• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For how much money they get their service is not acceptable. As I said you get everything I mentioned and much more on PC for free.

Understood, so you're comparing PSN to PC services moreso than other consoles? That's fine since it's up to you where you spend your money and time gaming.

For me I'm happy with the value since I first subscribed to PS + in the PS3 days and I'm happy with the direction they seem to be going in. Excited to see what other changes will come.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that shutting down online services for games in 2019 is ridiculous. The tech is there to start containers on demand (and is there since years!) and not deploy them on a server per game. It makes their infrastructure look like at least 10 years old. There is no need to shutdown anything nowadays in terms of online gaming, at least not from a technical point of view.
Those PS3 servers are over 10 years old though. We all know Sony screwed up their planning for future online, hopefully they get it right after this rebuild and we don't see servers shutting down for old games anymore.

(Also, this is a much better thread than the alternative universe Jim Ryan thread, good work all)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Understood, so you're comparing PSN to PC services moreso than other consoles? That's fine since it's up to you where you spend your money and time gaming.

For me I'm happy with the value since I first subscribed to PS + in the PS3 days and I'm happy with the direction they seem to be going in. Excited to see what other changes will come.

PC is currently leading in digital distribution and digital distribution services. So yeah I will take that as standard because PC is today mostly full digital platform. And offers all of those services in multiple places (Steam, UPlay, Origin...) for free. You still get free games on PC (at least there is one game per month for free on PC).

Those PS3 servers are over 10 years old though. We all know Sony screwed up their planning for future online, hopefully they get it right after this rebuild and we don't see servers shutting down for old games anymore.

(Also, this is a much better thread than the alternative universe Jim Ryan thread, good work all)

Sony is shutting down servers for games less than 3 years old.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's also affecting PS4 games.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently, all signs point towards digital services being the "future" of these platforms, as it accounted for big profits and is effectively making consoles profitable in spite of the natural dwindling of their sales as the hardware moves towards being obsolete. I think it's clear that there's a challenge now to get the massive amount of current PSN users to keep engaging with Sony's network as the unveiling of new hardware draws near and Sony is making a "statement" with this shuffling of Kodera's position that he's the one person better poised to oversee such operation. That's what I understood of this so far, at least. I just hope PSN keeps offering great value with their PS+ deals and maybe starts offering a more robust PS Now service, with downloads for every title, not just PS4 ones.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Hmmm digital services, not sure if I like where this is heading.

You'll never take my game cases!!!!!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PC is currently leading in digital distribution and digital distribution services. So yeah I will take that as standard because PC is today mostly full digital platform. And offers all of those services in multiple places (Steam, UPlay, Origin...) for free. You still get free games on PC (at least there is one game per month for free on PC).

So from your standpoint all console manufacturers are failing to provide worthwhile experiences online?

Regarding paying to play online, yeah, I don't know if we'll ever see that go away on consoles given how much money that helps to rake in. The only way I can see them letting that go is if services like PS Now and xCloud take off so stupendously well that they can make online play free as a sign of goodwill. And even then that's a big if on if they'd actually do that.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 games that are still running on the PS3 server tech. They've made mistakes on this, but those (Gr2 etc) games were culled in the current rebuild. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again
I don't know where they are running but I sure hope that a 3 years old game was not deployed on ten years old hardware with a software concept as old...
How do you know that this is the PS3 server tech that was used? Is there any other server tech being used? What are the details and differences of these techniques?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Given Shawn Layden's answer to CNET I think physical media is safe ;)

CNET:
And delivered over not-the-internet still as well? The first thing I think about when people talk about even downloadable games is the military -- there isn't always good internet to download games in war zones. They need something you can bring to them in a postage box. But that's challenging. When you were developing the PS4, there was talk about making it downloadable only, but you decided to stick to the disk partially because of these reasons.

SHAWN LAYDEN:
I don't know what the timeline is. If the PlayStation continues to grow at this rate, we can leave no gamer behind. But streaming is something that PlayStation is active in and we want to make sure we keep current in that technology.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think Kodera is very alert with regard to what's going on in game services and network services, and that's a good thing for both PlayStation and for us.

This is reassuring that they're not resting on any laurels:

and for me to spearhead the network area to continue creating innovative services and experiences, where competition continues to intensify with many new players joining the business.

