• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
The portable market is too small for two big competitors. Nintendo has Pokemon anyway, which makes them auto win every time.

Oct 25, 2017
If they release a portable and it doesn't somehow play all your PS4 games they are wasting their time. Even if they do that they still might be wasting their time.

With the Switch, the DS, and mobile already competing for time and money in that space I think they'd be wise to just make sure they continue to dominate the console business.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Corp.'s new PlayStation chief John Kodera said he sees a future in portable gaming, departing from his predecessor's view that there's a limited market for handheld games.

Kodera, who replaced Andrew House as the head of the 1.84 trillion yen($16.6 billion) games division in October, said portable gaming should be seen as an important part of the PlayStation ecosystem, adding that Sony is carrying out various experiments in the field. He hinted that the next console may be closely integrated with portable devices, but said it's "not yet the right stage to discuss specific hardware plans."

"In my opinion, rather than separating portable gaming from consoles, it's necessary to continue thinking of it (portable gaming) as one method to deliver more gaming experiences and exploring what our customers want from portable," Kodera said at a roundtable interview on Wednesday in Tokyo. "We want to think about many options."
This sounds like maybe a remote play device as opposed to an actual handheld.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see it happen, but their previous attempt inspires 0 confidence- it barely had a single mainstream system selling game and even that is now on everything (Minecraft). I don't see how another Sony portable would be any better.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nintendo has left a bit of a hole in the handheld market. The 3DS is old and not getting the support that it used to. The Switch is great, but it's expensive and kinda sorta not so portable. If Sony can produce a proper portable at under $200, they might have a winner. They could probably get away without any cartridges, just internal storage.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't that complicated honestly. All your PS5 games simply work on your phone through (ideally) 5G

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
If they avoid proprietary shenanigans they might actually compete. Compatibility with PS5 as a kind of dock would be interesting to see too.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This is from May 2018 which is old as fuck and no he doesn't really hint at a new portable.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's western divisions heard moaning and groaning.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what's it called when a ship has sailed, traveled all around the world twice, came back to where it sailed from, was there for a week so the crew can spend some time with their family, and then sailed again?

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is the Switch occupies both the Nintendo and the PS Vita slot on the market.

So Sony has to either propose something super different than the Switch, or way cheaper, or to have enough exclusives to make it worthwile.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if Persona 5 Crimson releases on it...

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
"Both Sony and Nintendo have been slow to jump into smartphone gaming,"

I don't know about this. Nintendo already has these:

Games
  • Miitomo (2016)
  • Super Mario Run (2016)
  • Fire Emblem Heroes (2017)
  • Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (2017)
  • Dragalia Lost (2018)
  • Mario Kart Tour (2019)
  • Pokémon TCG Online (2011)
  • Pokémon Shuffle Mobile (2015

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I will buy an updated vita that's designed purely for remote play. Probably too niche to be realistic however.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... I took this article as being mostly about mobile gaming and having a better tie in going forward. Doesn't necessarily hint at a new PSP or PSVita model IMO.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has left a bit of a hole in the handheld market. The 3DS is old and not getting the support that it used to. The Switch is great, but it's expensive and kinda sorta not so portable. If Sony can produce a proper portable at under $200, they might have a winner. They could probably get away without any cartridges, just internal storage.
that hole is filled with mobile now i think.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo changed everything. Why would I buy a separate portable that doesn't play my PS4/PS5 games. Hoping everyone just copies Ninty tbh

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand why they would. The switch shows there is a market for it especially in japan.

I would be open to it but i think a 7nm+ ps4 portable (using flash memory, digital only) would be the most likely to succeed but that would be as an accessory and it may not be technological achieve able for a while outside of a 10 inch tablet form factor with a bundled dual shock 4.

If its a dedicated handheld i would be open to it so long as it supports psp and vita games digitally and hopefully other titles.

With the switch so successful you would think any portable they make could piggyback off it and get ports at the least so long as the sony handheld can match switch portable mode

Make it $150-$199 (ideally lower), use microSD cards, use usbc, quad core ARM @1ghz or 2ghz to help with ps4 ports, at least 200-250gflop GPU, 4GB lpddr4 ram and a 4 or 5 inch 720p screen and i'd Buy it

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they are releasing another portable but I'd buy a new Vita or PSP day one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony gives me a portable that can play Bloodborne without streaming lag then I'm all for it.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the next console is a hybrid, I just don't think cloud gaming on a smartphone is there yet. Even cloud gaming on the Switch (RE7) was not the biggest success due to lag.

The article mentions PlayLink, but I'm not sure if Playstation Now is in the best state where it can be updated to become a smartphone app. The convenience of the Switch is that all games can be played at home and on the go with no restriction on what games you can play.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Few months ago news. I haven't found a thread so I opened it one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tation-chief-hints-at-portable-gaming-revival

We might exepect a Vita successor in the coming months? I still can't believe that Sony want to leave the entire portable market to Nintendo.
Are there any possibilities the console being revealed at the TGS?

I can/could. The portable market isn't that big anymore and Sony never was able to really get a good foothold into it. And Nintendo with their switch is already getting more games that Sony tried and failed with their Vita (it's fulfilling the console quality games on handheld that the Vita was supposed to do). Hell, Sony didn't even seem that interested in supporting the Vita for all that long so it's amazing to me if they truly want to put out another handheld. It's like they lost interest almost as soon as the Vita was out (they didn't even give it a try to make it work. Even Nintendo at least made a good attempt with the Wii U which is way more than what you could say with Sony and Vita. Vita got some good games in spite of Sony).

Status
Not open for further replies.