• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2019
Nah, as I said, the LoD can be fairly agressive, which means even stuff 5 meters away can load in front of you. It's not "far away". It's nearby.
okay i investigated your claims and like i said it is fake news. Tell me if you see nearby LoD pop in in the Video..

since i havent a capture card (yet) i can only use the PS4 Pro´s Upload Functionality with by itself soften the image and youtube does the rest. :/

for this reason i uploaded a few flawless Screenshots of HZD to remember some People here HOW GOOD HZD on PS4 already looks. And that there is no need for "PC is needed to iron out the sooo many flaws of this game" talk. ;) btw - no Photomode magic !

1077408d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200119220655.jpg

1077410d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200119222748.jpg

1077412d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200120203556.jpg

1077413d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200120203656.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
okay i investigated your claims and like i said it is fake news. Tell me if you see nearby LoD pop in in the Video..

since i havent a capture card (yet) i can only use the PS4 Pro´s Upload Functionality with by itself soften the image and youtube does the rest. :/

for this reason i uploaded a few flawless Screenshots of HZD to remember some People here HOW GOOD HZD on PS4 already looks. And that there is no need for "Master Race PC is needed to iron out the sooo many flaws of this game" talk. ;) btw - no Photomode magic !

These are all nice, but...PC can polish it to beyond that to a wild degree.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was away for a bit, so this is the first I'm hearing of this news. I said wow!

Soooooo, apologies if this has been asked and answered, is Sony exploring bringing more exclusives to PC next gen?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Pc gaming isn't really a threat to consoles. Even though there is a huge number of pc gamers in the world those numbers are skewed to massive audiences who really don't care for console games.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

for this reason i uploaded a few flawless Screenshots of HZD to remember some People here HOW GOOD HZD on PS4 already looks. And that there is no need for "Master Race PC is needed to iron out the sooo many flaws of this game" talk. ;) btw - no Photomode magic !

1077408d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200119220655.jpg

1077410d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200119222748.jpg

1077412d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200120203556.jpg

1077413d1579551339-spiele-screenshot-thread-bitte-keine-ot-diskussionen-horizon-zero-dawn-_20200120203656.jpg

Nobody's going to be able to see any detail in that video, doesn't really help.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think anyone can argue that the game doesn't look good, and it certainly (assuming the devs properly support the hardware) will look better with the flexibility of options and hardware on PC. However:

a) the bit rate in the video is a abysmal its near impossible to evaluate LOD, so why would that be your way to discuss it?
b) I watched just over 30 sec of the video, and there is some obvious LOD changes 28-30sec, foliage on the right (t-0:30.00 vs t-0:30.03). Simple point being there is no game in existence that has masterfully managed LOD in a way that cannot be seen. There are also a lot of ways to mask LOD transitions, but none are sufficient to hide it entirely.
c) why in the fuck, would you post PS4 Pro (edit - looking that the wrong image, res is correct) still images, to further talk about LOD?
d) "master race" bait is the call of the console warrior

Sep 28, 2019
I almost forgot how awesome can be ambient music in this game. It's time to go back to this beautiful, atmospheric soundtrack.
check out this one here, i was not planning to upload it but since you mentioned the ambient soundtrack i do it anyway.

It is the Track from that Cutscene where Ted "the Fuckhead" murders everyone the Alphas. Everytime that Track gets played it brings me the chills man.
It is rarely used in the game though..

Ah crap, unexpected Horizon Zero Dawn pictures. Now I gotta fix my jaw again and mop up some drool. Thanks for the warning AltissimaRatio.

Seriously even i kinda forgott how good it looks and when i sat down infront of my TV this Evening to make those Vids and screens i was like - Fuck :D

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have a darker video ?
Because it sounds like a great idea indeed for showcasing LoD with 3/4 angles and completly pitch black environnements.
Otherwise, check this from 15 to 30 seconds:

"fake news" welp, no, sorry. As for the rest of your comment, sounds like you're more annoyed about possible improvements than anything else. It doesn't make it a bad looking game.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
There was a confusion , of course do I know that LoD means the transition of different Detail stages for a given object.
And yes I see that HZD is lacking here when it comes to far away distances.
But again, nearby LoD is very good and I played it yesterday... cant remember any LoD Flaws in nearby area.

