• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5 will set a new bar for consoles. So far, gamers expect a solid-state drive (SSD), ray tracing support, 8K resolution graphics, and possibly even a companion wireless virtual reality headset. All of these premium hardware features will help the PS 5 compete with increasingly alluring cloud gaming services. And it looks like Sony has even more where that came from.

In fact, it looks like the PS 5 will attempt to make loading screens a thing of the past. This is according to a recent continuation patent filed by Sony and which was granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday. The latest version of the patent describes how a future gaming system could split up game environments into various segments to enable smooth loading transitions.

If it performs as described, then gamers could smoothly move to any in-game area without having the game pause to boot up another map.
a-visual-representation-of-how-the-patent-describes-splitting-a-game-map-into-various-segments-and-p.png

A visual representation of how the patent describes splitting a game map into various segments and pre-loading all adjacent areas players move to different places on the map.
more at link

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How will this eliminate loading times? Phone games run off of solid state memory, yet still have load times.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm all for less load times, but isn't this basically what we have today? I'm no expert on the matter but aren't games already primarily loading stuff directly around you?

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
But the tips I get during load screens help me. How will I know how to duck or reload?

I'm screwed.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Picked up Horizon: Zero dawn two weeks ago and still enjoying it very much. I would enjoy it a lot more if my base PS4 wouldn't have to load an area for like a full minute after fast traveling. Can't wait for the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yes - if they grant this patent then they really are quite stupid.
Its not quite the same, but a continuation of such technology. This is related to hardware layer and inline with how they are streaming so fast in that Spider-Man demo.

That article is vaguely describing what they saw in the (already granted) patent, but only share the one image and don't attempt to dive deeper into the patent itself.

Here, knock yourself out:

This patent seems to have bits from 2002 and 2012.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The more RAM it has the easier it will be to eliminate loading screens.

Imagine if developers have access to 20 total GB of RAM. The SSD will help, but so will more RAM.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds a lot like what Soul Reaver did in 1999. I remember this being a huge selling point of Soul Reaver and it was super impressive playing a game like that on the PS1.

Definitely up for any technological advancements in terms of loading screens!

At the most fundamental level, what makes these sandbox games work is their ability to stream in world data on the fly as you play, with no loading whatsoever to disrupt the flow during traversal. What is now the norm was once the most ambitious of gaming concepts - one that initially came to fruition in the console space with the classic Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the original PlayStation.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah someone with a technical background is going to need to deep dive here because at face value "Breaking the game up into chunks that load in and out of memory as you move around so it's seamless" is describing ~20 year old technology that has been really refined in the last 10 with open world games. A lot of games already don't have load screens beyond initial boot unless you fast travel.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wat? you compare a solid state memory in mainstream phones to what cerny achieved in PS5?
this isn't as simple as a plain SSD. We are talking about the latest in NVMe SSD tech + much faster and more abundant RAM you'd find in a phone.
SSDs on PC don't eliminate load times either. Nintendo Switch runs entirely off carts and solid state, yet still has load times.

Next generation consoles will have even more RAM than phones or the Switch, which means more data to have to load up.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hang on...

Filed: July 13, 2012

Isn't this just a renewal of a patent they've had for 7 years already?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copying Microsoft again.

They'll eliminate loading screens but it will still take 4 hours to copy your download files so you can install updates.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Its not quite the same. This is related to hardeare layer and inline with how they are streaming so fast in that Spider-Man demo.

That article is vaguely describing what they saw in the (already granted) patent, but only share the one image and don't attempt to dive deeper into the patent itself.

Here, knock yourself out:

Put this in the OP or something pls , people clearly aren't actually understanding this

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
SSDs on PC don't eliminate load times either. Nintendo Switch runs entirely off carts and solid state, yet still has load times.

Next generation consoles will have even more RAM than phones or the Switch, which means more data to have to load up.
PCs don't have PCIe 4.0 NVMe yet + games being built around this kind of tech. Not all games will probably completely eliminate loading next gen but you'll be surprised by how much of a difference there is going to be and how many games will be instant.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah someone with a technical background is going to need to deep dive here because at face value "Breaking the game up into chunks that load in and out of memory as you move around so it's seamless" is describing ~20 year old technology that has been really refined in the last 10 with open world games. A lot of games already don't have load screens beyond initial boot unless you fast travel.
Also my thoughts on the matter. How the fuck did this patent get approved?
Yeah, I don't get how this is any different than say......World of Warcraft, which had a fairly huge world with the only load times being between continents.

In the digram above, data from Zone X is loaded around and near the player. Okay.....so what happens when the player choses to Fast-Travel to Zone W? The bigger the world the harder it is to eliminate loads, because people will inevitably want to zoom around the map once given the capability.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hang on...

Filed: July 13, 2012

Isn't this just a renewal of a patent they've had for 7 years already?
It seems to be bothe a renewal and continuation of the loading technology first filed in 2001, but with additions related to how much hardware can account for and the ways to avoid loading up until and including restricting player movement (crawing between cracks and such, ya know?)

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
wat? you compare a solid state memory in mainstream phones to what cerny achieved in PS5?

How do you have any idea what Cerny "achieved" with the PS5? All you have is one article describing the intentions with the new hardware. You haven't seen official specs, or feedback for any hardware to make any claims what it will or won't do.

Oct 26, 2017

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Itt, insecure people about their hardware if choice overreact without proper reading.

PS5 isn't just getting your traditional SSD btw.

How do you have any idea what Cerny "achieved" with the PS5? All you have is one article describing the intentions with the new hardware. You haven't seen official specs, or feedback for any hardware to make any claims what it will or won't do.
Actually we do have claims this will be the fastest storage system better than anything in the market.