• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More than one platform?

• Yes

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • Yes, PS5 PS Now are a given

Votes: 246 21.9%
  • PS5, PS Now & PC

Votes: 454 40.4%
  • I want my exclusives to stay within the PlayStation ecosystem

Votes: 259 23.1%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2019
The vast bulk of PlayStation revenue is derived from their cut on multiplatform games and platform services. They are operating a platform business, and a damn successful one at that.

Why does resetera perpetually fail to get this simple fact?? Exclusive marquee titles are merely means to attract valuable single-platform owners to their ecosystem and it's insane to risk losing them just to earn some paltry profits.

Because people want them Playstation exclusives without actually buying the hardware. It is ironic that people hard on Sony all the time for not making their games available on more platforms and that they are losing out on money, but no one is port begging Nintendo to do the same.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Realistically, the future is headed towards a digital/streaming route. Both Sony and Nintendo will have their PC equivalent one day. Maybe like PS Now PC alternative, same for Nintendo. But it's not time yet or even anytime soon. Consoles are still big and the exclusives are big sellers. You won't see the true Sony/Nintendo exclusives on anything but their systems. That includes things like Horizon and Zelda. Those are 10+ million sellers. You won't see either of them on PC. What Microsoft does doesn't dictate what Sony or Nintendo are doing.

PS Now for the future is likely as GoW and UC4 were a success. More WWS games on PS Now is definitely going to happen.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
What rumors? Can you give me a link to read it?

Some dude said that HZD will be on PC next February. The thread was closed because he didn't have a reliable track record.

I can totally see Sony IP second party games doing the PS/PC route though like the Quantic Dream games and Death Stranding. Helldivers I believe is another one.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see them going PS5, PSnow + PC in the future but only with their own store.

PS-Store (PC):
- PSN friendlists
- PSN Trophies
- exclusive games
- discounts for games you already own

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Multiplayer stuff like HellDivers or Predator is what they'll put on PC. They won't put Uncharted or God of War on PC tho.

Edit: Forgot Layden said this and he's gone now so who knows if that'll hold up

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Some dude said that HZD will be on PC next February. The thread was closed because he didn't have a reliable track record.

I can totally see Sony IP second party games doing the PS/PC route though like the Quantic Dream games and Death Stranding. Helldivers I believe is another one.
Some random person with bad track record saying that the game is coming to PC makes that a rumor now?
Our standards are that low when it comes to insiders now?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
It makes sense. Detroit, Dayz Gone, and Death Stranding (all d games) were only going to sell so many on PS4 and then stop.

Games like those should be ported to PC just to make them worth making.

Some random person with bad track record saying that the game is coming to PC makes that a rumor now?

Low standards are what rumors are made of. Otherwise, we'd be fine just waiting for official information.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation consoles sell because of long running AAA multiplats far more than actual exclusives (which also help).

An increase in PlayStation console exclusives going to PC whether actual release or via PS Now isn't going to hurt the Playstation brand and/or sales much—especially if they are timed. Games are obviously expensive to make and if the only way certain games could continue to be made is via PC releases then I don't see the problem... better than having fewer games.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Days Gone coming to PC, huh when did that happen? Also Death Stranding was always considered to be a PS4 console exclusive with a PC launch later down the line just like Nioh no? And Detroit Become Human was developed by an independent studio not owned by SIE
Death Stranding is a Sony IP, developed with a Sony Engine, with the support of Sony engineers. NioH is not a Sony IP. Detroit, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Journey, Helldivers are also a Sony first party games with PC ports.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
PC is my main platform so I'd be down. My consoles mostly collect dust these days anyway.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The vast bulk of PlayStation revenue is derived from their cut on multiplatform games and platform services. They are operating a platform business, and a damn successful one at that.

Why does resetera perpetually fail to get this simple fact?? Exclusive marquee titles are merely means to attract valuable single-platform owners to their ecosystem and it's insane to risk losing them just to earn some paltry profits.
I chuckle every time people say its only a tiny hardware profit. Its not about making money on hardware, its about massively expanding your walled garden so you can charge 30% on every 3rd party software sold. Those 30 million copies of GTA5 sold on PS4? Sony straight up owns 10 million of those. There a reason why just the PSN annual revenue is above $10 billion.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
They'll make money from people on PC as well. The money they make from hardware isn't all that much, especially in the beginning.
They don't make money on hardware. They want you to buy hardware so they can sell you software. A bulk of their money is from taking 30% from 3rd party games.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Technically yes! lol Since you can't confirm nor debunk it unless Sony confirms. You just have the right to choose to believe it or not. But the guy is gloating that he was right about Death Stranding coming to PC, but that was announced when the game was so *shrug*

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So they are changing their minds ? and throwing their exlusives to PC ? why they didnt do that with God of war and spiderman etc...
Death Stranding was always going to PC, it was part of the announcement years ago when Sony and Kojima signed their deal. As for Detroit and the QD games? Probably because they're not as significant as other exclusives and because they're not developed in-house.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This poll confuses me.
Do people hope/wish Sony starts releasing their exclusive titles to PC and voted 3rd or they think Sony WILL release them to PC.

I'd say see Sony do exactly what they did last gen and be a Nintendo. They think they don't need to compete too hard when they're the potential new market leader. Better PSNow should be enough.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're still selling the standard PS4 for 300 bucks after 6 years. You better believe they're making bank with hardware. Same goes for Nintendo.

