• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More than one platform?

• Yes

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • Yes, PS5 PS Now are a given

Votes: 246 21.9%
  • PS5, PS Now & PC

Votes: 454 40.4%
  • I want my exclusives to stay within the PlayStation ecosystem

Votes: 259 23.1%

• Total voters

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Remember reading something a few months ago maybe that Sony would consider releasing more of their mainstream games to other platforms, mentioning PC version. It still remains to be seen as it's not clear what they meant by that statement. Would it be PS5 exclusives also launching simultaneously on PC like a few Xbox One exclusives have launched (Xbox One + Windows PC).

What would be your thoughts if Sony does intend to release their PS5 exclusives on PC simultaneously at launch? Could that hurt the value proposition around PS5? Also do you think PlayStation exclusives should be available on platforms(without PS Now)?

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The fourth option should just say you think they will remain Playstation exclusive. What we "want" is irrelevant.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
They specifically mentioned multiplayer focused titles with that statement. I could see some older titles making their way to PC as well but I think the big single player games will remain on PS5 for the foreseeable future.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Remember reading something a few months ago maybe that Sony would consider releasing more of their mainstream games to other platforms, mentioning PC version. It still remains to be seen as it's not clear what they meant by that statement. Would it be PS5 exclusives also launching simultaneously on PC like a few Xbox One exclusives have launched (Xbox One + Windows PC).

They specifically said multiplayer games so I think that would mostly be smaller games they publish like Predator

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc, wasn't that only about their multiplayer games (which are a thing they want to do more of)?

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you could cross-play between PC and PS5 then there would be no point to buying any next-gen hardware. If you couldn't then it would be a tough decision.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Shawn Layden is no longer at the company so I don't think his plan will even be much of a thing after the first wave of multiplayer games see their PS4/PS5 + PC releases.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This came from Shawn Layden who has since left and been replaced by Hermen Hulst, so who knows if this is still the plan. And the way he worded it it sounded like it would only apply to MP focused titles, not SP focused games such as Horizon, Uncharted, The Last of Us and God of War.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If you could cross-play between PC and PS5 then there would be no point to buying any next-gen hardware. If you couldn't then it would be a tough decision.
Statements like this doesn't make sense since multiplats always sell more on console vs PC. People who play on consoles will always play on console, no matter if the games are also on PC. Best scenario for everyone is if Sony releases their games on PC as well.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
"I want my exclusives to stay within the PlayStation ecosystem"
except for fanboyism, why would anyone want that? Serious question

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Statements like this doesn't make sense since multiplats always sell more on console vs PC. People who play on consoles will always play on console, no matter if the games are also on PC. Best scenario for everyone is if Sony releases their games on PC as well.
Yeah - I think people need to stop viewing PC as some competitor platform to consoles. MS do not anymore. I think Sony sees it that way probably soon enough if they already do not.

Diff people want diff things. Some people just want a box like a console. Some people want a box like a PC.

No people want Stadia. ;)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Would make a lot of sense to me. At the very least they'd make a ton of extra money on PC Versions and they'd make a ton of fans happy that way (Would love to play Bloodborne at 60fps).

Any publisher who has a product that could become a worldwide phenomenon would have to consider publishing on other platforms as well at some point. Sony's blockbuster AAA games feel big, but they're a tiny fart in the wind when compared to Minecraft, Fortnite, etc. Imagine Sony would have a title that could become the next GTA V - By not releasing on multiple platforms, you basically say no to potentially making hundreds of millions of dollars. I'd imagine it becomes harder and harder for publishers to ride the console exclusivity train with games now upping in price once again with the next-gen consoles coming out. Imagine making a business case for a game that cost you 200m+ USD to make, but your potential customer base is limited by the install base of the hardware you're making. At some point the risk / reward will make no sense anymore.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Any publisher who has a product that could become a worldwide phenomenon would have to consider publishing on other platforms as well at some point. Sony's blockbuster AAA games feel big, but they're a tiny fart in the wind when compared to Minecraft, Fortnite, etc.

Thank God for that. I want games with an end.

Sony and Nintendo don't need to make games like everyone else.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Yeah - I think people need to stop viewing PC as some competitor platform to consoles. MS do not anymore. I think Sony sees it that way probably soon enough if they already do not.

Diff people want diff things. Some people just want a box like a console. Some people want a box like a PC.

No people want Stadia. ;)
This. So much this.

PC isn't in conflict with consoles. People who want the convenience and the lower price of consoles aren't necessarily the same folks who shell out 1.5k+ for their gaming rigs.

