• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the flying fuck. You gotta be fucking kidding. Jesus christ.

This is morbid and just...

fucking hell...

You are taking this way too fucking serious.

Why are they entitled to a job making millions of dollars as a writer or director? They can go get a normal job like the rest of us.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are they entitled to a job making millions of dollars as a writer or director? They can go get a normal job like the rest of us.

Normal job? It's a job that earned them lots of money. Some people have jobs that earns them tons of money.

Having 2 writers never to be allowed to work in Hollywood because they didn't tell the story you wanted is insane.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure she's getting a ton of shit from TRUE FANS for this, but I see where she's coming from. Even as someone who can admit that the final season was rushed as hell and had numerous flaws, the petition is fucking idiotic and it's entirely understandable that someone who worked on the show from the very beginning would defend it, having seen firsthand the sheer amount of work and effort put into it in order to make it the undeniably gargantuan success it was and is.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Wait, GoT is responsible for the problems with capitalism now?

Don't get me wrong: I don't think anyone should earn millions while others starve.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This show really needed longer than that to end and they only spent 6 months actually filming it.

They needed really two more seasons probably given all that needed to be covered, but you can't have Star Wars until 2025 if that's the case.

Condensing the show and rushing the ending as much as possible was the compromise that was chosen. I don't think history will judge that decision well.
I agree. It's simply rushed. (Well it also had bad writing, din't get me wrong..). Two seasons seems a bit much imo but that certainly could have worked. For this season three or four episodes would have helped a lot in storybuilding and ending character-arcs properly.
The petition isn't actually asking for a remake of the season it's a message of disappointment.
It is asking for that literally and why ask something when you actually want another thing? People do want a remake. But a lot of people want different things remade in different ways. So that's why now it's suddenly a signal. Because people realize there would never be consensus among different fans of different characters and storylines. So it's an ineffective petition and all It has done is become a huge internet event that people wanted to be part of.
For different reasons.
The use of a petition does not have to be one dimensional. People can use or hop onto this petition for whatever they reason they want.
and they did. It is one dimesional now. The only critisism that was conveyed was: D&D are horrible writers.
But a lot of people mean different things with that since they root for different outcomes. It's not like there is any consensus among people who signed that petition. The final season was rushed. Episode 4 is absolute proof for that. That should have been multiple episodes. But the petition doesn't give any constructive criticism at all. It doesn't help in any way.
People are now just happy they were part of that. With no result aside from sad actors.

Last edited:

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Easy for her to say when the whole season 8 left in my heart couldn't be filled with six kingdoms.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A petition asking for a remake is asking the cast/crew to re-do a whole lot of work as well. Hence, you see some of the cast actively annoyed by it.

Doesn't the petition literally say it is not seriously asking for a remake just that it's a venue to express disappointment?

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Just signed the petition. It took less than a minute.
This is just a harmless way to vent some frustration, I doubt there are many people who are seriously expecting this season to be remade

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sure, I agree with all of that. I was not aware of her larger struggles with mental health at all, so I apologize for my earlier comment.

That's cool. I do understand your point of view about the handwaving and Sophie isn't the only one to do it either. It is frustrating that constructive criticism gets lost and lumped in with all the other trash that gets posted on the internet and it does seem like they are missing the point like you said. The passionate criticism is mainly because they have all done such a great job of getting us completely consumed by the world of GoT and if they could see that and see what the criticisms were aimed at and ignore all the insults then that would be cool.. Maybe one day.

But I choose to look at it from their point of view and I would do exactly what they are doing right now. Especially if what they thought they created was incredible and amazing and then they go on social media and see all the complaints. It can't be easy, whether that is part of fame/money or not.

"What happened before" was that a petition blew up due to elements in play that were out of that guy's control.

Are you expecting us to turn him into a pariah because he didn't immediately take it down at the first instance of it getting big? If so then you're severely overestimating the actual impact this petition has and will have.

I'm not putting the blame just on the petition creator, all he did was decide to start a hot take petition, and yeah it blew up. All the people that signed it before he clarified what he meant to achieve with the petition though...

Doesn't the petition literally say it is not seriously asking for a remake just that it's a venue to express disappointment?

Only after it reached 1 mil signatures did the guy update saying that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not putting the blame just on the petition creator, all he did was decide to start a hot take petition, and yeah it blew up. All the people that signed it before he clarified what he meant to achieve with the petition though...

...probably had the same view of the situation as the update or simply didn't care too much about something they knew was just a silly message.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a message to HBO to handle a situation like this differently the next time, like the spin off show(s) that are going to come.

In which way different? To push the writers to make more episodes? To contractually obligate writers to write more than they say?

How is HBO suppose to know that let's say 3 season with 10 episodes each is too little for The Long Night prequel and it needs 4 seasons?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
...probably had the same view of the situation as the update or simply didn't care too much about something they knew was just a silly message.

From all the stuff I read after it aired I wouldn't be so sure.

