• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is Sony´s response...

G9B1oCA.jpg

Found here.. (Italian Sony Facebook account)

https://www.facebook.com/sonyplayst...29850450998/10156224529345999/?type=3&theater

So they seem to be launching a PS4 + Fortnite Bundle with an exclusive skin...

lol.. they don´t give a damn about the Crossplay/Crossbuy/Epic account outrage.. .

I'm fully against what Sony has done with this account nonsense, but do you honestly think that this bundle was conceived and agreed upon in the space of 10 days? Stahp.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to the other thread, Sony fans think it was a recent response to this whole fiasco. I'm not even joking lmao.
Lol I tried to read through that thread, but I saw the usual suspects practically jerking it to the thought of potential NPD sales figures and I had my fill. Is it still worth reading through for the humor?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I saw a PS4/Fortnite bundle on Amazon just the other day. I remember thinking, "how do you bundle a F2P game"

If so, it's nothing new.

I looked for it today, but I don't see it.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I haven't seen the polls, but what was the question ask. Is it "do you care" or is it something along the lines of will this decision impact your purchases of future Sony products? Because, I'll be honest, I'll probably still buy a PS5 even though this bugs me. But I just won't buy Multiplatform games on it if they're cross play, same with this gen. I still have to play God of War, I'm not gonna throw my PS4 out because of this lol. It doesn't mean I don't care about the issue.

edit: Also I want to add that last gen, I was mainly a 360 gamer (before that PS2, before that PS1, before that Genesis). After Microsoft's bullshit E3 showing with DRM, etc. I said fuck that and voted with my wallet and bought a PS4. Great decision. I know I'm only one gamer, so I can only tell you my opinion/thoughts, but this is one reason I'll be looking more closely at the Xbox Next next generation. Will I still buy a PS5? Eventually.

I agree Epic should've put a statement out. But once again, Fortnite is available on PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One, iOS, and I think soon Android. Once you link to PS4 your shit is locked. You've already said it's wrong, so you know it is. Maybe Sony is afraid they'll lose money or some shit from this, idk. I don't expect Sony to put out a statement prior to playing Fortnite, but they should let people delink their account (which you've already said you agree with). It's Epics fault for not mentioning it earlier, it's Sonys fault for having a shit policy and (so far) for not allowing Epic to do a one time de-link so this issue can be fixed.

Lol, why is it entitlement? I hate that argument. I remember talking about how dumb the Nintendo Switch voice chat app is and there were some people saying I was "entitled". No. When competitors are doing something unique, you want to see it on your platform too. When last gen Xbox 360 offered system party chat, name change, etc. people asked Sony to bring those features to their platform. They've brought party chat, tons of features, and hopefully soon name change.

I'm not going to look at the SNES and N64 and Wii and say future Nintendo consoles shouldn't support online because the classic consoles don't. This is a feature the industry is moving towards. This is feature developers want. This is a feature either gamers want or don't care for. These are all facts. It's not entitlement to clamor and ask Sony to allow this. They wouldn't even have to do more work on the backend, only change their policy. However they don't want to because money. But I'm a consumer, someone who bought their system and games, its not entitlement to ask for more features.

My point with EA access was to show you Sony is limiting consumer options. That's their way of making more money. Xbox's Gamepass is directly competing with EA Access on their platform. Their way of making money isn't "Lock our system down and make our choice the only choice" its "offer multiple services and make ours the most appealing". Their reasons are simply their afraid EA Access will take a share of their pie. If you wanna defend that, or say Sony isn't limiting options go ahead.

And yea, I do use an iPhone. I mentioned that Steam Link issue a few posts back. It's dumb. I'm glad Apple at least allows Netflix, Spotify, Google Maps and other services that compete with iTunes, Apple Music, Apple Maps etc. though.

My point was game size varies between games. Some games will be more popular some won't. You automatically assumed Nintendo Switch 3rd party games had lower population and therefore trouble finding games. But just like you said "that really isn't a good argument I never had trouble finding games". So far I haven't seen any compaints about finding games on the Nintendo Switch.

Eh, agree to disagree I guess. It was news because Fortnite is the biggest game in the world and sites like to report... well news. And that was news. Of course in a week you'll see less posts about it, it isn't really "news" at that point unless something else happens.

But it's been, what two weeks since E3? And cross play is still pops up when its appropriate: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/21/...soft-xbox-minecraft-cross-play-marketing-sony

Here's an article from last year: https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15807138/sony-playstation-cross-network-play-xbox-block-response

This issue isn't going to go away, it's going to keep popping up.

