• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
If the only thing that comes out of this is SunhiLegend posting HZD gifs again then it'll still be worth it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think this will be available on pc via ps now where the pc user can download and play instead of streaming
Can't they do that already or is stream only?
PS Now is only available in like 19 countries so that would be a total mistake unless they have plans to expand. Pretty much every major PC storefront supports significantly more countries than that.

(And even MS is behind on that regard but at least their stuff is on steam as well)

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This is becoming some kinda port begging thread lol

It was always going to be so, at least where Bloodborne is concerned. Given how much the PC base loves Dark Souls, it's not a surprise. Even Demon's Souls is on PC via emulator (assuming you own a PS3 and copy of the game), but BB won't be emulated for years yet.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This is becoming some kinda port begging thread lol
It was always going to be so, at least where Bloodborne is concerned. Given how much the PC base loves Dark Souls, it's not a surprise. Even Demon's Souls is on PC via emulator (assuming you own a PS3 and copy of the game), but BB won't be emulated for years yet.
This is a thread about Sony releasing their exclusives games on PC with a follow up tweet that it might not be the only one.

Port begging on era=derailing a thread with asks for the game to be ported to another system which can't really happen here if we're talking about PC ports

Telling someone they're port begging outside of a forum=getting laughed at for being a huge nerd.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
JOAC owner says release is August. Don't know if this is true.

Tweet link: https://twitter.com/alphafoxwarfare/status/1218899990682259457?s=21
Hey, I got no industry knowledge whatsoever. I'm just guessing that Sony's gonna keep starving its faithful base of info to build them up into a next gen hype frenzy for as long as they can before some blowout in the wake of positive reception of heavy hitters like FF7R and TLOU2

And any PC announcements will just be an afterthought. But that's me taking the conservative, "no expectations equals no disappointment" stance.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Jason said there would be other games, so I don't see what's wrong with fans expressing their opinions on which games they would like to see coming. It's not like by doing so they are interrupting the thread. It's a thread specifically about the notion of PS games coming to PC.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
This is a thread about Sony releasing their exclusives games on PC with a follow up tweet that it might not be the only one.

Port begging on era=derailing a thread with asks for the game to be ported to another system which can't really happen here if we're talking about PC ports

Telling someone they're port begging outside of a forum=getting laughed at for being a huge nerd.
No, this is a thread about a rumor saying Horizon maybe is coming to PC. Let's not mix up things. Is not even confirmed Horizon ZD on PC...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, sure, I don't disagree with anything you said. Just, more stating that it was always going to be thus. :)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
All this kind of begs the question: why isn't Sony publishing Death Stranding on PC? They own the IP, they funded the game, they're publishing other titles on PC like Predator and likely HZD.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Are we seriously pretending Horizon doesn't have asset pop-in, muddy texture streaming, and obvious LOD transitions? It's a fucking insanely gorgeous game but come on. These technical deficits are common to literally every single fucking open world game ever, especially on consoles. Horizon does a remarkable job of hiding limitations wherever it can, but they're still there and particularly noticeable whenever you have a clear visual range over a vista. Texture quality in particular drops off fast.

This is like...the 101 of playing open world games on PC. If you could identify one big immediate improvement high end hardware offers these titles it's the increased draw distance on absolutely everything.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is probably the only game I've played on consoles that managed to hide asset/texture draw distance and LOD transitions so well it's borderline not noticable at all.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this kind of begs the question: why isn't Sony publishing Death Stranding on PC? They own the IP, they funded the game, they're publishing other titles on PC like Predator and likely HZD.

Its strange.

I would guess Death Stranding's deal was signed long before Sony decided they wanted in on the PC market and ink was already signed with 505 before Sony decided they where going to make the PC move.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a thread about a rumor saying Horizon maybe is coming to PC. Let's not mix up things. Is not even confirmed Horizon ZD on PC...

Sony is a multi-national corporation with investors, and whilst investors aren't fans, some of the same concerns expressed here may be noted by them (namely, that this may affect PS5 sales in some way). If this were not true, Sony would have stated as much by now, even if just with a generic press release of "We have no plans at this time to port the Horizon IP to other platforms". Neither Kotaku nor Schreier are small players in the games media, so for Sony to completely ignore this for so long basically confirms the rumour as true. It's not like Sony are Valve (a private company who don't excel in communication).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure it is perfectly reasonable in a thread for the rumour from what is considered a reliable person, to explore the further comments from that reliable person - - including the insinuation that it may signal a more agnostic future for Sony, and the insinuation "I don't think it'll be the only one". Now folks have looked back towards multiple others that suggested the same thing. Seems pretty on topic.

My opinion is as stated before, its a broader move to play the ecosystem game and extend PSN to the PC communities it can never reach, that are not willing to buy consoles, but open to the games. Part of that puzzle is native games incorporating PSN across Steam and EGS (just as MS has done on Steam). Then they'll sell advantages of that ecosystem, cloud services, subs etc. All for a very massive secondary revenue stream

They'll shift to a more timed exclusivity approach as they get more established at it. There will still be timed exclusivity for most titles, for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so please tell us what you think of the rumor so far, is it a good thing or bad?

I don't have PS4, so for me is good news since I only have PC and Switch.
I just came here to see if there was any update about the rumor, not to read port begging,...but looks still not confirmed...

Sony is a multi-national corporation with investors, and whilst investors aren't fans, some of the same concerns expressed here may be noted by them (namely, that this may affect PS5 sales in some way). If this were not true, Sony would have stated as much by now, even if just with a generic press release of "We have no plans at this time to port the Horizon IP to other platforms". Neither Kotaku nor Schreier are small players in the games media, so for Sony to completely ignore this for so long basically confirms the rumour as true. It's not like Sony are Valve (a private company who don't excel in communication).