In Fact the Game was recognized as beautiful and leading in its foliage and environment details when it came out. And it kept its lead until RDR2 came out o consoles.
But only the Lod far away was better there. The nearby LoD and the Details of foliage in general in HZD still beats the PC Version of RDR2.
So I will not accept that someone just brushes the games graphical achievements aside by marginalising it and say on the same sentence that the game in general was lacking in details and that only a PC version can give us the true Vision of the Developers.
Nah, as I said, the LoD can be fairly agressive, which means even stuff 5 meters away can load in front of you. It's not "far away". It's nearby.
You guys might be talking about different versions of the game. There was a time where LoD was pretty bad (especially on the ground), around the time the DLC came out. I remember because I noticed it immediately and I sent some videos to Guerrilla showing the difference (if you didn't have the DLC installed it didn't have that problem). It was patched not long after.

Comparison:

Normal: https://youtu.be/7PQPnRpH5L0
Bugged: https://youtu.be/uQTlDo9xIWs

It's more noticeable around 1:00 and 1:30 when the ground is more even.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
that is surely true. The purpose of my post was to counter some people here who pretend(?) that the Game has some fundamental LoD issues on PS4. Far Distances suffer from LoD . But nearby , like 20m radius nearby is flaweless in this Game.
There is a little LoD pop in closer than that but you'll easily miss it as Decima uses a fading method to bring it in, so it's far less distracting (and certainly not "aggressive") compared to other open world games on current gen consoles. Still the best looking game on consoles this gen IMO, from a technical point of view. Mostly because of the foliage which is in abundance. But still many areas for improvement, certainly image quality and framerate are the two we're guaranteed to get on PC at least. HZD at 60fps will be pretty mind-blowing. And then you think of what HZD2 will look like.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
that is surely true. The purpose of my post was to counter some people here who pretend(?) that the Game has some fundamental LoD issues on PS4. Far Distances suffer from LoD . But nearby , like 20m radius nearby is flaweless in this Game.

I didn't say the game has "fundamental LoD issues". I said it can have an agressive LoD at times. Which you can see in the video I posted or others. Doesn't make it bad. But it's definitely an area that can be greatly improved. And no, it's not "perfect" or "better" or "flawless".

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a darker video ?
Because it sounds like a great idea indeed for showcasing LoD with 3/4 angles and completly pitch black environnements.
Otherwise, check this from 15 to 30 seconds:

"fake news" welp, no, sorry. As for the rest of your comment, sounds like you're more annoyed about possible improvements than anything else. It doesn't make it a bad looking game.

From that this video, you are right at least within the first seconds, though the shadow detail change is more obvious.
I honestly don't care enough to investigate further though, as the only time I might be interested in this, is when if the PC version arrives and feel the urge to change it to better suit what I want / performance. Usually I'd be fine with it as this is pretty minimal.

You guys might be talking about different versions of the game. There was a time where LoD was pretty bad (especially on the ground), around the time the DLC came out. I remember because I noticed it immediately and I sent some videos to Guerrilla showing the difference (if you didn't have the DLC installed it didn't have that problem). It was patched not long after.

Comparison:

Also a good point to bear in mind, I have no idea what was changed between versions.
As I've not played on PS4 longer than 30 mins, I don't really know the extent of any changes.

Dec 12, 2019
check out this one here, i was not planning to upload it but since you mentioned the ambient soundtrack i do it anyway.

It is the Track from that Cutscene where Ted "the Fuckhead" murders everyone the Alphas. Everytime that Track gets played it brings me the chills man.
It is rarely used in the game though..

Ah, I See You're a Man of Culture As Well.

This is one of my favourite track.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they can use the more modern version of the engine and add some tech added to Death Stranding.

Zero Dawn is a very pretty game but god damn if the water doesn't let the side down. They improved that a whole lot in DS

Sep 28, 2019
Probably not relevant to what you are showing but an odd thing I saw, why are the sparkling things disappearing around Aloy as she walks in the beginning of the video?

lol That YOU mentioned it - they are fireflys ;)
I don't think anyone can argue that the game doesn't look good, and it certainly (assuming the devs properly support the hardware) will look better with the flexibility of options and hardware on PC. However:

a) the bit rate in the video is a abysmal its near impossible to evaluate LOD, so why would that be your way to discuss it?
b) I watched just over 30 sec of the video, and there is some obvious LOD changes 28-30sec, foliage on the right (t-0:30.00 vs t-0:30.03). Simple point being there is no game in existence that has masterfully managed LOD in a way that cannot be seen. There are also a lot of ways to mask LOD transitions, but none are sufficient to hide it entirely.
c) why in the fuck, would you post PS4 Pro (edit - looking that the wrong image, res is correct) still images, to further talk about LOD?
d) "master race" bait is the call of the console warrior