We'll see where he takes PSN and their services, but I'm glad they seem to be all-hands-on-deck with regard to it.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where they are running but I sure hope that a 3 years old game was not deployed on ten years old hardware with a software concept as old...
How do you know that this is the PS3 server tech that was used? Is there any other server tech being used? What are the details and differences of these techniques?

Because it's the same tech that didn't allow name changes? They've been rebuilding PSN the last two years - as everybody knows - so I expect things to be different as regards to server closedowns

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's the same tech that didn't allow name changes? They've been rebuilding PSN the last two years - as everybody knows - so I expect things to be different as regards to server closedowns
I don't think this is related, to be honest. One is a major database fuckup at a junior db admin level, the other one is a major issue in a general systems engineer design that, if you are right, has not been addressed for years. I see two mistakes that can happen independently and most likely did.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing as how PSN's browser accounted for 3% of the world's web search, I fully expect PSN to expand its web searching capabilities for PS5.

PSN and PStore are going to fundamentally change Playstation's ecosystem next gen.

> A master account to play all of Playstation's library (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4)
> A new search Engine and with maybe it's own web page to rival Google, Yahoo and Bing
> Beefed up social networking
> Live from Playstation separating from Twitch, becoming its 'own thing' to rival YouTube and Twitch and therefore Sony keeps 90 million active users using Playstation "channels" to stream and keep their content there with monetization being the incentive for big Streamers.
What sort of apocalypse are you predicting?

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't about killing physical media , Sony have made very clear they support it and upcoming nations , collectors , military etc ,

This is about growing the network , increasing revenue etc

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds exciting for PSN. It certainly makes sense to concentrate on this revenue stream even deeper considering it blows the competition out of the water.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
They need to package PS+ and Vue together somehow.
I feel like it isn't integrated correctly into the PSN family since the cost isn't great when including PS+ pricing.
Give us a discount if we are paying for online service and their streaming service.
Vue is pretty great for sport fans since it has ESPN, local channels, NFL/NBA, and SEC Network.
But withe PS+ and Vue, it is pretty much the same as cable TV...barely saving $200 a year.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that shutting down online services for games in 2019 is ridiculous. The tech is there to start containers on demand (and is there since years!) and not deploy them on a server per game. It makes their infrastructure look like at least 10 years old. There is no need to shutdown anything nowadays in terms of online gaming, at least not from a technical point of view.

There's still a maintenance cost even if you can spin up servers on demand, the OS it's running on has to be kept patched and up to date. As does the server software itself.

There's also no guarantee it's running containerised, at best it's probably running on virtual machines. But the virtual images still need patching. It'll just a case of how much time support staff have to spend staying on top of this stuff for games that are barely played by anyone.

It may not seem important but it's that sort of thing that leads to intrusions into networks. Pretty sure the PSN hack was due to a forgotten unpatched Web server.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's still a maintenance cost even if you can spin up servers on demand, the OS it's running on has to be kept patched and up to date. As does the server software itself.

There's also no guarantee it's running containerised, at best it's probably running on virtual machines. But the virtual images still need patching. It'll just a case of how much time support staff have to spend staying on top of this stuff for games that are barely played by anyone.

It may not seem important but it's that sort of thing that leads to intrusions into networks. Pretty sure the PSN hack was due to a forgotten unpatched Web server.
I am well aware of everything you say, I do this stuff daily :) But in nowadays automation and config management tools, these are more or less solved problems. And I'm not talking about spinning up servers but vm's or containers on a machine that is running anyway. If you boot another server for that, it will also be able to serve a service for different games and not only for one game.
And keeping your platform and fleet up2date is one of the most important things to do, although it's often forgotten, especially by the management (but how much money do we make with maintenance?!).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds good to me.. as long as the digital transformation doesn't include everything I despise about Xbox Live, like adverts in my face etc. All in a bid to maximize revenue to that often highlighted 90million plus users. Or their tv and whatever nonsense I want no part of.

This isn't actaully the case though unless you still live in 2008z I've always found PS4 to be far more overt with its take-over ads, it's uninstallable games which require paid hardware m , adverts in the community stream. That's compared to a single advert space on the Xbox front page

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I am well aware of everything you say, I do this stuff daily :) But in nowadays automation and config management tools, these are more or less solved problems. And I'm not talking about spinning up servers but vm's or containers on a machine that is running anyway. If you boot another server for that, it will also be able to serve a service for different games and not only for one game.
And keeping your platform and fleet up2date is one of the most important things to do, although it's often forgotten, especially by the management (but how much money do we make with maintenance?!).

