• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
pc gamers hurt the medium to be honest. TLOUs has helped it big time bringing in $ dollars and people to gaming. If pc gamers cared a little less about specs and didn't mention them in every game thread and just talked about the game then and only then will they start helping the medium instead of scaring people away.
This type of post is so ridiculous. Most PC gamers are console gamers too. Everything doesn't need to be an "us vs them" platform war.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
pc gamers hurt the medium to be honest. TLOUs has helped it big time bringing in $ dollars and people to gaming. If pc gamers cared a little less about specs and didn't mention them in every game thread and just talked about the game then and only then will they start helping the medium instead of scaring people away.

Are there not constant DF threads about the performance differences between MS base and X and Sony base and Pro consoles? No doubt PC gamers talk tech a lot, but this is pot calling the kettle black - every market should talk more about writing and performance rather than res and fps.

89/100? lol.

Again, bring the PC game list I was talking about and let´s see how many current 3rd person adventure games are above 90 in Metacritic. I´m probably doing a wrong search, which is leading me to wrong - believing consoles companies were doing a better job in that genre.

At the risk of backseat modding, please stop your platform warring.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
pretty much and the masses will not know what the heck they are doing. They couldn't tell weather wii u was a peripheral or a new console. pc gamers need to stop cherry picking and flip flopping on how smart the masses are or aren't when it comes to making their arguments. Why are pc gamers even recruiting for people to leave consoles? There is no legit reason for a pc gamer to be acting like xbox and ps4 gamers as far as trying to get people to switch to a different platform. Gaming is as big as it is now because of consoles. trying to kill them will bring us right back to the days before nintendo. Use your heads guys.

A average family in America is not going to buy multiple gaming pcs for the house (3-4 minimum) over a few cheap consoles.. Pc gamers are so out of touch really. The fact that they say pc master race or say superior before mentioning any port coming to their platform shows us this.
Even though I only game on PC currently I am still astounded at some of the counter-arguments coming from both sides. One side will say without exclusives what's the point of consoles while the other side will say i like console gaming because I can sit on my couch with a controller (you can do that on the PC as well) or the PC has no games like Horizon, that's why they are begging for it.

I was hoping in 2020 we could all just enjoy what we enjoy without the ignorance towards preference.

Does anyone remember Sega porting some of their Arcade/Saturn exclusives back in the day to PC? Just a year or so after their releases in console?

Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter, Sonic 3d Blast, Sega Rally and so on.

Nobody cared about that. Those games were and still are Saturn/Arcade games.

PC ports were really good but people still recognized those games as Saturn exclusives. They weren't available on Ps1 or N64.

It will be the same situation if Sony starts porting their exclusives on Pc.

Sega also made games like Seaman and Shenmue.

You do realize you are on a board aimed at the hardcore, right? Of course the small segment of PC gamers that have expensive rigs are more likely to be on here, same with console gamers who don't really enjoy multiplayer games or talk about Call of Duty of FIFA too much.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

You know the next-gen speculation thread, which is exclusively composed by console fans and is only about specs, it's on the tenth OT, right?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does anyone remember Sega porting some of their Arcade/Saturn exclusives back in the day to PC? Just a year or so after their releases in console?

PC ports were really good but people still recognized those games as Saturn exclusives. They weren't available on Ps1 or N64.

True. I mean, Sony ported Twisted Metal 2 to PC back in the PS1 days, which no one seemingly remembers.

It's like how Ori is viewed mostly as an Xbox game, despite being on PC/Switch (at least from what I gather in my circle of friends).

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
User Banned (1 week): System wars, junior account
At the risk of backseat modding, please stop your platform warring.

It is not a "warring", though probably some would like to make that impression if they can´t talk about it.
There is a conversation from previous pages about consoles companies caring more for a genre and, regardless of some saying that can´t be true, no one proved otherwise (and I play on PC as well, but facts are facts).

But thanks anyway, it seems people here tend to cry to modding when they can´t argue a valid point.
Let´s be robots then.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
It is not a "warring", though probably some would like to make that impression if they can´t talk about it.
There is a conversation from previous pages about consoles companies caring more for a genre and, regardless of some saying that can´t be true, no one proved otherwise (and I play on PC as well, but facts are facts).

But thanks anyway, it seems people here tend to cry to modding when they can´t argue a valid point.
Let´s be robots then.
AAA gaming companies in general care a whole lot for that broad, vague 'third person' genre. And guess what the majority of them release these games for PC in addition to consoles. And in the future Sony will as well. They're PC games as much as they are console games.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Thx, dude. Yeah, that's what I would want. I just don't want to build some monster beast rig and have it be obsolete in a year, lol.

