• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1661155805645901825?t=yfGivt-veKL5fgc8G3y-Mg&s=19
The plan has accelerated from last year's update. The old FY2025 goal is now expected to be reached this fiscal year.

Investment here represents development budgets. Note that this is percentage. The actual total is growing.

The plan from May 2022:
0029.jpg

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Happy that both traditional and live service games are getting a boost in investment. Excited to see what SIE's got cooking with all of this additional investment.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
PS Studios isn't the same as SIE, difference in the projections might come from there.

(2022) **Source: PlayStation Studios internal projections
(2023) **Internal SIE Projection

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Happy that both traditional and live service games are getting a boost in investment. Excited to see what SIE's got cooking with all of this additional investment.
Are they? It looks like traditional was predicted to be 45% investment last year for 2025 but now it's predicted to be 40% of the investment.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Instead of a bad fighting game like all stars battle royale, sony should make a third person hero arena shooter with playstation characters.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think this is going to work out very well. Maybe 1-2 catch fire and enter the mainstream, but I have a feeling many of these are going to end up like Anthem or RDR2 Online.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The overall amount of traditional investment is aiming to be higher than it previously was, meaning it's going up

Untitled.png
Oh you mean it's going up in general from previous years. Yeah, but we already knew that from last year's slide. The news is that traditional games are now a smaller estimated investment from Sony than they were estimated to be last year.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably just Bungie effect, we know they have at least 2 in active development and a 3 rd rumoured one (Destiny 2, Matter and a Extraction Shooter). Destiny also gearing up for what will ever come after The Final Shape.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I just don't think this is going to work out very well. Maybe 1-2 catch fire and enter the mainstream, but I have a feeling many of these are going to end up like Anthem or RDR2 Online.
How are you coming to that conclusion, when you have no concept of what types of games these are going to be? Also RDR2 is massively popular online, support was dropped by R* because they could not make GTAO money.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Oh you mean it's going up in general from previous years. Yeah, but we already knew that from last year's slide. The news is that traditional games are now a smaller estimated investment from Sony than they were estimated to be last year.

That's fine. No doubt it's always a constant moving target as budgets get re-allocated, projects get started and projects get cancelled. The important part is that it's overall going up. A little variation here and there over previous estimates doesn't mean much.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That 1 or 2 could pay for 10 failed and a lot more if it really blows up. Every publisher wants at least 1 or 2.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the actual live service titles. It seems there have been delays.

May 2022 update
0030.jpg

May 2023
R3OyPfU_d.webp

What were the other 2 games for FY2022?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Is that by dollar? Given the difference between game budgets and dev time in 2019 vs 2024, I should expect you need to increase investment just to tread water in terms of annual releases.

We don't have a dollar amount, but the overall budget pool has increased, and going by that chart the allocation for traditional games will also go up.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Wouldn't it be so fucking funny if this shit blew up in their faces immediately right out the gate? Imagine the headlines:

"Sony Has Confirmed At The 2026 Fiscal Year Report That Live Service Games Were Never Their Full Plan"

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they didn't back Honkai Star Rail or Zenless Zone Zero as much, following the success of Genshin Impact.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. No doubt it's always a constant moving target as budgets get re-allocated, projects get started and projects get cancelled. The important part is that it's overall going up. A little variation here and there over previous estimates doesn't mean much.
It could though, if it's going to be a continually downward trend in traditional investment. We can't know based on one year's reprojections, but it's not a POSITIVE direction for traditional games for them to decrease their projected allocation. The increased investment from currently year to 2025 is so relatively small that I could only imagine it being to cover the increasing costs of development and not investing in additional games and resources.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Keep in mind that live service stuff covers a variety of genres.

For instance on the Xbox side Halo Infinite, Forza, sea of thieves, Minecraft, elder scrolls online can all be considered live service and they are all completely different to one another. If Sony is able to produce that sort of variety, should be fine.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do you agree games will cost more to make in 2025 than 2019?

Maybe. I don't make games, and not all games are equal since there's no doubt dozens of factors that go into the budget allocation for each and every game. So I'm in no position to judge how that will be a factor in all of this. I am, however, in a position to draw a red line to say one bar is higher than the other 😁

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a SOCOM live service game please and thank you. Interested to see if Twisted Metal is one of those games, and how it'll work if it is.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
That's how this strategy work, you really only need 1 or 2 games to really be successful, but once they become popular it pays for all the investment.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
As someone who has unlimited time and zero other things to worry about in life this is great news as I can easily play 12 games that require all my attention and constantly ask for money in exchange for daily content.

I'll play these alongside GTA online, every random Ubisoft game, Fortnite, and Destiny.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It was already stated that this was additive by Hermen.

They are investing even more in Single Player too, just that the ratio for Live service is more, which makes sense with how demanding it is to invest in just endeavors.

View: https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1661166197319118855
This also includes BUNGIE that is rumoured to be making 3-5 GAAS/Live Service games alone.

I know right? Like, shouldn't folks who like traditional AAA games be thrilled by this?

View: https://i.imgur.com/3i35pvJ.jpg

Jul 2, 2021
Good.

People like multiplayer games too. (Not me though.)
Now they are doing both. Singleplayer games and multiplayer games.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Sony has always maintained that their service stuff will not affect their single player output, and they have hired in a manner to suggest that this is the case. People shouldn't be worried, they aren't going to hurt what has made them big.