I'd just be surprised if they were there yet. Maybe rebuilding PSN for next generation will get them there, I get the impression they're currently having to be a lot more hands on than they should be, but then things have changed quite a bit in the last five years.

OP
OP

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I think Kodera is very alert with regard to what's going on in game services and network services, and that's a good thing for both PlayStation and for us.

This is reassuring that they're not resting on any laurels:

We'll see where he takes PSN and their services, but I'm glad they seem to be all-hands-on-deck with regard to it.
Yea I agree here. Especially considering Kodera says that he's been talking to the head honcho about this extensively thus to organizational shift. This tells me a few things:

-Kodera knows they aren't where they should be and has expressed that
-ESPECIALLY with regard to where the competition is headed as he noted
-Head honcho recognizes and acknowledges this and has responded accordingly
-Kodera with his expertise and tenure seems confident he can lead the effort and influence the right kind of change

I think they're making the right moves at the right time for PS5s network and services to not get left in the dust. Hopefully there aren't anymore archaic infrastructures in place and this is rebuilt from scratch to be an adaptable modern and agile network. Lord knows they have the user base to support and to thrive financially even further from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me. His talents shouldn't be bogged down by other roles.

I am glad Sony realizes just how much effort needs to go in their network. It will take time until we see it truly grow but they are on the right path for now.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me.. as long as the digital transformation doesn't include everything I despise about Xbox Live, like adverts in my face etc. All in a bid to maximize revenue to that often highlighted 90million plus users. Or their tv and whatever nonsense I want no part of.
What are you talking about? Its already on my PS dashboard

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
What are you talking about? Its already on my PS dashboard

I've never seen one myself, but I know there is an option to turn that off in the settings. I think I turned it off when I first got the machine.

My biggest change wish for the dashboard though is to kill the "TV" interface. It scares the crap out of my daughter when they put horror movie posters and the like in the preview as she tries to navigate into netflix.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Well, PSN is the biggest monster in gaming currently making more money than Nintendo and Microsoft's entire gaming division, so it's no shock Sony would assign on of their best guys to give it his undivided attention and make sure it continues to lead the market.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested to see what changes comes about from this change in leadership. What is weird is that he won't be appointed there until April of this year. That really doesn't give enough time for his feature focus to be there for his vision. It will get some changes to be prioritized for the launch of PS5 though. I just don't expect many, unless they were already in the pipe. Usually takes a couple years to get things towards a vision.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Here's to hoping they start adapting the digital/streaming future like Microsoft is doing.

No interest in their current direction with things. I want a multimedia box, with a Sony subscription service with all 1st party titles day 1.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They need to package PS+ and Vue together somehow.
I feel like it isn't integrated correctly into the PSN family since the cost isn't great when including PS+ pricing.
Give us a discount if we are paying for online service and their streaming service.
Vue is pretty great for sport fans since it has ESPN, local channels, NFL/NBA, and SEC Network.
But withe PS+ and Vue, it is pretty much the same as cable TV...barely saving $200 a year.

The deal may be dead now, but during the holidays I did see a promotion on PS Vue for PS+ members.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Would be wonderful if a proper refund system becomes part of the future of psn.

Refunds for pre-ordered games should even be mandatory. The game hasn't come out yet, why can't I change my mind and buy something else instead?
With released games is different, because I think it could depend of the game. Is the refund system for Steam not abused often?

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017
Here's to hoping they start adapting the digital/streaming future like Microsoft is doing.

No interest in their current direction with things. I want a multimedia box, with a Sony subscription service with all 1st party titles day 1.

Sony actually offers game streaming service unlike MS.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd ask Kodera:
-Improve PSN download and upload speeds.
-Expand both PS Now and Remote Play support to any modern Android device with a screen and Bluetooth/USB to connect a DS pad.
-Improve loading speed of PSN store.
-Increase resolution, codec and latency of PS Now.
-Expand PS Now to many more countries.
-Add an option to get PSNow cheaper if you already have PS+ (not sure if already exists, PS+ still not available in my country).
-Enable crossplay for all games.
-Regarding non-gaming stuff, just add a PS+ discount for Netflix, HBO and Spotify. No need to make Sony related stuff.
-Allow me to buy digital PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP and Vita games on the PS4 and PS5 PSN stores and emulate all these systems on PS5, both these games and the ones I already bougth digitally on these systems.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'd ask Kodera:
-Expand both PS Now and Remote Play support to any modern Android device with a screen and Bluetooth/USB to connect a DS pad.
-Add an option to get PSNow cheaper if you already have PS+ (not sure if already exists, PS+ still not available in my country).
-Regarding non-gaming stuff, just add a PS+ discount for Netflix, HBO and Spotify. No need to make Sony related stuff.
-Allow me to buy digital PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP and Vita games on the PS4 and PS5 PSN stores and emulate all these systems on PS5, both these games and the ones I already bougth digitally on these systems.