That doesn't mean anything. There is a lot of Nintendo rumors and they never say anything about those rumors...

Games from Sony coming to PC won't affect hardware sales.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Are we seriously pretending Horizon doesn't have asset pop-in, muddy texture streaming, and obvious LOD transitions? It's a fucking insanely gorgeous game but come on. These technical deficits are common to literally every single fucking open world game ever, especially on consoles. Horizon does a remarkable job of hiding limitations wherever it can, but they're still there and particularly noticeable whenever you have a clear visual range over a vista. Texture quality in particular drops off fast.

This is like...the 101 of playing open world games on PC. If you could identify one big immediate improvement high end hardware offers these titles it's the increased draw distance on absolutely everything.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is probably the only game I've played on consoles that managed to hide asset/texture draw distance and LOD transitions so well it's borderline not noticable at all.

My problem with Death Stranding too. The PS4 version lacks any decent AF (again), textures look soupy just 15 feet out lol, and the asset-streaming/pop-in is bleh.

Excited to see if the PC version will alleviate this with faster CPU's and storage, or if it's an engine problem on Guerilla's side.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As a PlayStation fan, I must admit I've been conflicted for a few days.

I used to assume that more platforms = less desire for hardware exclusivity among consumers.

With that said - if Sony remain PS5 exclusive for 1-3 years before expanding to PC - I don't see there being a huge impact on the hardware business they have.

Seems reasonable for PS5 owners since they'd have first dibs. Seems fair to PC consumers to broaden their horizons in terms of software (pun intended). And seems like a solid long term growth strategy for Sony no matter where the PlayStation business goes in 3-5+ years.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I stand corrrected. Maybe its just me.

Plenty of people have discussed it's too long, even for what it is. That's a fair criticism. But so far people who have read it through seem to appreciate it on some level in general. If I rewrote it, it'd probably end up shorter, but I'm a bit too tired to go back and do that right now. It is what it is.

No, thank you for taking the time out to share your thoughts. The vast majority of comments, mine included, never go into such minute detail. And yeah, some on here thoroughly misunderstood your original post, to an extent of utterly failing to grasp basic idea behind what you were trying to convey.

I kind of figured you went through those doubtful emotions shortly after you asked if I was being sarcastic after my initial appreciation.

I was wondering why you didn't make a separate thread... guess you made the right call.

Yeah, unfortunately I've learned to make that choice the hard way. There are just too many people on this forum who feel the need to make their voice heard without doing the decency of putting in the effort to read what the OP is saying and understand what the OP means. They just want to participate. Which I get it, it's easy to do, and I've caught myself doing it too. But it's something you have to weigh when deciding whether to create a thread.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the initial deal was the IP and publishing rights for the Playstation version only. This would allow Kojima to publish/self-publish the game to other platforms without Sony. Kinda like Journey since that one is published by Annapurna but the IP is still Sony's.

Horizon is all Sony which makes it very interesting. Now I'm wondering if having Journey and Quantic Dreams games on Epic and DS on both Epic and Steam is their way of testing the waters. Horizon is probably going the big one to test out. I wonder where that will end up on.

Last edited:

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
The inital deal for DS was made all the way back in 2015 and back then Sony probably had no interest on the PC side and only made it to sign Kojima.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't have PS4, so for me is good news since I only have PC and Switch.
I just came here to see if there was any update about the rumor, not to read port begging,...but looks still not confirmed...

That doesn't mean anything. There is a lot of Nintendo rumors and they never say anything about those rumors...

Games from Sony coming to PC won't affect hardware sales.

-1/3rd of the thread is people arguing it will, citing "mass exodus" of PlayStation owners to PC if Sony won't have any exclusives.
-1/3 of the thread is people arguing that designing 1st party games with PC ports in mind will result in worse quality games.
-about a quarter of the thread is people being happy that more people will get to experience an amazing game.
-The rest are posts wondering why this thread has so many pages.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Maybe the initial deal was the IP and publishing rights for the Playstation version only. This would allow Kojima to publish/self-publish the game to other platforms without Sony. Kinda like Journey since that one is published by Annapurna but the IP is still Sony's.

Horizon is all Sony which makes it very interesting. Now I'm wondering if having Journey and Quantic Dreams games on Epic and DS on both Epic and Steam is their way of testing the waters. Horizon is probably going the big one to test out. I wonder where that will end up on.
If it's Epic Store exclusive then it's not really about reaching out to more gamers.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's Epic Store exclusive then it's not really about reaching out to more gamers.

Didn't QD publish their titles on EGS without any involvement from Sony though? The article says to expect it on Steam and Epic, and based on their first year numbers, it would be ridiculous for Sweeney to pay up the mega deal it would take to make Horizon exclusive. They're running a barebones store and they're still in the red even after exceeding projections. Barring a multi year partnership that would entail all of Sony's games, it doesn't make sense for either side.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My wallet is ready.

-1/3rd of the thread is people arguing it will, citing "mass exodus" of PlayStation owners to PC if Sony won't have any exclusives.
-1/3 of the thread is people arguing that designing 1st party games with PC ports in mind will result in worse quality games.
-about a quarter of the thread is people being happy that more people will get to experience an amazing game.
-The rest are posts wondering why this thread has so many pages.

True.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
and thats before the modders get a hand on this.
I was excited about mods, but then I was reminded about Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. I remember people comparing Origins to Horizon when a game site called Horizon arguably the best looking game ever. Today I looked up the mods for Assassin's Creed Origins and it's mainly reshade and stuff.

This game will have to launch without Denuvo for it to have a chance at good mods, then there's Decima, and how mod friendly it might be. The Quantic Dreams games have Denuvo I think, but I don't think Sony publish it. I don't know if Journey have Denuvo. Keeping my expectations low, but at least it will launch pretty.