Tbh, that's not really something that happens anymore. New consoles releasing is really the only time there's a significant bump in spec requirements. If you are fine with playing on high or medium sometimes you don't really need to upgrade your PC before the next gen refreshes. And even then.. for PS4 and xbox one a GPU was really all you needed to upgrade to keep up.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
How many more people have LoL, WoW, Fortnite, Minecraft or other games that are predominantly PC helped bring into the gaming industry? TLOU is a tiny blip compared to those juggernauts. That's also likely why Sony is exploring PC, consoles are predominantly focused on western countries and Japan, PC (and mobile) are global platforms.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is if you want to play at 4k right? If you're playing at 1080 or 1440, you should be able to go with something older/cheaper, right?
At 1440p don't know what to say but at 1080p sure. For example I'm not too worried about my laptop's RTX 2070 getting obsolete because my laptop's screen is 1080p anyway.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Thx, dude. Yeah, that's what I would want. I just don't want to build some monster beast rig and have it be obsolete in a year, lol.
Sony decision with exclusives will define my strategy. If PS5 maintain exclusive games I will get one and a RTX 3080 2nd semester.
If everything will be available on PC I will get a 3080 ti.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
pretty much and the masses will not know what the heck they are doing. They couldn't tell weather wii u was a peripheral or a new console. pc gamers need to stop cherry picking and flip flopping on how smart the masses are or aren't when it comes to making their arguments. Why are pc gamers even recruiting for people to leave consoles? There is no legit reason for a pc gamer to be acting like xbox and ps4 gamers as far as trying to get people to switch to a different platform. Gaming is as big as it is now because of consoles. trying to kill them will bring us right back to the days before nintendo. Use your heads guys.

A average family in America is not going to buy multiple gaming pcs for the house (3-4 minimum) over a few cheap consoles.. Pc gamers are so out of touch really. The fact that they say pc master race or say superior before mentioning any port coming to their platform shows us this.
Thankfully the world is not just America ;)

At the other half of the world, console is niche and PC (and mobile) is the absolute majority ;)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
89/100? lol.

Again, bring the PC game list I was talking about and let´s see how many current 3rd person adventure games are above 90 in Metacritic. I´m probably doing a wrong search, which is leading me to wrong - believing consoles companies were doing a better job in that genre.

Bip boup metacritic bip boup 3rd person games
b67e65c2ab0428da786c1f53ebfd4243.svg

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The second part of my post is pretty much an acknowledgment that I have no issue with their personal opinion or feelings on the matter. The fact is that objectively there is simply no talent at ND that makes their storytelling beyond anything else. Same as it was for GoT past s3, same as Hannibal is arguably the best written and directed TV of the last decade. We had a pretty great thread about the writing in "prestige" games that got locked because people couldn't take the fact that their prefered medium still has ways to go when it comes to writing outside of a select few western crpgs.

Thing I like is better and that's a fact. I have no issue with people having personal opinions, as long as they understand things I like more are objectively better. Disagreeing with this hurts the medium.

This is literally what you wrote in this and previous post.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is something that is often reiterated here, but is there any hard evidence to support it? The way I see it, Xbox Series X sales will be the first real indicator of whether console gamers see PC as a viable alternative.

If anything, now more so than ever before, PC makes a strong case. You lose a bit on the convenience side of things, sure, but it's the only place where you have access to both Xbox and Playstation exclusives on a single machine. Moreover, you save upto $120 a year by not having to subscribe to Xbox Live and PS Plus for online.

It's really a win-win situation where even someone who previously wouldn't think of touching a PC would begin to consider it as a viable alternative imo.

It's always been true via attach rates and total sales that the vast majority of gamers play a few games a generation, and those games are statistically mostly third party games (IE not exclusive). Most gamers are CoD, FIFA, Madden, GTA, Minecraft players. The PC has never killed consoles before in this environment. Thus, it stands to reason that they're not overlapping markets, certainly not to any worrying degree for a console maker. There is a large contingent of consumers who want to play games and, for various reasons, will never do so on a PC.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
As bothersome as it is to read some staunch fans irrational tirades. People antagonizing are just as bad. Calling Sony fans or this fan base will be upset and it just stirs the pot.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

If this thread were an RPG, then it just maxed out it's "grasping for straws" ability.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see all of Playstation's games come to PC, but this is a good start. I think the future of gaming is platform-agnostic.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Sony decision with exclusives will define my strategy. If PS5 maintain exclusive games I will get one and a RTX 3080 2nd semester.
If everything will be available on PC I will get a 3080 ti.
Honestly, I don't believe we will see Sony's "tentpole" AAA 1st party titles coming to PC day and date any time soon the way Microsoft is doing.

I'd love to be wrong, but I I don't see them making such drastic changes.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Honestly, I don't believe we will see Sony's "tentpole" AAA 1st party titles coming to PC day and date any time soon the way Microsoft is doing.

I just want know if they will talk about what their strategy for PC is. If it is to wait 1 year for any game I will do that easily.

I hope they just don't shadow drop Horizon with no communication of their plans.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if part of their strategy going forward includes more licensed games. That's a big reason I think Spider-Man is now just a matter of time, plus they've already announced MLB The Show.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After so many years of video games, I have definitely seen lots of even weirder, impossible stuffs happening.