Sure the Video is not perfect but if the LoD nearby would be so aggressive
like some people try to claim you would see it anyway . The LoD change you mentioned i think i even saw while plaing and i think it was not the actual level of Detail of the foliage changed but rather the lighting shader kicked in suddenly (wich in al fairness is kinda LoD issue) - but still nothing what makes you worrie when you play and happens very rarely. IF it yould be a actual change of Details out of System Load it would happen all the time, wich it does not, so..
About the Pictures i think i wrote why i posted them?!
I used the Master Race term not as bait , simply because it gets used more by actuall PC People rather than Console folks. But i edited my Post. Dont wanna derail the Topic .
I took these screenshots last year. Ignore the 2nd shot.
This here is probably the Answer :

Comparison:

But like i said - the LoD managment of far Distances has potential to be improved drasticly on PC, unlike nearby LoD.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they are working on a PC/PS5 version with engine improvements.

That was also my first thought when I heard of the PC version. They are very likely also working on a remaster or just a free graphical and performance update of Horizon 1 on PS5 when it launches in late fall.

Aug 2, 2019
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I stopped trying to go for the platinum because I couldn't stand how ugly it looked. I'll just play it on PC now though. How much do you guys think the game will cost?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Sure the Video is not perfect but if the LoD nearby would be so aggressive
like some people try to claim you would see it anyway . The LoD change you mentioned i think i even saw while plaing and i think it was not the actual level of Detail of the foliage changed but rather the lighting shader kicked in suddenly (wich in al fairness is kinda LoD issue) - but still nothing what makes you worrie when you play and happens very rarely. IF it yould be a actual change of Details out of System Load it would happen all the time, wich it does not, so..

It's entirely a LOD issue, and I would say from playing the game myself, that LOD transitions are noticeable and potentially a little more aggressive than other games, ie I felt I noticed it more when I was playing than some other games.

Does that have any bearing on the game, or that it is somehow a detriment to it, or that it is even poorly done in terms of managing LOD? Not in the slightest, and I still think it was mighty impressive on both PS4 / PS4 Pro.

What I hated, and still hate, is the use of fog in high up locale / heavily dense forest areas. I feel it is overdone to maintain performance. And that's true in a ton of games anyway. Just something I don't like the look of it.

About the Pictures i think i wrote why i posted them?!
Some how didn't see the sentence.

I used the Master Race term not as bait , simply because it gets used more by actuall PC People rather than Console folks. But i edited my Post. Dont wanna derail the Topic .
Literally not true, especially on this forum. It is primarily used as some kind of put down, followed by the usual ;) So its fairly obvious what the purpose of these posts are, as usual.

Sep 28, 2019
I wonder if they can use the more modern version of the engine and add some tech added to Death Stranding.

Zero Dawn is a very pretty game but god damn if the water doesn't let the side down. They improved that a whole lot in DS
more likley that the had more system resources left. Death Stranding is an empty Dessert in comparision to HZD.

I didn't say the game has "fundamental LoD issues". I said it can have an agressive LoD at times. Which you can see in the video I posted or others. Doesn't make it bad. But it's definitely an area that can be greatly improved. And no, it's not "perfect" or "better" or "flawless".

No it doesent has aggressive LoD at Times. It has the same Issues of LoD like all other games especially at Distance. The simple fact that there is no LoD change nearby make it for me like flaweless.

Ah, I See You're a Man of Culture As Well.

This is one of my favourite track.
source.gif

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesent has aggressive LoD at Times. It has the same Issues of LoD like all other games especially at Distance. The simple fact that there is no LoD change nearby make it for me like flaweless.

I shown you this isn't the case. So no, it's not flawless. Therefore, it can be improved. And no, it doesn't have the same issues of LoD like "all other games". Believe it or not, there are games on PC which LoD sliders that can go really far away. Which is why Dictator and I are telling you this is something that can be improved.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Not true.