Edit: Read through some of the "reasons for signing" to get an idea of what I mean.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What do the people who signed the petition expect to get out of the message they are sending?

Well, personally, I'd prefer it if D&D — who as I said, have demonstrated a constant propensity for all sorts of grossness, to say nothing of their poor original screenwriting capability — didn't have a guiding hand on a second major pop cultural phenomenon, because the nihilistic and ignorant views they espouse through their writing are incompatible with a Disney/LucasFilms that is committed to diversity, and their writing style is pure "Shock Value" trash.

But I can't wait to be quoted and dismissed as some angry fan because I talk about values and hold writers to standards higher than the ground, lol.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, personally, I'd prefer it if D&D — who as I said, have demonstrated a constant propensity for all sorts of grossness, to say nothing of their poor original screenwriting capability — didn't have a guiding hand on a second major pop cultural phenomenon, because the nihilistic and ignorant views they espouse through their writing are incompatible with a Disney/LucasFilms that is committed to diversity.

But I can't wait to be quoted and dismissed as some angry fan because I talk about values and hold writers to standards higher than the ground, lol.

Well did you write that in a comment in the petition? Because the petition doesn't mention anything about diversity as far as I know.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's a dumb petition, but we all know it ain't gonna happen, so people should just ignore it.

Just let these people vent by signing the petition. They'll move on eventually. Heck I bet most of the people who signed will still watch the prequels or even D&D's Star Wars films.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In which way different? To push the writers to make more episodes? To contractually obligate writers to write more than they say?

How is HBO suppose to know that let's say 3 season with 10 episodes each is too little for The Long Night prequel and it needs 4 seasons?
To not sign contracts with showrunners that give them total control. They got fucked over because of that. D&D would've been let go ages ago.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No pushing, but let writers go when they are not fully on board anymore, and keep a closer eye on the quality. GRRM even said it needed more seasons.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well did you write that in a comment in the petition? Because the petition doesn't mention anything about diversity as far as I know.

Yes, I did. :)

I imagine people have all sorts of varying problems with GOT's writing, which they are venting through the petition — some with specificity, some not. The petition's message of "this isn't good enough" is broadly fine, though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, personally, I'd prefer it if D&D — who as I said, have demonstrated a constant propensity for all sorts of grossness, to say nothing of their poor original screenwriting capability — didn't have a guiding hand on a second major pop cultural phenomenon, because the nihilistic and ignorant views they espouse through their writing are incompatible with a Disney/LucasFilms that is committed to diversity.

I mean, this I get.

People dogpiled on the Dexter finale showrunner Scott Buck too after it aired. Why? Because people kind of knew what to expect from him after that.

So... yeah, people got what they expected.
Marvels-Inhumans-Rotten-Tomatoes-766x495.jpg

1CKszDz.png

If you're not a fan of what D&D were making, there's good reason to assume that moving them to an even bigger project - like Star Wars - might not produce the results you want either.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To not sign contracts with showrunners that give them total control. They got fucked over because of that. D&D would've been let go ages ago.
No pushing, but let writers go when they are not fully on board anymore, and keep a closer eye on the quality. GRRM even said it needed more seasons.

I can see this point better, but do we know that D&D had full control and the contract said only they could run the show?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, personally, I'd prefer it if D&D — who as I said, have demonstrated a constant propensity for all sorts of grossness, to say nothing of their poor original screenwriting capability — didn't have a guiding hand on a second major pop cultural phenomenon, because the nihilistic and ignorant views they espouse through their writing are incompatible with a Disney/LucasFilms that is committed to diversity, and their writing style is pure "Shock Value" trash.

You'd be right to tell them that. The petition doesn't say a fucking thing though. Just "D&D suck!"

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You'd be right to tell them that. The petition doesn't say a fucking thing though. Just "D&D suck!"

My comment did. But "D&D suck" is, broadly, very correct. So I don't mind signing the petition as a message, even if no one reads my comment.

It's telling that S8's final episodes, despite their herculean budgets and effects, are so lowly rated. The writing is simply not there, because they, as writers, are simply not there.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You are being obtuse. The other reason being the totally reasonable expectation of not wanting to work on the same thing for 10+ years? To want to do something else? It's some real world shit to accept I know, but things you like won't always be around forever. They had no books to base the show off of, they were at the end, and didn't want to create new original GOT content. Pretty simple what happened.

This. You don't want ruin too much of a good thing by being stagnant simply for having too many seasons & having a show no longer be enjoyable because of that.

Look at The Simpsons, for example.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018

Petition Update

I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, "The Last of the Starks", aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, "Hey, is this you?" The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn't checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come!

I haven't heard from anyone HBO-related. I don't think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger's Joker once said, "It's not about the money, it's about sending a message." And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I've been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I've read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let's be real) has been handled.

Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn't exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I'd doubt it, but that's GRRM's decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it's HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and "everybody is stupid" syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin.