Good list.
I think the download/upload speed is regional, I get 350 mbit here in Norway when downloading games. Same with the PSN store but again it might be regional (the speed of the lookups etc). It's quite snappy for me.

PS Now is also supposed to come here soon but I didn't know they nerfed the resolution on the games streamed from there, that would suck. With Remote Play (and a ps4 pro) I get 1080p60 but super sampling is disabled in this mode, probably due to processing requirements.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Interesting that Kodera got back to the digital/subscription/services area at the same time that PS+ leaves PS3 and PS Vita behind.
No more last gen devices holding PSN back.
PSN 2.0 is coming baby, for PS4 & PS5.

Oct 25, 2017

I can see them making progression in that but I don't see the sub service for first party titles happening. Their games are too big for that.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

If you like streaming you should try the PlayStation 4, its users are already in the streaming future. Curious that you'd have 'no interest' in Sony's direction which already includes streaming, which you call the future, yet say they should 'adapt' what Microsoft is doing with streaming, which is currently zero. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say there's not a whole lot of authenticity to this post.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking something similar. I thought it was a demotion but being the President might have restricted his ability in DX area. Moving to Deputy relieves him of some of that burden. Jim Ryan has had success in the EU so his moving to President makes sense for the brand, despite the quotes and erratic zooming he had no control over.

Or I could be totally clueless.
Agreed, not only is it what he wants to do, since it's been his area for a while now, it's also the area that's going to be becoming more and more important going forward so it kind of makes sense that this will enable him to be directly hands-on in it rather than divide his focus in more of a managerial role. Plus now that I think about it there's the whole public side of the job (and probably partnership deal oversight with the third party relations managers?) he never really got into during his short stint in the president role and Jim has done for years building up PS in Europe. From the outside it seems to be a pretty appropriate swap giving their specialties.

I can see them making progression in that but I don't see the sub service for first party titles happening. Their games are too big for that.
Yeah.
I could see them doing some kind of combo discount, but I just can't see them including first party titles day 1 yet. Their games are too big and generally single-player one-time purchase style titles. And in addition of course they've been selling extremely well, some of their best sellers ever.

Sony actually offers game streaming service unlike MS.
This.

OP
OP

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Refunds for pre-ordered games should even be mandatory. The game hasn't come out yet, why can't I change my mind and buy something else instead?
With released games is different, because I think it could depend of the game. Is the refund system for Steam not abused often?
I can see them maybe giving PSN credit but full refunds probably won't happen. Should but probably won't.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You can't refund freely on Steam there are restrictions that said as a consumer that's not my issue to worry about all I know is steam has refunds, Xbox has refunds, seemingly only Nintendo(not 100% sure) and Playstation can't be arsed unless forced through law(although in the case of EU PSN that can have consequences for your account).

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'd ask Kodera:

They will continue to offer movie using the PSN and maybe PSVue. This is impossible to emulate PS3 on PS4, maybe but not sure on PS5. The other improvement seems reasonnable.

PSN Speed it depends of the country, in France, Switzerland, Spain it is excellent. In Luxembourg too, same for Germany.

And I will add one point to your list:
- Give a PSNow only download option, I am not interested by streaming option.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They will continue to offer movie using the PSN and maybe PSVue. This is impossible to emulate PS3 on PS4, maybe but not sure on PS5. The other improvement seems reasonnable.

PSN Speed it depends of the country, in France, Switzerland, Spain it is excellent. In Luxembourg too, same for Germany.

And I will add one point to your list:
- Give a PSNow only download option, I am not interested by streaming option.
PS Vue is limited to a few countries. As an example it isn't available in their main Sonyland market: PAL regions.

Regarding PS4, I said allow me to buy, not to play. As an example, to allow me to activate the download PS3 and Vita games from a PS4 for PS+ games as I can do from the website. When I talked about emulation (so playing) I mentioned PS5.