• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
We have heard plenty of times from games industry people how most people don't finish games and sometimes only a fraction of a game's playing base even do so.

Example: From a GDC talk by Richard Rouse III
"Statistically, most players don't finish games. We've all seen numbers that say something like a third [do finish games], on average," Rouse III said later in the presentation.
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-dont-finish-games

So with the Top 2 games in the Era 2018 GOTY results being Sony first party published games, it was a good time to look at a stat that these two particular games have in common in regards to the finishing rate of their main story: They have both been completed by more than 50% of their playing base according to data taken directly from PSN.

God of War
dKEfrEu.jpg

Marvel's Spider-Man
vliiaaT.jpg

(this one was actually in line with GoW's completion rate before Christmas, but took a hit presumably from Christmas gifts down to below 50% and is now working its way up again with more of the new players completing the game)

That's mighty impressive! For one they have both sold a boatload of copies: God of War sold 5 million within its first month and Marvel's Spider-Man sold 9 million within its first 2.5 months, so the unusually high completion rates is definitely not explained by a small playing base. They also both have meaty story-lines that take a significant number of hours to complete even when ignoring the plenty of side content they have: 20 hours on average for God of War's main story and 16 hours on average for Spider-Man's main story.

- Here's some example completion rates from my personal pile of completed games to get some reference points, none of them has to my knowledge been given away for free as that tends to screw with completion rates:

Sony first party examples: (to see that they have not been pushing above 50% completion with their story driven first party games immediately prior to GoW/Spider-Man)

Horizon Zero Dawn
bzUxrUd.jpg

Uncharted 4
eIAFzoT.jpg

The Last Guardian
CWf2CeB.jpg

Third party examples:

Red Dead Redemption 2
bxEfCA6.jpg

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
cEwfYGK.jpg

Resident Evil 7
KcHnywo.jpg

The Witcher 3
aFmm3BJ.jpg

Dying Light
yoxdTZk.jpg

- Discussion:
  • What makes the God of War and Spider-Man story-lines different in that they were able to compel the majority of their players to actually complete the games that the other exemplified games were not able to?
  • Are there examples of other (preferably similarly long) games with above 50% main path completion rates?
  • Are there examples of games with shockingly low main path completion rates?
  • Feel free to discuss other talking points as well

Final note before you ask or complain. Yes, Spider-Man is a Sony first party game.
Here is proof from James Stevenson (Insomniac Games) on Sony's heavy involvement in the crafting of the game's story:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What makes the God of War and Spider-Man story-lines different in that they were able to compel the majority of their players to actually complete the games that the other exemplified games were not able to?
I can't say this for God of War but Spider-Man's story has a fantastic sense of flow despite its poor pacing. You're constantly moving from story beat to story beat keeping the player engaged. There are moments of downtime tackling the side content but it is to the game's detriment in the final act IMO. The story finds new ways to keep the experience somewhat fresh until the end. The open-world design accommodates both players that just want to beeline the story and those who'd rather tackle side content first.

If I had to sum it up, the game respects the player's time and lets them take things at their own pace. You could be the busiest person in the world but still find time to finish the story over a few days. I don't think there is any point in the story that dragged at all, can't say this for God of War however. Also helps that the game is generally really fun to play, I didn't get bored of the general moment-to-moment gameplay which kept me in the game longer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if two games are enough to sense a trend, but it's impressive that GOW would achieve that since it's pretty lengthy.
It is one of Sony's best games in recent memory.

Feb 10, 2018
Minor spoilers in here.

I don't think its bucking a trend when games like tomb raider have 44%

But it certainly a good improvement, probably caused by good quality.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm not sure if two games are enough to sense a trend, but it's impressive that GOW would achieve that since it's pretty lengthy.
It is one of Sony's best games in recent memory.
The trend is that most players don't finish games, I found several articles when googling for it. I'm not saying these two games are a trend in themselves, just that they are simply not following the trend of most other games.

Spider-Man also has a stupidly high Platinum %.

Can't look at my PS4 right now, but around 10%, right?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Days Gone will continue this trend. Seeing as how it's an open world title and the combat can be quite challenging from the demo I played, I think it might be more in line with Horizon than GOW/Spider-Man.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Red Dead is at 21%? No wonder... Out of my group of friends of 30 people only me and my friend d finished Red Dead rest of them are either stuck in Chapter 2 or 3 and quickly got bored.of the game because of the gameplay.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main reasons for me at least since I platinumed both and rarely do is:

1) They aren't enormous, both can be fully beaten withing about 20 or so hours, the platinum a dozen or so more.
2) They are really fun to play.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
They aren't not that long and big which helps, Horizon, Witcher 3 and RDR2 are quite different beasts. They are also quite mainstream in what they in comparison to The Last Guardian. Tomb Raider is also pretty high, which isn't to far off from UC, SM or GoW. Being quite polished and fun to play helps also.

Spider-Man also has a stupidly high Platinum %.

It's not hard to get, if you want it, which helps a lot.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I wonder if Days Gone will continue this trend. Seeing as how it's an open world title and the combat can be quite challenging from the demo I played, I think it might be more in line with Horizon than GOW/Spider-Man.
Yeah, it probably will follow Horizon's completion and the first post by vestan is a good explanation for why Spider-Man even though it's an open world game was still able to see the majority complete it with how fun the game was to play. Likewise for God of War, but that is also an almost linear game, which historically helps completion rate.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Smaller games get more people to complete them.

If you can realistically spend 50+ hours in a game, it is no surprise that most people do not finish. Whats more, I think that is okay.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
50%? Wow, that's really high?

