• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just fans that are reacting badly to the final season either, the critics are giving the final season shockingly low scores relative to other seasons as well in several instances.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She grew up on the show and it made her who she is, of course she was going to defend it and most here would do the same in her shoes. Especially when there is the vitriol going around right now.
You can defend your work without dismissing legitimate criticism, I feel. The issue is her blanket handwaving of anyone unhappy as "people mad things didn't go their way". That's poor form.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This show really needed longer than that to end and they only spent 6 months actually filming it.

Filming for S8 ran for 9 months. And then there's a shit load of post-production work to follow.

I don't even know what you're arguing. We watched S7 in 2017. We watched S8 in 2019. That's a two-year gap, yes? So unless D&D were sitting on their asses most of that time, and HBO was perfectly content with having the show skip a year so that they could sit on their asses, then no time was actually saved here. If the goal was to move on with their careers asap, there were plenty of other, easier ways to do it. They could have rushed something out in 2018 if they didn't care about rushing things, or could've just wrapped up the story with a longer S7 (which also means that season would've taken longer to air but it would've still dropped sometime last year, cutting a year off their GoT lives).

I'm not even arguing that S8 wasn't rushed - I agree it would've benefited from having a couple more episodes. But those extra couple episodes would not have been make or break for D&D's Star Wars career. An eight-episode season 8 would've still aired this summer, if not still April.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not really invested in the show so I don't care much, but I seem to see the disappointment circling around the fact that it felt extremely rushed, and The path to the ending itself in that regard rather than people didn't like certain things that happened.

Throwing tantrums about how certain media unfold is always silly to me, but it's completely valid to say the writing fucked up if it indeed fucked up. But that's a matter of opinion like anything.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can defend your work without dismissing legitimate criticism, I feel. The issue is her blanket handwaving of anyone unhappy as "people mad things didn't go their way". That's poor form.
The petition is:
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on.

This series deserves a final season that makes sense.

Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!

Talk about poor form. I also don't see a ton of detailed or legitimate criticism, just attacks.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The petition is:
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on.

Talk about poor form. I also don't see a ton of detailed or legitimate criticism, just attacks.
I'm not defending the petition, nor have I ever done so. The petition is fucking stupid.
I am however taking issue with someone who has worked on something deciding to brand all criticism people have of their work as "people aren't happy it didn't go as expected".

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Filming for S8 ran for 9 months. And then there's a shit load of post-production work to follow.

I don't even know what you're arguing. We watched S7 in 2017. We watched S8 in 2019. That's a two-year gap, yes? So unless D&D were sitting on their asses most of that time, and HBO was perfectly content with having the show skip a year so that they could sit on their asses, then no time was actually saved here. If the goal was to move on with their careers asap, there were plenty of other, easier ways to do it. They could have rushed something out in 2018 if they didn't care about rushing things, or could've just wrapped up the story with a longer S7 (which also means that season would've taken longer to air but it would've still dropped sometime last year, cutting a year off their GoT lives).

I'm not even arguing that S8 wasn't rushed - I agree it would've benefited from having a couple more episodes. But those extra couple episodes would not have been make or break for D&D's Star Wars career. An eight-episode season 8 would've still aired this summer, if not still April.

Shooting went from July 2018 to mid December 2018 I believe.

This story if we are gonna be real really actually needed another 10 episode FULL season.

You can rush some shows but that was never GoT's forte, GoT was always about the slow burn and character pieces not plot being rammed down ones throat.

Trying to accelerate this show was always a bad idea, but doing so for the finale ... you're really begging to be burned now.

They needed to seriously be honest with themselves and admit they had too much story to do in just one season and owned up to that and let someone else finish the show if they just had to move on for Star Wars 2022.

But they couldn't do that. Which hilariously somewhat mirrors what TV Dany does.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The petition is:

Yeah, when people starting to defend this shit petition you know they are off the deep end.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I doubt she's seen much in the way of legitimate criticism though, it's hard to filter through the shit. Also quite a lot of the criticism is about Dany not being on the throne (most of the arguments I've been having have been with Dany avatars...) so while sure it is blanket handwaving as there other criticisms, I can see why she said it.

Out of interest what did you expect her to say to that question? Of course she's biased and that leads to handwaving, we all do it, though. I really don't see what else she could have said about the criticism when a lot of it is just noise.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not no one, anyone who hasn't engaged with the show would be unbiased. And yes you are less biased but you got Targaryen in your username.