Anyways I think I understand your argument and you understand mine. These posts take waaaay to long for me to write and I need to stop lol.
Haha we do understand and they do take way to damn long

All I'm saying is I blame epic for not being transparent on the issue, I'm not gonna blame Sony because it's not their place to tell, would it have been nice yes but it's epics product

As for the Nintendo tho, I'm saying traditionally third party games do worse on Nintendo than other consoles so it would truly benefit the most from crossplay

As for the rest agree to disagree

Good chatting with you regardless friend

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Lol I tried to read through that thread, but I saw the usual suspects practically jerking it to the thought of potential NPD sales figures and I had my fill. Is it still worth reading through for the humor?

Nah, your assessment is 100% correct, lol. Those same people who are avoiding the main topics are now projecting out their anger and are talking about how much money Sony Corp is going to make in spite of "manufactured outrage," blissfully unaware of exactly how long it takes for a hardware SKU to become a thing. Others are upset it's not coming stateside because of potential sales/money to be made, like they get a paycheck. Circlejerking about potential company profits is a sad thing.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, your assessment is 100% correct, lol. Those same people who are avoiding the main topics are now projecting out their anger and are talking about how much money Sony Corp is going to make in spite of "manufactured outrage," blissfully unaware of exactly how long it takes for a hardware SKU to become a thing. Others are upset it's not coming stateside because of potential sales/money to be made, like they get a paycheck. Circlejerking about potential company profits is a sad thing.
I prefer to call them game fans. Jist like sports fans. Both cheer for their favorite to win and make no money in return.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
There's a recent thread about how F2P games shouldn't require paid online subscriptions. This doesn't affect me in the slightest since I'll always pay for PS+ and Gold and the Nintendo service when it launches. But I still support the cause because despite it not affecting me, it helps some people play how they want without inconveniencing anybody.

I'm not personally affected by loot box design in something like Battlefront since I don't even own the game, but I still support the clamor for it being fixed because it helps some people while harming none.

This entire conversation is nearly pointless on ERA though. The audience here is disproportionately disinterested in multiplayer games compared to the market at large (most people seem to only care about single player games), disproportionately inclined to support Sony (general market is 2:1, maybe 3:1 PS4:XBO but certainly feels like 5:1 on ERA), and apparently don't feel like platform agnostic progression is meaningful.

I'd love to hop on my Switch or PS4 or XBO whenever I want and continue my progress seamlessly, or play with my friends regardless of the system I'm on or they're on. And it's weird to see so many people shrug it off as meaningless instead of, at the very least, "it would be amazing for the audience at large even if it doesn't benefit me personally".

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want to use my Epic account on Switch. Sony has no right to take that from me. I didn't make the account on PS4 and I purchased content for that account on the PC sku of Fortnite.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any word on this from Sony? I don't mean their first response touting the number of ps4s they sold..

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
There's a recent thread about how F2P games shouldn't require paid online subscriptions. This doesn't affect me in the slightest since I'll always pay for PS+ and Gold and the Nintendo service when it launches. But I still support the cause because despite it not affecting me, it helps some people play how they want without inconveniencing anybody.

I'm not personally affected by loot box design in something like Battlefront since I don't even own the game, but I still support the clamor for it being fixed because it helps some people while harming none.

This entire conversation is nearly pointless on ERA though. The audience here is disproportionately disinterested in multiplayer games compared to the market at large (most people seem to only care about single player games), disproportionately inclined to support Sony (general market is 2:1, maybe 3:1 PS4:XBO but certainly feels like 5:1 on ERA), and apparently don't feel like platform agnostic progression is meaningful.

I'd love to hop on my Switch or PS4 or XBO whenever I want and continue my progress seamlessly, or play with my friends regardless of the system I'm on or they're on. And it's weird to see so many people shrug it off as meaningless instead of, at the very least, "it would be amazing for the audience at large even if it doesn't benefit me personally".

It is meaningless in the grand scheme, hence I do not care. It might even teach some that big companies dont give a fuck about you, so it is a good thing.

Now, getting kids into pseudogambling, that is serious.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It might even teach some that big companies dont give a fuck about you, so it is a good thing.

Now, getting kids into pseudogambling, that is serious.
Microtransactions might even teach some that gambling and lotteries are a tax on stupidity, so it is a good thing.

Flawless logic.

