• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, in the same way Vimeo reaches the whole internet.
Even though I don't play it myself (and even though I was one of the super salty PC users when EGS started pulling their shit), a bunch of people play Fortnite and the only way to play that on PC is through their launcher which conveniently always loads the front page of their store, so I would say that the youtube/vimeo comparison isn't the best in this case.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it helps a lot. When you don't find a style of play engaging, it's hard to spend much time on a game before you just get bored and quit. Zoomed out, isometric gameplay just does nothing for me, especially with a completely blank slate protagonist.

man i gotta say that i've seen a lot of bad takes on this forum but you have been consistent on just awful, ignorant and nonsensical stuff on this thread

i honestly think you should just do a bit more research before saying some of these things, it's not that hard. Masquerading it as an opinion doesn't really change anything when it's just ....... wrong. Wrong about consoles, wrong about cRPG's, wrong about the PC scene in general on indie, mid tier and bigger games. Wow. That's some effort.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
man i gotta say that i've seen a lot of bad takes on this forum but you have been consistent on just awful, ignorant and nonsensical stuff on this thread

i honestly think you should just do a bit more research before saying some of these things, it's not that hard. Masquerading it as an opinion doesn't really change anything when it's just ....... wrong. Wrong about consoles, wrong about cRPG's, wrong about the PC scene in general on indie, mid tier and bigger games. Wow. That's some effort.

I don't find CRPGs enjoyable. You like 'em, that's fine. I don't. I'm done paying $40 or $60 for another PC-style RPG and then playing it for four hours before inevitably getting bored of the combat and world design and quitting. It's happened so many times now with SO many hyped games, and I'm just done trying.

That in no way diminishes the experiences YOU had with those games. If you have fun with them, I'm happy for you.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find CRPGs enjoyable. You like 'em, that's fine. I don't. I'm done paying $40 or $60 for another PC-style RPG and then playing it for four hours before inevitably getting bored of the combat and world design and quitting. It's happened so many times now with SO many hyped games, and I'm just done trying.

That in no way diminishes the experiences YOU had with those games. If you have fun with them, I'm happy for you.

I absolutely don't mind you not enjoying *anything*, but when people clearly refute that a lot of present cRPG's are not like Baldur's Gate and you just answer with stuff like 'nostalgia helps with that' it's being really obnoxious. The same to some of your answers regarding the purpose of consoles or the PC scene regardings mid tier and more unique games (you know, stuff like Gravity Rush).

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I don't play it myself (and even though I was one of the super salty PC users when EGS started pulling their shit), a bunch of people play Fortnite and the only way to play that on PC is through their launcher which conveniently always loads the front page of their store, so I would say that the youtube/vimeo comparison isn't the best in this case.

I had to google what vimeo is lol.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Are people seriously proposing that EGS's reach as a storefront and not as fortnite's launcher is close to Steam's?
What happened to the supposed monopoly?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Are people seriously proposing that EGS's reach as a storefront and not as fortnite's launcher is close to Steam's?
What happened to the supposed monopoly?
It's only a "monopoly" on M/W/F and alternating weekends. There are special exceptions made, but they need to request those at least two weeks in advance.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's a high chance it will be EGS exclusive.

Sony actually has published multiple games on EGS under SIE. They have never published anything on PC under SIE umbrella before.

That said, if they're smart they'll release their own launcher instead and publish everything in there going forward.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

Sony actually has published multiple games on EGS under SIE. They have never published anything on PC under SIE umbrella before.

That said, if they're smart they'll release their own launcher instead and publish everything in there going forward.

hWpjhna.png

Of those, only one, ReadySet Heroes, seems to be out right now and "exclusive" to EGS. Predator: Hunting Grounds would be another but it's not out yet.

The rest are on Steam.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Eh, I personally think the game releasing on multiple launchers is the most likely thing to happen.

I could see them start working on their own launcher way down the line tho.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Eh, I personally think the game releasing on multiple launchers is the most likely thing to happen.

I could see them start working on their own launcher way down the line tho.
Yeah, that's the best outcome for everyone, we shall see.