That's exactly what I say, after maybe first couple of years, they start making the profit from hardware, but we all knows it's not the main drive for the profit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they made more from PSN and license fees than hardware itself. We all know hardware is sold at a loss, that's the whole reason why Microsoft has been in red since they join videogame industry.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
It's already happening and will provide an additional revenue stream to an increasingly costly development industry. Think of it like film - box office run, followed by home media, cable etc. Sony can debut a game on PlayStation, then ps now, then finally pc.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a nice high-end PC and be set for the entire generation.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I think Sony makes its own Client/Store on PC this coming generation.
Sony is a business that is leaving a lot of money on the table not being on PC especially since a lot of Japanese players are transitioning more to PC/Mobile.
Traditionalists hardcore PlayStation fans need to realize that A Sony Client/Store would be part of the platform too and it will more than likely give you a play anywhere option Ps5/Pc/Cloud that would benefit you at the end of the day anyway.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"I want my exclusives to stay within the PlayStation ecosystem"
except for fanboyism, why would anyone want that? Serious question
Because i want them to keep on funding huge AAA single player titles that much of the industry moved away from towards GaaS? I wont have the same gurrantee of focus on high quality titles that sell the platform if instead they focus on expanding to PC

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine if they want to keep their SP stuff on the consoles but I'd like to see more of their MP stuff on PC. For instance, put LoU2's (and UC4's while we're at it) MP on PC with crossplay.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Because i want them to keep on funding huge AAA single player titles that much of the industry moved away from towards GaaS? I wont have the same gurrantee of focus on high quality titles that sell the platform if instead they focus on expanding to PC

Why?

What substantive difference does platform make, in this case?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand this Poll. It's like the choices are...
Yes
Yes Kinda
Yes Kinda More
Yes or no depending on your definition of ecosystem.

You don't need your platform tied to a single plastic box. Say the PS5 needs to be sold at a loss in order to keep that price down for the customer. The idea behind that is to make up that difference in the software you sell... What if you didn't need to sell the PS5 to some of your customers in order still get that software sale... Targeting PC will achieve that.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
This makes no sense... how would Sony expanding to PC prevent them from focusing on AAA software?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Technically yes! lol Since you can't confirm nor debunk it unless Sony confirms. You just have the right to choose to believe it or not. But the guy is gloating that he was right about Death Stranding coming to PC, but that was announced when the game was so *shrug*
Half this server said the same thing about Death Stranding lol

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It will eventually happen. Rising costs, and limited market (which the console market is...even with the revenue to makes). Need to grow your userbase and find ways to monetize from it. Streaming is a thing (PSNow) because Sony knows that and they want a larger market to increase profits/revenue. As games/engines are built on PCs, doesn't seem like it wouldn't be something worthwhile. More users, more money.

It's funny seeing forums like this really think that the overlap of gaming PCs and that market the console market is like 1 to 1 or something as if all users who have consoles would stop buying them and get even more expensive PCs to run the same games. I think people need reminders here that the majority of people who buy consoles to play games don't have a gaming PC and they usually wait until the prices drop.

Let's also not forget that time is what is really the competition for these companies...there's so many avenues of screen time consumption from binge watching tv shows and movies on services like Netflix that a lot of people don't have as much time to do that and play as many games as you THINK people play (which frankly isn't that much compared to people on this forum). So in order to get more people into your ecosystem (which is far more important than just your hardware as that has a big ass paywall), you need to expand your reach.

It will eventually happen. Just like how eventually PSNow will be like GamePass. Time will tell. :)

Half this server said the same thing about Death Stranding lol
Angie, we not on Discord lol. ;)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Why?

What substantive difference does platform make, in this case?
The reason why can sony put so much money on these games is because they know that people will buy into their systems and spend on other software in the store leading to future profits.
If sony decides that the whole purpose of their first party games is to be direct money makers, then why not make money through all the microtransactions and DLCs instead. They dont have a guarantee their games will keep on being 10m sellers in the future, so they will need to design their games instead to make sure they will make money even if the game underperforms.
This makes no sense... how would Sony expanding to PC prevent them from focusing on AAA software?
Look above, the thinking that not making games as system sellers and instead as profit drivers not affecting the games is foolish.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
What? what diff makes? PC version doesn't imply GAAS

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
GTA V, FIFA, Madden, yeah the best selling games year after year on consoles come out on PC, and clearly don't hurt console sales, Sony will come.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What multiplayer games?
They've talked about how that were they are lacking in MP, so future ones. Though I wonder if GT Sport would could to PC, the racing sim market is quite big on PC, or is it going to be limited to stuff the size of something like Helldivers.
Dreams will probably get released on PC eventually too, based on MM's comments of wanting to do it.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really understand this Poll. It's like the choices are...
Yes
Yes Kinda
Yes Kinda More
Yes or no depending on your definition of ecosystem.

You don't need your platform tied to a single plastic box. Say the PS5 needs to be sold at a loss in order to keep that price down for the customer. The idea behind that is to make up that difference in the software you sell... What if you didn't need to sell the PS5 to some of your customers in order still get that software sale... Targeting PC will achieve that.

The average gamer only owns one gaming device. A PS5 owner can only buy FIFA from the PS Store which guarantees Sony a 30% cut in addition to revenue from exclusive games. A PC gamer is way more likely to buy FIFA on Steam and use the PS Store just for exclusives.

The equation only makes sense when it's a multiplayer game (your value increase as you are helping to maintain the online population) or bundling exclusives with other multiplatform games as a service (PS Now and Gamepass).

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to see Sony do a later PC release for their games.
After a year, most Sony games get a pretty deep discount. May as well release to PC to sell more copies and increase brand awareness.