D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice.

I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are.

And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show.

In closing, I didn't make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I've got plenty of ideas, but no, I'm not a Hollywood writer. But you don't need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

Valar Morghulis

-Dylan

Post-1 million update: No word yet, folks. I want to keep this update as the main link you see on the petition since it clarifies the main post much better than any follow-up. I promise that if HBO contacts me, with any words at all, I will share here as a whole new update when I can. I have not been paid off (or paid anything), as some people have suggested, and I do not receive any money from the donations made here. Thank you again for the support and kind words! Ours is the Fury!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grow up, fellow nerds. It is what it is.

Oh but Square better not dare add an inch to Tifa's mini skirt in FFVII Remake or we'll call censorship until the cows come home!

Plum

May 31, 2018
So it's done to show frustration and dissapointment but he will share any messages HBO sends? Sounds like they all don't want to secretly admit they want the season redone but even they know it's mad to demand it in earnest.

That's some weird extrapolation from the petition maker saying they'd share any updates if they get them.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on.

This series deserves a final season that makes sense.

Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!

Aka "D&D sucks, make me a new season 8, HBO!".

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no source.

You are just assuming.
They flat out said it in an interview. Read between the lines. You seem so interested in not believing anything.

More recently, HBO offered the showrunners more money and time to at least add more episodes to the final season, after eight seasons, the last two being shortened, was concocted as a compromise.

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season," Benioff said. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."

And then there's George RR Martin, who has always thought the show was cutting too much from the books. A long time ago he said the 10 episode seasons should be more like 13, and more recently he's said that the show could continue well, well beyond eight seasons. Here's him at the Emmys last year:

"I don't know," Martin said. "Ask David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] when they come through. We could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...nes-final-seasons-was-a-mistake/#7736f147788a

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
That's some weird extrapolation from the petition maker saying they'd share any updates if they get them.
Not really. It's a lot like when someone does something just to get a message out but they secretly refresh their gmail waiting for a response. It's the ultimate, "it doesn't matter" scenario because if they don't get a response then he has already said they don't care and don't actually believe they will get a response / redo. If they do get a response he will share it with everyone. He is open to communication with HBO and that's the branch that is extended. He would like a response but has enough deniability that he can *shrug* it off if there is none.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So no source.

You are just assuming.

It would behoove you to do five seconds of googling, yourself, if you're skeptical of something. Martin has been open for years about wanting them to do more seasons than they planned, and HBO has too. D&D even confirmed it themselves.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-emmys-1202945427/

"We could've gone 11, 12, 13 seasons," George R. R. Martintold Variety at the Primetime Emmys red carpet on Monday, where "Game of Thrones" leads the nominations with 22. He said the decision to end the series now was up to showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

"David and Dan have been saying for like five seasons that seven seasons is all they would go," the "Game of Thrones" author continued. "We got them to go to eight but not any more than that. There was a period like five years ago when they were saying seven seasons and I was saying 10 seasons and they won, they're the ones actually working on it."

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-8-showrunners-interview/

Interviewer: You told me back when filming season 3 that you were thinking of doing the final season as three movies because you couldn't imagine pulling off what you and George had in mind on a television budget. Do you feel like you've been able to do what you envisioned years ago?

WEISS: Yes. To their credit, they put their money where their mouths are — literally stuffed their mouth full of million-dollar bills which don't exist anymore. They said, "We'll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be, and if what it needs to be is a summer tentpole-size spectacle in places, then that's what it will be."

BENIOFF: HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season. We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-t...794/game-of-thrones-ending-too-quickly-pacing

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't realize I'm not allowed to criticize a thing because somebody worked hard on it. I'll be quiet and just eat it up like a good consumer.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone has their trigger... A Phantom Menace. A Clone Saga. A Dexter lumberjack. A Hydra Cap. A Carol Danvers pregnancy. Jumping the Shark. Punching the Boulder. A Metroid Other M. Nuking the Fridge. Etc.

And everyone, myself included, will probably want to rage about something eventually.

*shrug* It is what it is.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
That was my question, what's the point of mentioning people who aren't engaged with the show?

Because you're arguing fucking semantics, I never attacked her opinion, it's simply a fact that she's biased, and it doesn't take rocket science to realise that she's a shitton more biased than people who watch the show but haven't worked on it.
Your discrediting her opinion by mentioning it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the message is to tread fucking carefully when you have a cultural phenomenon on your hands and don't rush it.
You're damned either way. Lots of shows lingered and had fans worried that they went a season or two too long (Dexter, Lost, Seinfeld, etc...). I don't think the honchos at HBO said "fuck it, let's wrap it up quickly regardless of quality". There was no ill intent on their behalf from all we know.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I saw the spoilers and understand that they rushed this season. With that said, this petition thing is hilariously sad and wrong on all levels, in my opinion. I don't even like Sophie Turner, but she is spot on here.