I wouldn't call one game "several" though.
I actually said "multiple" though. And yes, I was referring to the already published one and the upcoming one. Even if it's not out yet, they're already publishing the game.

My point is, SIE on PC is their new initiative, and it'll be interesting to see how it goes from here.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
How is this thread so huge. The game is fantastic and glad for those who don't have a PS4 who can finally play. I'm not a graphics maniac but the game looked absolutely gorgeous, just thinking how it will look on PC might melt my face lol.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

It made sense before on smaller games but i don't see how it makes sense for Horizon to be an Epic exclusive.
They have the same reason/strategy as MS for launching their games on Steam.
I could see them launching everywhere at first and slowly create their own launcher and then try to sell you various subscriptions.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS Now is only available in like 19 countries so that would be a total mistake unless they have plans to expand. Pretty much every major PC storefront supports significantly more countries than that.

(And even MS is behind on that regard but at least their stuff is on steam as well)

Why don't you think that they will expand to more countries and to make ps now a must have or more competitive ,they will add games where you can stream and download on console and pc

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you think that they will expand to more countries and to make ps now a must have or more competitive ,they will add games where you can stream and download on console and pc

2 reasons, mainly the second one

1. When it comes to games, both Sony and MS seem to be stuck in their old console mindset and limiting services to far fewer countries than the PC storefronts/launchers support. Every PC store eg. Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, etc. either recognises my country/region or doesn't care which country I'm in, and allows me to purchase games with either my cards or paypal, or both. On PSN, I have to use a US account and my card/paypal is not accepted. I can only use PSN cards to buy games. PS NOW doesn't work at all - not even the trial - because they insist on keeping a card on file as an ongoing payment option. I assume the same applies on XBOX One because if I use the US version of the Windows Store/XBOX app, it doesn't accept my payment. If I use the Windows Store for my country, the games disappear. (Btw: I can use all my payment options on the Switch eShop with no issue). In order to use Game Pass for PC, I had to buy XBL cards. With Origin Access, my card is just charged every month.

2. Since PS Now is mainly for streaming, it does make sense for them to limit the service to certain regions due to latency. Stadia is the same, I imagine xCloud is the same too. So they should allow you to buy and download the games, and also stream if possible if you also have a PS Now account, but not tie both to PS Now with no other way of buying/downloading them. That's why I said that would be a mistake.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should put it on the Playstation Now app too. Maybe make it a Playstation store front just like Rockstar is doing with their games, then people see all the other Playstation games and they might get a subscription. Hmmm

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because they haven't been actively making it more accessible in many countries for many years, and theres no sign of improving.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I think they should put it on the Playstation Now app too. Maybe make it a Playstation store front just like Rockstar is doing with their games, then people see all the other Playstation games and they might get a subscription. Hmmm

I don't think that's quite it, as they want the unique audience both EGS and Steam have, rather than the added maintenance and cost of an additional launcher etc, and effort needed to goad those people onto a new service.

They will do what MS are doing and extend PSN into Steam and EGS via the native games themselves. They can then extend services and benefits of PSN, eg transfer play to PS Now and continue on another device, engaging these communities in other PSN subs etc. It's all to do with reaching these people where they are in a frictionless way.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The post I replied to implied if something exists and is technically accessible to everybody within a particular group, it reaches 100% of that group, which I disagreed with.

And I also doubt Fortnite has any relevance in any of this. People who play Fortnite aren't know for starting up Epic Games to look for the latest AAA game or indie game, and that is exactly why they're paying for exclusivity.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
-1/3rd of the thread is people arguing it will, citing "mass exodus" of PlayStation owners to PC if Sony won't have any exclusives.
-1/3 of the thread is people arguing that designing 1st party games with PC ports in mind will result in worse quality games.
-about a quarter of the thread is people being happy that more people will get to experience an amazing game.
-The rest are posts wondering why this thread has so many pages.
I dunno man, the vast majority of this thread seems to be on board with Horizon & all PlayStation IPs coming to PC. I think the rest while vocal is in the minority.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the best outcome for everyone, we shall see.

I actually said "multiple" though. And yes, I was referring to the already published one and the upcoming one. Even if it's not out yet, they're already publishing the game.

My point is, SIE on PC is their new initiative, and it'll be interesting to see how it goes from here.

Yea honestly the more launchers the better imo.

Just make sure it works properly.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Are you being sarcastic? I mean, I don't mind launchers, actually I kind of like them, but I got the impression PC gamers (especially on Era) hate having more of them, so that's why I ask.
Launchers are fine, exclusivity to them is what people don't like.

That said if you've fully funded a game and only have it on your launcher I don't see an issue. As in if SIE made their own launcher and their games were only on it I'd be fine with it, paying to have a game exclusive to a launcher is what people don't like.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
How is this thread so huge. The game is fantastic and glad for those who don't have a PS4 who can finally play. I'm not a graphics maniac but the game looked absolutely gorgeous, just thinking how it will look on PC might melt my face lol.
On PC hopefully you can see the world outside of photo mode. Even on PS4 Pro the FoV during gameplay is ridiculously tight. Nauseatingly so.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Yea honestly the more launchers the better imo.

Just make sure it works properly.

Launchers are fine, exclusivity to them is what people don't like.

That said if you've fully funded a game and only have it on your launcher I don't see an issue. As in if SIE made their own launcher and their games were only on it I'd be fine with it, paying to have a game exclusive to a launcher is what people don't like.

Thats a horrible future if there is one like that....Segregation will play a huge factor in piracy and a lot of inconveniences related to the different launchers.... also they're just not 'launchers' but more like digital platforms that can have their on ecosystems on which the game is supported. On PC, they are severely behind Steam so until they match steam in terms of features and security I simply iam in complete disagreement of this sort of future. Its kind of a nightmarish one if you ask me.

With all that said I can understand at least when there can be some hard exceptions like Sony having their own launcher because lets be honest... they're a console company that might offer their 1st party games on PC but even then it will be a huge inconvenience for PC gamers because of the feature-set and reliability that steam offers...Thank God that according to these rumors Sony are looking to release it on Steam too.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
More launchers is fine.

As long as they don't moneyhat third party games, which is the thing that people hate.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a horrible future if there is one like that....Segregation will play a huge factor in piracy and a lot of inconveniences related to the different launchers.... also they're just not 'launchers' but more like digital platforms that can have their on ecosystems on which the game is supported. On PC, they are severely behind Steam so until they match steam in terms of features and security I simply iam in complete disagreement of this sort of future. Its kind of a nightmarish one if you ask me.

With all that said I can understand at least when there can be some hard exceptions like Sony having their own launcher because lets be honest... they're a console company that might offer their 1st party games on PC but even then it will be a huge inconvenience for PC gamers because of the feature-set and reliability that steam offers...Thank God that according to these rumors Sony are looking to release it on Steam too.
Might wanna read what I said again, I want everything on every launcher, I'm fine with something being locked to a specific launcher if it was fully funded by them and needs their own integrationI like Dota or CS:GO.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Isn't that for online play? Of course I won't pay a cent for online play but I'll pay if I can access my PSN digital library (ie games that I have digitally on PS).
That would be entirely up to the publisher because you purchased the license to the PlayStation version. It's the same reason why some titles are Xbox Play Anywhere and most are not or why some games come to Game Pass on console but not on PC, because that's up to the publisher and not the platform holder.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Well if there is a Sony Launcher and we need to pay for PS+ to play our PS digital library, I'll take it.

I think it is super doubtful. Seems Sony already recognises it wants to target Steam and EGS audiences. Seems much more plausible that they follow MS and integrate PSN functionality in the native games. They can then extend further products and services that benefit from PNS functionality - PS Now, subs etc. Steam at least seems it will be supporting multiple cloud vendors (alongside its own), and subs

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that for online play? Of course I won't pay a cent for online play but I'll pay if I can access my PSN digital library (ie games that I have digitally on PS).
The fee would likely cover both so you may end up supporting it even if you didn't use it. Not saying you shouldn't (it's your money) just that it might be the case.