Can someone check what the completion rate was for Bloodborne? I just sold my PS4 so i can't. lol

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well God of War and spiderman are not 60+ hour games. I don't think completion correlates with actual quality of the game that much. Come on

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I see here is shorter games are finished more often, except The Last Guardian lol.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
LOL at The Last Guardian. The heck happened there? I would think the opposite since that's a smaller and engaged fanbase.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The thing both have in common is very good to great gameplay with some great characters to keep people engaged for the 20-40 hours. I don't think either game's story has much of a hook (Spidey does get 1 much later in), they are pretty basic, but both pretty much instantly had me liking the main characters and gameplay, Spidey especially so, absolute perfect opening.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LOL at The Last Guardian. The heck happened there? I would think the opposite since that's a smaller and engaged fanbase.
I would guess some of that has to do with hype. It's a first party game so people may have picked it up because they like Uncharted or TLoU and what they got.....was a bit different.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't think two games are enough to say that they are "bucking a trend".
Anyway the reason both Spider Man and God of War stand out when compared to other games is because they achieved a great balance between an engaging story with good pace and good gameplay. Something that really few games achieve.
Add to that the fact that they are not 30+h games, like many others this gen, and you have a perfect mix that can keep any kind of player hooked to it until the end.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think there needs to be more examples to see if there's really a trend towards that st all. IIRC Persona 5 has something like 40-45% and that game literally took me 140 hours to beat, though I'd have to double check at home.

Hitting 50% is still good in general though. clearly they're doing something right to engage people.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there needs to be more examples to see if there's really a trend towards that st all. IIRC Persona 5 has something like 40-45% and that game literally took me 140 hours to beat, though I'd have to double check at home.

Hitting 50% is still good in general though. clearly they're doing something right to engage people.
45%?! No way! Can someone check?

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games are short, and despite that 50% of players could not even bothered to finish them. Not exactly an achievement. GOW earns all the praise it got to turn a franchise in a new direction but it gets a repetitive fast.

If long games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Zelda or Mario Odyssey gets many players to finish them, that would be an achievement. But I think the number of players who finish lengthy Nintendo games are impossible to get.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The dataset is way too small to conclude anything. Plus there's tons of other variables to consider. How long is each game? (Howlongtobeat is down at the moment). What's the time been since release? (For instance, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a much more recent game than God of War, giving people less time to complete it). Does RDR2's epilogue count as the main story? (I haven't played through it, so I genuinely don't know). Do you get the "Playing it safe" achievement in Resident Evil 7 when you play on a harder difficulty? My guess would be no.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to include that one, but because it has different endings with their own trophies I don't think there is a specific trophy for completing the game.

The one for beating the wet nurse is basically right before the ending so that'd be fairly accurate, I recall Bloodbornes having a shockingly high percent relative to how hard it is.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I think that those games have a clear objective so people are more inclined to finish them, games like rdr2 and the Witcher 3 are more laid back and the story can wait while you do other stuff.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Just checked and Persona 5 "A new journey" is at 34.8% (which is still high).

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
50%? Wow, that's really high?

Can someone check what the completion rate was for Bloodborne? I just sold my PS4 so i can't. lol

Bloodborne numbers are not good ones for any metric after being a PS Plus game - every PS Plus game has shit completion rate - and having 'multiple endings'.
Anyway ending trophies for Bloodborne are 10.4%, 13.6% and 14.6%.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think both (and some sony games) have good stories and good to great gameplay.
Also, set pieces/cinematic really help
I only enjoyed spider-man in a second game, with NG+. The entire story works better without the side bullshit. Even the pace is really better.

OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
How long is each game? (Howlongtobeat is down at the moment).

I have the stats from howlongtobeat in the OP.
20 hours for GoW's main story and 16 hours for Spideys main story, so they are not short games.
Do you get the "Playing it safe" achievement in Resident Evil 7 when you play on a harder difficulty? My guess would be no.
It's unlocked when you beat it on any of the higher difficulties, so it shows the exact percentage of the total completions. Same with Uncharted 4's Explorer difficulty trophy.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man and GOW were nicely paced and never felt like a chore. I think they were both the perfect length.

I'm in the middle of RDR2 now since picking it up at release and while I can really get into it and enjoy it when I have some time to sit down and absorb the world, I do have to find the motivation to pick it up at night now. It's slowwwwww.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
But they are significantly bigger than some of the examples that I provided, so there must be other reasons at play.

I mean, they are well designed and paced. They are really, really GOOD short games.

The fact that they are good well paced games is not unique. Plenty of those out there that have much, much worse completion rates.

It is the length in conjunction with that that get people to finish.

It's kind of sad how few people finish their games.

Ehh, its not. Not really. Games are not books. Or movies.

It is perfectly possible to gain a rich, full experience without actually hitting the end credits.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Surely it's simply down to the fact that they're both really really good games, that and the fact that they're not massive time investments.

I personally platinum'd them both, and they never outstayed their welcome.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how this indicates anything, especially when one of the games is extremely short. I usually try to finish most games, even if they start getting boring near the end, but I simply couldn't bring myself to finish Spider-Man; mainly because it didn't do anything new that had not grown old by the time it released anyway. It was just another Arkham open-world game, but for those who prefer Spider-Man. I didn't play Spider-Man or God of War for the "story" either, and only one of them was pretty good in that department anyway. Nothing groundbreaking, simply good.

edit: OK, while I didn't find the story in Spider-Man to be all that great, especially due to how it's broken up and because of the very annoying stealth missions that are supposed to be you playing a "side story", it did at least have some interesting characters, and the parts of the overall story that involved them were the best. I think that game was more episodic though with an overarching story. Some episodes were pretty good, while others fell really flat.

Last edited: