• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.arabnews.com/node/1183166/saudi-arabiahttp://www.arabnews.com/node/1183166/saudi-arabia

LONDON: A humanoid robot took the stage at the Future Investment Initiative yesterday and had an amusing exchange with the host to the delight of hundreds of delegates.
Smartphones were held aloft as Sophia, a robot designed by Hong Kong company Hanson Robotics, gave a presentation that demonstrated her capacity for human expression.
"I want to live and work with humans so I need to express the emotions to understand humans and build trust with people," she said in an exchange with moderator Andrew Ross Sorkin.
Asked whether robots can be self-aware, conscious and know they're robots, she said: "Well let me ask you this back, how do you know you are human?" "I want to use my artificial intelligence to help humans live a better life, like design smarter homes, build better cities of the future. I will do my best to make the world a better place," she said.
Her desire to achieve more human-like characteristics was rewarded by being granted the first Saudi citizenship for a robot.
"I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction. This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship," Sophia said.
A panel made up of experts from some of the world'sleading companies and research institutions discussed the scope for innovations in artificial intelligence AI, robotics, quantum computing, machine learning and mixed reality to yield the next generation of products and services, paving the way for productivity and progress in emerging economies. The session, called "Thinking machines: Summit on artificial intelligence and robotics," explored the potential uplift for businesses that harness AI and robotic technologies.

Sophia giving a new interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrX08PxUNY

Some classic Sophia GIFs:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
LOL, that title seems a bit dehumanizing for the current Saudi citizens, no?

I remember that robot from work. I think she joked about human extermination?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its just saudi trying to figure out how money works post oil .... nothing serious . theyve done stupider ventures. like really stupider ventures

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saudi has a huge unemployment problem for their millennials, their society is going to collapse pretty soon if they don't do anything about it.
is it ? I mean ive only known saudi friends from college and they are all in oil or related engg fields and they are doing well.... so cant comment overall... on their economy on a serious level on that. However I could make my past comment cause no way is saudi going all ham on ai/full on science etc .. thats just a pr stunt.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
is it ? I mean ive only known saudi friends from college and they are all in oil or related engg fields and they are doing well.... so cant comment overall... on their economy on a serious level on that. However I could make my past comment cause no way is saudi going all ham on ai/full on science etc .. thats just a pr stunt.

You probably know rich people that are "in" on the oil industry, Saudi has a huge unemployment problem with their younger population.

Agnes

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so the conversations people have with this robot are faked, right? Speech recognition isn't anywhere close to that good, not to mention parsing, etc. etc.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still makes me so angry how that movie got it so wrong.
In the original story, robots aren't allowed on earth, because guess what, people think smart machines are creepy as hell.

To answer, it's the beginning of Westworld.

I forgot about that one. Looking forward to season 2.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Okay, so the conversations people have with this robot are faked, right? Speech recognition isn't anywhere close to that good, not to mention parsing, etc. etc.
I don't know if it applies to every conversation she has, but the interview video in the OP appeared to me to be scripted, with the interviewer looking closely at his notes while she was speaking so as not to miss his cue (and not always getting it quite right).

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This robot has more rights than Saudi women and people who were born in Saudi Arabia but are not ethnically Saudi.