• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/arts/television/sophie-turner-sansa-stark.html

Honestly, I'm not surprised. People always have an idea in their heads of how they want a show to finish, and so when it doesn't go to their liking, they start to speak up about it and rebel.

The thing about "Game of Thrones" that's always been amazing is the fact that there's always been crazy twists and turns, right from Season 1 with Ned's beheading. So Daenerys becoming something of the Mad Queen — it shouldn't be such a negative thing for fans. It's a shock for sure, but I think it's just because it hasn't gone their way.

All of these petitions and things like that — I think it's disrespectful to the crew, and the writers, and the filmmakers who have worked tirelessly over 10 years, and for 11 months shooting the last season. Like 50-something night shoots. So many people worked so, so hard on it, and for people to just rubbish it because it's not what they want to see is just disrespectful.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
False queen.

EasyTanAfghanhound-max-1mb.gif

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sophie, Dark Phoenix comes out soon. You have a LOT more to be concerned about that this...

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crew and cast worked their asses off, I have no doubt. D&D are the ones that disrespected the story by rushing it because they want to do Star Wars.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This is a no-win situation. Responding to that ridiculous petition, I mean. Just stay above the fray.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The issue isn't the 'twists and turns', it's how they got there. But obviously besides that, petitions like that are useless, stupid and won't change anything.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sansa is a snake and not far removed from going full blown Cersei.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crew and cast worked their asses off, I have no doubt. D&D are the ones that disrespected the story by rushing it because they want to do Star Wars.

The petition literally says that everyone involved in the production did a wonderful job except for D&D, and Kit and Sophie still have to jump in and show their ass defending a dumpster fire they're not even paid for anymore lol

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is a dumb petition but I just think the fans feel disrespected by how terribly the writers handled these characters.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's easy to say because there's literally no chance an entire season of any show will be remade just because of a petition

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
People aren't pissed about the heel turn (well, some are :-/), they're pissed because the show handled it with dick fingers.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
The issue is writers rushing a plot just to jump ship for that Disney Star Wars money. They where offered more seasons and they said no

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When are the actors going to finally stop pretending they think it's about the ending, when they know full well its about the rushed writing?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think the writing was disrespectful to the crew, filmmakers, vfx artists, costume department, actors, characters, source material, and the audience.

The petition is still dumb.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The petition literally says that everyone involved in the production did a wonderful job except for D&D, and Kit and Sophie still have to jump in and show their ass defending a dumpster fire they're not even paid for anymore lol
A petition asking for a remake is asking the cast/crew to re-do a whole lot of work as well. Hence, you see some of the cast actively annoyed by it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think fans are even that upset at the heel turn. It's how it was handled. It definitely feels less "I didn't have my way" and more "the way they got there was fucking stupid."

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I understand their loyalty, I wouldn't expect them to say otherwise.

I don't agree with them though, the guy who started the petition articulates his points quite well.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
People keep trying to defend the show by just listing the plot points, when the plot points weren't the issue it was how D&D got to them. They took GRRM's cliffsnotes and failed to write an interesting story around them. there's a reason GRRM needs 2 of his massively packed novels to end this story, it was never going to be able to be done in 2 shortened seasons.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Are you saying the show runners of one of the most successful shows of all time don't deserve to be congratulated along with everyone else who gave a decade of their lives to this thing? That seems really fucking pathetic.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's not wrong. The people signing those petitions are complete shitheads. Pathetic losers.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That's not it. People have valid complains about the structure and pacing of the show! And that what gives them the right to be inconsiderate entitled jerks.

Bad sarcasm aside. People should not let their honest disappointment into bitterness and hate and hope for other's failures. It's bad for everybody.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Petition is ridiculous.
Season 8 is ridiculous.

Everyone looses.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
people petitioning to change some aspect of a movie or television show are being childish and stupid

go call your mom or something

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It is very disrespectful, and tasteless.

Disappointed fans are the worst.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who worked months of 12 hour night shifts 6+ days a week to produce building materials for a project with tight deadlines only to have engineers spec a new product at the end of the day and all that work end up in a landfill... it's ok Sophie. As long as everyone got paid, your work doesn't need to inspire a spiritual awakening in people. Sometimes your best efforts just produce shit that goes in the trash.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The petition is so "dumb" that's it's been featured on CNN and other mass media outlets globally and is going to cross 1.5 million sigs in a few hours.

Now the actors are chiming in. Say what you want, but the petition has definitely gotten attention and given voice to a lot of frustrated fans.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shock for sure, but I think it's just because it hasn't gone their way.

Again with the intellectually lazy dismissal of genuine criticism.

The ending season was planned, written, and executed poorly. There is enough out there substantiating this as a reasonable opinion.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you saying the show runners of one of the most successful shows of all time don't deserve to be congratulated along with everyone else who gave a decade of their lives to this thing? That seems really fucking pathetic.

Show runners didn't want to make the show anymore, and instead of handing it off to a fresh group of writers who can give it the time and care the ending of a massive story they told HBO they wanted less episodes and for it to be wrapped up in time so they can start the new Star Wars projects.

Yes, they deserve credit for creating the show and bringing a story that was nearly impossible to adapt to screen. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be heavily criticized for being incredibly selfish and not letting someone one else take the show off their hands when they clearly stopped being fully invested and wanted to rush the ending.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
She should read it and realize it praised the crew. It was only "disrespectful" to D&D and the other writers, who frankly deserve it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The thing that bugs me about all this is... why can't people be pissed that they didn't get their way? This notion that everyone has to criticise the story purely on its own terms is some really 'corporate' thinking, especially when it's being used to deflect criticisms of all kinds.

But nah, people who took 5 minutes at most out of their day to click a button in a link are pathetic worthless losers and the worst. I hope they never find love... or something.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with what she's saying. The end the way the story started and ended in season 8 is an entire different matter.