But I got Targaryen in my username? And we should let people who are not engaged review this season or something?

source.gif

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt she's seen much in the way of legitimate criticism though, it's hard to filter through the shit. Also quite a lot of the criticism is about Dany not being on the throne (most of the arguments I've been having have been with Dany avatars...) so while sure it is blanket handwaving as there other criticisms, I can see why she said it.

Out of interest what did you expect her to say to that question? Of course she's biased and that leads to handwaving, we all do it, though. I really don't see what else she could have said about the criticism when a lot of it is just noise.
I would have responded with "I can see a lot of fans are presumably unhappy with the ending of this series, and while I sympathize with their disappointment, I would like to say that I stand by our work, and am proud of what we delivered."

This acknowledges the issue, does not trivialize it, and also maintains support for my work.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not defending the petition, nor have I ever done so. The petition is fucking stupid.
I am however taking issue with someone who has worked on something deciding to brand all criticism people have of their work as "people aren't happy it didn't go as expected".
This whole thread is about the petition. The petition is shit, doesnt have anything to do with legitimate critisism. You might have a legitimate critisism bit that petition does not.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Her comments were specific to the petition, not to all fans who had some qualms or misgivings.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that Disney acquired X-Men already, otherwise she would have to endure two huge petitions back to back. Hoping she turns her internet off when Dark Phoenix reviews hit.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The petition is super dumb but criticism isn't disrespectful and I'd guess a good portion of those that signed it are only using the petition as "I don't like this at all" button. Don't think anyone with a slither of sanity really thinks it would refilmed or whatever.

With that being said I can totally understand why she would be protective of people that are probably her friends of 11 years, friends she made art with. I just hope the worst elements of this fandom don't make her target, probably a fruitless hope though.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The petition would require everyone involved - cast, crew, extras, staff- to fly back and reshoot their scenes for months. It's disrespectful, it's also an embarrassing example of the worst and most entitled nerds.

Neither the petition's creator nor the vast majority of the signers take the petition's title literally, and anecdotally, virtually all the criticism I've seen and participated in of the season has been exclusively of the writing/showrunners — not the crew, not the actors. Hell, there's been a groundswell of support for Emilia Clarke, who delivered an excellent performance attempting to salvage this season's poor writing, and who has openly talked about how her character's treatment this season grieved her.

This petition is just a message. Another avenue to express displeasure with the showrunners' decision to rush to a poorly realized ending, rather than taking their time to do the material justice (or if they were tired of it, passing the baton). We know HBO wanted more episodes and seasons, and was prepared to give them all the resources necessary to make that happen — but D&D declined.

Again, there is no actual expectation that the season could or would be remade. The message is simply "this was poorly written enough that it should be." And you know what? If that makes HBO reconsider allowing their shows to be rushed off so the showrunners can go to other projects, or if this negative PR makes Disney/LucasFilms back off of hiring D&D, who've demonstrated a consistent propensity for misogynistic, homophobic, and racist writing/decisions... well, I would be okay with that too.

Oct 25, 2017
The petition is:

Lmfao, might as well ask for an extended cut.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I would have responded with "I can see a lot of fans are presumably unhappy with the ending of this series, and while I sympathize with their disappointment, I would like to say that I stand by our work, and am proud of what we delivered."

This acknowledges the issue, does not trivialize it, and also maintains support for my work.

Ok that's fair but the question asked about vitriol, is that how she should really respond to vitriol, by basically sympathizing?

This article gives an insight into the mental health issues she's gone through, out of all of the cast she has got some of the most hate:

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/tv-film/game-thrones/sophie-turner-sansa-stark-break/

So I forgive her for not being particularly diplomatic with her response. Again, sure it is handwaving, but it wasn't exactly a deep dive into her thoughts so I wouldn't drag her too much for making a blanket statement.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand it is hard to accept that something you have worked hard on, just isn't good enough. But sometimes it just isn't good enough. And as an actor, she'll really need to learn because the chance is high she'll have more flops to come.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The petition is:

Funny that you ignore the massive follow-up the creator made after the petition he clearly made in jest blew up:

As this petition approaches (EDIT: surpasses!) a million signatures, I figured I should give a real update and explanation.
I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, "The Last of the Starks", aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, "Hey, is this you?" The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn't checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come!

I haven't heard from anyone HBO-related. I don't think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger's Joker once said, "It's not about the money, it's about sending a message." And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I've been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I've read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let's be real) has been handled.

Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn't exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I'd doubt it, but that's GRRM's decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it's HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and "everybody is stupid" syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin.

D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice.

I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are.

And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show.

In closing, I didn't make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I've got plenty of ideas, but no, I'm not a Hollywood writer. But you don't need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

Valar Morghulis

-Dylan

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
What was the point of you mentioning them then? Semantics?

Apologies, I didn't realise having Targaryen in my username would make me biased. I can no longer critique this season apparently.
I never mentioned reviewers, I said someone who hasn't engaged with the show would be unbiased.

Anyone who watched it has a biased oppinion you, me, reviewer's. I never said you cant criticize, but you cant attack someones oppinion as biased when you yourself are.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's fair but the question asked about vitriol, is that how she should really respond to vitriol, by basically sympathizing?

This article gives an insight into the mental health issues she's gone through, out of all of the cast she has got some of the most hate:

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/tv-film/game-thrones/sophie-turner-sansa-stark-break/

So I forgive her for not being particularly diplomatic with her response. Again, sure it is handwaving, but it wasn't exactly a deep dive into her thoughts so I wouldn't drag her too much for making a blanket statement.
If the past is anything to go by, she's about to get dunked on by rabid mobs on YT and the like.
Hope that isn't the case.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Funny that you ignore the massive follow-up the creator made after the petition he clearly made in jest blew up:

After 1 mil people had signed it for the original reason that was stated in the petition...

The maker of the petition trying to walk back on it some doesn't change what happened before.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand it is hard to accept that something you have worked hard on, just isn't good enough. But sometimes it just isn't good enough. And as an actor, she'll really need to learn because the chance is high she'll have more flops to come.

It's probably also tough because GoT has largely lived a charmed life for most of its run.

It has been the golden child of TV since 2011 ... having such a negative blow back from a defining final season is probably hard to accept.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, I agree with all of that. I was not aware of her larger struggles with mental health at all, so I apologize for my earlier comment.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither the petition's creator nor the vast majority of the signers take the petition's title literally, and anecdotally, virtually all the criticism I've seen and participated in of the season has been exclusively of the writing/showrunners — not the crew, not the actors. Hell, there's been a groundswell of support for Emilia Clarke, who delivered an excellent performance attempting to salvage this season's poor writing, and who has openly talked about how her character's treatment this season grieved her.

This petition is just a message. Another avenue to express displeasure with the showrunners' decision to rush to a poorly realized ending, rather than taking their time to do the material justice (or if they were tired of it, passing the baton). We know HBO wanted more episodes and seasons, and was prepared to give them all the resources necessary to make that happen — but D&D declined.

Again, there is no actual expectation that the season could or would be remade. The message is simply "this was poorly written enough that it should be." And you know what? If that makes HBO reconsider allowing their shows to be rushed off so the showrunners can go to other projects, or if this negative PR makes Disney/LucasFilms back off of hiring D&D, who've demonstrated a consistent propensity for misogynistic, homophobic, and racist writing/decisions... well, I would be okay with that too.

What do the people who signed the petition expect to get out of the message they are sending?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do the people who signed the petition expect to get out of the message they are sending?

Ideally, these underqualified, mediocre, and frequently bigoted white men are fired from Star Wars and replaced with a woman or person of color to give that franchise some much-needed diversity behind the camera. More ideally, they never work in Hollywood again.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never mentioned reviewers, I said someone who hasn't engaged with the show would be unbiased.

Anyone who watched it has a biased oppinion you, me, reviewer's. I never said you cant criticize, but you cant attack someones oppinion as biased when you yourself are.

That was my question, what's the point of mentioning people who aren't engaged with the show?

Because you're arguing fucking semantics, I never attacked her opinion, it's simply a fact that she's biased, and it doesn't take rocket science to realise that she's a shitton more biased than people who watch the show but haven't worked on it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
After 1 mil people had signed it for the original reason that was stated in the petition...

The maker of the petition trying to walk back on it some doesn't change what happened before.

"What happened before" was that a petition blew up due to elements in play that were out of that guy's control.

Are you expecting us to turn him into a pariah because he didn't immediately take it down at the first instance of it getting big? If so then you're severely overestimating the actual impact this petition has and will have; either that or severely overestimating the severity of what the petition 'demands'.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, these underqualified, mediocre, and frequently bigoted white men are fired from Star Wars and replaced with a woman or person of color to give that franchise some much-needed diversity behind the camera. More ideally, they never work in Hollywood again.

What in the flying fuck. You gotta be fucking kidding. Jesus christ.

This is morbid and just...

fucking hell...

You are taking this way too fucking serious. Especially the last part.

Holy shit.