ZannrebeI

Oct 24, 2018
* sigh *

And this is why I don't do TL;DRs.

Like look, I'm sorry man but this is exhausting. I explicitly made a post that goes in depth explaining WHY the plastic boxes themselves are a part of your experience when gaming. You can deny that all you want to, but the fact is those designers who do that know all about the experience they are creating. So you can continue to pretend this stuff isn't important, but there are real professionals working on video games and working with those who work on video games who do have to deal with that reality. Video games do not exist in a vacuum. No emotional experience does. That is not how emotions work. Emotional context is a thing. All emotional experience involves it. I went into a huge amount of depth demonstrating many different ways in which this is true in my original post. If you don't want to read it, fine, I get it. It is a long post. That's fair. But please don't be wasting my time because you skimmed a few sentences and replied to a tangent reply to someone I made when I have already spent hours addressing the shit you're talking about. It's kinda lazy and really exhausting on my part to make me repeat myself just for you.

The emotional investment in the plastic box is not responsible solely for the negative behavior being exhibited. That kind of investment is so common as to be ubiquitous, and yet does not produce this behavior with such ubiquity. The specific interaction between several factors are what I believe produces this behavior. I'm not pretending the things I've presented are flawless or immaculately written, but this reductive, simplistic, label-ridden take that ignores all the work I've been putting in to scold me for trying to explore why people make the mistakes they do with some nuance, with just a single paragraph that amounts to "lol nope ur wrong" like, dude that has the be the most annoying frustrating thing ever.

In general you are completely misreading the intent of the stuff I've written, and it's tiresome as hell, man. I really don't have the patience to explain the missing pieces of an argument to someone who's only read a reply to a reply to a TL;DR.

Hate to be the one to tell ya this, and I really shouldn't have to, but I've had several people on here and directly message me on discord and places that they appreciated the post. Already had a few nice in depth discussions.

So...

Not sure...what you were tryna, like, do here? Exactly?
I stand corrrected. Maybe its just me.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Yeah I think we will likely see legacy titles rather than up to generation games

I would love to get a hold of ps1, ps2, and ps3 titles on PC.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
it's a good step in deescalating console wars. It may not appear that way due to the size of this thread. But once the people mad at this see it become the norm, those bad feelings will ever go away. We just need time for it all to play out.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah I think we will likely see legacy titles rather than up to generation games

I would love to get a hold of ps1, ps2, and ps3 titles on PC.

Yeah, all I played until mid 2000s were RTS games (thanks, Blizzard for my first gaming addiction) ; and then I was in Uni for the next like 9 years (2 degrees) and confined to gaming on crappy laptops. I'd love to catch up on some "classics" that I missed out on.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pc gamers are so out of touch really. The fact that they say pc master race or say superior before mentioning any port coming to their platform shows us this.

I realise you're rightfully banned but I hope you know that no one normal says shit like PC Master Race sincerely, and that "superior ports" on PC are unarguably objective because the modularity of PCs means that machines much more powerful than consoles can run the games at frame rates, graphical settings and/or resolutions that are better than what's on console.

I love Bloodborne to death but it would be better running at 4k 60fps on PC.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 week): platform warring, trolling and inflammatory comparisons over multiple posts. Multiple previous bans for similar behaviour.
So you dont want elitism but you make an elitist post

🤷‍♂️

This reminds me neo-nazi's saying that people are racist because they don't accept them. With a lot of exaggeration of course in my example.

I don't see any elitism in my post. It's just annoying to even can't read 9gag because of those elitists posts. I am an elitist for this?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me neo-nazi's saying that people are racist because they don't accept them.

I don't see any elitism in my post. It's just annoying to even can't read 9gag because of those elitists posts. I am an elitist for this?
What the fuck is this post?

it's a good step in deescalating console wars. It may not appear that way due to the size of this thread. But once the people mad at this see it become the norm, those bad feelings will ever go away. We just need time for it all to play out.
This situation sorta reminds me of the original xbox one pitch where MS was very forward thinking with their plans for the console, but to some people it felt so different that they could never see a console that's always connected and doing a lot more than just playing games as the norm. Compared to today where the majority of consoles are always connected to the internet and used to watch movies on netflix and such.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me neo-nazi's saying that people are racist because they don't accept them. With a lot of exaggeration of course in my example.

Holy shiiiit and this is just because a game isn't exclusive anymore.

emote.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well done, you creates one of the absolute worst posts I've ever read on gaming side.

Tag worthy.

I new it...:/

Whataboutism.gif.

A post.
An awful post that competes with the one above.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shiiiit and this is just because a game isn't exclusive anymore.

emote.gif
What???

Whats wrong with you people? did you even read
Yes Bloodborne running at 4k 60fps on PS5 would also make it a superior port, making that banned dude's point even more stupid.

As for the rest of your post, I have no fucking idea what you're on about.
my point was this: