• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen any of the criticism being leveled at the actors and production stuff. This was the most eventful season by far and they did it in 6 episodes. I don't know what the hell the writers were thinking. A lot of people are disappointed that their favorite characters didn't have more to work with.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
this might sound crazy but maybe they didn't actually think they were rushing it? Maybe the decision to end with two shortened seasons was an honest, if misjudged, determination of how much time they needed for the story? Maybe it's actually got nothing to do with Star Wars or egos or whatever other new theory people want to cook up and simply comes down to a difference of opinions on story real estate? I know that's the boring answer that doesn't adequately characterize these two as egotistical, greedy hacks who actually don't even give a shit about the show they spent a decade of their lives on, but hey, you never know.

I think it's mostly this + lack of source material. I don't doubt we would have made it to Season 10 with the books being out. Expecting D&D to fill seasons worth of nuance, rich dialogue, intricate storylines completely on their own when they signed on to adapt a book series having little prior experience, is always gonna be naive.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I have no doubt everybody worked super hard, and the episode are still fun to watch, but I mean, doesn't Sophie Turner get paid like half a million dollars for each episode? Like I get it, you put years of your life and blood and sweat and tears into it, but you also made millions of dollars, it's not like it was a volunteer situation or something.

On the flipside, people have every right to be upset about a show they paid hundreds of dollars to watch over a decade ending with a super rushed, poorly written 8 episodes like 2 years after the previous season.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Personally I don't think they rushed it. From their point of view at least.

They had a rough outline and didn't have a way to flesh it out into complete seasons. What we got was really just that outline without the 1000+ pages attached to it.

The book has been in development for 8 years. They could never match that so they just filmed the outline with the minimum scenes to connect it all. And it didn't land. Because an outline without character development and stories to flesh it out is not something it works and you end up with two seasons that could've been four. But they didn't have anything but the outline and no way to make it into a full story.

It's a rushed mess but I believe it when they say they didn't have more story and this was the plan.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know I'm actually curious what the difference of opinion is between the actors of the show depending on how their character ended. I imagine Sophie appreciates the ending better because Sansa ended on a more favorable note than Emilia's Daenerys.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this might sound crazy but maybe they didn't actually think they were rushing it? Maybe the decision to end with two shortened seasons was an honest, if misjudged, determination of how much time they needed for the story? Maybe it's actually got nothing to do with Star Wars or egos or whatever other new theory people want to cook up and simply comes down to a difference of opinions on story real estate? I know that's the boring answer that doesn't adequately characterize these two as egotistical, greedy hacks who actually don't even give a shit about the show they spent a decade of their lives on, but hey, you never know.

Well I'm sure Lucas also genuinely actually believed Jar Jar was a great idea that would go over great. No one goes into these things thinking it'll fail.

I don't think from D&D's POV there was ever much alternative anyway. Handing the show over to someone else and not finishing it would hurt the ego too much.

But doing another 1-2 seasons would also hold back their individual careers.

So they chose to compromise the show's ending and condense it.

But in doing so they were always playing with fire. Well there's a lot of fire now predictably.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
HBO wanted more Game of Thrones seasons. The actors I am sure would not have minded getting paid for another couple of years.

The actors actually strike me as the ones most willing to want to leave. They can get paid for far easier work. Especially for the core cast looking to move more into movies. The behind-the-scenes interview done around the Long Night episode made them sound absolutely miserable lol

What is Occam's Razor?

I mean if you think those guys are bad storytellers, then isn't the simplest explanation for why the final seasons were rushed, bad, whatever is that...they're bad storytellers?

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
You make it sound like having competent writers is a bad thing.

Lmao come on man. Dont be dense

If you're not angry you're doing a terrible job of showing it. You seem maaaad about this wretched "petulance"

I think toxic fandom like this petition has done a lot of damage lately, and situations like to TLJ, ME3, Capt Marvel etc should be a warning to where it goes. allowing it to go uncriticized is a mistake

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
False queen.

EasyTanAfghanhound-max-1mb.gif
Yup Dany should have given her to drogon as a nice treat for the upcoming battle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hilarious irony is the rushed Dany ending mirrored D&Ds situation ... they worked for years on something incredible only to get to the finish line and basically burn it down to ashes inexplicably.

Now I guess the upset fans are driving a knife through their hearts lol.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hilarious irony is the rushed Dany ending mirrored D&Ds situation ... they worked for years on something incredible only to get to the finish line and basically burn it down to ashes inexplicably.

Now I guess the upset fans are driving a knife through their hearts lol.

Most of the fans are Tyrions now, there are still some Jons left in denial. 😂

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
dany fans will never be happy because they are too busy waiting for dany to tell them what to be happy for. they'll wait forever considering the mad queen got rekt

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people using the term toxic in regards to a petition? Just curious, surely other things in this world are more married to that term than a petition about a TV show.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
But doing another 1-2 seasons would also hold back their individual careers.

So they chose to compromise the show's ending and condense it.

Season 8 took two years to make. Two years! Every other season took one. They literally doubled their amount of time on the last season of the show! I'm not sure why you keep glossing over this, but they did not save themselves any time for moving on with their careers.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
she's wrong ned stark plot twist nobody wanted, but it was awesome and well made the same thing with the red wedding, this ending and its twists are bad written and developed its not the actors or crew fault the photography was amazing as some actors and special effects, its the writers fault.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 8 took two years to make. Two years! Every other season took one. They did not save themselves any time for moving on with their careers. They literally doubled their amount of time on the last season of the show! I'm not sure why you keep glossing over this.

