree with the full Sony response, at least you can make up your mind about it. That changes if the message is diluted, then the information becomes second hand.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
You really think this is just about Fortnite?
In the long term, what happens when the next huge third party GaaS game come out? Or the one after that one? Or the one after THAT one?
Do you really think the problem would disappear by ignoring it?
GaaS games are best served by third party studios. Sony's policy is hurting GaaS on its platform and makes other consoles more attractive, for BOTH players and Game Studios.
What happens? Oh.. people will probably keep playing on the platform they buy the game on, like they are doing now. Probably keep Xplay with PC and mobile like they are doing now. They'll probably be more threads like there is now, but with less people after they realize how lackluster the features really are. And probably keep striking deals with the "game studios " that they are apparently hurting....

Oh, and PS4 will probably stay the top platform for months to come. Imo, of course.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You do realise if Sony have nothing to worry about it's entiely BECAUSE people don't care about it ehough to do anything about it, right?

So if we've established Sony likely aren't going to be affected by this. And people, in general don't care about it. That does indeed sound like a wrap to me, even if you were being pedantic about it *shrugs*

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you loved shopping at Walmart but just learned how shitty they treat employees (which you obviously don't like), so you decide to 'vote with your wallet'...

Do you:

a) shop somewhere else instead
b) don't buy things anymore
c) pick (a)

I hope those people that boycotted Chick-fil-A didn't eat any other food during their boycott. Could've just had none and saved loads of money.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
If one person moves thier primary console to the competition then it's a loss for Sony. I've seen multiple cases of people showing images of their Xbox ones they've purchased. Sure it may not be millions but it's still numbers.

I personally don't know if it will change in the npds or not but I know I'm moving away from the platform as much as I can. At the end of the day I'm a gamer and I'm not going to miss out on the next big single player game like the last of us 2 or God of war (top 5 game of the generation for me). I got to experience it and platinumed it. I lost no money playing that game. I lent it two friends and still got 36 pounds trade back for it.

My friends all agree we will take turns to buy an exclusive and pass it around. It's cool that Sony's main first party games are one and done as it makes it easier to do.

I honestly think Sony will 180 on this within the next year. If not they will just look stupid.
1. The very reason Sony has this policy and will release the Fortnite bundle is because they know making PS4 the default platform to play is of far greater benefit to them.

2. Xbox should win June NPD because they've had a huge sale all month. Many will misinterpret that as being Fortnite related......then we'll be back to normal with the Spider-Man bundle doing record numbers.

3. The 'one and done' quote is always used as a derogatory term. It never made much sense to me as titles like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War take 30-40hrs to complete. I don't even know many people who put those sort of hours into multiplayer games.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"Vote with your wallet" usually means not using your wallet at all. Selling his PS4 would have sent the same message while costing a lot less money to do.

The idea of buying new hardware (the premium SKU at that) for a F2P game that's released for a console you already own is ridiculous to me.

It eliminates one of the core benefits of crossplay.

Talks about principles yet bought a console that locks F2P games behind a paywall? Well that fell flat on it's ass. He will get a surprise when he to use his wallet again to pay for a subscription.

That dude is cringy as fuck

Have you read his 2nd tweet where he explains his decision? It is not just about Fortnite ... is is about the principle Sony is acting on.

Edit:
Timer saver:

Last edited:

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Have you read his 2nd tweet where he explains his decision? It is not just about Fortnite ... is is about the principle Sony is acting on.

Edit:
Timer saver:

Of course they didn't read it. Hey couldn't have possibly bought the 1X for other reasons as well as his stance on the bullshit going on, amirite? People thinking he only bought it for Fortnite make no sense.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
I believe having the actual response is better is all. in the redacted version it says "80 million players" most persons would interpret that as 80 milion consoles sold, but in the actual response they write only 79 million consoles sold.
If anything, the redacted version makes Sony look better, aside from not mentioning the true free-to-play reference.

Even if you don't agree with the full Sony response, at least you can make up your mind about it. That changes if the message is diluted, then the information becomes second hand.

First and foremost, it's not 'redacted' it's edited. Redacted implies some sort of censorship for security or legal reasons.

Anyways, the main bit the BBC felt to remove was "Fortnite is already a huge hit with PS4 fans, offering a true free-to-play experience so gamers can jump in and play online" eg. corporate guff that has no bearing on their story. Much like this thread.
Also he needs now to pay MS monthly to have access to his "free to play" game..
Isnt your Epic account that was registered to your Xbox Account is also "hijacked"? By your own logic
Fortnite is behind a XBL paywall on Xbox..

Ohhhhhhhh… I see your just trying really, really, really hard to try and derail this thread to focus back on MS paywall (that's just the last two pages btw). Well good news! There is already a thread for you right here!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-does-fortnite-require-xbox-live-gold-and-not-ps.50074/

Knock yaself out!