Check this post:

Comparison:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I shown you this isn't the case. So no, it's not flawless. Therefore, it can be improved. And no, it doesn't have the same issues of LoD like "all other games". Believe it or not, there are games on PC which LoD sliders that can go really far away. Which is why Dictator and I are telling you this is something that can be improved.

Yes, there is a ton more that could be done about LOD for this game, and I know that even from what little time I have played. That seems undeniable, so I am not sure why it is being argued against.

Feels like a lot of the time PC users might make this distinction, mostly because we are able to change it most of the time or see it as something we want to change. Not sure why that needs some sort of knee-jerk defence posts on the topic, when it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to see as improvable. I don't think anyone is saying it is unbearable or anything

Sep 28, 2019
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I stopped trying to go for the platinum because I couldn't stand how ugly it looked. I'll just play it on PC now though. How much do you guys think the game will cost?
giphy.gif

It's entirely a LOD issue, and I would say from playing the game myself, that LOD transitions are noticeable and potentially a little more aggressive than other games, ie I felt I noticed it more when I was playing than some other games.

Does that have any bearing on the game, or that it is somehow a detriment to it, or that it is even poorly done in terms of managing LOD? Not in the slightest, and I still think it was mighty impressive on both PS4 / PS4 Pro.

What I hated, and still hate, is the use of fog in high up locale / heavily dense forest areas. I feel it is overdone to maintain performance. And that's true in a ton of games anyway. Just something I don't like the look of it.
i feel i can sign this ;)
Some how didn't see the sentence.
it was something like - to show to People how good the games actualy looks on PS4 already..

Literally not true, especially on this forum. It is primarily used as some kind of put down, followed by the usual ;) So its fairly obvious what the purpose of these posts are, as usual.
I post often in the German PCgamesHardware Forum wich is full of all sorts of PC enthusiasts. There the Term comes more often from them. But yeah - let it rest now.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
How did this thread get to 95 pages, are people really that upset?

The game is 3 years old, it's not enticing anyone to buy a PS4 at this point. Hell, if Sony announced that all future first party games would come to pc 3 years late I don't think it would affect sales of PS5 in any noticeable way.

Sep 28, 2019
PC gamers are going to have fun. Goddamn.

yeah the combat is realy someting ..

what they need to add for HZD2 is that you are able to have the overtaken robots at your side at all times. That would be awesome. Now their radius is limited and you cannot use them to much against other Robots.
However, i managed to get a good battle out of the system with an overtaken Thunderjaw attacking alot of Ai Robots ( and desintegrate them)

Also i could imagine something like a Colloseum Mode were Tribal People letting their Robots fight against each other for money (read shards)

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah the combat is realy someting ..

what they need to add for HZD2 is that you are able to have the overtaken robots at your side at all times. That would be awesome. Now their radius is limited and you cannot use them to much against other Robots.
However, i managed to get a good battle out of the system with an overtaken Thunderjaw attacking alot of Ai Robots ( and desintegrate them)

Also i could imagine something like a Colloseum Mode were Tribal People letting their Robots fight against each other for money (read shards)
Yeah, having an invisible Stalker running at your side with opponents not seeing it until it's too late.

Or better yet, you are cornered at the edge of a cliff and you whistle for your Stormbird and you jump off and land on it, swoop up and destroy everyone, or just jump in midair from Stormbird to Stormbird to T-Rex, like this sequence in Uncharted 4:

And they probably have some Colosseum mode as part of multiplayer (it's already in the lore). Like Horde mode where online opponents control the horde. Imagine raiding a camp with a swarm of machines.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yess Sony, join Microsoft and launch games on Steam! Bloodborne, Spidey, Last of Us 2... would be amazing. Better yet if Nintendo also did that (lol). Mario Maker 2 with shared levels would be amazing.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
How did this thread get to 95 pages, are people really that upset?

The game is 3 years old, it's not enticing anyone to buy a PS4 at this point. Hell, if Sony announced that all future first party games would come to pc 3 years late I don't think it would affect sales of PS5 in any noticeable way.

Please read the current page of this thread, it shows clearly what the current topic is, and it's not fanboyism.

Yess Sony, join Microsoft and launch games on Steam! Bloodborne, Spidey, Last of Us 2... would be amazing. Better yet if Nintendo also did that (lol). Mario Maker 2 with shared levels would be amazing.

Imagine Nintendo ports Mario Maker 2 and you still have to plug in those damn codes to access specific levels haha.