This show really needed longer than that to end and they only spent 6 months actually filming it.

They needed really two more seasons probably given all that needed to be covered, but you can't have Star Wars until 2025 if that's the case.

Condensing the show and rushing the ending as much as possible was the compromise that was chosen. I don't think history will judge that decision well.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I think toxic fandom like this petition has done a lot of damage lately, and situations like to TLJ, ME3, Capt Marvel etc should be a warning to where it goes. allowing it to go uncriticized is a mistake
I agree with this a LOT. And it's like the height of irony too because a lot of the same people who criticize the toxicity of the fandom of those you mentioned are the very same ones in this very thread and the dozens of other threads being extremely toxic. I feel like people are super up in their feelings and need to just take a step back and realize that it's just entertainment.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If you don't even believe that one I'm not going to bother linking the other 2 pieces of evidence I came across.

Because it was fake, my god, are you that naive? Do you believe everything you read and see on the internet?

Please post the other pieces of evidence because if they are completely factual then fair enough, I'll apologize.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how Emilia Clarke has taken the high road and has either chose to not make a big deal out of it or not said anything at all when asked, even though her character was screwed the most. Actually scratch that, she has actually been kinda intrsted in it:

In an interview with The New Yorker, Clarke indicated she was previously unaware of the petition, but was asked what she'd want to happen if Season 8 were redone, and responded "I can only speak to my own character, and the people that I interact with on the show. But I would've loved some more scenes with me and Missandei. I would've loved some more scenes with me and Cersei."

Expanding on those thoughts, Clarke said "I would've loved some more scenes between Grey Worm and Missandei. I would've loved to see a bit more between Cersei... I feel like there was... The genocide was there. That was always going to happen. And I just think more dissection and those beautifully written scenes that the boys have between characters—that we are more than happy to contently sit there and watch ten minutes of two people talking, because it's beautiful. I just wanted to see a bit more of that. But I'm in no position to critique the geniuses that have written eight seasons' worth of wonderful stuff."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...ition-with-what-she-wants-changed-in-season-8

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
i bet we're getting laughed at now by the folks who signed the petition on here about how much more time we're spending on this than they did signing it. we've been had

dark phoenix will flop now

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The people who support the petition are glad they went from a internet message board joke to a national news joke.

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity is this "rushed because of Star Wars" narrative actually based on some specific information or is it just what people are assuming? I have no investment one way or the other but it seems like a crazy thing for them to have ever said or implied.

I was just talking about this with a co-worker. The confidence with which people state things like "All because they wanted to rush out the door to get working on Star Wars." is actually amazing to me. It is a perverse blend of tabloid culture, agenda setting theory and illusory truth.

GRRM himself is far more pragmatic about the realities of TV and film production. He understands the hurdles of talent gathering, the strict nature of a near finalized script, and cost. He talks about this a lot -- things that he would have loved to have seen in the series but just weren't practical or possible.

Just look at the budget for this series. Season 6 peaked around $10million per episode. ~100million for the season. Season 8 is sitting at $15million per episode or ~$90million for the season by reports. That heavily implies that HBO has a finite amount of money that they are willing to allocate to production. Perhaps they are holding back, but that is their decision. The money is pretty consistent and speaks for itself. It's a monumental feat that we ever made it this far (from season 1 production and budget, to seasons 6-8).

So lets say we had more time to build exposition. Another 2, 3, 4 episodes? How much exposition would have been needed to please the unhappy fans? We have no reason to believe that HBO is ready to pay this much for a single season. So then the conversation moves to more seasons, but how long are all the people involved expected to keep this up? It has already been a decade since production started. I'm sure some of them want to stick around and collect a paycheck. But many will have been ready to move on. You can't tie these people up forever. (Except George. Get back to Santa Fe and keep writing! *whip crack*)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
She's isn't wrong, there's a lot of talented people who put their all behind the show (set designers, costume designers, composers, actors, sfx teams). But the final season was a poorly executed, badly written, massively rushed, mess that largely pissed away anything interesting that was built up over years, which makes it hard to appropriate the good part.
I have no interest in signing a pointless petition, but I can understand why a significant amount of people are upset and it's not as simple as "just because it didn't go the way they wanted" I don't really have too much of a problem with how it went, if executed well, with proper build and good writing I'd have probably loved it even, but it didn't.

Nov 7, 2017
She should read it and realize it praised the crew. It was only "disrespectful" to D&D and the other writers, who frankly deserve it.
The petition would require everyone involved - cast, crew, extras, staff- to fly back and reshoot their scenes for months. It's disrespectful, it's also an embarrassing example of the worst and most entitled nerds.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
she's wrong ned stark plot twist nobody wanted, but it was awesome and well made the same thing with the red wedding, this ending and its twists are bad written and developed its not the actors or crew fault the photography was amazing as some actors and special effects, its the writers fault.
Those twists you pointed out as well written are almost at verbatim that way in the books.

I have no horse in this race as I ditched the series with S5 because lets be real, the point were they ran out of the book material the series went to shit. But to me it seems D&D aren't those amazing storytellers everyone made them out to be these past few years.

They did a pretty good job adapting the books but that's it. No real interest in anything going forward where they are extensively involved in writing.