Last edited:

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
If someone were to sue, which one would get sued? Sony or Epic?
Pretty sure there's no grounds for a serious lawsuit here against either of them. You can still use your purchases on the platform you originally bought them. They're being uncool about letting you use them elsewhere, but you can't really show up in court here and say "hey this game is out on Switch now and Sony won't let me transfer my progress over there! No fair"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure there's no grounds for a serious lawsuit here against either of them. You can still use your purchases on the platform you originally bought them. They're being uncool about letting you use them elsewhere, but you can't really show up in court here and say "hey this game is out on Switch now and Sony won't let me transfer my progress over there! No fair"
but people bought them with the understanding that they were cross progression. That is being hijacked

zoltan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to use my Epic account on Switch. Sony has no right to take that from me. I didn't make the account on PS4 and I purchased content for that account on the PC sku of Fortnite.
so now your epic account is run by Sony? people need to take this out on main guilty party - Epic! Sonys policy is shiw but Epic failed to warn their user about it long time before Switch version came out and may even face legal consequences for it

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
so now your epic account is run by Sony? people need to take this out on main guilty party - Epic! Sonys policy is shiw but Epic failed to warn their user about it long time before Switch version came out and may even face legal consequences for it

Ok, how would Epic warn its consumers? A warning screen? Im just gonna skip a few steps cause ive been over this several times and ask you to phrase the warning that would appear on that screen, without indirectly saying "Don't play this on the console you are signing up on, go sign up on another", because odds are, thats why there was never a warning.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
but people bought them with the understanding that they were cross progression. That is being hijacked
You didn't buy anything entitling you to property rights. You pay for a license which is operated under terms unilaterally designed by Epic.

Sony is absolutely in the wrong here, but I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court with this.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So not only it's Epic fault, they also deserve to be sued over it? LMAO!

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you signed into a PS4 after you purchased them from another platform
Will it let you sign in to PS4 with an account that's already been linked to Xbox/Switch? I don't think it will. I don't think I can buy stuff on Xbox then get locked out of Xbox because I signed in to PS4 one day.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Shame that cross-play is being confused with flat-out blocking people from using another company's services.

You don't want to let PS4 owners play with other consoles? Fine, if you really must. Not letting Switch owners use an Epic account just because it was in your ecosystem at one point? That's a whole new level of backwards thinking.

Agree. Two separate issues. Crossplay would be nice but it's not the end of the world and I understand it from a business perspective. Blocking 3rd party accounts is anti-consumer in a way that's not jusitifiable.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Will it let you sign in to PS4 with an account that's already been linked to Xbox/Switch? I don't think it will. I don't think I can buy stuff on Xbox then get locked out of Xbox because I signed in to PS4 one day.

Isn't that one of the biggest problem with this? it essentially infects your epic account

Jan 10, 2018
You didn't buy anything entitling you to property rights. You pay for a license which is operated under terms unilaterally designed by Epic.

Sony is absolutely in the wrong here, but I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court with this.

I don't know about this specific case, but people like you should stop acting like these agreements are above the law.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, how would Epic warn its consumers? A warning screen? Im just gonna skip a few steps cause ive been over this several times and ask you to phrase the warning that would appear on that screen, without indirectly saying "Don't play this on the console you are signing up on, go sign up on another", because odds are, thats why there was never a warning.

Or rather:

"Warning:
Signing in to your EPIC account on this console will restrict you from signing in on other consoles regardless of whether you unlink the account or not"

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah, the problem is that if you link PlayStation to your Epic account that's it, you can not play on two other platforms. In my case I didn't even actually play on my PS4 and only linked it, but that was enough for Sony to be cunts and keep my account hostage because reasons.

There's still nothing that has been said that is in favour of this system that is currently being employed by Sony. Again just like crossplay there is only good to open movement, no negatives to the players and even to the platform holders. You buy skins on a platform they still get their money, that's where the transaction ends and all a business should care about. Instead we currently have Sony keeping my account hostage because they deem it so which somehow is a okay to some.

The anti-consumer nature exhibited here and celebrated by some is just gross. No wonder gamers can be manipulated so easy to be sheep and defend their favourite brand despite clearly gross and illegal behaviour.