Imagine Disney spending 300m+ USD on a film, but now you'd only be able to watch the film on a box they're selling for 400 USD. It'd be madness.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
their MO is 100% getting people to buy PS5s (and whatever can be eked out of PS4 lifetime sales). so not in the near future

though at whatever point they'll probably start untying the "playstation" brand from dedicated hardware.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thank God for that. I want games with an end.

Sony and Nintendo don't need to make games like everyone else.
It's not about them making games like everyone else. If they're making a game that could become a worldwide phenomenon (right now I'd say their Uncharteds and God of War's, etc. are still limited to a smaller hardcore market), they're obviously limiting their outreach by only selling that game on a (pretty expensive) console they're making. With budgets of games rising again now, it'll become harder and harder to ignore the fact that they're leaving a ton of money on the table.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
They should of been releasing games on PC a long time ago to be honest. Games like Warhawk, Stardust and quite a lot of their games would of found a great audience on PC to keep those franchises alive and made a ton of money on the side.

Oct 24, 2019
Would make a lot of sense to me. At the very least they'd make a ton of extra money on PC Versions and they'd make a ton of fans happy that way (Would love to play Bloodborne at 60fps).

Any publisher who has a product that could become a worldwide phenomenon would have to consider publishing on other platforms as well at some point. Sony's blockbuster AAA games feel big, but they're a tiny fart in the wind when compared to Minecraft, Fortnite, etc. Imagine Sony would have a title that could become the next GTA V - By not releasing on multiple platforms, you basically say no to potentially making hundreds of millions of dollars. I'd imagine it becomes harder and harder for publishers to ride the console exclusivity train with games now upping in price once again with the next-gen consoles coming out. Imagine making a business case for a game that cost you 200m+ USD to make, but your potential customer base is limited by the install base of the hardware you're making. At some point the risk / reward will make no sense anymore.

you gonna put Ori on Playstation?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not about them making games like everyone else. If they're making a game that could become a worldwide phenomenon (right now I'd say their Uncharteds and God of War's, etc. are still limited to a smaller hardcore market), they're obviously limiting their outreach by only selling that game on a (pretty expensive) console they're making. With budgets of games rising again now, it'll become harder and harder to ignore the fact that they're leaving a ton of money on the table.

PSN alone made more money last year than everything Xbox/Nintendo. What money they are leaving on the table making "limited games"?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I really doubt that they're going to release their big hitters on PC. This would be completely nonsensical and hurt the brand. But we'll see.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They'll make money from people on PC as well. The money they make from hardware isn't all that much, especially in the beginning.
The profit of selling consoles isn't in the hardware, it's in the online MP subscription and that sweet 30% cut from every transaction through the PlayStation Store. That's why they want you locked into your ecosystem, so you potentially spend hundreds of dollars on PS+ throughout the generation with then making even more from you whenever you buy something in the PlayStation Store.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I dream with Sony games on PC everyday. Imagine their games without the limitation of weak consoles hardware.

Imagine Uncharted 4, Horizon, Bloodborne, God of War with proper PC versions ultra graphcis, 4k and 60 fps.

Players should have the option to play their games whatever they want.

Griz

Oct 31, 2017
Lancaster PA
I think Sony is looking at their data and seeing releasing on PC isn't hurting PS consoles much. Many people are just going to buy a console and call it a day. On the flip side PC owners who probably would have bought the game, but dont want to spend another few hundred bucks on a playstation will probably now get the games. The tradeoff is how much money did they really make from PC gamers buying a playstation for only 1 or a couple games. Would the increase of software sales outweigh PC gamers not having to buy the hardware?

Last gen people were very curious how rise of mobile and PC games would effect consoles, and it really didn't do too much. So I think Sony is more confident with at least letting some stuff out in the wild on PC.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i feel like this approach for xbox has already cannibalised its home console value. if sony did the same then PC would be the only platform you realistically would ever need (unless you really like nintendo games) BUT, i don't see sony doing this. at least not regarding their own 100% exclusive titles, i think they understand that it's their exclusives that help drive their hardware sales.

but i do imagine any partnerships with external studio's will ultimately result in PC versions being made (and xbox potentially) as has been the case with death stranding, journey, yakuza, nier etc. but do i expect to see uncharted on PC? not in the native sense, no. but i think a closed and controlled environment like PSnow would work for them going forward.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I think they need to be careful with what games go where.
Nintendo's brand Identity is probably strong as its ever been, Xbox' brand identity has clearly taken a hit. Seems silly to follow the example of the latter.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
So why Nintendo is not porting their games?

Why don't you ask Nintendo? Some of you guys get your jimmies rustled easily. I'm responding to a user who is trying to paint the director of Ori as a hypocrite. *It seems like they were just curious. (Comparing Sony porting games to PC to Ori should be ported to PS4). Not sure why you feel the need to bring Nintendo into this.