Actually that's exactly the problem. You can create an account on Switch or Xbox or even on PC and play perfectly fine between those three with the same account. But once your account touches PlayStation that's it, it's lock and all your purchases are now Sony's despite no actual purchase on their network. This is the true problem, Sony being arrogant pricks and taking what isn't theirs, which apparently is okay because "80 million gamers!" or some shit.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Or rather:

"Warning:
Signing in to your EPIC account on this console will restrict you from signing in on other consoles regardless of whether you unlink the account or not"

That sounds a lot like i should be signing up on one of the other consoles, where the warning will only tell me that i can't sign into a single, non-specific but definitely specific console.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017

So I just decided to Check the EULA
You know that thing that no one reads? And its pretty damning IMHO

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/eula

Epic may provide patches, updates, or upgrades to the Software that must be installed in order for you to continue to use the Software or Services. Epic may update the Software remotely without notifying you, and you hereby consent to Epic applying patches, updates, and upgrades. Epic may modify, suspend, discontinue, substitute, replace, or limit your access to any aspect of the Software or Services at any time. You acknowledge that your use of the Software or Services does not confer on you any interest, monetary or otherwise, in any aspect or feature of the Software or Services, including but not limited to any in-game rewards, achievements, character levels, Game Currency, or Content. You also acknowledge that any character data, game progress, game customization or other data related to your use of the Software or Services may cease to be available to you at any time without notice from Epic, including without limitation after a patch, update, or upgrade is applied by Epic. Epic does not have any maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services.

EPIC Games knew the whole time. and they were prepared

[You acknowlege that ANY character data/game progress or any data related to the software may cease to be available to you at any time]

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it helps to point a finger at who is really to blame for locking your accounts.
The people who told you that they can lock your account at anytime for any reason, and that by playing the game you accept these conditions
No? Again, literally every Eula says this same stuff. Hell I am out and can't look, but I bet the fucking resetera one says they control your account. That quote is 100% meaningless.

Again: EVERY ACCOUNT YOU HAVE, for every game or gaming service, says this.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
No? Again, literally every Eula says this same stuff. Hell I am out and can't look, but I bet the fucking resetera one says they control your account. That quote is 100% meaningless.

Again: EVERY ACCOUNT YOU HAVE, for every game or gaming service, says this.

Im not saying its right . Im saying the blame is on EPIC for not warning the users properly.
Online games make sure to warn us that there might be some offensive language used by other players, they warn us of lots of things. Epic KNEW. and they CHOSE NOT to warn us about the ramifications of logging in on other consoles.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, game progress is not something that is commonly in EULA's. Using caps lock doesn't change the fact.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Just so i am getting this straight here.

Its fine that one of Sony's policies is forcing Epic to lock people's accounts to only their console ecosystem.

Its not fine that Epic didn't warn us about it.

And therefore, we should be putting the blame on Epic because they did not tell us before.

Am i understanding this?

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this specific case, but people like you should stop acting like these agreements are above the law.
What's "people like me" in this? I'm absolutely 100% in favor of crossplay and cross progression. As an Xbox/Switch/PS4 owner I stand to benefit greatly from it. And I've been very consistent in criticizing Sony on this and every other thread.

I'm just saying I don't believe there's any legal argument here. When you say these agreements aren't above the las (which is true) - what law is it you believe is being broken?

No, that sounds moronic.
Props to you, I respect anybody who can back down and acknowledge they were being a moron. All it took was swapping some words in your argument for you to see how dumb you sounded.

So I just decided to Check the EULA
You know that thing that no one reads? And its pretty damning IMHO

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/eula

EPIC Games knew the whole time. and they were prepared

[You acknowlege that ANY character data/game progress or any data related to the software may cease to be available to you at any time]
This is not so much a smoking gun regarding the issue at hand as it is a standard explanation of what digital licenses really are. A lot of people confuse their digital goods on these walled gardens as actual property they own (along with all the property rights this would entail), but they aren't and never have been. Hence why all of this situation is a damn shame, but not really illegal or anything.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Your entire account, every aspect of it, is in every online games Eula. They're not all worded in precisely the same manner, but yes it is literally always part of it.

You can argue it all day long. The very thing that everyone is upset about is very specifically written in their EULA (not in general, not like every other EULA, not just for Sony). It is specific. And even if it was like every other EULA (which it is not), when you sign something that is a legal agreement, you are bound by those terms. If you don't want to play by their rules, then don't sign.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
The anti-consumer nature exhibited here and celebrated by some is just gross. No wonder gamers can be manipulated so easy to be sheep and defend their favourite brand despite clearly gross and illegal behaviour.

You can create an account on Switch or Xbox or even on PC and play perfectly fine between those three with the same account. But once your account touches PlayStation that's it, it's lock and all your purchases are now Sony's

You are saying an account made on Xbox is able to "touch" Playstation?
So your Xbox linked account with purcheses can be transfered to PlayStation?

" gamers can be manipulated so easy to be sheep and defend their favourite brand"
I agree with that statement though